Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • 10 - Best phone I've ever had

9 33.33%

8 29.63%

5 18.52%

1 3.70%

0 0%
  • 5 - Not impressed. Decent phone, but there are a lot of better ones.

2 7.41%

1 3.70%

0 0%

0 0%
  • 1 - Worst phone ever (aka a bitter BlackBerry fan)

1 3.70%
    Alright guys, now that most of us have received our iPhone 4Ss, or have at least interacted with them, let's hear your thoughts. Write a review if you'd like, vote on the poll, or both.

Here's my spontaneous, completely unmeditated initial findings:

First and foremost, I want to acknowledge I upgraded from the iPhone 4 to the iPhone 4S; got my pre-order on as soon as Apple.com went live just over a week ago. I had to wait outside a house I no longer occupy as the billing address for AT&T was still documented at this place. So I started the waiting for the familiar iPhone-release-day delivery off with a great deal of nostalgia, not only from the great times I had experienced there, but also from the familiarity of waiting with unbearable anticipation for my new iPhone as I had started off just a few years ago going from a Samsung Juke to iPhone 3GS at this same house. I got there around 9:30 and waited an hour until a FedEx truck was spotted in my rearview mirror only to fly by me as soon as I hopped off my Razor scooter to greet him. Disappointment was surprisingly not an emotion I felt, I was still soaking up the nostalgia and listening to some tunes solo style. Anyways, around 11:30 I finally got it and had to rip it open just to see what the damn box looked like. iCloud was the first logo I saw. Odd, I thought, as it's usually the same minimalistic formula for Apple's boxes on all their products; white box displaying the product inside with the name in at least one spot, and at least one Apple logo in another. Oh well, I ran back to my current abode to plug this thing into iTunes and get it running, not thinking that it already runs iOS 5 so that was completely unnecessary. Whatever, the excitement was clouding my mind... get it??? More proof of that was when I went to AT&T to see if they could do it quicker not thinking that they would end up doing the exact same thing I was doing over and over. I felt remorse for letting the AT&T employees fondle my prized possession with their grimy hands more-so than I did from having to wait for them to do what it was I had already been doing. I then left for the Apple store to pick up the one-and-only screen protector worthy of residing on my iPhone: Power Support anti-glare. I had a back 'screen' protector leftover so I was finally ready to go. I asked for some AppleCare+ but apparently Apple couldn't do that for me, I had to "call AppleCare." Back to AT&T as they said that they can sell it to me. I got it. $99.

Alright...

Hardware:
    As everyone knows, the iPhone 4S is infamously -- or famously, depending on who you ask -- unchanged from the aesthetics standpoint of the iPhone 4, sans the antennae band location. I personally couldn't care less that it wasn't the fabled 'teardrop' crap because I love the glass look of the iP4, the screen size doesn't bother me (plus I think the teardrop mockup looked really, really dumb. The only real differences in hardware are the upgraded processor -- from single core 1GHz to dual-core 1GHz, both being underclocked to 800MHz --, upgraded camera -- from 5MP (better than most Android 8MP) to 8MP --, and upgraded video recording -- from 720p HD to 1080p HD. There are a few minute internal upgrades, but going from 1420mAh battery to 1430mAh isn't much to boast about.
    Dual-Core: The processor bump is a welcome upgrade, but realistically, Apple does a great job making their software and hardware work well together so while the change in speed is noticeable, it's probably not a big deal for most people (although the time it takes to open the Camera app and start taking picture, simultaneously too, is quite impressive).
    Camera: The camera, as usual, is the finest on any smartphone in the world. I said it. Because Apple manufactures their Hardware AND software and tweaks the components after purchased from other manufacturers, they take great pride in every product they put out, down to every last detail. So it's no surprise Apple insists on having the best consumer-electronic phone; they know most people take pictures on the go so they want the best competitive camera out there that will most certainly dwarf many, if not all, other phones. This camera is great -- although after the iPhone 4, a camera spec increase isn't as much to "ooh and ahh" about because great cameras are expected on phones these days (starting with the 4, for me, although the 3GS at the time was incredible to me as well).
    Video: Haven't had a chance to take a video worth capturing, but if the videos I've seen are any indicator, Apple is the frontrunner yet again in the mobile video camera market. Image stabilization is going to be a HUGE DEAL!

Software:
    As you know, the new iPhone is running iOS 5 which is a great OS. iMessage is sensational as it increases receiving and sending speeds, especially over wifi, allows for conversational chats between multiple people, and eliminates messaging fees on your carrier bill among other things. Notifications are immaculate; no more interruption when surfing the internet, no more raging at your game as you get halted against your will right before you hit one of the triple spikes on The Impossible Game, and we get some cool little Stock and Weather widgets which come in handy. Of course... Siri. Siri is so cool. SO. COOL. People think this thing is a gimmick, and I can see where they were coming from, but after using Siri, I realized this is big. I have Artificial Intelligence in my pocket that almost fully understands me and it's only in Beta. Last night, driving home, I asked Siri what day Dec. 13th was as I need to request it off from work, and she told me in a second flat, then I asked her to set my alarm for work tomorrow and she did. It sounds trivial but Siri will definitely be useful and almost equally important, it will be fun to play around with. Siri is a hoot and can keep you entertained. Not to mention it will blow away a lot of people when you show them the capabilities. I showed my mom and stepdad and within a couple minutes my mom was getting scared, referencing an old movie in which Artificial Intelligence takes over the human race. Siri is no gimmick, many anti-Appler's will tell you otherwise, but until you use Siri, you will know that this is big and may very well be "the next big thing" in technology.

Conclusion:
    A lot of people were upset that this wasn't a big update, but if you compare the specs, this is on par with the biggest iPhone update in history. Of course that's debatable. Although I certainly see where people are coming from, this new iPhone is yet again the best phone on the market. The iPhone 4 was, and is, still competitive with the biggest and baddest BlackBerry phones, Windows phones, and Android, and the best selling phone up until the iPhone 4S, so there's no reason to believe the new 4S won't be absolutely amazing. I can certainly say it is in my experience.
    Last edited by dalton4L; 10-16-11 at 01:20 AM.
    10-15-11 08:45 PM
    It's smoother (yes smoother) than the i4. Way better camera. Faster browser and transitioning between apps. Siri is amazing, and my battery life is at least 15% better than my i4. What's not to like?
    lssanjose likes this.
    10-15-11 08:55 PM
    its way better than the past gen of iphone
    10-18-11 10:14 PM
    more faster, better camera and fast browsing
    10-18-11 10:15 PM
    this is a great poll.
    10-18-11 10:16 PM
    oh i forgot. siri is very amazing..thats make it unique and way more better than the past version
    10-18-11 10:17 PM
    UPDATE: battery life seems a little weaker than my iPhone 4. If battery were a 10 on the iPhone 4, I'd give it about a 7 on the 4S. Maybe this is just mine...?

Siri is awesome, makes things super convenient: So far I've called a friend while driving instead of taking my eyes off the road and wasting time clicking through the phone app, set up an appointment with the doctor on my calendar, set a reminder to email my assignment to a teacher when I got home, checked what day December 13th is, dictated texts when only one hand was free, check weather while on a tight schedule, wowed every one of my friends and family members, killed time, diverted boredom, etc. This is with only maybe 15 minutes of total Siri use.

this is a great poll.
    Only problem is no votes haha.
    lssanjose likes this.
    10-19-11 12:16 AM
    You did that while driving? Ill stay off the roads you are on. My phone is hooked up through my NAV and I don't use it unless absolutely necessary.

Not wowed at all by siri takes way to long. But to each their own.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-19-11 07:06 AM
    I voted 9, it'sbpretty awesome. But I have to say that it isn't my personal phone. I have been hacking out my parents. It's really a nice unit, food smooth UI. Great for them for sure! It is tempting me!
    10-19-11 07:09 AM

Siri is awesome, makes things super convenient: So far I've called a friend while driving instead of taking my eyes off the road and wasting time clicking through the phone app, set up an appointment with the doctor on my calendar, set a reminder to email my assignment to a teacher when I got home, checked what day December 13th is, dictated texts when only one hand was free, check weather while on a tight schedule, wowed every one of my friends and family members, killed time, diverted boredom, etc. This is with only maybe 15 minutes of total Siri use.

Siri has a really stupid limitation. If you switch the language to U.K. English, it won't look up addresses on U.S. maps. How dumb is that??
    10-19-11 07:57 PM
    It is definitely not the best phone I have ever had but i truly believe it's an 8. A very good phone.
    10-23-11 09:51 PM
    UPDATE: battery life seems a little weaker than my iPhone 4. If battery were a 10 on the iPhone 4, I'd give it about a 7 on the 4S. Maybe this is just mine...?

Only problem is no votes haha.
    Depending on how much you are using Siri that is probably the reason for your battery issues.
    10-24-11 08:59 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD