According to apple.com, the iPhone 3G supports UTMS and HSDPA..

I am not sure this is entirely true. I have a Motorola Q9h which for SURE supports HSDPA.. I put my sim chip inside and I can run network tests and see 300KB a sec to almost 400KB a sec downloads.

I take the sim chip out and put it in the supposed HSDPA capable iPhone 3G, and not ONCE do I ever hit a download over 150KB.. Either HSDPA is turned off, this device doesn't support it, or Apple is flat out lying.

I'm in Irvine, CA where all the carriers bring their A game and saturate the whole area with cell coverage.. Anyone else able to get above 1.5mbps (150KB) a sec?
    12-31-08 12:26 PM
    AT&T's network for 3G is terrible overall. Fastest DL I have EVER seen was 2mb/sec. Doesnt matter the device, doesnt matter if its a phone/aircard, thats the fastest I have seen for a REAL device. (the ericsson test devices dont count as they are not in production)
    12-31-08 12:28 PM
    I do know that Apple limits how fast 3G is (no 7.2 mbps for you!) but it does have HSDPA.
    12-31-08 07:06 PM
    Both have the capability of 3.6 mbps. I assume the iPhone 3g is limited to reduce the strain on the network due to the browser downloading/uploading more even on the same sites as other devices...

You are comparing a Bentley to a Supra. The iPhone is capable of doing it, but the "ride" meaning browsing experience is a million dollars better. I'd rather get there in style.

01-01-09 11:36 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD