06-10-09 10:10 AM
84 1234
tools
    I can care less about video, but I will definitely take the speed upgrade. That and the 32GB version are enough for me to buy one. For me this isn't a let down. If I had my 3G still, I would have definitely kicked it to the curb for those 2 features alone.

Put it this way, it's hard for them to make the best touch screen in the business better than it is. No need for a design change, it looks perfect the way it is. Camera upgrade was "needed" I guess, but I don't buy devices for their cameras so I don't care. And the software upgrade is great too. Yes they could have added more features, but you know Apple, they always leave you wanting more, and they succeed every time, because they keep bringing in more money even though people know what's not their.

The Pre might be a big contender, but the device fells like a piece of **** in hand. The Storm 2 will be the big one, but I wouldn't like to see the same old tired (but awesome) OS on it. It needs a completely new design for a touchscreen, plus a web browser that can actually compare to Android, the Pre and the iPhone. We will all have to wait and see.
    06-08-09 10:43 PM
    So are you saying that even though Apple states that 3.0 is going to have MMS, ATT is going to make you wait more for MMS? I am looking into the iphone, and I have been reading as much as possible. Sorry if this is a newb question.
    Yes ATT said that they will be allowing that feature to be used later on this summer. Just jailbreak the thing (if happens) and just SMS that way.
    06-08-09 10:44 PM
    As of today, you get an iPhone that has twice the memory, faster processor, MMS, video, a vastly improved camera (with features that no other cell phone matches), voice control and a compass... for the SAME price of the old iPhone.

And THAT'S a "huge letdown"???? Are you frikken' kidding me?
    06-08-09 11:30 PM
    Voice control is ancient, just the iphone didn't have it... Same goes for MMS. Odds are most people owned phones years ago that could do both. Compass? Yeah I don't think that's going to be very big for most people.

It's not the same price unless you are eligible for an upgrade...

Once again, a "vastly improved" camera with zero flash is missing something crucial...
    06-08-09 11:32 PM
    As of today, you get an iPhone that has twice the memory, faster processor, MMS, video, a vastly improved camera (with features that no other cell phone matches), voice control and a compass... for the SAME price of the old iPhone.

And THAT'S a "huge letdown"???? Are you frikken' kidding me?
    I think what the OP means is it was a let down from the upgrade perspective:

1. Twice the memory: Ok, that is nice, but what if I don't even fill up the 16 GB I have currently? All that wasted space...

2. Faster processor: So if the app takes 2 seconds to open and now takes 1 second, is it really that much of a difference?

3. MMS: That's available for free for my 3G anyway.

4. Video: Free for the 3G.

5. Vastly improved camera: Ok, yes the camera is better. But still no flash for taking low-light pictures. And it hardly has features "no other cell phone matches". Have you seen the Sony-Ericsson (Carl Zeiss lenses anyone?), Samsung, and LG 5.0 MP and 8.0 MP camera smartphones?? They're more cameras that can make calls.

6. Voice controls: Yeah, that's a very nice feature. But how often am I really going to use that? Maybe to place a call at the very most. Starting the Voice Control app just to see what song is playing is kind of a waste when it's more than likely already being displayed on the screen. Using it to control the media player is neat, but ultimately lazy when the controls are right there.

7. Compass: Again, another nice to have feature. GPS does just as good of a job telling me which direction I'm going. Only real use is if someone writes a program to use the magnometer for something other than the compass. Like a stud finder or something.

So if you already have an iPhone or 3G, the vast majority of the 3GS features are covered with the 3.0 OS upgrade, which is $299 less than the 3GS promotional price. The 3G right now is a perfectly fine phone. For the OP, the extra hardware that the 3GS has just isn't worth shelling out $299 or more for at the moment, which is what makes it underwhelming. For a brand new customer, then the 3GS is a great phone to get.

$299 can get you a very nice digital camera that will blow away the 3GS's camera in every respect. And the compass, well, you can pretty much get one from Wal-Mart for $2.
    Last edited by Zipster; 06-08-09 at 11:52 PM.
    06-08-09 11:50 PM
    I never said 3GS was the be-all, end-all perfect smartphone, nor is it a major improvement over the 3G.

However, there ARE a TON of new features and improved specs with zero increase in price. It's absurd to say that's a huge letdown.

I think there were a lot of rumors and expectations that didn't come to fruition. Not all fairy tales come true.
    06-09-09 12:06 AM
    It's absurd to say that's a huge letdown.
    No, it's subjective to say it's a huge letdown.
    06-09-09 12:47 AM
    They could have done so much more... I'm thinking they have more waiting in the wings, but maybe they wanted good ol Steve-o to announce it
    06-09-09 02:07 AM
    They could have done so much more... I'm thinking they have more waiting in the wings, but maybe they wanted good ol Steve-o to announce it
    Oh they do have more. Expect announcements in June 2010, then June 2011, then June 2012...
    06-09-09 02:39 AM
    Now we know what Apple looks like without Jobs!
    You really think Steve Jobs is "out of the loop" with what is going on at Apple. So, if Steve wasn't on leave the iphone would've had more updates....please.

If you believe the update wasn't enough that's fine,but it had nothing to do with SJ being on sick leave.Heck,the Mac Mini sit without an update forever while SJ was in full control.
    Last edited by orangepeel; 06-09-09 at 04:15 AM.
    06-09-09 04:11 AM
    The heck is everyone complaining about? There wasn't a major update to the Curve series (initial release 2007) until this year (2009). How is this any different? Considering the release of 3.0 OS AND hardware improvements (especially better processor and memory), this is one heck of an upgrade for only being released a year later.
    Last edited by gbadude; 06-09-09 at 06:00 AM.
    06-09-09 05:36 AM
    I am sorry but after all the announcements made and the "upgrades", I am at a loss. I was completely unimpressed today. Not worth upgrading IMO. Thoughts?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    The S in the new Iphone 3GS stands for Software. Because that's about the only difference.
    06-09-09 05:58 AM
    I just got an email from Apple about this phone. it said the price was $499/599/699 for the 8/16/32 gb phones WITH a 2 year contract. Tell me that's wrong! They couldn't really be serious about those prices.
    EDIT: No, the website says it's $199/$299 for 16gb/32gb with contract. That's better. The email I got was wrong. The list of new features is pretty boring. I haven't used my video camera twice on the 8900 and I haven't used voice dialing since my Moto StarTac. Adding that stuff is like adding Pacman games, kind of retro IMO. How 'bout something NEW?
    No, if you currently have an Iphone 3G and don't have an upgrade or are close to the expiration of said contract, then it will cost you $399 & $499.
    06-09-09 06:01 AM
    Apple laid an egg, all these "new" features have been on phones forever. What's the point of a faster processor when you can only run one program at a time anyway? A compass? really? Voice control? again really? Camera looks decent. These revolutionary features aren't worth forking the money over for. And ATT not subsidizing it for current loyal customers... smh, safe to say, my mom will NOT be getting this phone this year and will be stuck with her 3G.
    06-09-09 09:24 AM
    The S in the new Iphone 3GS stands for Software. Because that's about the only difference.
    So the processor, memory, camera... all software?

I hate Apple as much as the next guy, but geez people...

Like I said in the Bold forum... solid upgrade effort from Apple, but its sad this wasn't the iPhone that was released 2 years ago. I would have one if it was.
    06-09-09 09:37 AM
    There wasn't a major update to the Curve series (initial release 2007) until this year (2009).
    I fail to see how that relates. All the basic functionality of a "smartphone" was included with the Curve when it came out. Aside of the hardware upgrades, Apple is touting what should be largely a maintenance release that brings the iPhone to the same operational level as almost every other "smartphone" as a major OS upgrade.

I mean, c'mon, should we really jump up and down that MMS is finally included with the iPhone at release 3.0 of the OS (and even then, it's still not for AT&T customers)?

Look, I'm not an iPhone hater. If it had an actual keyboard it would be the greatest "smartphone" out there. But the 3Gs/3.0 release really isn't a major upgrade.
    06-09-09 10:32 AM
    I fail to see how that relates. All the basic functionality of a "smartphone" was included with the Curve when it came out. Aside of the hardware upgrades, Apple is touting what should be largely a maintenance release that brings the iPhone to the same operational level as almost every other "smartphone" as a major OS upgrade.

I mean, c'mon, should we really jump up and down that MMS is finally included with the iPhone at release 3.0 of the OS (and even then, it's still not for AT&T customers)?

Look, I'm not an iPhone hater. If it had an actual keyboard it would be the greatest "smartphone" out there. But the 3Gs/3.0 release really isn't a major upgrade.
    It's relevant because it took RIM two years to make a major upgrade to the Curve series, which Apple has also done in the same time span. Especially when you compare the 1st gen iPhone against iPhone 3GS, there's no way you can say it's not a huge upgrade. Do you consider Onyx an upgrade from Bold? If you do, I don't see how you can not consider iPhone 3GS as an upgrade.

And I'd hardly say that the iPhone hasn't been on the same operational level as other smartphones. Heck, email implementation on the iPhone is MUCH better than BIS. No folder support? No two way sync? No undelete? I'd argue that these are very basic email functions that should have been available on BIS a long time ago.

People just need to stop complaining. Think about it that way, the people that are eligible for the subsidized prices are either 1) 1st gen customers and 2) new customers, both of which iPhone 3GS is a huge upgrade. For current 3G customers - personally I think is a big enough upgrade to get the new one - aren't eligible for the discounted price anyways, so why does it matter? It's not like you'll be buying it. And current iPhone 3G customers, if you really want, just sell your damn phone now. I just sold mine for $460, that pretty much covers the $400 for 16gb iPhone 3GS. It' like getting a free upgrade.
    Last edited by gbadude; 06-09-09 at 12:22 PM.
    06-09-09 12:16 PM
    You all are missing the point. As everyone knows they added functionality that was not there previously. Whether its nothing new to smartphones is irrelavent it's "new" to the iPhone and that's all that matters.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-09-09 12:49 PM

I see what you mean...
    06-09-09 12:52 PM
    Twice the memory?
    Faster processor?
    Autofocus, selectable focus camera w/ great mp?
    Digital compass?

Sounds like there's a bit more than just software there.
    06-09-09 01:15 PM
    S stands for Speshul.. cause it is.
    06-09-09 01:23 PM
    And I'd hardly say that the iPhone hasn't been on the same operational level as other smartphones.
    Evidently, your operational needs are different than mine.
    06-09-09 01:45 PM
    The iPhone is just that much better to buy for people that do notalreadyhave one. People with an iPhone 3G are simply whining that Apple and AT&T are catering to their current customers, but instead to potential new ones.

The update is good for people that already have the phone, but with the iPhone possibly going to other carries people should adopt the wait and see approach as far as buying the new iPhone 3GS. Plus theirs also the Palm Pre. Both operating systems seem to be real stable.
    06-09-09 02:04 PM
    Maybe APPL has done all they can do.
    This is the phone everyone is trying to beat. Everyone/everything peaks.
    06-09-09 02:20 PM
    I don't see why people want to change the extiroir of the iphone, it's fab, and the best looking phone out there.i recently canceled my storm 9500 contract bcoz i felt i was a beta tester for the storm 2. Then i heard about the iphone 3gs which i am getting on the 1st of august
    06-09-09 02:42 PM
84 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD