So I know backing up/restoring 12 of 14 gigs of data is horrendously slow.. I made the mistake of doing it over a USB 1.1 connection and it took 9 hours.

Here it is, got my 3GS, restoring the backup from my 3G onto it and it's been 3 hours.. anyone else's take this long? wtf man!!
    07-01-09 11:44 PM
    So I know backing up/restoring 12 of 14 gigs of data is horrendously slow.. I made the mistake of doing it over a USB 1.1 connection and it took 9 hours.

Here it is, got my 3GS, restoring the backup from my 3G onto it and it's been 3 hours.. anyone else's take this long? wtf man!!

this has been a known issue sense the iPhone launched..

I can't remember what people finally figured out how to get around it but it was definitely common back then..

I would suggest searching the forums on the iPhone support site as I am sure the fix would probably be over there.. somewhere..
    07-02-09 12:04 AM
    this has been a known issue sense the iPhone launched..

I can't remember what people finally figured out how to get around it but it was definitely common back then..

I would suggest searching the forums on the iPhone support site as I am sure the fix would probably be over there.. somewhere..
    This issue was addressed and fixed.

OP: Not sure why it took that long, but usually the backups after that are snappier.
    07-02-09 01:43 AM
    This issue was addressed and fixed.

OP: Not sure why it took that long, but usually the backups after that are snappier.

yes I thought it was as like I said it was a problem roughly around launch of iPhone all together..

I just couldn't remember if it was fixed in a patch or if it was fixed by finding out a problem with a program or something..

I had the phone nearly full and it never took as long as some of these people's
    07-02-09 01:54 AM
    I haven't had this problem with any of my iPhones. Longest a backup ever took for was was 5 minutes with the 3G and that happened once.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-02-09 10:44 AM
    I just did a restore from backup (installed 3.1) and it took 22 minutes, faster than the second to last time (on 3G, not 3GS) I did it which took an hour (without music). I'm not sure if it's the betas that are taking this long as that is the only time it's ever taken that long.
    07-02-09 10:54 AM
    Backing up takes a while for the first time... everyone after that is quicker because there isn't any new info. Unlike BlackBerry and Desktop Manager, it only backs up changed, new and deleted data; pretty much anything that was edited in the device. Whether it be settings, playlists or apps.
    07-02-09 10:55 AM
    Usually if there's corrupt data, backing up will take a bit longer...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-02-09 10:58 AM
    Well, I have about 6 gigs of movies.. about 4 gigs of music, and about 2.5 gigs of applications..

When I plug my iPhone in, will it tell me if it's in a 1.1 slot? Thats the only thing I can think of.. I'm plugging it into the top USB ports on my PC.. it hasn't given me this warning, so I cant figure out whats going on.

PC is a Quad Core Phenom, Vista 64bit and 4 gigs of ram.
    07-02-09 11:09 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD