07-18-10 02:43 PM
28 12
tools
    07-15-10 04:46 PM
    Iphone 4 vs Blackberry 9700
    By admin at July 14, 2010 | 9:27 am | Print

unbiased review Apple recently created a buzz around its new iPhone 4, claiming multi-tasking, retina displays, video chat and several new options. Blackberry on the other hand hasn’t released a new handset in quite some time. In this review i will be comparing the blackberry 9700 and the iPhone 4.

First let’s take a look at the iPhone’s most important specs and claims.

Video chat- Finally a phone with video chat right? … Wrong! the video is limited to Wi-Fi only connections via face talk. (facetalk is the new apple video conferencing program, similar to ichat but for cellphones) Simply put, you can only video chat with someone while connected to a home or other Wi-Fi connection with another person who is on an iPhone 4. The video chat does not support Google video, Skype, iChat, vsee or any other video chatting client.

Video editing on the iPhone- You can easily make very limited videos on your phone in a short amount of time. The key word is limited here, if your video is over 1 minute and half or so, the background music will cut off, there is no way to remove photos once inserted, and very few options. While the video editor isn’t horrible, i must offer the warning that it is very limited. Here is a link to the first video i made.

5-mega pixel camera with led flash- the camera has a 3x digital zoom, takes HD video, and has a decent led flash. I was impressed with the camera photo taking speeds and quality. Only down side is that like with most mobile cameras, you need a steady hand to avoid blurry photos. In addition there is a front facing camera which seems to only have the purpose of video chatting because it is a meager 0.3 mega –pixels which produce very low quality photos.

Fun Features -Apple also added a geo coding feature on the phone which if enabled will show the location of where each photo was taken. I found this useful for finding photos and enjoyed looking back at all the places i had been.

Multi-tasking capabilities- Even while i was watching Steve Jobs Keynote on the iPhone, i noticed he was not particularly excited about this improvement. While the iPhone does multi-task, it is not yet compatible with every program. Most notable, Telenav (ATT’s native navigation software) is not yet compatible with the multi-tasking feature. This means that the navigation shuts down anytime you open another program. Very annoying to say the least while driving and making calls.

Retina display- Wow, it’s simply hands down the best on the market. 4 times as clear as the iPhone 3gs. Retina Display is a made up term apple came up with…but with a screen this clear, name it whatever you want.

Now that we have taken some time to look at the iPhone 4′s new features let’s put it up against the blackberry in a points rated battle.

Email- Blackberry has a true push which means emails instantly come in.

iPhone- requires you to open the email application or set intervals to check for emails. *I’ve read that if you unlock your iPhone (illegal) or if you set up yours server differently that you can fix this. However for the average user this is a huge inconvenience. Once i unlock my iPhone 4 i will update this*

Decision- At first i thought this was a clear loss for the iPhone, since i have several time sensitive emails. Then i realized how much less my phone beeped, rang, or buzzed. Surprisingly, I’m almost a little less stressed in that I am no longer running to emails all day long. I have however been slower to respond to the companies i work with. So while the lack of push email can be perceived as a negative, i believe that the average person may or may not care if they have emails that instantly come in. therefore this round is purely up to you.

Camera- blackberry has a 2 megapixel with flash vs. iPhone’s 5 megapixels with led flash and front facing 0.3 camera. iPhone takes one point this round.

Multi-tasking- While iPhone claims to be able to multi- task, its performance is nowhere near blackberry yet. Blackberry seamlessly transitions from every program installed. While iPhone requires its app’s and programs to be compatible with the multi-tasking feature. I assume that over time most programs such as att’s telenav will upgrade this.

Blackberry gets on the board this round with 1 point.

Browser- iPhone has the ability to open up to 8 webpages simultaneously while blackberry does not. iPhones browser is also significantly superior in regards to webpage display quality.

iPhone gets another point.

Messaging- Iphone has a threaded sms and mms log. This is user friendly and displays the conversation in an easily viewable fashion. Blackberry has the same thing and also has an integrated bbm which allows users on the blackberry network to communicate through the data plan free of charge. Bbm also allows for groups which can share photos, comments, lists, events in a Facebook like fashion. Blackberry also has very functional copy and paste feature in which you can select any portion of any text, email, or webpage easily and copy or paste. On the other hand iPhone has a limited copy and paste which only allows you to copy entire text messages and not portions of them. Iphone does allow for selective copy and paste in certain applications such as safari, however i found it to be difficult and clumsy.

Blackberry takes this round down due to bbm and copy and paste.

Apps- You may have heard that blackberry world apps is limited and inferior to iPhone. While there is no question that apple has a larger app world, i question whether this is a pro or con. Since getting my iPhone i have downloaded approximately 40 apps. Most crash often, don’t work, or are a waste of time. When comparing to my blackberry, i notice my blackberry had all the major apps i needed i.e. Facebook, Pandora, twitter, etc. In fact i actually preferred my blackberry Facebook app because it functioned seamlessly with my internal camera. What i mean by this is that i could take a picture, press menu, and hit upload to face book in a matter of seconds. While on the iPhone, you are required to log in to your Facebook app, go to upload, find the photo in your camera roll, then upload. This is a simple example of how apps differ on the iPhone and blackberry. Iphone did have a Skype app which blackberry doesn’t have on att, but does have on Verizon.

Decision- After examining the differences between networks and phones, this round is a draw because for the business professional having thousands of gimmick apps is worthless. For the avid iPhone gamer, the apps are priceless. Therefore this comes down to preference.

Voice Quality- After 10 minutes of using my iphone 4 I connected it with my car blue tooth and received a phone call, only to be told that my sound quality was horrible. I have been told that by everyone I speak with via Bluetooth and speaker phone on the iphone. While I used my blackberry I can be on blue tooth or speaker phone and the difference was much less distinguishable.

Blackberry wins this one.

Overall Functionality and features- Blackberry is in my opinion more efficient, versatile and reliable. While it has an inferior screen, less apps, and higher resolution camera, it does have everything necessary for daily business use. Most importantly entering contacts, setting up meetings and reminders are quicker, and more detailed. Therefore i recommend the blackberry for the business professional.

Iphone in my opinion is more user friendly, easier on the eyes, and fun to play with. It has a limited copy and paste, no way to mark all emails as read, inferior multi-tasking and non-true push email, and a slow contact and meeting entry process. . However it does have a high resolution screen, more apps then you could afford, built in iPod player, and better camera. I recommend the iPhone 4 for those that enjoy social networking websites, watching videos, and using their phone for everything but work.

This is a draw as it really depends on what matter most to you.

So the after tallying up what i thought to be the most important specs of the phone, it seems Blackberry wins 4-3, however due to the multiple draw rounds and varying importance of features to individual users, it really comes down to what you use the phone for. Feel free to post any questions, comments or concerns.

-Michael Izquierdo, Pasadena Wealth Realty
    07-15-10 04:52 PM
    I can guess without reading it the blackberry wins? Ahh the fanboys are at large. Oh yea, my iphone DOES have "true push" without having to open or set any email intervals.. that right there DISCREDITS that whole blah blah blah.

Blackberry is getting lambasted by no other than the masses, they are an afterthought to many behind Android and iOS4.
    Last edited by Entertainment72; 07-15-10 at 05:02 PM.
    07-15-10 04:59 PM
    He gets a bunch of things wrong.
    07-15-10 05:02 PM
    yea there is alot of "cell phone racism" going on around here.
    07-15-10 05:04 PM
    LMMFAO, WOW.. this is just downright hilarious... the BEST C,C and P around and for this guy it's difficult and clumsy..
    I agree, most of it is automatic, like the thing knows what you want to copy.
    07-15-10 05:07 PM
    I've deleted my comment because the OP is just out to bait posting such garbage. As for the "moderator" posting it in total I'm not sure if he agrees or disagrees, but the "reviewer" is so off based it's truly "cell phone racism". I don't care, BB is all but dead, which is sad because we need competition and not just from Apple and Google.
    07-15-10 05:08 PM
    Don't know if it was done on purpose, but I'm not reading anything that has a
    title that includes "your" when in the context it's supposed to be "you're."
    07-15-10 05:44 PM
    I can guess without reading it the blackberry wins? Ahh the fanboys are at large. Oh yea, my iphone DOES have "true push" without having to open or set any email intervals.. that right there DISCREDITS that whole blah blah blah.

Blackberry is getting lambasted by no other than the masses, they are an afterthought to many behind Android and iOS4.

...tell me is my phone malfunctioning... because mine is set to push... and emails only come in when i click on the mail icon...and everyone else ive spoken to has the same issue...

this was for open discussion....i confess i wrote the article... if i got somethign wrong lets discuss it.... im trying to figure out which phone is best for me... ill be buying a evo shortly also...

nothing was meant to be racist although i will say i have a obvious favoritism to bb.

and yes the site is suppose to be your and not you're.... like

your....better than that ... site
    07-15-10 06:04 PM
    oh and thanks to everyone that took the time to read this... i have seen countless videos about the iphone before i purchased it...and none did a fair review.... i really did my best to hit every angle that most reviewers missed.
    07-15-10 06:08 PM
    ...tell me is my phone malfunctioning... because mine is set to push... and emails only come in when i click on the mail icon...and everyone else ive spoken to has the same issue...
    Did you set it up as an MSE account? Yahoo will accounts will also push to iPhone. Push works fine on my iPhone, usually get it within 10 seconds of being sent.
    07-15-10 07:41 PM
    You were wrong on the 9700 camera...is 3.2mp, not 2.0 and IMO takes awesome pics!

As far as BB being dead, yeah okay iPhone fanboi's...keep thinking that. I perfer my 9700 over the Andriods I had or messed around with and for certain enjoy it much more than the iPhooey!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-15-10 07:55 PM
    I was using a 9700 and the camera is great.
    07-15-10 08:09 PM

this was for open discussion....i confess i wrote the article... if i got somethign wrong lets discuss it.... im trying to figure out which phone is best for me... ill be buying a evo shortly also...

nothing was meant to be racist although i will say i have a obvious favoritism to bb.

and yes the site is suppose to be your and not you're.... like

your....better than that ... site
    What e-mail service provider are you using, gmail, yahoo, MobileMe, other? Are you using 3.1.3, 4.0 or 4.0.1?
    07-16-10 11:39 AM
    Thanks pkcable.

That review seems lopsided and I see some grammar mistakes. But nonetheless I like BB, most of the people I know and work with has a BB more than any other type of phone but BB is falling off the radar in terms of getting new customers which Apple and HTC/Motorola are easily gaining.

Hopefully RIM thinks up something fast, the Storm series isn't going to save it.
    07-16-10 11:58 AM
    You were wrong on the 9700 camera...is 3.2mp, not 2.0 and IMO takes awesome pics!

As far as BB being dead, yeah okay iPhone fanboi's...keep thinking that. I perfer my 9700 over the Andriods I had or messed around with and for certain enjoy it much more than the iPhooey!

very good catch...this is the exact feed back i was expecting... ill correct the article right now.

thanks!
    07-16-10 01:47 PM
    What e-mail service provider are you using, gmail, yahoo, MobileMe, other? Are you using 3.1.3, 4.0 or 4.0.1?
    gmail, 4.0.1

07-16-10 01:50 PM
    gmail, 4.0.1

Instructions here:

Set Up Your Apple Device for Google Sync : Google Sync - Google Mobile Help

Takes about 1 minute to set up.
    07-16-10 01:55 PM
    gmail, 4.0.1

Try Gmail via Exchange as mentioned above then let us know. 4.0 also had a push email bug (exchange/mobileme), 4.0.1 fixed it for me so I'm thinking it should work for you to.
    07-16-10 03:47 PM
    nice review Rich. both are great phones, that being said, after using RIM for over 5 years, Im not missing my 9700 in the least, just my opinion/view
    07-16-10 04:22 PM
    How about getting some of the lingo right? It's Facetime, not face talk, and it's geo-tagging, not geo-coding.
    07-16-10 04:23 PM
    unbiased review Apple recently created a buzz around its new iPhone 4, claiming multi-tasking, retina displays, video chat and several new options. Blackberry on the other hand hasn’t released a new handset in quite some time. In this review i will be comparing the blackberry 9700 and the iPhone 4.

First let’s take a look at the iPhone’s most important specs and claims.

Video chat- Finally a phone with video chat right? … Wrong!
    How is this Wrong! Is does video chat doesn't it?

Video is limited to Wi-Fi only connections via face talk. (facetalk is the new apple video conferencing program, similar to ichat but for cellphones) Simply put, you can only video chat with someone while connected to a home or other Wi-Fi connection with another person who is on an iPhone 4. The video chat does not support Google video, Skype, iChat, vsee or any other video chatting client.
    It's not factalk it's FaceTime, WiFi is becoming more and more prevalent, McDonald's, Starbucks's, Bob Evans, and many upon many are enticing customers with free wifi. Trust me, soon FaceTime will be able to connect with a wide variety of providers in the future. It's not like Apple to jump all in, they are a very strategic company doing one thing at a time. BTW FaceTime works superbly

Video editing on the iPhone- You can easily make very limited videos on your phone in a short amount of time. The key word is limited here, if your video is over 1 minute and half or so, the background music will cut off, there is no way to remove photos once inserted, and very few options. While the video editor isn’t horrible, i must offer the warning that it is very limited. Here is a link to the first video i made.
    I have a 20 minute video in 720p of our July 4th fireworks with full audio, I have no idea what you're talking about. iMovie ($4.99) absolutely rocks!

5-mega pixel camera with led flash- the camera has a 3x digital zoom, takes HD video, and has a decent led flash. I was impressed with the camera photo taking speeds and quality. Only down side is that like with most mobile cameras, you need a steady hand to avoid blurry photos. In addition there is a front facing camera which seems to only have the purpose of video chatting because it is a meager 0.3 mega –pixels which produce very low quality photos.
    I agree with your assessment here, overall the camera is pretty darn good.

Fun Features -Apple also added a geo coding feature on the phone which if enabled will show the location of where each photo was taken. I found this useful for finding photos and enjoyed looking back at all the places i had been.
    Geo-Tagging you mean.

Multi-tasking capabilities- Even while i was watching Steve Jobs Keynote on the iPhone, i noticed he was not particularly excited about this improvement. While the iPhone does multi-task, it is not yet compatible with every program. Most notable, Telenav (ATT’s native navigation software) is not yet compatible with the multi-tasking feature. This means that the navigation shuts down anytime you open another program. Very annoying to say the least while driving and making calls.
    Telenav is garbage compared to TomTom and Navigon ($49.99 ONE TIME unlike Telenav which is constantly loading maps), really... TomTom btw is Multi-tasking capable.

Retina display- Wow, it’s simply hands down the best on the market. 4 times as clear as the iPhone 3gs. Retina Display is a made up term apple came up with…but with a screen this clear, name it whatever you want.
    Right on! The best of the best right there!

Now that we have taken some time to look at the iPhone 4′s new features let’s put it up against the blackberry in a points rated battle.

Email- Blackberry has a true push which means emails instantly come in.
    So does iPhone, Exchange, MobileMe, Yahoo are all push as well as Gmail via Exhange.

iPhone- requires you to open the email application or set intervals to check for emails. *I’ve read that if you unlock your iPhone (illegal) or if you set up yours server differently that you can fix this. However for the average user this is a huge inconvenience. Once i unlock my iPhone 4 i will update this*
    Incorrect, you do not need to open an email for it to be checked, intervals are only for non push clients.

Decision- At first i thought this was a clear loss for the iPhone, since i have several time sensitive emails. Then i realized how much less my phone beeped, rang, or buzzed. Surprisingly, I’m almost a little less stressed in that I am no longer running to emails all day long. I have however been slower to respond to the companies i work with. So while the lack of push email can be perceived as a negative, i believe that the average person may or may not care if they have emails that instantly come in. therefore this round is purely up to you.
    Agreed

Camera- blackberry has a 2 megapixel with flash vs. iPhone’s 5 megapixels with led flash and front facing 0.3 camera. iPhone takes one point this round.

Multi-tasking- While iPhone claims to be able to multi- task, its performance is nowhere near blackberry yet. Blackberry seamlessly transitions from every program installed. While iPhone requires its app’s and programs to be compatible with the multi-tasking feature. I assume that over time most programs such as att’s telenav will upgrade this.
    Agreed for the most part

Blackberry gets on the board this round with 1 point.

Browser- iPhone has the ability to open up to 8 webpages simultaneously while blackberry does not. iPhones browser is also significantly superior in regards to webpage display quality.

iPhone gets another point.

Messaging- Iphone has a threaded sms and mms log. This is user friendly and displays the conversation in an easily viewable fashion. Blackberry has the same thing and also has an integrated bbm which allows users on the blackberry network to communicate through the data plan free of charge. Bbm also allows for groups which can share photos, comments, lists, events in a Facebook like fashion. Blackberry also has very functional copy and paste feature in which you can select any portion of any text, email, or webpage easily and copy or paste. On the other hand iPhone has a limited copy and paste which only allows you to copy entire text messages and not portions of them. Iphone does allow for selective copy and paste in certain applications such as safari, however i found it to be difficult and clumsy.
    iPhone has some of the most robust CC and paste around, in fact many believe it to be the best, you are way off there. It is one of the easiest to use as well.

Blackberry takes this round down due to bbm and copy and paste.

Apps- You may have heard that blackberry world apps is limited and inferior to iPhone. While there is no question that apple has a larger app world, i question whether this is a pro or con. Since getting my iPhone i have downloaded approximately 40 apps. Most crash often, don’t work, or are a waste of time. When comparing to my blackberry, i notice my blackberry had all the major apps i needed i.e. Facebook, Pandora, twitter, etc. In fact i actually preferred my blackberry Facebook app because it functioned seamlessly with my internal camera. What i mean by this is that i could take a picture, press menu, and hit upload to face book in a matter of seconds. While on the iPhone, you are required to log in to your Facebook app, go to upload, find the photo in your camera roll, then upload. This is a simple example of how apps differ on the iPhone and blackberry. Iphone did have a Skype app which blackberry doesn’t have on att, but does have on Verizon.
    None of my iPhone apps crash often as you say, I just see your fanboism rearing it's ugly head here, Facebook, Pandora and twitter for the iPhone destroy those for any berry.

Decision- After examining the differences between networks and phones, this round is a draw because for the business professional having thousands of gimmick apps is worthless. For the avid iPhone gamer, the apps are priceless. Therefore this comes down to preference.

Voice Quality- After 10 minutes of using my iphone 4 I connected it with my car blue tooth and received a phone call, only to be told that my sound quality was horrible. I have been told that by everyone I speak with via Bluetooth and speaker phone on the iphone. While I used my blackberry I can be on blue tooth or speaker phone and the difference was much less distinguishable.
    Voice quality on my iPhone 4 with or without bluetooth (I have Plantronics Voyager Pro)(depending on which model) sounds impeccable. If you sound bad its your $5 bluetooth set.

Blackberry wins this one.

Overall Functionality and features- Blackberry is in my opinion more efficient, versatile and reliable. While it has an inferior screen, less apps, and higher resolution camera, it does have everything necessary for daily business use. Most importantly entering contacts, setting up meetings and reminders are quicker, and more detailed. Therefore i recommend the blackberry for the business professional.
    iPhone is gaining huge ground in the business world, I most definitely disagree. BlackBerry is all but DPW, dead phone walking.

Iphone in my opinion is more user friendly, easier on the eyes, and fun to play with. It has a limited copy and paste, no way to mark all emails as read, inferior multi-tasking and non-true push email, and a slow contact and meeting entry process. . However it does have a high resolution screen, more apps then you could afford, built in iPod player, and better camera. I recommend the iPhone 4 for those that enjoy social networking websites, watching videos, and using their phone for everything but work.
    You obviously don't know much about how to use your iPhone let alone give reviews on it if you mentioning the issues above.

This is a draw as it really depends on what matter most to you.

So the after tallying up what i thought to be the most important specs of the phone, it seems Blackberry wins 4-3, however due to the multiple draw rounds and varying importance of features to individual users, it really comes down to what you use the phone for. Feel free to post any questions, comments or concerns.

-Michael Izquierdo, Pasadena Wealth Realty[/QUOTE]
    Last edited by Entertainment72; 07-18-10 at 06:13 PM.
    07-16-10 05:31 PM
    it is what it is
    07-17-10 05:58 AM
    I love how when someone talks about a review of a product they don't really like someone is quick to call them a fanboy, and then defend their own product to the ends of the earth.. I won't quote, but there was a part in this entire passage where it was said "pandora, twitter etc.. apps blow berry apps out of the water." That seems to me like a fanboy comment. Not trying to lash out, SIMPLY GIVING MY OPINION
    07-17-10 09:35 AM
    Entertainment talks about fanboisom...hey pot, meet kettle, wow kettle, you have a black paint job as well...nicccce!

07-18-10 01:27 PM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD