So I've been reading about the 3gs having heat issues and the white color 3gs has discoloring issues due to the heat that it produceses. Anyone here have these type of issues or heard more about this issue?
    07-01-09 03:57 AM
    So I've been reading about the 3gs having heat issues and the white color 3gs has discoloring issues due to the heat that it produceses. Anyone here have these type of issues or heard more about this issue?

you can find many pictures on the internet of this issue..

however I believe its more of a cosmetic issue to be honest.. the white and black model are the same hardware there for I am sure there is plenty of black models out there that are heating to the same temp as the white iPhone..

so with that being said I have no clue whats causing it but it doesn't seem to be device destroying?
    07-01-09 05:39 AM
    I think this might be a few isolated hardware issues, every assembly line produces a dud or two, plus Apple has been quick to replace these phones. I haven't noticed any unusually high temperatures with my iPhone and I use it constantly.
    Last edited by armedtank; 07-01-09 at 09:49 AM.
    07-01-09 09:46 AM
    My 3GS is still white, and I haven't had any overheating issues. Hopfully all stays well.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-01-09 10:28 AM
    Yeah I'm a little reticent to buy a white one for this reason. Though I think Apple will exchange these phones no questions asked.
    07-01-09 10:45 AM
    Yeah I'm a little reticent to buy a white one for this reason. Though I think Apple will exchange these phones no questions asked.
    Exactly. You can just buy it and if this happens Apple will replace it on the spot.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-01-09 11:01 AM
    It will be interesting to see how this pans out in the long term. Excessive heat is really bad on battery life.
    07-01-09 11:05 AM
    Here's an article on from Fox News that talks about the heat issue for the 3GS New iPhones May Be Prone to Overheating - Science News | Science & Technology | Technology News - FOXNews.com... I especially enjoyed the comment about not using the GPS tracking while driving on a hot day, or listening to music while at the beach.

An apple spokesman said: "It works great and doesn't have a problem with heat... as long as you don't use any of the useful applications"

In all seriousness, I hope they have a good handle on this because I don't want to be providing tech support to my numerous friends and family that bought a 3GS.
    07-01-09 02:16 PM
    No overheating on mine. Maybe the person with discoloration left his/hers in the sun to cook
    07-01-09 05:07 PM
    It seems more and more of these incidents are popping up every day. I wouldn't call heating up enough to discolour the plastic a cosmetic issue and especially not if it's happening in your first few weeks of use. lol It's not just going to heat up and then stop heating up. It is probably worse on the black version because you can't notice it. Let's just hope it gets sorted out soon
    07-02-09 10:27 AM
    Apple had this issue before with a batch of MacBooks too!
    07-02-09 01:44 PM
    I have a black one but it really has never gotten alarmingly hot. I read its a battery issue that some batteries may be defective from one of the suppliers. It seems they source the batteries from a couple different suppliers hence the reason some heat up and some don't. Like anything else a battery is just one component of the phone and you are going to find a few defective ones per 1000s produced. Apple is great with warranty issues just bring it to the Apple store and they will give you a new one.
    Last edited by Bettermost; 07-02-09 at 03:57 PM.
    07-02-09 03:44 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD