84 1234
tools
    Online too

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

06-08-09 04:14 PM
    I am sorry but after all the announcements made and the "upgrades", I am at a loss. I was completely unimpressed today. Not worth upgrading IMO. Thoughts?

How do you figure, what did you expect? it to churn straw into gold?

It's a worthy upgrade, and I'll be getting one for sure.

EDIT: This is more of an upgrade than what RIM has been releasing for it's line of Blackberrys that's for SURE.. Pfft...
    Last edited by sniffs; 06-08-09 at 04:23 PM.
    06-08-09 04:19 PM
    My goodness! People will NEVER be happy in this world.

Its definitely a nice upgrade!

You don't have to buy the new iPhone if you don't like it. Simple as that.
    06-08-09 04:23 PM
    So all the 3G accessories will work with the 3GS? The body is EXACTLY the same?
    06-08-09 04:29 PM
    the iPhone blog site seems to have crashed....
    06-08-09 04:39 PM
    its back, but missing lots of stuff...
    06-08-09 04:42 PM
    3.0 features are overhyped
    Especially considering that most of the 3.0 features should have been included in the 1.0 release.
    06-08-09 04:53 PM
    Do people really need to go around complaining about people not being satisfied with the changes?

This is a discussion on that topic, not a "if you don't like it don't buy it" thread...
    06-08-09 05:03 PM
    How long after the Blackberry Curve 8310, which has a camera, was released did it allow for video recording? Try a long time.. It didn't get it enabled until 4.5 was released, but nobody remembers that one.. That should of been released version 1.0 also then right?

And while we're on the bandwagon of "devices that got a worthy upgrade way after it was initially released", let's talk about HTML email..can RIM get that right YET? Negative.. not even with a full touchscreen device.

There's a reason other than "they chose not to"..
    Last edited by sniffs; 06-08-09 at 05:08 PM.
    06-08-09 05:05 PM
    Do people really need to go around complaining about people not being satisfied with the changes?
    Yes.

Back to the topic at hand, I wonder why AT&T is lagging on the new stuff in the 3Gs/OS 3.0? According to mobileburn neither tethering nor MMS will be immediately available on AT&T. They say that MMS will come later in the summer, but that AT&T is suspiciously absent from the tethering carrier list.

Think AT&T is afraid their network will go belly-up when all the iPhone users start tethering and MMSing, and want some time to finish upgrades and whatnot before they turn those features on?
    06-08-09 05:07 PM
    The iPhone doesn't compress data like the Blackberry and other cell phones do.. what you see is what you get.

It's well known that the iPhone is a huge BW hog.. open the flood gates to MMS AND tethering and AT&T's network will go to worse sh!t than it already is.
    06-08-09 05:10 PM
    That should of been released version 1.0 also then right?
    Hey, I'm not being an BlackBerry fanboi, nor am I an Apple hater. I happen to like my iPhone -- the form factor and the OS are hot, but for me I can't deal with the on-screen keyboard.

That said, come on... MMS? Yeah, MMS should have been built in to the 1.0 release. So should have copy/paste and a system-wide landscape keyboard. Those are *basic* features, especially MMS.
    06-08-09 05:11 PM
    I dunno, I think being able to track your phone via GPS is cool...as long as it's not like the app for Blackberries which drains your battery like crazy. I also like how you can remotely back up and wipe your phone in the event it is lost. And the ability to rent movies on it is pretty slick.

Not impressive or breakthrough or anything but Apple was smart and kept prices reasonable (same as current 3G prices) while lowering 3G prices.

Apple was also smart and is releasing the phone this month...how convenient most people who picked up an iPhone the day it was released will have the 3Gs the day their contracts expire.
    06-08-09 05:19 PM
    While I do agree that MMS should of been released earlier, there's got to be reasons.

Think about Apple this way for just a second.. They know they are second place in alot of aspects, in cell phones and in computer's sold.. (or in their case, very low on the totem pole).

If you've ever seen candid interviews/videos with Steve Jobs, he absolutely hates shoddy programming, he hates frustration..He hates 3rd rate programming and will do everything in his power to make sure his experience is second to none and that experience gets pushed to the end user (us.).. so with that said, I believe truely that the reasoning behind leaving out MMS was a request from AT&T at first. And I bet you it's because of bandwidth issues.

I'm not an Apple, Microsoft, RIM, or any other fanboi..I believe companies are out to bend the consumer over and take their money.. I just believe Apple likes to get to the end result with a little bit of style.
    06-08-09 05:20 PM
    I think everyone needs to sit back and realize...

There isn't much you can change on a big glass screen.

Besides maybe a better camera... what else can you expect?

The beauty of the iPhone... Is that It can be COMPLETELY reinvented with a single OS upgrade.

Which is what we're seeing here.

Cut/Copy/Paste/MMS/Landscape Keyboard/Video Editing... etc...

Come on now.

To quote Marilyn Manson:

"You can't see the forest for it's tree's"
    06-08-09 05:23 PM
    I believe truely that the reasoning behind leaving out MMS was a request from AT&T at first. And I bet you it's because of bandwidth issues.
    Ok, I'll give you that. I wonder, then, why they're releasing it now for other carriers? Couldn't they have done that all along? I doubt that if MMS was ready AT&T would have had the sand to convince Apple to withhold release for ALL carriers.

It's all conjecture at this point. I'm glad it's (MMS) finally released, even if it is to everyone except the carrier I'm on.
    06-08-09 05:29 PM
    I wonder... will a jailbroken iPhone be able to MMS like it's intended to?
    06-08-09 05:32 PM
    Well, at first I think the iPhone camera was taking huge uncompressed pictures, so each MMS would of been like 2-4 megabytes..

I can't confirm what size they are taking now, but I remember reading an article about the picture size and people were attributing it to that.. It does make some semblence of sense I guess.

Not sure about the other carriers..maybe they followed suit also because of ATT? We might never know.. =/

EDIT: Not sure if they were being compressed before, but they are now.. I just looked at 1600x1200 on average, the filesize is about 300-400KB
    Last edited by sniffs; 06-08-09 at 05:38 PM.
    06-08-09 05:35 PM
    I just got an email from Apple about this phone. it said the price was $499/599/699 for the 8/16/32 gb phones WITH a 2 year contract. Tell me that's wrong! They couldn't really be serious about those prices.
    EDIT: No, the website says it's $199/$299 for 16gb/32gb with contract. That's better. The email I got was wrong. The list of new features is pretty boring. I haven't used my video camera twice on the 8900 and I haven't used voice dialing since my Moto StarTac. Adding that stuff is like adding Pacman games, kind of retro IMO. How 'bout something NEW?
    Last edited by thebignewt; 06-08-09 at 07:43 PM.
    06-08-09 07:26 PM
    Will the new revisions allow multi-tasking with apps? (can you run more than one at a time?)

If not who cares about what has been updated... Only reason I went BB instead of Apple. If I'm listening to music or online I want to be able to receive txts and messages....
    you can get txts and messages while your listening to music actually you can do almost anything on your phone while the music is playing ... dont knock it before you try it.
    06-08-09 07:37 PM
    Ya, todays annoucement made me love my Bold even more... So sad Apple.

ill second that ! i was gonna jumpo ship to the new iphone cause i used to have a 3g then went to the bold. but the rumors were getting me interested in iphone again. WWDC ruined that ! hahaha. screw iphone. i love my bold even more and i STILL can say that iphones dont have MMS !!! yes !
    06-08-09 07:48 PM
    Will the ipod touch have a different pricing or be a new model?
    I beleive neither. I think 3.0 will be the "revision"
    06-08-09 08:08 PM
    Let me throw in my 2 cents....

1st: To people who don't have an iPhone or have never used one this upgrade looks great.

2nd: To those who have an iPhone 2g or 3g this upgrade looks somewhat "mehh" at best.

To me since I have an iPhone 3g it's a letdown due to the fact that nothing is really necessary to make me want to pay $499 (I'm not eligible for an upgrade so that would be my price for the 32gb) just to get video, landscape typing and MMS. I mean look my iPhone is jailbroken so video I've been had so only thing I would be jumping for is quality. Landscape not worthy of the jump and mms is not available from the start along with tethering. Okay the camera is better but it still lacks behind certain phones (8900 n97) and faster web speed I mean with at&t I doubt it.

If people want better battery life turn the 3g off unless you surfing the Internet that's what I do but other than that is like I said "mehh". Will I upgrade? No because my jailbroken phone is pretty much like the 3.0 update. Some will be happy and some will be sad and I'm in the group of sad sacks. Oh and for the people looking for a different design that would be ******** because that means all the accesories and such that people have will be useless and would have to wait until try make stuff for the new design so why do that again I mean they did that last year and it pissed people off buying the same crap over again. Just a bag of hurt.
    06-08-09 08:31 PM
    #1 is kind of subjective... OS3 has some nice fixes, but I could care less about the camera improvements since there's still no flash (which makes zero sense to me)...

Even if the hardware specs end up being insanely better, will they risk segmenting the app market? If games/apps are developed to run based on the new hardware specs, they very likely won't run on the old specs... One of the largest benefits to the iphone has been developing an app = runs on all iPhones.
    06-08-09 09:59 PM
    The iPhone doesn't compress data like the Blackberry and other cell phones do.. what you see is what you get.

It's well known that the iPhone is a huge BW hog.. open the flood gates to MMS AND tethering and AT&T's network will go to worse sh!t than it already is.
    So are you saying that even though Apple states that 3.0 is going to have MMS, ATT is going to make you wait more for MMS? I am looking into the iphone, and I have been reading as much as possible. Sorry if this is a newb question.
    06-08-09 10:28 PM
84 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD