So with all the complaining about the 4S not being the 5 I got curious as to how it would sell. I went to the three carriers and as of 9pm AZ time this is what I found. 8, 32 and 64 gig versions are still available but the 16 is a different story.

Verizon = delivery by 21st.
    AT&T = ships in 14 to 21 days.
    Sprint = out of stock.

Be interesting to see if it is a trend or just an unsustainable newness thing.
    10-07-11 11:46 PM
    199 dollar one is the sweet spot.So expect that to sell well.I am not too sure about 399 one.
    10-08-11 12:08 AM
    Yes, I hear Sprint is out of stock. The gamble may pay off for Sprint.
    10-08-11 12:11 AM
    All pre-orders are sold out now.
    10-08-11 12:34 AM
    All pre-orders are sold out now.
    Not bad for a "disappointment."
    10-08-11 12:50 AM
    Not bad for a "disappointment."
    That's exactly what I'm saying hahaha. Fastest selling iPhone to date, too.
    10-08-11 12:57 AM
    And the reason is nobody else seems to want to be in the smartphone market at the time. Nothing is jumping out and saying buy me. It will but who and what will it be. They will be giving playbooks away for 299 soon. Dead in the water. Ipad owns the pad market and I do not own a pad so I have no outside interest. I do however have a big interest in somebody putting out a phone that excites me. Iam on the upper end of the middle age scale so I am not a gamer. I am however a prson who uses the net constantly and email and text and phone. So tthe solution is get a pad and a phone. I have always had BB but times are changing and it looks like I may have to go with them unless RIM gets off their dead *** and puts out something that catches the eye. Everybody says 9900. Not even close. Its a step up but about a year behind.New I4S is about a year behind. Samsung Galaxy 2 S is the closest to an eye catcher right now and the battery life is 3 hours. When will they figure out that these phones are power hungry and put a battey in them that lasts. The technology is there its just expensive. Seems the 200 price point is where the phones are going to lay and stay.
    10-08-11 01:21 AM
    And the reason is nobody else seems to want to be in the smartphone market at the time. Nothing is jumping out and saying buy me. It will but who and what will it be. They will be giving playbooks away for 299 soon. Dead in the water. Ipad owns the pad market and I do not own a pad so I have no outside interest. I do however have a big interest in somebody putting out a phone that excites me. Iam on the upper end of the middle age scale so I am not a gamer. I am however a prson who uses the net constantly and email and text and phone. So tthe solution is get a pad and a phone. I have always had BB but times are changing and it looks like I may have to go with them unless RIM gets off their dead *** and puts out something that catches the eye. Everybody says 9900. Not even close. Its a step up but about a year behind.New I4S is about a year behind. Samsung Galaxy 2 S is the closest to an eye catcher right now and the battery life is 3 hours. When will they figure out that these phones are power hungry and put a battey in them that lasts. The technology is there its just expensive. Seems the 200 price point is where the phones are going to lay and stay.
    Not sure what GSII you've used, but mine gets more over 24 hours with heavy usage. probably gets 36 hours as I have never let it die or even hit critical (red) before I swap it out for another battery.

I'm also not sure how the 4S is a year behind, without you having used it. I don't know about you, but I don't know of any mobile OS using SIRI or something like it. The iPad has half the RAM all the "top-end" tablets have and yet performs on par if not better.

For the 99xx, I love this device and if I could only have one device, I'd probably go with the 99xx over iOS or Android right now. Most reliable and best way to send/receive a message, quickly. It also seems to have the best call quality and works with my bluetooth devices, flawlessly.
    lssanjose and avt123 like this.
    10-08-11 01:58 AM

If you are using the net, email, text, and phone constantly, then a good phone, not a tablet and a phone, would be your best solution. Tablets, as they say, are the "jack of all trades, masters of none." On-the-go, you might be up in the air about carrying a 7" tablet with you all the time; you definitely don't want a 10" tablet.

My question is also the same about "a year behind." How is the 9900 a year behind outside of perhaps the OS which is being overhauled early next year? 768MB of RAM is between the 512/1024 phones are getting right now. Snapdragon processor at 1.2Ghz is also excellent. Oddly enough, you don't need dual-core in a business phone to run smoothly. As you personally said, you are "not a gamer." Has good radios and connections. Heck, the specs are even close to the new Sensation XL from HTC; will you say that phone is a year behind as well? Finally, screen size: again, not everyone wants a 4"+ slab for a phone (weird, isn't it? People wanting different things....).

Next, how the heck is the Iphone4S a year behind? It has an excellent processor and probably close to some of the most powerful graphics to date in a phone. RAM is probably around average right now. ****, it has Bluetooth 4.0. 4.0; they skipped over 3 completely.

I'll admit the G2S is an excellent looking phone as well, but I kinda doubt you've used one as the battery life far exceeds 3 hours; of course, you'd assume that if you were making the mistaken generalizations about Android phones.

In terms of battery that "just lasts:" here's the issue. We, as consumers, want the fastest, latest, and best; we want our phone to be connected with 3 or 4 different radios on, playing games and surfing the web on some 4.5" screen. We also want our phones to be light, sexy, and thin. Thin, light phones means you can't use thick batteries. Thinner batteries means less charge time, which when you are running powerhungry phones....there is only so much you can do software and hardware wise to optimize battery life. If battery life is a concern, you'll need to look at phones other than a smartphone.

In terms of technology, the reason for phones being expensive is two-fold. First, handsets are of course subsidized, so the $200 sweet spot is really for a phone between $650 and $850; it's just the carrier gives the company the rest as they make up in billing. Second, remember about consumers wanting everything, the new tech with the best design and battery? Costs money. So it's not more expensive comparatively to other markets; it perhaps seems that way because unlike something like laptops (which you hold onto for a few years if not more), we seem to like having new phones every year or two
    10-08-11 06:39 AM
    US telecommunications giant AT&T Inc says initial demand for the iPhone 4S has made it the most successful iPhone launch the company has ever had.

The company says it received more than 200 thousand pre-orders for the iPhone 4S within the first 12 hours after it started taking taking orders.

Apple is making the latest version of the iPhone available on October 14.
    10-08-11 07:36 AM
    Are iPhones usually out of stock in carrier stores? I heard that stores have a hard time keeping them in stock, not just after launch but for a long time thereafter.
    10-08-11 09:58 AM
    Are iPhones usually out of stock in carrier stores? I heard that stores have a hard time keeping them in stock, not just after launch but for a long time thereafter.
    Yes they are usually ou of stock, last year I remember trying to get one and it taking some people weeks if not over a month to actually find one.
    10-08-11 10:47 AM
    The iPhone is the most wanted smartphone in the industry. Not more than a month ago the iPhone 4 was still being reported as the best selling device on both AT&T and VZW.

I remember last year some people waiting over a month to get one, especially in Canada. I am sure there will be waits this time around as well. It's hard to keep a lot of stock when the device breaks its own record year after year.
    10-08-11 11:15 AM
    The iPhone is the most wanted smartphone in the industry. Not more than a month ago the iPhone 4 was still being reported as the best selling device on both AT&T and VZW.

and not to mention the fact that the 3GS is still the second most popular phone being used today second only to the iphone 4.

once the 4S is available to the masses apple will have the 3 most popular phones currently being used now.
    10-08-11 02:18 PM
    and not to mention the fact that the 3GS is still the second most popular phone being used today second only to the iphone 4.

once the 4S is available to the masses apple will have the 3 most popular phones currently being used now.
    Lol yep if the 4S follows suit (and I'm pretty sure it will). Their only three cellphones on the market will be the most popular. Pretty amazing feat.
    10-08-11 02:27 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD