There are a few quirks that are annoying (like not being able to attach a picture if you're already composing an e-mail)
    You can. While composing, just press the home button, go to camera roll, or a webpage, or wherever the photo is, hold your finger down to copy it, then go back to email, and paste it. I do it all the time that way.
    09-15-10 09:39 AM
    So i woke up this morning, and my phone was sitting in a puddle of water (please dont ask how, it was a bizarre situation..) and i need a phone. I was thinking of going to an iphone 4 from my 9700, but i know i will miss certain things, such as bbm. Judging by some peoples responses on here, they switched and never looked back! thats reassuring, but what about other phones such as android or the new windows phone 7? is it worth the wait?
    Right out of the gate, Windows Phone 7 probably won't be ready for prime time. It'll probably take them about a year to catch up to features found on most other smartphones. That's not saying it won't be good, just not quite fully baked at release. Next year, I would seriously consider Windows Phone 7, but until then, other platforms are more mature.

Android on the other hand, is quite ready. Their most recent update has made the high end devices, like Droid X, very compelling. There are a lot of things to like about Android, especially if you're using Google products like Gmail or Google Apps.

That said though, I would still go with iPhone. I have to admit, it took a bit of getting used to the new form factor of the i4. It's less curvy than previous models and felt a little weird in my hand at first. I'm used to it now and can't imagine going back to the older ones. iPhone has one drawback for most users, and it's the weakness of it's notifications system. That's not to say they don't work. There's just limited customization. For example, you can only select one ringtone for all your email accounts, instead of different ringtones for different accounts. If you're used to BB, you might miss the LED, I always kept the phone in my pocket, so I never missed it.

Aside from that, the iPhone is really a great device. I can go on and on about it's features, but that's been covered hundreds of times by others and myself. There are two things I want to point out though, the screen is incredible, and the UI is smooth as silk. I played around with a bunch of smartphones the past couple of months (Droids, Galaxy S, 9800, even a Wave) thinking there might be something better, but I have yet to find it.
    09-15-10 10:12 AM
    I agree with a lot of things Roo said. I came from the 9700 to the ip4. I always liked the iphone. Use to have the 3g before the i got my 9000. The 3g was missing a lot back then and that's the reason i went to RIM.
    I like Blackberry's...till this day i would say the 9700 is one if not the best phone i have ever used. If messaging/battery/calls are all you want the 9700 is TOP.

At first i only wanted to try the ip4 for about week and see what changed from when i last used an apple phone. So i got the phone maid it my phone for a week and tried to see if it could replace my berry. I was surprised at all the changes apple made. I actually enjoyed the phone and decided to give it one more week.... That was 2 months ago and still using the iphone LOL.

Things i miss about bb
    -Notification
    -Profiel ( I think i miss this the most)
    -keyboard ( i type good on the iphone 4 but still miss the keyboard)

I thought i would miss a lot more then that at first (BBM, Led, Short cuts, Speed dial, push emails on all accounts, ect)
    But No I actually enjoy having only 1 push account (the important one) I like not having a LED...for some reason i feel more relaxed LOL..... Shortcuts i do miss a little mostly R for reply F for forward but nothing big.... Speed dial..favourites is working good for me at the moment.

Bottom line is I really enjoy using the Ip4 and don't think i'll go back to RIM till something pulls me back in. I like RIM but for now apple is working good for me. And i believe that in the end it comes down to what works best for you.

Im not going to sit here and defend apple nor BB because if you ask me both those company's are scumbags..... but make cool things LOL
    09-15-10 11:04 AM
    Speed dial..favourites is working good for me at the moment.
    There's a $0.99 speed dial app called FaceDialer. It lets you put icons on the springboard. It's not exactly elegant, but it works and I use it.
    09-15-10 11:12 AM
    push emails on all accounts, ect
    If you are on Exchange, you can have multiple accounts pushed to your phone. I currently have 4 Exchange accounts pushed to me. It was one of the new features announced in iOS 4, hence my previous 3GS also had it. Just set up each account as Exchange. If you use Gmail or Hotmail or anything else that uses Activesync, it works.
    09-15-10 11:20 AM
    I have a gmail set as exchange wich works great. The other account was thinking about is a domain. I tried to go from Exchange but wasn't working for me... no worry's i sorta like not to have it push LOL... sunny how BB made me feel like i need to reply ASAp... and now with the Iphone it's more like i'll get to it when i get to it LOL.... I like that

If you are on Exchange, you can have multiple accounts pushed to your phone. I currently have 4 Exchange accounts pushed to me. It was one of the new features announced in iOS 4, hence my previous 3GS also had it. Just set up each account as Exchange. If you use Gmail or Hotmail or anything else that uses Activesync, it works.
    09-15-10 11:53 AM
    You guys are correct. iOS4 does support multiple exchange accounts. So now, my IP4 gets email just as fast a a berry.

One thing I do miss is being a part of the crackberry forums. There just doesn't seem to be as good a website supporting the IPhone as there is here.

On the plus side though, I don't have to worry about a lame IT dept snooping through my text messages any more.
    09-17-10 08:43 AM
    I get my e-mails just as fast as my computer at work. I have 2 exchange e-mails set up and they work great!
    09-17-10 09:09 AM
    Happy to see someone who dont bash the Torch.

Personnaly the Torch is perfect for what I do with it, the keyboard will miss me too much, and os6 is the best thing that happen to bb since the trackball. It's nice to see a ''neutral'' comparaison between both.

Nice post!
    09-17-10 09:47 AM
    You guys are correct. iOS4 does support multiple exchange accounts. So now, my IP4 gets email just as fast a a berry.

One thing I do miss is being a part of the crackberry forums. There just doesn't seem to be as good a website supporting the IPhone as there is here.

On the plus side though, I don't have to worry about a lame IT dept snooping through my text messages any more.
    this part i don't understand...
    the iOS4 is actually easier to hack/manipulate than BES/BIS.

as for the website.. try macrumors.com
    09-17-10 06:56 PM
    this part i don't understand...
    the iOS4 is actually easier to hack/manipulate than BES/BIS.

as for the website.. try macrumors.com
    If you are on BES, IT can see everything on your device including denying you the ability to delete anything, basically zero privacy. Also, BIS, from a security standpoint, is significantly different than BES. BIS and SSL are very near equivalent security levels.

On iPhone, IT can't see your text messages. There are new IT tools for iPhone, but I'm not sure what policies it enforces, but I believe at current, it allows distribution of apps and enforcing certain security policies. I dont think in it's current iteration it allows complete control ala BB.

As for getting your iPhone hacked, that's not a commonplace occurrence. There's a big difference between the possibility of something happening and it actually happening. I'm not sure if anybody has actually gotten their iPhone hacked. In the UAE though tens of thousands, perhaps hundreds of thousands, got sent an OTA app to their BBs that let the the telcos spy on them. Now that's some serious hackage.

As for iOS being more easily hacked, that's incorrect. As shown by my previous UAE example, it's pretty easy to hack BB, you just need the correct permissions. The hard part of BB and the part Enterprise loves is that email transmissions are virtually indecipherable. Even if one steals or finds a device and takes out the memory chip, it's still encrypted. That's the awesome part of BB, but again, it's only an advantage if you are on BES. BIS is significantly weaker encryption. That's why India already cracked it, but are having trouble with BES.
    Last edited by Roo Zilla; 09-17-10 at 07:46 PM.
    09-17-10 07:37 PM
    I have my own domain and also use a company domain. Both not on exchange. Will the iPhone push those emails like the BB does?
    Non-Exchange accounts that are POP3 aren't instant Push on a BB either. There's a delay associated with the BIS servers polling that account before it actually pushes the email to your BB, so there's really no crying over spilled milk with that one.
    09-17-10 10:59 PM
    If you are on BES, IT can see everything on your device including denying you the ability to delete anything, basically zero privacy. Also, BIS, from a security standpoint, is significantly different than BES. BIS and SSL are very near equivalent security levels.

On iPhone, IT can't see your text messages. There are new IT tools for iPhone, but I'm not sure what policies it enforces, but I believe at current, it allows distribution of apps and enforcing certain security policies. I dont think in it's current iteration it allows complete control ala BB.

As for getting your iPhone hacked, that's not a commonplace occurrence. There's a big difference between the possibility of something happening and it actually happening. I'm not sure if anybody has actually gotten their iPhone hacked. In the UAE though tens of thousands, perhaps hundreds of thousands, got sent an OTA app to their BBs that let the the telcos spy on them. Now that's some serious hackage.

As for iOS being more easily hacked, that's incorrect. As shown by my previous UAE example, it's pretty easy to hack BB, you just need the correct permissions. The hard part of BB and the part Enterprise loves is that email transmissions are virtually indecipherable. Even if one steals or finds a device and takes out the memory chip, it's still encrypted. That's the awesome part of BB, but again, it's only an advantage if you are on BES. BIS is significantly weaker encryption. That's why India already cracked it, but are having trouble with BES.
    Thanks for the clarification regarding the BES/BIS and OS4 comparison. But still I don't feel comfortable using a company issued phone or SIM card for personal use even as innocent as please don't forget to buy Milk.
    Maybe it's from knowing what the GOvT can do that scares me even if I work for them. Regardless of platforms, if Uncle Sam wants to hear, read and See you there are ways.
    2 words. " Patriot Act".

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-18-10 11:06 AM
    4. Physical Keyboard: you just can not type as fast on a touchscreen
    Yes you can, you just can't.
    09-18-10 11:47 AM
    Not true, iOS4 supports multiple Exchange accounts (Gmail, yahoo, Exchange, windows Live, etc) which all use Exchange technology
    I was pissed off when I set up my E-Mail using GMail, which didn't do ****. I got help at MacRumors about using Microsoft's Exchange to get Push working.

Anyways, while do love my i4 like OP I will probably go back to BlackBerry. What's model number will come out after 99XX? LOL
    09-18-10 04:29 PM
    One other thing I have noticed is that when I had a BB, the IT policy prevented me from connecting to certain websites such as TMZ and Cracked. Now with the IPhone, I can view any website I want. Freedom never felt so good.
    09-19-10 08:43 AM
    One other thing I have noticed is that when I had a BB, the IT policy prevented me from connecting to certain websites such as TMZ and Cracked. Now with the IPhone, I can view any website I want. Freedom never felt so good.
    Don't worry your IT dept will catch up. Ha ha!

09-19-10 09:08 AM
    Thanks for the clarification regarding the BES/BIS and OS4 comparison. But still I don't feel comfortable using a company issued phone or SIM card for personal use even as innocent as please don't forget to buy Milk.
    Maybe it's from knowing what the GOvT can do that scares me even if I work for them. Regardless of platforms, if Uncle Sam wants to hear, read and See you there are ways.
    2 words. " Patriot Act".

The US government has been able to intercept all voice and Internet communications since the passage of CALEA during the Clinton administration. There was even a pretty famous case recently concerning AT&T and a secret room where they stored servers to allow the government to spy on people in real time. All communications devices sold in the US have to be CALEA compliant, or else they cannot be sold. Basically, that means US gov can listen in, and/or read anything you communicate on any device including all smartphones.
    09-19-10 11:54 AM
    Although the OP made a few valid points I too coming from bb and switching to the iPhone don't see myself ever going back. Sure BB can drop some real nice device(s) later on down the road but I feel that they are just too far behind at this point. I mean I was a serious bb fan and loved it for business and personal, but when I steped away from them and tried another (iPhone 4) ppft I seriously doubt it. I think that by the time bb catches up to Apple or even Android they will have other units to demolish RIM again.

09-19-10 04:21 PM
    I agree with a lot of things Roo said. I came from the 9700 to the ip4. I always liked the iphone. Use to have the 3g before the i got my 9000. The 3g was missing a lot back then and that's the reason i went to RIM.
    I like Blackberry's...till this day i would say the 9700 is one if not the best phone i have ever used. If messaging/battery/calls are all you want the 9700 is TOP.

At first i only wanted to try the ip4 for about week and see what changed from when i last used an apple phone. So i got the phone maid it my phone for a week and tried to see if it could replace my berry. I was surprised at all the changes apple made. I actually enjoyed the phone and decided to give it one more week.... That was 2 months ago and still using the iphone LOL.

Things i miss about bb
    -Notification
    -Profiel ( I think i miss this the most)
    -keyboard ( i type good on the iphone 4 but still miss the keyboard)

I thought i would miss a lot more then that at first (BBM, Led, Short cuts, Speed dial, push emails on all accounts, ect)
    But No I actually enjoy having only 1 push account (the important one) I like not having a LED...for some reason i feel more relaxed LOL..... Shortcuts i do miss a little mostly R for reply F for forward but nothing big.... Speed dial..favourites is working good for me at the moment.

Bottom line is I really enjoy using the Ip4 and don't think i'll go back to RIM till something pulls me back in. I like RIM but for now apple is working good for me. And i believe that in the end it comes down to what works best for you.

Im not going to sit here and defend apple nor BB because if you ask me both those company's are scumbags..... but make cool things LOL
    You HIT it right on the nail with what i highlighted. Without the LED constantly flashing and checking my email (push email at that but i actually have 4 not just 1). when i want to is so much more relaxing. you don't feel compelled to pick the thing up everytime it blinks.
    09-19-10 05:07 PM
    Here is what I miss about my berry:
    1.BBM: nothing else like it
    2. Notifications: they are so weak on the IP4 unless you jailbreak
    3. Push Email: You can get one, yes one account with push on a IP4. I had to pay $9 for a service (lifetime cost) to get push email for the rest of my accounts
    4. Physical Keyboard: you just can not type as fast on a touchscreen
    5. Sounds: yes, I said I miss notifications and like, but I miss the sound of a blackberry.
    Google iOS 4.2 Beta.... customized notifications... so they say.

I get push through Exchange with gmail and live.ca
    09-19-10 05:11 PM
    I thought I would add a couple of follow up comments. The new-ness (yes a made up word) has worn off and now after the love affair we are back to reality. What do I really like about my Iphone 4? The web browser is great. It renders so well. I am able to view just about any page I want to. That alone makes me enjoy this phone.

The display is amazing. I just have not seen any other phone that has such detail and crispness (another made up word) out there.

Shooting HD video with the camera and uploading to Youtube is a cool feature. I never uploaded videos to Youtube before because of the steps involved, but now, I just shoot a video and upload it.

The apps. Oh the apps. I went on a app binge and bought a bunch of games and junk. There are some cool ones out there for sure. At the end of the day, mostly I just use twitter, facebook, mafia wars, espn mobile, around me, skype, and itranslate.

There are times when I miss the world of a blackberry. I may venture back, but it would take a monumental change to make me do it. If I want to delete an app, I just delete it, no more having to reboot and wait for 10 minutes to have a phone again.

Anyway, just a morning ramble.
    09-28-10 07:01 AM
    I thought I would add a couple of follow up comments. The new-ness (yes a made up word) has worn off and now after the love affair we are back to reality. What do I really like about my Iphone 4? The web browser is great. It renders so well. I am able to view just about any page I want to. That alone makes me enjoy this phone.

The display is amazing. I just have not seen any other phone that has such detail and crispness (another made up word) out there.

Shooting HD video with the camera and uploading to Youtube is a cool feature. I never uploaded videos to Youtube before because of the steps involved, but now, I just shoot a video and upload it.

The apps. Oh the apps. I went on a app binge and bought a bunch of games and junk. There are some cool ones out there for sure. At the end of the day, mostly I just use twitter, facebook, mafia wars, espn mobile, around me, skype, and itranslate.

There are times when I miss the world of a blackberry. I may venture back, but it would take a monumental change to make me do it. If I want to delete an app, I just delete it, no more having to reboot and wait for 10 minutes to have a phone again.

Anyway, just a morning ramble.
    Glad to hear you're still enjoying the iPhone. I agree with you on all points and I also can't see myself going back to a Blackberry anytime soon. When I saw the press release for the PlayBook, I thought that was very interesting and was gonna buy one, but when I saw it won't be released until next year, I'm now thinking, may as well wait for iPad Part Deux.

If you do a lot of browsing, you might want to try Atomic Web. It's a skin on top of Safari, but it includes features like tabbed browsing, which I find very useful, and full screen mode with transparent buttons. There's a free version and a $0.99 version.
    09-28-10 11:00 AM
    +1 for Atomic browser
    09-28-10 12:08 PM
    I will check out Atomic. Thanks for the idea.
    09-28-10 05:17 PM
51 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD