I have paid attention to all the recent news regarding iPhone 4. Frankly, I don't understand what I am missing. Jobs called the iPhone 4 the most revolutionary product since the original iPhone. Yet, I don't really see major differences between the 3GS and the iPhone 4, making it worthy of such a classification. True it has a different screen, but is that so revolutionary as compared to the 3GS? Multi-tasking? The 3GS can do that. Certainly, the improved battery life is huge, but that can't be what this excitement is all about?

I've considered moving to the iPhone, but I really need the variety of email connectivity that my Blackberry provides. I was hoping iOS 4 provided better Exchange connectivity. That, and better (cheaper) int'l rates would go a long way. Hard to beat TMo's unlimited int'l email for Blackberry.

So, what is it causing 600,000 pre-orders and all this excitement?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-20-10 03:49 AM
    Let's see.....

-A PHONE that's ok at best.

-A battery that's so improved, it'll now last till 4pm instead of noon.

-if you get creative enough with forwarding and shuffling stuff around. And buying mobileme subscriptions etc etc.... You may get your email setup to be as good as your Berry.... NOT.

-Now you have a flash!!! Yayyy... So does my 115 dollar sony ericsson.

-Now you have multitasking so if you run IM and go to something else-- it'll still be running. Ooops-- my 90 dollar Razr does that (always did-- even 7 yrs ago when I got it).

-you now get the best screen in the business. Oh well-- at least I can use it as a movie player for my children when we fly (but we better not fly anywhere past Florida cause the battery will die). LOL

-OP..... No disrespect buddy-- just tired of all the iphone zombies.
    -Flamers..... I can respect the phone as cool. I respect technology. I even respect all of YOU, but ground breaking!?!?! Please.....

Last edited by tedzone; 06-20-10 at 05:42 AM.
    06-20-10 05:36 AM
    Let's see.....

-if you get creative enough with forwarding and shuffling stuff around. And buying mobileme subscriptions etc etc.... You may get your email setup to be as good as your Berry.... NOT.

-Now you have multitasking so if you run IM and go to something else-- it'll still be running. Ooops-- my 90 dollar Razr does that (always did-- even 7 yrs ago when I got it).

-you now get the best screen in the business. Oh well-- at least I can use it as a movie player for my children when we fly (but we better not fly anywhere past Florida cause the battery will die). LOL

-Flamers..... I can respect the phone as cool. I respect technology. I even respect all of YOU, but ground breaking!?!?! Please.....

The battery should be drastically improved. It not only has a larger battery but it uses the same processor as the iPad and if you haven't seen, it lasts a very long time. Reports are that playing a game for an hour straight only used 10% of the battery overall.

Next is that it has DOUBLE the ram that the 3GS has from 256MB to 512MB. That alone should speed up the phone a lot.

I don't understand people, they complain a product is missing something and then they complain that its not a big deal it's missing a flash The camera on the phone seems superb. You can find a video created by a regular person and not apples marketing team at Video taken with iPhone 4 on Vimeo

The phone has an entire new antenna system which uses the edges of the phone, half for GPS, WIFI, Bluetooth, etc and the other for GSM etc.. The overall BUILD of the phone is probably the best compared to any phone. It's made of glass and stainless steal. This can be good or bad but it sure beats the plastic that my blackberry is made of.

Facetime may not be that great to people but because the front facing camera is open to developers already has skype working hard on something.

I'm not a fan boy, I love my blackberry but I give credit where it's due. The iPhone 4 looks very promising.

The other additions can be found part of iOS 4 which will be included on the 3GS and very limited on the 3G model.
    Last edited by auero; 06-20-10 at 08:47 AM.
    06-20-10 08:44 AM
    Buy what you want. Lol

06-20-10 10:42 AM

The phone has an entire new antenna system which uses the edges of the phone, half for GPS, WIFI, Bluetooth, etc and the other for GSM etc.. The overall BUILD of the phone is probably the best compared to any phone. It's made of glass and stainless steal. This can be good or bad but it sure beats the plastic that my blackberry is made of.

I acknowledge that the phone has an entirely new antenna system. But frankly, why should I care? I mean, isn't it incumbent upon a telephone manufacturer to design an antenna system that works best for their product? Is it really something that should be used As a selling point?

The glass and stainless steel is nice, sure. Does it beat the plastic that the Blackberry is made of? Well, that depends who you ask. I, for one, am very pleased with the build materials that my 8900 is made from. I can drop it, have it slide across a tile floor, etc with no real fear of major damage. Not so for iPhone 4.

I'm not a fan boy, I love my blackberry but I give credit where it's due. The iPhone 4 looks very promising.
    I agree that iPhone 4 looks promising. That said, I don't see what all the fuss is about. It is an upgrade over the 3GS, for sure, but I don't see anything too groundbreaking about it.

I am a big iPad fan; writing this note from it as a matter of fact. I believe in good products, of which Apple has several. That said, I don't upgrade to new products for the heck of it, and if I owned a 3GS, that is what a 3GS to 4 upgrade would be to me.
    06-20-10 11:46 AM
    Let's see.....

That was quite a long post for someone who has absolutely nothing pertinent or valid to say. Whats the matter? Can't afford an iPhone, so lets just trash it? Where does all this childish drivel come from? What a stupid waste of space. Be an adult and get past whatever is bothering you. Amazing that so many people continue to document their stupidity and immaturity in print for the entire world to see.
    06-20-10 12:13 PM
    I acknowledge that the phone has an entirely new antenna system. But frankly, why should I care? I mean, isn't it incumbent upon a telephone manufacturer to design an antenna system that works best for their product? Is it really something that should be used As a selling point?

The glass and stainless steel is nice, sure. Does it beat the plastic that the Blackberry is made of? Well, that depends who you ask. I, for one, am very pleased with the build materials that my 8900 is made from. I can drop it, have it slide across a tile floor, etc with no real fear of major damage. Not so for iPhone 4.

I agree that iPhone 4 looks promising. That said, I don't see what all the fuss is about. It is an upgrade over the 3GS, for sure, but I don't see anything too groundbreaking about it.

I am a big iPad fan; writing this note from it as a matter of fact. I believe in good products, of which Apple has several. That said, I don't upgrade to new products for the heck of it, and if I owned a 3GS, that is what a 3GS to 4 upgrade would be to me.
    Can you please explain to me why this is even a concern for you? You've admitted you don't have an iPhone, its obviously not for you, so why would you waste your time cruising the iPhone forum expecting others to justify the iPhone 4. WHY DO YOU CARE?
    06-20-10 12:24 PM
    Can you please explain to me why this is even a concern for you? You've admitted you don't have an iPhone, its obviously not for you, so why would you waste your time cruising the iPhone forum expecting others to justify the iPhone 4. WHY DO YOU CARE?
    Because I am thinking about trying one and debating the 3GS over the iPhone 4.
    06-20-10 12:44 PM
    Let's see.....

Dude, why do you even come into these threads? You never have anything useful to say and it's the same crap with you all the time. I get you don't like the iPhone, so why are you still talking about it.
    06-20-10 01:04 PM
    That was quite a long post for someone who has absolutely nothing pertinent or valid to say. Whats the matter? Can't afford an iPhone, so lets just trash it? Where does all this childish drivel come from? What a stupid waste of space. Be an adult and get past whatever is bothering you. Amazing that so many people continue to document their stupidity and immaturity in print for the entire world to see.
    Yeah. I can't afford it. That must be it. My stores sell more phones than almost any other chain in Canada. There'll be iphones lying around on my desk 10 days before any regular consumer even touches one. Try again BOY

06-20-10 01:33 PM
    Dude, why do you even come into these threads? You never have anything useful to say and it's the same crap with you all the time. I get you don't like the iPhone, so why are you still talking about it.

Take a definition....

Forum [fawr-uhm]
    Noun.
    "place or assembly for public discussion"

And furthermore. This is a BB forum. YOU are a guest. So know your role and behave yourself

06-20-10 01:35 PM
    Take a definition....

Forum [fawr-uhm]
    Noun.

And furthermore. This is a BB forum. YOU are a guest. So know your role and behave yourself

No I am a member here, just like you. In fact I have been here a year longer then you so I think I know what CB is all about. I joined CB when I had a Berry and posted in the blackberry threads. I have an iPhone now so I post in the iPhone SECTION of CB. You are the one that needs to know his role, you try and turn every iPhone thread into a battleground BBvsiPhone. News flash I like RIM and Blackberrys overall, the iPhone is just better for me. It's members like you that make the iPhone section so hostile, your post added nothing and failed to answer the question that the OP was asking, that is why myself and others call you out when you pull this crap.
    06-20-10 02:10 PM
    I have paid attention to all the recent news regarding iPhone 4. Frankly, I don't understand what I am missing. Jobs called the iPhone 4 the most revolutionary product since the original iPhone. Yet, I don't really see major differences between the 3GS and the iPhone 4, making it worthy of such a classification. True it has a different screen, but is that so revolutionary as compared to the 3GS? Multi-tasking? The 3GS can do that. Certainly, the improved battery life is huge, but that can't be what this excitement is all about?

I've considered moving to the iPhone, but I really need the variety of email connectivity that my Blackberry provides. I was hoping iOS 4 provided better Exchange connectivity. That, and better (cheaper) int'l rates would go a long way. Hard to beat TMo's unlimited int'l email for Blackberry.

So, what is it causing 600,000 pre-orders and all this excitement?

Here are some of the major upgrades on the iPhone 4

512 megs of RAM vs 256
    960by640 screen, better then anything on the market
    5mp camera with Flash(about freaking time)
    720p video recording
    Larger battery
    The list goes on and on but IMHO it is a major upgrade over the 3GS. As for the 600,000 pre orders, well Apple has a very large fan base and that is a big reason for it. The same way that people chomp at the bit to see or get the RIM Blackberry. But the truth is you just have to decide for yourself if the iPhone is going to work for you. If not cool stick with what you know is going to work best for you.
    06-20-10 02:19 PM
    Take a definition....

Forum [fawr-uhm]
    Noun.

I'll just say it, YOU'RE AN ***! First and foremost this IS an IPHONE forum, live with it! One would think with your banter you might have enough intelligence to find the significant differences between the 3GS and 4. I guess they would be wrong. Grow up. All your gripes about the iPhone coming from a BB Bold which has a 1995 nintendo type OS running on it.
    06-20-10 02:19 PM
    Guys..... don't take things (or yourselves) so seriously. A heart attack is serious, not what someone wrote on a forum. No one's honour or family or body or anything else was hurt. Sheeesh!!
    06-20-10 02:27 PM
    Because I am thinking about trying one and debating the 3GS over the iPhone 4.
    You can't go wrong with either of them but the only valid reason I see someone choosing a 3GS over the iPhone 4 is because of money issues. If I were in your shoes, I'd pay the extra $100 to get the iPhone 4 (subsidized of course). The 3GS is good but the iPhone 4 looks to be a good improvement. However, if I had a 3GS already and was stuck with it, I wouldn't upgrade to the iPhone 4.
    06-20-10 02:34 PM
    You can't go wrong with either of them but the only valid reason I see someone choosing a 3GS over the iPhone 4 is because of money issues. If I were in your shoes, I'd pay the extra $100 to get the iPhone 4 (subsidized of course). The 3GS is good but the iPhone 4 looks to be a good improvement. However, if I had a 3GS already and was stuck with it, I wouldn't upgrade to the iPhone 4.

Don't forget, you can only get a 8g 3GS as to an iphone4 in 16g or 32g
    06-20-10 02:38 PM
    Take a definition....

Forum [fawr-uhm]
    Noun.

YOU are also a guest, so know YOUR ROLE, take your own advice and give it a rest.
    06-20-10 02:43 PM
    YOU are also a guest, so know YOUR ROLE, take your own advice and give it a rest.
    I thought I had... With my post above. Did you read it. ???

06-20-10 02:50 PM
    I thought I had. With my post above. Did you read it? If that wasn't a peace offering, dunno what is.

06-20-10 02:53 PM
    This is just another useless thread, time and time again you see these, hopefully this one will end the way the other ones usually do lol it'll be closed lol
    06-20-10 03:06 PM
    @OP forget what Job's said... He is selling a product and he is going to hype it like every other company would hype there product.
    I have used the 3G/S for about a year and there great devices. I stayed with BB because it just offered me a little more in what I need in a phone but that doesn't mean I didn't like the Iphone. I will be getting the 4 when it comes to Canada because some of things that were missing for me in the 3g are now on the 4 (folders, all mail in one account, battery,multi-task). So for me just those change make me want it. Now the 3GS offers most of those with ios4 but still I want the new .
    I think with any of the 2 you would be happy if you want an Iphone for the goods it provides.
    I personally don't think it will be replacing my 97 as my week day phone but I'm sure I will be enjoying this puppy at nights and weekends.

Last edited by TheBBman; 06-20-10 at 03:14 PM.
    06-20-10 03:12 PM
    Don't forget, you can only get a 8g 3GS as to an iphone4 in 16g or 32g
    I'm not going to get into the pissing contest the others are having (guys, who the frak cares, if someone acts like an a.h., just ignore 'em), but this one I can answer.

Yes, going forward the 8gig is the only new production for the 3GS.

On the other hand there's tons of 16Gb and 32GB 3GS's either available on clearance (with two year contract) or on the used market (ebay/craigslist/etc) which can be had with no contract. That's what I've done, I picked up a used 3GS locally for a decent price and am trying it out on iOS4 GM for a while. I may upgrade to the iphone 4, but most the iphone drawbacks that'd been holding me back before have been addressed by iOS 4 vs. iphone 4 hardware.
    06-20-10 03:49 PM
    You can't go wrong with either of them but the only valid reason I see someone choosing a 3GS over the iPhone 4 is because of money issues.
    I am thinking about the 3GS while I decide if the iPhone is for me. The big benefit for me is that I can buy a pre-owned 3GS and not have a 24 month contract with AT&T.
    06-20-10 04:01 PM
    I am thinking about the 3GS while I decide if the iPhone is for me. The big benefit for me is that I can buy a pre-owned 3GS and not have a 24 month contract with AT&T.
    That is reason enough for many, which makes sense. The 3GS is still a great smart phone.
    06-20-10 04:23 PM
50 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD