OMG! AMAZING! The iPhone has literally killed the Palm Pre! WOW! The Pre sold between 50-100K during their launch weekend.

Apple announced today that the company has sold over 1 million iPhone 3G S models over this past weekend. The press release notably includes a quote from Steve Jobs:

"Customers are voting and the iPhone is winning," said Steve Jobs, Apple's CEO. "With over 50,000 applications available from Apple's revolutionary App Store, iPhone momentum is stronger than ever."
    The sales figures match those of last year's iPhone 3G launch weekend sales numbers. Apple also reports that six million customers have downloaded the new iPhone 3.0 software which works on the existing 40 million iPhone and iPod touch models.
    06-22-09 09:21 AM
    More would have sold but stores sold out everywhere. I could not even get my wife one this past weekend in store.
    06-22-09 09:24 AM
    Apple Sells Over One Million iPhone 3GS Models

iPhone 3.0 Software Downloads Reach Six Million

CUPERTINO, California—June 22, 2009—Apple� today announced that it has sold over one million iPhone™ 3GS models through Sunday, June 21, the third day after its launch. In addition, six million customers have downloaded the new iPhone 3.0 software in the first five days since its release.

“Customers are voting and the iPhone is winning,” said Steve Jobs, Apple’s CEO. “With over 50,000 applications available from Apple’s revolutionary App Store, iPhone momentum is stronger than ever.”

The new iPhone 3GS is the fastest, most powerful iPhone yet, packed with incredible new features including improved speed and performance—up to twice as fast as iPhone 3G—with longer battery life, a high-quality 3 megapixel autofocus camera, easy to use video recording and hands free voice control. iPhone 3GS includes the new iPhone OS 3.0, the world’s most advanced mobile operating system with over 100 new features such as Cut, Copy and Paste, MMS*, Spotlight™ Search, landscape keyboard and more. iPhone 3GS customers get access to more than 50,000 applications from Apple’s revolutionary App Store, the largest application store in the world where customers have already downloaded over one billion apps. iPhone 3GS offers twice the capacity for the same price with a 16GB model for just $199 and a new 32GB model for just $299.** And iPhone 3G is available at the breakthrough price of just $99 for the 8GB model—a huge milestone for the high end smartphone market.

*MMS messaging is available only on iPhone 3G or iPhone 3GS; fees may apply. MMS may not be available in all areas. MMS support from AT&T will be available in late summer.

**Qualified customers only. Requires a new two year AT&T rate plan, sold separately.

Apple ignited the personal computer revolution in the 1970s with the Apple II and reinvented the personal computer in the 1980s with the Macintosh. Today, Apple continues to lead the industry in innovation with its award-winning computers, OS X operating system and iLife and professional applications. Apple is also spearheading the digital media revolution with its iPod portable music and video players and iTunes online store, and has entered the mobile phone market with its revolutionary iPhone.

Press Contacts:
    Natalie Kerris
    Apple
    [email protected]
    (408) 974-6877
    Steve Dowling
    Apple
    [email protected]
    (408) 974-1896
    WOW
    Last edited by Entertainment72; 06-22-09 at 09:26 AM.
    06-22-09 09:24 AM
    This is unbelievable because it was only available in 8 countries, compared to 21 last year when the 3G was released.
    06-22-09 09:25 AM
    Lol. They will pass RIM very soon at this rate. Here's to all the haters!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-22-09 01:15 PM

not when over 50% of the sales were old iphone owners, I am not saying they wont pass RIM in the future, but this is in NO way shape or form NEW iphone customers, as alot of them were upgrades...12% of blackberry owners went to a iphone and got a 3gs according to a poll I saw.
    06-22-09 02:24 PM
    not when over 50% of the sales were old iphone owners, I am not saying they wont pass RIM in the future, but this is in NO way shape or form NEW iphone customers, as alot of them were upgrades...12% of blackberry owners went to a iphone and got a 3gs according to a poll I saw.
    Yea I didn't mean they would pass them now. But looking at the numbers, Apple keeps getting closer and RIM isn't increasing their lead by more than Apple is gaining. Only time will tell. Both are great companies.

06-22-09 02:38 PM
    OMG! AMAZING! The iPhone has literally killed the Palm Pre! WOW! The Pre sold between 50-100K during their launch weekend.
    You're comparing an already established OS and phone that is on its 3.0 software, to a brand new phone, and a brand new OS at 1.0. Apples and oranges man. Compare the pre's launch to the first launch of the 2g iphone.
    06-22-09 05:14 PM
    1 million phones, I'm not impressed with that. I expected a lot more what with all the advertising that they do. The Palm Pre is on Sprint. That's lol Apples and Oranges. And what exactly does the new OS do for my Touch anyway? Is there any good reason to mess with that or if it ain't broke don't fix it?
    06-22-09 05:42 PM
    OMG! F-cking AMAZING! The iPhone has literally killed the Palm Pre! WOW! The Pre sold between 50-100K during their launch weekend.

i don't think it dominated the pre as much as you think..

now while I agree the iPhone sales are amazing..

keep in mind that sprint has almost half the user base as at&t has..

with that being said the pre selling 500 thousand to way less people.. vs the iPhone selling 1 million to almost double the amount of people..

statistically the iPhone actually would lose... in the first portion of sales here..

keep in mind the total sales of the iPhone ever are incredible and I take nothing away from that..

but 1 million units sold for the "new" model on one of the most anticipated phones ever

is kind of not as good as it should have been with that big of a customer base..

sadly blackberry's don't get that many sales that quick usually on any network..

but still I wouldn't call it for sinking the pre..
    06-22-09 07:39 PM
    You're comparing an already established OS and phone that is on its 3.0 software, to a brand new phone, and a brand new OS at 1.0. Apples and oranges man. Compare the pre's launch to the first launch of the 2g iphone.
    iPhone would still win then.

First Generation iPhone sold around 146,000 first weekend, which is still more than the Pre. What's another excuse? Don't give me that, "Palm isn't an established company, bullcrap."

The opening weekend Palm Pre inventory was too low to begin with—either because of manufacturing constraints, Palm’s own financial constraints, or by design. It’s always good PR to be able to say you sold out. But if Palm seriously wants to go up against the iPhone it is going to have to do a lot better. When the first-generation iPhone launched two years ago, in comparison, Apple sold 146,000 units its first weekend. By the time Apple came out with its second iPhone 3G last year, it sold one million units the first weekend.
    You Call 50,000 Palm Pres Sold A Success? Investors Don’t Think So.
    Last edited by nfl46; 06-22-09 at 07:58 PM.
    06-22-09 07:52 PM

Yeah, its pretty obvious they will, in due time.
    06-22-09 07:54 PM
    i don't think it dominated the pre as much as you think..

now while I agree the iPhone sales are amazing..

keep in mind that sprint has almost half the user base as at&t has..

with that being said the pre selling 500 thousand to way less people.. vs the iPhone selling 1 million to almost double the amount of people..

statistically the iPhone actually would lose... in the first portion of sales here..

keep in mind the total sales of the iPhone ever are incredible and I take nothing away from that..

but 1 million units sold for the "new" model on one of the most anticipated phones ever

is kind of not as good as it should have been with that big of a customer base..

sadly blackberry's don't get that many sales that quick usually on any network..

but still I wouldn't call it for sinking the pre..
    When did the Pre sell 500,000? I don't ever remember them being that high.

You Call 50,000 Palm Pres Sold A Success? Investors Don’t Think So.
    06-22-09 07:54 PM
    iPhone would still win then.

First Generation iPhone sold around 146,000 first weekend, which is still more than the Pre. What's another excuse? Don't give me that, "Palm isn't an established company, bullcrap."

You Call 50,000 Palm Pres Sold A Success? Investors Don�t Think So.
    So a company the size of Palm, sells 100,000 units in one weekend. Apple a much larger company sells 146,000 on a much larger user base. The Pre was hardly a failure. Plus it's not Pre vs Iphone, its WebOS vs OSX and after having both phones, WebOS has the upper hand. The Pre is just the first of many WebOS phones.
    06-22-09 11:06 PM
    I still couldn't get one for my wife so I went into a Att store and ordered her a 32BG white 3Gs
    06-22-09 11:12 PM
    When did the Pre sell 500,000? I don't ever remember them being that high.

You Call 50,000 Palm Pres Sold A Success? Investors Don�t Think So.

my bad I read the article wrong.. doesn't matter though its still the same concept.. they say it was probably over 100k the first weekend still to much much less subscribers..

so either way you flip it..

that pre on at&t with enough stock would have sold a ton more or even on verizon.
    06-22-09 11:28 PM
    Unfortunately for you, Apple still outsold the Pre even when it was a 600 dollar phone and only available in the US.
    06-23-09 09:24 AM
    So a company the size of Palm, sells 100,000 units in one weekend. Apple a much larger company sells 146,000 on a much larger user base. The Pre was hardly a failure. Plus it's not Pre vs Iphone, its WebOS vs OSX and after having both phones, WebOS has the upper hand. The Pre is just the first of many WebOS phones.
    Right and the iphone OS has sold over 40 million units, meanwhile we don't know how many for webOS since Palm won't release their figures and people are having to guess.
    06-23-09 09:26 AM
    Right and the iphone OS has sold over 40 million units, meanwhile we don't know how many for webOS since Palm won't release their figures and people are having to guess.
    There might be a reason for this... lol. They really didn't sell as much as everyone thinks. I was reading an article where they said that the "selling out" part was to put $$$ signs in the investors eyes, but I hear they aren't buying it. Palms needs to more $$$.
    06-23-09 09:44 AM
    Unfortunately for you, Apple still outsold the Pre even when it was a 600 dollar phone and only available in the US.
    lmao! Good one. I forgot the iPhone was REALLY expensive when it first came out, and it STILL outsold the Pre! LOL! Now, thats really funny.

Palm and Sprint are meant for each other...two companies thats slowly falling apart.
    06-23-09 03:19 PM
    There might be a reason for this... lol. They really didn't sell as much as everyone thinks. I was reading an article where they said that the "selling out" part was to put $$$ signs in the investors eyes, but I hear they aren't buying it. Palms needs to more $$$.
    I think this also!
    06-23-09 03:19 PM
    So why do you guys want Palm, an american company to go out of business again? Do you not like competition against you're beloved iphone? Or is it something else? Did you give a standing ovation when GM announced their bankruptcy? Just wondering.
    06-23-09 03:53 PM
    So why do you guys want Palm, an american company to go out of business again? Do you not like competition against you're beloved iphone? Or is it something else? Did you give a standing ovation when GM announced their bankruptcy? Just wondering.
    I don't want them to go out of business. I'm simply saying, they cannot compete with the Apple. Point blank. Palm had the same opportunities as Apple to make their products a success. Thats why I don't feel bad for them. Everyone is giving an equal chance to be the best at what they do.
    06-23-09 04:14 PM
    I don't want them to go out of business. I'm simply saying, they cannot compete with the Apple. Point blank. Palm had the same opportunities as Apple to make their products a success. Thats why I don't feel bad for them. Everyone is giving an equal chance to be the best at what they do.
    Who's saying it wasn't a success? Apple fanboys, ok, but who else? What other phone this year has sold 100,000 on opening weekend? Palm, Apple, anyone else?
    06-23-09 04:30 PM
    Did you give a standing ovation when GM announced their bankruptcy? Just wondering.
    Nope. I knew it was coming. Paying more for less is what caused this. I drive a honda anyways. Lets see a chevy hit 300k miles and still run smooth like a japanese engine will. Hopefully everything works out though.
    Last edited by avt123; 06-23-09 at 05:12 PM.
    06-23-09 05:09 PM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD