I don't text often. Very rarely, but whenever I send or receive a text using the built in Messaging utility, my phone freezes up. Then I have to reboot it. Today my iPhone locked up on me and I didn't know what had happened. After I rebooted it, I saw that I had received a text message.

Does anyone know what could be causing this? My phone is jailbroken, but that shouldn't have anything to do with it.
    03-24-11 02:10 PM
    My iPhone has not locked up once since I've had it before VZW release day. I am not jailbroken but that wouldn't make a difference.
    03-24-11 03:36 PM
    My iPhone has not locked up once since I've had it before VZW release day. I am not jailbroken but that wouldn't make a difference.
    Thanks for your response, but I don't have any idea what you're talking about, or how it concerns my problem, or how this might help me.
    03-24-11 04:01 PM
    Are you sure jailbreaking wouldn't make a difference?

I find a significant performance impact when jailbroken.
    03-24-11 04:18 PM
    Since the jailbreak have you installed any other 3rd party SMS apps? I'm going to
    assume there's a good chance you haven't since you've said you don't do much SMS
    anyway. But if the problem continues you're not going to be able to do anything but
    restore the phone and jailbreak over again. Except that when you restore it, I
    wouldn't recover the previous backup. There might be something going on within
    the file system there that is causing this. Restoring the same backup after a restore would just bring you back to square one.
    03-24-11 04:21 PM
    Since the jailbreak have you installed any other 3rd party SMS apps? I'm going to
    assume there's a good chance you haven't since you've said you don't do much SMS anyway..
    I've installed 2 or 3 other SMS apps, just playing around. I'm going to uninstall them and see what happens.
    03-24-11 04:26 PM
    Thanks for your response, but I don't have any idea what you're talking about
    I said I have had the iPhone 4 on VZW before the official release day and it has not locked up. I didn't think that would be hard to understand.

or how it concerns my problem, or how this might help me.
    It doesn't really concern it. I am just saying I haven't experienced a lock up with my text app. It helps you because I am pretty positive jailbreaking does not cause problems with texting. I have never had a problem with my texting app with the 3G or 3GS while jailbroken, and I know people who are jailbroken with the iPhone 4 wh have no such issues.

Once again, when I said "jailbreaking wouldn't make a difference", I thought that wouldn't be hard to understand.
    03-24-11 05:13 PM
    Are you sure jailbreaking wouldn't make a difference?

I find a significant performance impact when jailbroken.
    I never had a performance impact. The only thing that hurt performance was lots of multitasking. Just being jailbroken has never hurt my devices performance.
    03-24-11 05:14 PM
    Once again, when I said "jailbreaking wouldn't make a difference", I thought that wouldn't be hard to understand.
    I'm sorry for the misunderstanding. When I said, "Does anyone know what could be causing this? My phone is jailbroken, but that shouldn't have anything to do with it", I was excluding the jailbreaking there.
    03-24-11 05:29 PM
    I'm sorry for the misunderstanding. When I said, "Does anyone know what could be causing this? My phone is jailbroken, but that shouldn't have anything to do with it", I was excluding the jailbreaking there.
    I know. I was just confirming that statement. Basically, there is no way to know because you didn't give more info about what it on your device. Maybe you installed a faulty package. Maybe a file went corrupt. Try restoring and rejailbreaking. That is the only way to find out wat is wrong.
    03-24-11 06:13 PM
    I know. I was just confirming that statement. Basically, there is no way to know because you didn't give more info about what it on your device. Maybe you installed a faulty package. Maybe a file went corrupt. Try restoring and rejailbreaking. That is the only way to find out wat is wrong.
    I guess that's what I'll have to do. I can live without texting, but I can't stop incoming texts, and it's a pain in the a**, having to reboot if one comes in.

On second thought, I may just wait for the untethered jailbreak for iOS 4.3 to come out, and then upgrade from 4.2.1 to that.
    03-24-11 06:29 PM
    I guess that's what I'll have to do. I can live without texting, but I can't stop incoming texts, and it's a pain in the a**, having to reboot if one comes in.

On second thought, I may just wait for the untethered jailbreak for iOS 4.3 to come out, and then upgrade from 4.2.1 to that.
    Texting problem is solved! I upgraded to 4.3.1 and jailbroke yesterday, and now sending and receiving texts doesn't lock up my phone anymore.
    04-05-11 01:45 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD