11-04-09 01:34 PM
    I dont buy the reasoning going around. So what, the part exists. Why is 7 months too early? It takes time to design these parts and build prototypes. They dont just CAD the parts, toss together a phone last second, order parts, and fit and build in it 30 days. Theres months of planning and prototype builds and testing of each build.

I dont think any of these writers get engineering or the product manufacturing process very well. Parts are designed well in advance, a test/beta build manufactured, then you have to assemble the prototype phones. Then they go out for testing, changes can/might not be made and then have to be redone or finalized. Im sure the parts are final designed a good 2-3 months prior to an iphone launch and just arent mass manufactured until a few weeks prior to launch.

Im also pretty sure Apple doesnt care about a part leak. all it does is build hype for their product- free advertising.

Sure this could be a part for it, its already November here. Sure, Apple could be pushing up the launch date to compete. I see nothing to the contrary as to why not other than a lot of silly speculation.
    Last edited by stuaw11; 11-04-09 at 01:56 PM.
    11-04-09 01:53 PM
    i think if apple & at&t were to push up the release of the new ipone it would be on at&t's part. it's been said that t-mo will be getting the 4g iphone. but i think at&t knows people will want the new iphone so they'll try to get it out before they lose the exclusive writes to the phone so people get locked into contracts. from what i've heard, apple was working on the 4th gen iphone while finishing the 3gs so that way they can be ready to launch on other networks soon after the contract ends with at&t.
    11-04-09 02:22 PM
    I think it could be a push for other carriers thats why we are seeing the early production...
    11-05-09 07:31 AM
    Agreed, I think the 4G will finally be sold outside of AT&T in the US. Hoping for an LTE model for VZW.......
    11-05-09 12:21 PM
    Only reason i can see it not going to verizon is cause of the adds verizon has been doing for the android. Then again, Apple is pretty forgiving. Also, don't forget Verizon turned down the Iphone & that's why Apple went to At&t.
    11-05-09 03:32 PM
    ^^those adds are motorola adds, Im sure VZ approved them, not produced them.

VZ just upped their ETF to $350, almost leads me to believe that VZ wont get the iphone...they know if 2010 rolls around and ATT/Apple announce another exclusivity contract then VZ will lose A. LOT. of customers...particularly ones that have been holding out with their fingers and toes crossed.
    11-05-09 04:41 PM
    i think att will pay whatever it will take to keep the iPhone.. thats just my opinion...
    11-05-09 04:59 PM
    ^^those adds are motorola adds, Im sure VZ approved them, not produced them.

VZ just upped their ETF to $350, almost leads me to believe that VZ wont get the iphone...they know if 2010 rolls around and ATT/Apple announce another exclusivity contract then VZ will lose A. LOT. of customers...particularly ones that have been holding out with their fingers and toes crossed.
    That's an interesting point. I hadn't thought of that. Maybe they are trying to lock people in so that customers won't bail when they find out that Verizon won't be getting the iPhone. I think $350 for ETF is insane. There should be no reason to charge that much.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-05-09 06:40 PM
    I think the $350 ETF is because the price of these smartphones is going through the roof. You can't buy any of the top shelf smartphones outright for anything less than $700 these days and VZW is just trying to recoup their subsidies to the handset makers. I know the phone companies make rediculous profits but if you kick back almost 50% to the manufacturer for each phone you sell, you have to have a customer for at least a year to justify the discounted price. For a dumb phone, it takes less time to turn a profit so a lower ETF makes sense, I can't believe I am agreeing with a carrier.......
    11-05-09 08:48 PM
    i see what you're saying but disagree, VZ has the worst smart phones out (jury on the droid is still out)...
    they are trying to stop people form leaving to a company with more options
    11-05-09 09:14 PM
    I think the $350 ETF is because the price of these smartphones is going through the roof. You can't buy any of the top shelf smartphones outright for anything less than $700 these days and VZW is just trying to recoup their subsidies to the handset makers. I know the phone companies make rediculous profits but if you kick back almost 50% to the manufacturer for each phone you sell, you have to have a customer for at least a year to justify the discounted price. For a dumb phone, it takes less time to turn a profit so a lower ETF makes sense, I can't believe I am agreeing with a carrier.......
    A smartphone costs less than $200 to build. We saw the cost breakdown in the past of the iphone and storm which were both less than $200, and I cant see any smartphone costing more than that to build. Even if they kick back half to the manufacturer at $100, a $500+ price tag is an INSANE profit for the carrier then, $200+.

$350 is inexcusable for an ETF. Say you get a $199 smartphone and complete the 2 years, how do you think they recoup the phone price the discounted to you? Out of your monthly fees to the carrier!

So theyre making money there AND on the ETF then for the phone. $350+ whatever they take monthly to recoup AFTER you pay $200 for the phone. Thats WELL over $550. No smartphone retails for more than $600 full price.

Basically VZW is giving people the shaft to lock them into contracts and prevent them from leaving (ie. new iphone in 2010).

i see what you're saying but disagree, VZ has the worst smart phones out (jury on the droid is still out)...
    agreed
    Last edited by stuaw11; 11-05-09 at 09:58 PM.
    11-05-09 09:52 PM
    I was reading about this on different blogs. It has nothing to do with VZW being scared they will not get the iphone and keeping people on their contracts. In my honest opinion, you will see the 4g iphone on VZW this time next year, or shortly after for the holiday rush. The reason they upped the ETF is because of the deals they have going on their BlackBerries and all the new high end smartphones they have coming out. 1) People are taking advantage of the Buy One Get One Blackberry and selling their 2nd one on Ebay and shortly after canceling their other line they created to get the free phone shortly after. 2) People are getting the newest phones, like the Droid before their upgrade time is up by adding another line and then when they get the phone they are cancelling the other line and transfering the shiny new device to their primary number. Either way you look at it, it is better than paying retail for the new device on an upgrade and the profit of selling it on Ebay is more than the old &175 ETF. That is why they doubled it. They unfortunately caught on when they saw the amounts of new lines that were being created, now that there are a *@$% load of new devices coming out, and cancellations not too long after.
    11-06-09 07:16 AM
    so wouldnt it be easier to stop the buy 1 get 1 promotion...instead of making every smart phone customer suffer...even ones that dont on bberrys?
    11-06-09 08:49 AM
    It would, but then you are punishing everyone instead of the few that are scamming them. I would offer it and then enforce that new ETF for 6 months on any "New Lines" added and then drop it back to the old ETF from that point on.
    11-06-09 09:02 AM
    A smartphone costs less than $200 to build. We saw the cost breakdown in the past of the iphone and storm which were both less than $200, and I cant see any smartphone costing more than that to build. Even if they kick back half to the manufacturer at $100, a $500+ price tag is an INSANE profit for the carrier then, $200+.

$350 is inexcusable for an ETF. Say you get a $199 smartphone and complete the 2 years, how do you think they recoup the phone price the discounted to you? Out of your monthly fees to the carrier!

So theyre making money there AND on the ETF then for the phone. $350+ whatever they take monthly to recoup AFTER you pay $200 for the phone. Thats WELL over $550. No smartphone retails for more than $600 full price.

Basically VZW is giving people the shaft to lock them into contracts and prevent them from leaving (ie. new iphone in 2010).

agreed

If VZW gets their phones at cost, where would the profit be for the handset manufacturers? I know carriers don't pay full retail for each phone as they have tremendous buying power, but I doubt VZW was getting Storms for the $200 it costs to produce them, maybe cost +10-30%.

Just as an example, AT&T pays Apple something like ~$450 for every 3GS it sells and an article I read somewhere says VZW would be paying something like $300 for each one if they were to get the iPhone. That would be a little less than 50% of the street price and it retails for well over $600 for a 32GB, also many of the high end HTC phones retail even higher.

If VZW is paying significantly less than the examples I gave then I can see why $350 is steep and would seem like highway robbery. I would think they pay more than the cost to manufacture.

I know the ETF is there the lock you in but I would never sign anything longer than a 1 year contract for any phone, I can tough it out for a year with any device regardless of how bad it is *cough* Storm 1 *cough* so to me the $350 is equivalent to a year of data and not something I am ever going to pay anyway.
    Last edited by armedtank; 11-06-09 at 11:45 AM.
    11-06-09 11:38 AM
    Either way apple has to step up i would say. After seeing Android 2.0 i am more and more drawn to getting a android phone. I have AT&T so im looking forward to that Dell phone should have android. Hopefully we can get a HTC like the touch pro 2 style phone with android.
    11-06-09 12:46 PM
    If VZW gets their phones at cost, where would the profit be for the handset manufacturers? I know carriers don't pay full retail for each phone as they have tremendous buying power, but I doubt VZW was getting Storms for the $200 it costs to produce them, maybe cost +10-30%.

Just as an example, AT&T pays Apple something like ~$450 for every 3GS it sells and an article I read somewhere says VZW would be paying something like $300 for each one if they were to get the iPhone. That would be a little less than 50% of the street price and it retails for well over $600 for a 32GB, also many of the high end HTC phones retail even higher.

If VZW is paying significantly less than the examples I gave then I can see why $350 is steep and would seem like highway robbery. I would think they pay more than the cost to manufacture.
    But you still have to factor in that if you complete your contract they have to make that money back somewhere. Theyre for sure pulling at least $5 of your monthly payment to them out to recoup those costs. Then they want to charge $350 on top? that sounds excessive even for a $600 smartphone you already shelled out $200 for up front.
    11-06-09 04:11 PM
    Absolutely FALSE. Name a company that has a better smartphone lineup as of now, and name the lineup.

Touch Pro 2 (All 4 carriers have)
    Imagio (Att has the Pure or whatever, Spring and Tmo, nope.)
    Droid (Jury isnt out, its overwhelmingly positive among users and exclusive to Verizon)
    Eris (Sprint has the same, Hero, and Tmo has the MyTouch which is similar, Att has no Android)
    HTC Ozone (Sprint has the same model, Its a decent standard WinMo phone)
    Omnia (With the Omnia II around the corner)

BlackBerry Tour
    BlackBerry Storm
    Pearl Flip (For those who want it)

Now please tell me who has a better smartphone/bb lineup. The argument of Verizon having the worst smartphone lineup was valid until they dropped the Touch Pro 2 and started dropping more good smartphones. You sound like the typical ATT fanboi.
    11-10-09 09:39 AM
    I agree. Verizon has a terrific smartphone lineup and it is about to get better. Within the last few months they have dropped the Touch Pro 2, Eris, Droid, Storm2. They have the tour, the are getting the 8530 and that new HTC Dragon that looks bad ***. All rumors lead to an Apple device around New Year and Possibly sometime next year they will have the iPhone and the storm 3 slider as rumored. What exactly does AT&T have to compete with this. Oh, and you can use your smartphone anywhere you want on 3g, lol. Sorry, Im curently with AT&T because of my iPhone, but I can't stand them and cant wait for Apple to make the plunge on Big Red.
    11-10-09 11:23 AM
    T-Mobile has an amazing smartphone lineup
    Shadow
    Dash
    Touch Pro
    Touch Pro 2

G1
    MyTouch
    Cliq

Curve 8900
    Curve 8520
    The 8700g (hehehe why even sell that?!)
    The 8820
    Pearl
    Pearl Flip
    Normal Curve......

bigger BB choice than vzw, and more Droid phones, too
    11-11-09 05:27 PM
    I was reading about this on different blogs. It has nothing to do with VZW being scared they will not get the iphone and keeping people on their contracts. In my honest opinion, you will see the 4g iphone on VZW this time next year, or shortly after for the holiday rush. The reason they upped the ETF is because of the deals they have going on their BlackBerries and all the new high end smartphones they have coming out. 1) People are taking advantage of the Buy One Get One Blackberry and selling their 2nd one on Ebay and shortly after canceling their other line they created to get the free phone shortly after. 2) People are getting the newest phones, like the Droid before their upgrade time is up by adding another line and then when they get the phone they are cancelling the other line and transfering the shiny new device to their primary number. Either way you look at it, it is better than paying retail for the new device on an upgrade and the profit of selling it on Ebay is more than the old &175 ETF. That is why they doubled it. They unfortunately caught on when they saw the amounts of new lines that were being created, now that there are a *@$% load of new devices coming out, and cancellations not too long after.

VZW will not get the I-Phone next year or with in the next 3 years
    12-07-09 12:18 PM
    It's not new news that the 4th gen Iphone is in the testing phase. There are even better pictures than that, available online.

What is also not new news, is that it's not CDMA.

That means it won't be on Verizon when it releases next summer.

End of story; for VZW having the Iphone next year.
    12-07-09 12:49 PM
    It's not new news that the 4th gen Iphone is in the testing phase. There are even better pictures than that, available online.

What is also not new news, is that it's not CDMA.

That means it won't be on Verizon when it releases next summer.

End of story; for VZW having the Iphone next year.
    Problem is all the pictures are photoshop jobs or the like AND Verizon's 4G network will NOT be CDMA...

And I'm not saying whether they will or they won't, just that you can't use CDMA as a failing point when it comes to the 4G. Nobody knows what will or will not happen except maybe the top dudes at VZW and Apple, and even they may not have anything worked out yet.
    Last edited by ChuckH0308; 12-08-09 at 01:31 AM. Reason: edit
    12-08-09 01:29 AM
    To get back on topic, if the part is real it means the same crock of crap shape and no hole for a flash. Let's welcome the iPhone 4G - same as the 3GS but runs on 4G networks (bearing in mind most of the US isn't even covered in 3G)

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-08-09 01:54 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD