Hi there,

Just purchased a used iphone 3G. I know the phone worked for a fact. It was a friend of mines. The phone is locked to the rogers network, I thought it would be easy to set up since I use my blackberry 8900 with rogers as well,

I inserted my sim card and it says "insert valid sim or sim unlock....". My sim card works perfectly fine in my blackberry and as i far as i know it has no lock on it...

I tried to plug it into to itunes to do a restore but it says i need a valid sim card. I've tried other peoples rogers sim cards but the phone keeps saying insert valid sim or sim unlock...

Any help would be much appreciated. I would like to try out the iphone and keep it as a spare, but I dont know how to get around this.

Rogers tech support is stumped as well.

Please help!!

Titan
    02-24-10 06:36 PM
    Just a guess here, but try going into a Rodgers store and see if they can set it up for you with a new sim. Not sure if that will work but hey, it's worth a try.
    02-24-10 07:23 PM
    That is really weird. I have never heard that happen to someone that is on the same carrier. That has to be an issue with that particular phone and not the sim card.
    02-24-10 08:52 PM
    Yeah try getting a different sim. That's strange.
    02-25-10 06:53 AM
    brought the phone in, figured out that one of pins that reads the sim card was broken off. whoever pulled out the sim card before broke one of the pins. does anybody know how much it would approximately cost to get the sim slot fixed. its out of warranty...

hopefully its not too expensive, but the guy said its attached to the motherboard which could be costly, if you have know anything about repair, let me know,

thanks for the earlier ideas.

take care,

titan
    02-25-10 09:18 PM
    No idea, i am sure that it is more expnsive than getting a new phone under contract and i am thinking that it could be more expensive fixing that device that getting another one on ebay. Do your hw and see what is the most inexpensive solution. Can you return the phone to the seller?
    02-26-10 07:48 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD