iPhone 4S Pre-Orders Top One Million in First 24 Hours - MarketWatch

iPhone 4S Pre-Orders Top One Million in First 24 Hours

CUPERTINO, Calif., Oct 10, 2011 (BUSINESS WIRE) -- Apple(R) today announced pre-orders of its iPhone(R) 4S have topped one million in a single day, surpassing the previous single day pre-order record of 600,000 held by iPhone 4. iPhone 4S is the most amazing iPhone yet, packed with incredible new features including Apple's dual-core A5 chip for blazing fast performance and stunning graphics; an all new camera with advanced optics; full 1080p HD resolution video recording; and Siri(TM), an intelligent assistant that helps you get things done just by asking.

"We are blown away with the incredible customer response to iPhone 4S," said Philip Schiller, Apple's senior vice president of Worldwide Product Marketing. "The first day pre-orders for iPhone 4S have been the most for any new product that Apple has ever launched and we are thrilled that customers love iPhone 4S as much as we do."

iPhone 4S will be available at all 245 Apple retail stores in the US beginning at 8 a.m. local time on Friday, October 14. Every customer who buys an iPhone 4S at an Apple retail store will be offered free Personal Setup service, helping them customize their iPhone 4S by setting up email, showing them new apps from the App Store(TM) and more, so they'll be up and running with their new iPhone before they leave the store.

iPhone 4S includes iOS 5, the world's most advanced mobile operating system with over 200 new features, and iCloud(R), a breakthrough set of free cloud services that work seamlessly with your iPhone, iPad(R), iPod touch(R), Mac(R) or PC to automatically and wirelessly store your content in iCloud and push it to all your devices.

Pricing & Availability

iPhone 4S comes in either black or white and will be available in the US for a suggested retail price of $199 (US) for the 16GB model and $299 (US) for the 32GB model and $399 (US) for the new 64GB model.* iPhone 4S will be available from the Apple Online Store, Apple's retail stores and through AT&T, Sprint, Verizon Wireless, and select Best Buy, Target and Walmart stores and select Apple Authorized Resellers. iPhone 4 is available for just $99 (US) and iPhone 3GS is available for free with a two year contract.

iPhone 4S will roll out worldwide to 22 more countries by the end of October including Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Mexico, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland.

*Qualified customers only. Requires a new two year rate plan, sold separately.

Apple designs Macs, the best personal computers in the world, along with OS X, iLife, iWork and professional software. Apple leads the digital music revolution with its iPods and iTunes online store. Apple has reinvented the mobile phone with its revolutionary iPhone and App Store, and has recently introduced iPad 2 which is defining the future of mobile media and computing devices.

NOTE TO EDITORS: For additional information visit Apple's PR website ( Apple - Press Info ), or call Apple's Media Helpline at (408) 974-2042.

(C) 2011 Apple Inc. All rights reserved. Apple, the Apple logo, Mac, Mac OS, Macintosh, iPhone, Siri, App Store, iCloud, iPad and iPod touch are trademarks of Apple. Other company and product names may be trademarks of their respective owners.
    10-10-11 08:08 AM
    Nice.

Obviously there were a few people who were not pissed off that the iPhone 5 wasn't announced....
    10-10-11 08:19 AM
    It is basically an iPhone 5 inside. They just didn't change the outside design. Inside, it's a whole new device.
    MissJennell#IM and Caymancroc like this.
    10-10-11 08:27 AM
    I am neither a fan nor a basher.But I see obvious errors in reporting and I believe based on data this Iphone launch is rather lukewarm.

For Iphone 4 600,000 preorders in one day and it was for AT&T , UK & France.

For Iphone 4S 1 million preorders in one day and it was for AT&T, Verizon, Sprint, Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Japan and the United Kingdom.

This looks a very tepid launch to me, despite the spin.
    Last edited by purijagmohan; 10-10-11 at 08:30 AM. Reason: Edited a mistake
    10-10-11 08:28 AM
    Of course, if this were a BlackBerry launch everyone on this forum would be praising it til the end of time, but because it's Apple...
    10-10-11 08:31 AM
    I am neither a fan nor a basher.But I see obvious errors in reporting and I believe based on data this Iphone launch is rather lukewarm.

For Iphone 4 600,000 preorders in one day and it was for AT&T , UK & France.

For Iphone 4S 1 million preorders in one day and it was for AT&T, Verizon, Sprint, Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Japan and the United Kingdom.

This looks a very tepid launch to me, despite the spin.
    iPhone 4 was made available to US, France, Germany, Japan and the UK for preorders.

iPhone 4S was made available to 2 additional carriers in the US, and 2 more countries (Australia and Canada).

If that accounted for more than 400,000 preorders I would say that's pretty impressive too. Way to try to play down Apple's success - some people are just hard to please.
    Caymancroc likes this.
    10-10-11 08:48 AM
    Funny how Apple will now have the THREE most popular smartphones on the market the 3GS, 4 and 4S and yet BB users are still in denial.
    mrsadkins9399 likes this.
    10-10-11 08:54 AM
    I was honestly expecting an iPhone 5, but the 4S is still an exceptional upgrade. It is better than the 4, by a pretty good amount.

It's great to see that despite the negative media attention, people seem to be all over this device anyways.

Like I said, if they called this the iPhone 5 and changed the case design, the complaints would have been cut down by 75%.
    MissJennell#IM likes this.
    10-10-11 09:48 AM
    Nice.

Obviously there were a few people who were not pissed off that the iPhone 5 wasn't announced....
    That would be people that don't hang out in forums.
    10-10-11 10:18 AM
    That would be people that don't hang out in forums.
    I hang out in forums and I'm not pissed... Quite the opposite, actually.
    10-10-11 11:11 AM
    Funny how Apple will now have the THREE most popular smartphones on the market the 3GS, 4 and 4S and yet BB users are still in denial.
    There's a thread in the news and rumors forum which basically says BB is beating iPhone in India. Kind of embarrassing when you think about it. If India and other dilapidated third world countries is where you are at the top of your game then thats really nothing to brag about. I guess when your a BB enthusiast any news is good news now a days. But seriously who in India is going to offer to sell or has the money to buy an iPhone?

http://forums.crackberry.com/news-ru...iphone-656865/

BTW nothing that's branded Blackberry will ever sell 1 million units when it goes to preorder, you can take that to the bank.
    Last edited by JD914; 10-10-11 at 11:50 AM.
    10-10-11 11:45 AM
    Pretty good for a "disappointment". Awesome.
    10-10-11 12:04 PM
    There's a thread in the news and rumors forum which basically says BB is beating iPhone in India. Kind of embarrassing when you think about it. If India and other dilapidated third world countries is where you are at the top of your game then thats really nothing to brag about. I guess when your a BB enthusiast any news is good news now a days. But seriously who in India is going to offer to sell or has the money to buy an iPhone?

http://forums.crackberry.com/news-ru...iphone-656865/

BTW nothing that's branded Blackberry will ever sell 1 million units when it goes to preorder, you can take that to the bank.
    Wow....

Your post doesn't even dignify a thought-out, logical response to your points based on the sheer number of stereotypes and narrowed assumptions you make about international countries and cultures.

So I'm going to ignore that and say that the numbers are excellent, but partially expected in my opinion. Yes, the media/blogs claim it's just another small upgrade, but realistically, I don't think it is.

Further, by waiting almost 18 months from the iP4, you not only guarantee new customers on AT&T/Verizon/and now Sprint (for the US anyways), not only do you snag those who waited (iPhone/3G/3GS/other device), but you can also market to the iP4 owners who are just now eligible for an upgrade. Smart move, and it paid off in my opinion; the numbers are impressive even taking into account a greater distribution on launch day (more countries/carriers). As others have stated, you'd be pressed to find a phone on any platform with any distribution method or means that comes close to these numbers for the first 24 hours of sales.

Ultimately, this launch (perhaps mediocre to some) sets the playing field: it sets the stage for Apple and iOS for the next 6-12 months, and it provides a chance for competitors to match/exceed the iP4S. Because whether we bleed BlackBerry, Android, WinMo or iOS, deep down we all have to admit that competition is a good thing and keeps companies pushing (or suing) each other; in the end consumers win
    10-10-11 02:09 PM
    I ordered a 32 gb white iphone from sprint because I wanted the iphone 4Steve

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-10-11 03:40 PM
    Steve Jobs is laughing at all of us from the Great Beyond......

especially towards Bill Gates, Steve Balmer, Eric Schmidt, Jim Balsillie, Mike Lazaridis.
    10-10-11 05:47 PM
    Steve Jobs is laughing at all of us from the Great Beyond......

especially towards Bill Gates, Steve Balmer, Eric Schmidt, Jim Balsillie, Mike Lazaridis.
    Maybe we can communicate with him through the "cloud".
    the_sleuth likes this.
    10-10-11 05:49 PM
    apple will be apple
    magnetic pull
    10-13-11 06:57 AM
    that's very mean!! :-)
    10-13-11 10:07 AM
    It is basically an iPhone 5 inside. They just didn't change the outside design. Inside, it's a whole new device.
    Ha HA you are a good sense of humor.. I wish that IP5 come out with big screen and beautiful design look like you.. ( jk)
    10-13-11 01:32 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD