So for those that have experience with the 16GB and 32GB 3GS models, given the information I will explain, do I need to go with the larger capacity or will 16GB suffice.

Im not one who feels they need to put their entire music/iTunes collection on their phone. I will probably have no more than 1GB worth of music at any one time. If Im feeling conflicted maybe another 1GB but doubtful. As far as videos I wont have more than a few on there. Maybe another 1GB or 2. As far as apps, I highly doubt I would ever get more than 100 apps at once and from what I understand, outside of GPS apps, they are all pretty much 10MB or less. So at a 100 apps maybe another 1GB there. Lets say I buy a GPS app that takes up 2GB. So Ive got 1GB in music, 1GB of videos, 1GB of Apps and a 2GB GPS app. Ive used 5GB and I would have somewhere between 10GB and 11GB left.

Now lets talk about photos. I wont really load anything more than some wallpapers but when I start taking photos (and videos) I wont let them pile up for too long without moving them to my MacBook. So if I have several hundred photos on the iPhone at any one time, lets say 1GB to 2GB used.

Would I be fine in this scenario? Or should I go for 32GB? So I may get down to 8GB free, maybe less if I let stuff build up more. Would you find this acceptable for your use?
    06-08-10 12:59 PM
    Right now I would pop for the 32GB. It will help with resale value. I've always been the one to get the lower capacity one because even with a couple thousand songs, apps, pictures and video I never reach capacity. I have the 16GB 3GS now and still have 2GB left with a lot of content. But with the new iPhone have HD recording and the pictures and stuff will be of better quality, more space will be needed so I am going for the 32GB this time around. At the end of the day it all depends on what you are going to use it for. For instance, my wife has a 16GB 3GS with no music (she streams radio) on it. Just pictures and Apps. She has like 12 gigs left so she's getting the 16GB iphone 4. Me I need the 32 because I put a lot of music and expect to be recording everything in HD lol.
    06-08-10 01:14 PM
    It will help with resale value
    Yes thats truly correct!
    06-08-10 09:29 PM
    Right now I would pop for the 32GB. It will help with resale value.
    The $100 more for the initial purchase translates into about $100 of extra resale value. /shrug.

If you can't find 2GB of stuff to put on your phone, you won't find 32GB of stuff to put on your phone. I know it sounds obvious.
    06-08-10 11:04 PM
    The 32gb might be a tiny bit more desirable for some, but it only brings in the extra $100 more that you paid up front. Its not like youll be able to resell it for $250 more than a 16gb version.

Get the capacity you think youll fill. I only have about 8 gigs filled on my 32 so I probably will only go for the 16 this time around.
    06-09-10 12:11 AM
    I only have about 8 gigs filled on my 32 so I probably will only go for the 16 this time around.
    Without getting too personal, what all comprises that 8GB? Like how many of each file type? From my estimates I can have 200 songs, a few movies, 200 photos, 100 apps and still have over 10GB free so the 16GB should be fine for me.
    06-09-10 07:02 AM
    The $100 more for the initial purchase translates into about $100 of extra resale value. /shrug.

If you can't find 2GB of stuff to put on your phone, you won't find 32GB of stuff to put on your phone. I know it sounds obvious.
    1. It's not only the extra 100 bucks for resale it's also easier to sell and more desirable than the lower capacity one. So that makes resale better in itself.

2. I have 2GB left and I don't have many videos. I guess you missed the part where I said I'll be recording everything in HD now. Being as though the HD videos are of a higher quality, they will take up more space. So 16GB won't cut it FOR ME with the iPhone 4. And that also means more music since I DON'T have my entire music collection, just select playlist.

How about you read before you respond?
    06-09-10 08:24 AM
    i always had the 16gb... 3g and 3gs... but this time i think i will go for the 32GB. I never even came close to the 16 but for some reason the 32 feels right lol.... Also if you like videos I think you should get the 32.... the what 720 HD?? or something those are going to take up space.
    06-09-10 09:28 AM
    1. It's not only the extra 100 bucks for resale it's also easier to sell and more desirable than the lower capacity one. So that makes resale better in itself.

2. I have 2GB left and I don't have many videos. I guess you missed the part where I said I'll be recording everything in HD now. Being as though the HD videos are of a higher quality, they will take up more space. So 16GB won't cut it FOR ME with the iPhone 4. And that also means more music since I DON'T have my entire music collection, just select playlist.

How about you read before you respond?
    I agree with 1. and 2.!!

OP, take scorpiodsu's wisdom of words. but its up to you if iP4 16GB is right suit. then go for it.. however Poster has a right point..
    06-09-10 10:54 AM
    Being that it does some things in HD as well as developers creating more Apps that increase in space I am going to get the 32GB. From the looks of it though 16gb might be enough for you, I currently have the 16GB and it's good, other than not being able to put some movies on it (4/5).
    06-09-10 11:20 AM
    16GB would be fine if you aren't concerned about keeping everything on your device or if you don't have a lot of stuff to put there any. My wife has so much space on her 16GB 3GS because she doesn't care about having her music and she only has a couple hundred songs. And she doesn't take a lot of videos. If the 8GB was available when we bought it, she would have that one. I on the other hand, like having everything with with me and will use video recording more so I will need the extra space.
    06-09-10 11:23 AM
    32GB because your iTunes library is always evolving. Even if it's just by one album a month.

I started with an 8GB, but filled it, then moved to a 16GB, and filled it, then moved to the 32GB, and if it weren't for compressing my files it would be filled by now too.
    06-09-10 11:27 AM
    This is will be my first iphone, I'm so getting the 32 GB.
    06-09-10 04:29 PM
    I will be opting for the 32GB version myself... ))
    06-09-10 05:33 PM
    I wasn't going to go for the 32 but I have the money to since I saved for the full price early on and am now eligible for the full upgrade. If you have the money, there is no such thing as too much space, just not enough
    06-09-10 08:32 PM
    I forget to tell, When you get Ip4 16GB, but you wont have 16GB, but 15 or 14GB..

Perfect example is my 32GB iTouch has only 29.28GB of free space, it is totally plain robbery.. Stop advertising it as 32GB...it is 29.28. Another example is my 20GB XB360 hard drive has 16GB data only.

If you are trying to buy a product knowing you will need all XXGB for a file or program, it is important to know how much ACTUAL space you have.
    Last edited by VIDGMER; 06-12-10 at 02:24 PM.
    06-12-10 02:16 PM
    I forget to tell, When you get Ip4 16GB, but you wont have 16GB, but 15 or 14GB..

Perfect example is my 32GB iTouch has only 29.28GB of free space, it is totally plain robbery.. Stop advertising it as 32GB...it is 29.28. Another example is my 20GB XB360 hard drive has 16GB data only.

If you are trying to buy a product knowing you will need all XXGB for a file or program, it is important to know how much ACTUAL space you have.
    Yeah that's true but it's the same with computers. You buy one with a 200 GB HD, a couple gigs of that will be filled with the actual OS install and pre-installed apps. Just something we have to deal with across the board. I think that's pretty much the truth for any device that has internal storage.
    06-12-10 03:35 PM
    I get the 32gb every time as I always get the one
    with the highest capacity every year. The truth?
    All I'll ever need is 8gb of space, the most 16gb. I
    don't use the iPhone for media unless I'm going to
    the gym and even then all I need is about 10-15
    songs and/or a couple podcasts.
    06-12-10 04:45 PM
    Same here, using about 8gb on my 32gb 3GS.

If I was getting 2 year pricing Id prob spring 299 for the 32gb, but surely not 499. Ill stick with 399. I dont record any video (never have yet) so Im not worried about HD videos etc.
    06-12-10 05:10 PM
    I filled my 16gb pretty easy, and I like keeping my entire library on it...why not, its an mp3 player right?

I'm definitely getting the 32gb. I'd get a 64gb if it were available. The HD videos will definitely take up more room than people are expecting. I like the option of being able to tape something for a long time if needed (although I doubt I'll have to).

To each his own though, but for me the ease of resale and the flexibility of options makes me always err on the side of caution.
    06-12-10 05:14 PM
    yeah, you gotta go with the most gb you can get. I made the error of getting the 16gb 3gs. I won't do that this time around
    06-12-10 05:40 PM
    IF you have an iphone already it should be an easy decision. Go into your settings, general, about and it tells you how much space youre using. If youre at 8gb or less I cant see spending more for the 32GB.
    06-12-10 05:45 PM
    i had a 16 and it was fine but i think if i do it this time around im gonna go 32 and start to dl more movies
    06-12-10 06:42 PM
    I got a 16GB 3GS and I have 1.3 GB left. Definitely going 32GB because I don't have all my music and pics because of the space and with HD vids, I def need the 32GB.
    06-12-10 09:14 PM
    Currently have a 32GB 3GS which I never I never thought I'd go 10GB's over. And
    now I currently have about 11GB's of space left which can easily be filled. So I'm
    going with 32GB on a 4th gen.
    06-13-10 04:08 PM
38 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD