Yes, just like it did during his keynote address.
    Wait...
    I guess you conveniently skipped over the part where it was WIFI congestion from the some 500+ users/bloggers on it at the same time
    06-09-10 12:15 AM
    Just like you're skipping over the error message that came on screen about not being able to connect to the cellular network?
    06-09-10 05:47 AM
    To be fair, GSM doesnt have the greatest building penetration so Im sure where they were at it was hard to get a good signal.
    06-09-10 07:08 AM
    good points.. I'm wondering..

(and love apple, hate apple, like the idea or not, irrelevant to me)

the question (and design) is a good one and has me thinking, is the metal band itself the antenna or is it on the underside. Reason being, it is a portable device and such prone to dings and (hopefully not) drops, not knowing too much about rf and such, if this gets a nick or ding in it would that effect the ability to get perfect signal or would that degrade as the band gets more worn and dinged?
    06-09-10 08:11 AM
    Well, one thing is certain... Steve needs to get the OS engineers to fix the WIFI stack/drivers on the thing. If it can't nail up a WIFI connection with 570 other WIFI devices around it, that's going to be a problem eventually... for someone... oh, perhaps like him when he's doing his demos on stage.
    06-09-10 09:02 AM
    Well, one thing is certain... Steve needs to get the OS engineers to fix the WIFI stack/drivers on the thing. If it can't nail up a WIFI connection with 570 other WIFI devices around it, that's going to be a problem eventually... for someone... oh, perhaps like him when he's doing his demos on stage.
    LOL. Yeah I guess it's a good thing that most of us don't have 500 people using the same Wifi connection in our living room. That's what happens when you have something where everyone wants to be the first to report it. I wonder how many people were connected to their Verizon MiFis?
    06-09-10 09:45 AM
    Just like you're skipping over the error message that came on screen about not being able to connect to the cellular network?
    It said he wasn't connected to the internet, something the iPhone says if you're using WiFi and it won't connect. The SIM wasn't provisioned for data, just calling to demo FaceTime.

Just a thought
    06-09-10 09:52 AM
    I was very interested in this topic as well, and didn't see anything that made me think Radius was just looking to stir up trouble.

Anywho, I think the theory still stands so long as we take the fact that the band is split up as explained at WWDC.

I really hope the phone part of the iPhone is better this time around.
    06-09-10 10:03 AM
    I was very interested in this topic as well, and didn't see anything that made me think Radius was just looking to stir up trouble.

Anywho, I think the theory still stands so long as we take the fact that the band is split up as explained at WWDC.

I really hope the phone part of the iPhone is better this time around.
    Yeah you gotta check out Radius other posts LOL. It's not like he's trying to find out more information, he's either disputing that it can happen or skeptical about everything because he's a hater. He's been hating on Apple and Android for a while now .

Couple of his quotes:

�Anyone who jumps onto a new product following nothing more than corporate hype about performance is crazy. Real world is always different than they portray�

Umm it's not corporate hype, its brand recognition and loyalty. Just like many blackberry users jump on RIM's next product. But he doesn't recognize that fact.

�I still want to know about this "no battery drain with multitasking" thing. Unless Apple has broken the laws of physics then it's a gimmick. Quite possibly it's not multitasking but something else.�

Like I responded to him yesterday, a jailbroken iPhone with backgrounder runs apps in the background without draining battery. So it must be a gimmick if Apple does it? Also it may not be multitasking? If it let's you switch to another app and you can continue where you left off in the other app, it's multitasking. But once again, it's a gimmick if Apple does it.

Dude is a hater.
    Last edited by scorpiodsu; 06-09-10 at 10:20 AM.
    06-09-10 10:13 AM
    Other posts where?

It's very easy to throw around the word hater, when it's not always the case.

Skeptics aren't haters, and disputing is okay.

The iPhone isn't out yet, and as far as I'm concerned the antenna is a pretty nifty new piece of tech.

This is a forum, we exchange ideas.

Disputing is welcome, Remember that.
    06-09-10 10:18 AM
    Yeah you gotta check out Radius other posts LOL. It's not like he's trying to find out more information, he's either disputing that it can happen or skeptical about everything because he's a hater. He's been hating on Apple for a while now .
    A case could be made by looking at your other posts that you will vociferously defend anything Apple, whether its an attack or not... Lighten up, Francis

It sounds to me like a valid question but you don't care about the actual answer. Apple "Magic" is enough of an answer for you... but not for some of us.
    06-09-10 10:22 AM
    Other posts where?

It's very easy to throw around the word hater, when it's not always the case.

Skeptics aren't haters, and disputing is okay.

The iPhone isn't out yet, and as far as I'm concerned the antenna is a pretty nifty new piece of tech.

This is a forum, we exchange ideas.

Disputing is welcome, Remember that.
    Yes this is a forum to exchange ideas but dude all day proclaims how Android and iPhone isn't that good and blackberry is better. I guess you wouldn't understand if you haven't had several exchanges with him. Skepticism is fine, but who are we to dispute something that isn't out yet and we don't work for Apple or RIM or anything. So questioning it is fine, but flat out disputing would imply that you know everything about the subject and the makers of the device no nothing. Like I said he hates on everything Android and Apple and loves BB. Anyhow, I don't have to convince you that, have your opinion since you obviously haven't had many exchanges with him. Thanks though.
    06-09-10 10:24 AM
    Yes this is a forum to exchange ideas but dude all day proclaims how Android and iPhone isn't that good and blackberry is better. I guess you wouldn't understand if you haven't had several exchanges with him. Skepticism is fine, but who are we to dispute something that isn't out yet and we don't work for Apple or RIM or anything. So questioning it is fine, but flat out disputing would imply that you know everything about the subject and the makers of the device no nothing. Like I said he hates on everything Android and Apple and loves BB. Anyhow, I don't have to convince you that, have your opinion since you obviously haven't had many exchanges with him. Thanks though.
    Actually, I've probably had more exchanges than you.

Radius frequents off topic.

He's quite a funny guy.

I think you're just a Radius hater.

It's cool though, I accept that. Thanks though.
    06-09-10 10:27 AM
    A case could be made by looking at your other posts that you will vociferously defend anything Apple, whether its an attack or not... Lighten up, Francis

It sounds to me like a valid question but you don't care about the actual answer. Apple "Magic" is enough of an answer for you... but not for some of us.

I don't defend anything Apple. When they F something up, I say so. But like I said dude is a hater and been posting crap for a long time. Nothing wrong with being a skeptic, but don't tell me something is impossible or bad just because you don't think it is. And his motives are questionable since I've actually seen his other posts. It is a valid question but just because he thinks it's impossible, it's impossible. And if the antenna is jacked, I'd be the first to point that out. Trust me.
    Last edited by scorpiodsu; 06-09-10 at 10:30 AM.
    06-09-10 10:27 AM
    So if you don't defend Apple, why do you care what he says about this? Put him on Ignore, it's not your job to change his opinion to yours. And I would say your view of your own posts may be distorted like your view of Radius's posts. But that's my view...
    06-09-10 10:34 AM
    Duhhh!!! Even a wifi access device with a password not known to the masses would have avoided that embarrassing failure. Hang on... doesn't Apple make a rather neat example which he could have brought in his pocket?
    06-09-10 10:36 AM
    So if you don't defend Apple, why do you care what he says about this? Put him on Ignore, it's not your job to change his opinion to yours. And I would say your view of your own posts may be distorted like your view of Radius's posts. But that's my view...
    No, I said I don't defend ANYTHING Apple. Please read it again. If you don't like what I said, how about you put me on ignore and stop trying to defend someone else? Personally, I'm don't care about your view. Thanks and have a good day.
    06-09-10 10:37 AM
    Duhhh!!! Even a wifi access device with a password not known to the masses would have avoided that embarrassing failure. Hang on... doesn't Apple make a rather neat example which he could have brought in his pocket?
    Exactly. They should have had their own wifi with password so no others wouldn't have clogged up the network. You'd think a company as bright as them would think of something that simple. They had to expect that bloggers would be using a public network to give constant updates. Don't know what they were thinking there.
    06-09-10 10:39 AM
    I thought they said the problem was that there were too many Wifi Hotspots emanating from the room, not that Apple's wifi network was overloaded. 500+ hotspots, 1,100 users would saturate the spectrum and have channel conflicts, etc
    06-09-10 10:58 AM
    I thought they said the problem was that there were too many Wifi Hotspots emanating from the room, not that Apple's wifi network was overloaded. 500+ hotspots, 1,100 users would saturate the spectrum and have channel conflicts, etc
    Yeah would make holding a strong connection difficult as well. But here's the thing, was it only the iPhone 4 having a problem with the connection or were many other users in the room also having problems. Were laptops ok and smartphones not? You know? Because if most of the other devices, be it laptop or smartphone were doing ok but the iPhone wasn't then that could potentially be a problem. But if a lot of users were having trouble as well then I guess it's too be expected as you said with all that traffic on so many networks in a heavily saturated area. I guess we will see when it comes out, if wifi will have any issues.
    06-09-10 11:10 AM
    It seems I have my answer, thanks StarGazer!

See? It's called scientific curiosity. I'm sorry if such concepts go completely over your head but I'm sure I can hash up a good explanation of what I'm talking about with bright crayon drawings for you, maybe a couple of happy clowns in the corner. I guess no one should ever ask technical questions else they bein' a hater. Silly me. And I suspect you are right, all of my posts are about hating on everything, even the multitude of posts where people ask what phone to get and I say go with what works for you. I love how you cherry pick information, you must be a stats analyzer for the government?

Anyhow, that explains everything. The length of the GSM side seems about right and would explain everything. I suspect I am not the only one who's been on about this as they made a little presentation explaining it in detail. The fact they did that says a lot.
    06-09-10 11:43 AM
    RF saturation is easily resolved, simply use the inverse-square law. Put a dedicated hotspot device significantly closer to the demonstrator and/or fix the channel allocations available to the baying mob. We know a limited environment can only support concurrent use of a few well spread channels from the 802.11g range but it shouldn't be beyond the ability of even the most inept tech guy to anticipate potential overcrowding and make sure at least one device with a clear channel was reserved for the demo.
    06-09-10 01:32 PM
    RF saturation is easily resolved, simply use the inverse-square law. Put a dedicated hotspot device significantly closer to the demonstrator and/or fix the channel allocations available to the baying mob. We know a limited environment can only support concurrent use of a few well spread channels from the 802.11g range but it shouldn't be beyond the ability of even the most inept tech guy to anticipate potential overcrowding and make sure at least one device with a clear channel was reserved for the demo.
    Oh you silly man you. I've seen worse and I suspect you have too.
    06-09-10 01:56 PM
    You mean because probably 90% of the 5000+ people at that conference had an iphone using ATT too Shocker there was congestion
    06-09-10 05:41 PM
    Wow this thread got nasty in a hurry. Not really a shocker though with all the iPhone haters that troll the iPhone section of this site. @scorpiodsu perhaps it's time for you to move on to TiPb is that type of thing is going to get under your skin. I know that is the main reason that I spend less time on CB these days. It really is a shame that so many of the Berry crew continue to hate on the iPhone users here when almost all of us were Berry users at one point in time. Anyway that's my rant.
    06-09-10 06:42 PM
60 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD