Hey everyone!

I am wondering what everyone else thinks... should i get the Blackberry Pearl 8130 or iPhone 3G?! What features does one have over the other? Also, does anyone know if the touch screen keypad on the iPhone is any good?

but the main thing is .. i will be using the phone for text messaging and calling! thats all! Maybe going on the internet a few times to download stuff but thats all!

THANKS
    Last edited by matt.thibeault; 07-27-08 at 09:12 PM.
    07-27-08 08:12 PM
    The iphone has horrendous battery life with Activesync on. Also imo touch screens are much slower in navigation/typing. But you do have a trial on ATT, try the iphone, if you don't like it exchange for BB (or vice versa).

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-27-08 08:15 PM
    I live in Canada and im on a bell plan, and the iPhone is only sold at rogers.. so i would have to buy it there then get it put on my bell plan... if that works!?
    07-27-08 08:18 PM
    A post from another topic.
    Zambi is a ****ing *****.

The iPHONE is a sweet device. Very interactive and very sleek and sexy. The only reason I bought the 8120 is because I didn't have to get on a contract and I didn't have to pay that much money for stellar service. I'm completely unlimited on my Blackberry for only $90.00 a month. Guess how much that would cost me on the iPHONE? Almost twice as much.

Although I would LOVE to have the iPHONE, I'm happy with my Blackberry. I like it because it's smaller too. I don't feel comfortable carrying a ******** brick in my pocket.
    07-27-08 08:31 PM
    what keyboard would be better? the SureType or Touch Screen?
    07-27-08 08:55 PM
    Hey matt.. Rogers (GSM) phones do not work on Bell (CDMA) so unless you are willing to switch over to Rogers, I guess you have limited choices.
    07-27-08 09:35 PM
    you would hafta switch to Rogers like someone else noted since ur up in Canada...someone very close to me switched out of her pearl and got an Iphone and she couldn't be happier right now at this point. Id definitely take an iPhone over a pearl anyday of the week...now if it was a Bold or a Thunder vs an iPhone, id hafta stick with the BB honestly. If your not willing to switch carriers do yourself a a favor and save yourself a ton of money by getting the pearl or even better yet, step up to a curve if your gonna be doing a lot of texting
    07-27-08 10:34 PM
    I live in Canada and im on a bell plan, and the iPhone is only sold at rogers.. so i would have to buy it there then get it put on my bell plan... if that works!?
    There's your answer - unless you are wanting to walk away from Bell altogether you will get a Pearl. GSM is a totally different technology than Bell's CDMA, so you can't bring a Rogers phone to Bell.

That said, I had a Pearl with Bell before my Curve, and loved it. So it would be an excellent choice.

I will also say that the only thing keeping me from an iPhone is it's Rogers. So I will stay with my iPod Touch, since I have had it since it came out and it is doing me well.
    07-28-08 12:48 AM
    The choice between a pearl and the iPhone would definitely be a tough one for me. Right now, I'm leaning a little bit toward the pearl. Now if we were talking about a choice between the iPhone and the curve then hey, that's an easy choice... Curve all the way baby!

07-28-08 01:05 AM
    Although I would LOVE to have the iPHONE, I'm happy with my Blackberry. I like it because it's smaller too. I don't feel comfortable carrying a ******** brick in my pocket.

I have to disagree on the part about the iPhone feeling like a brick. It's been the easiest phone to carry around for me. It fits in the Upper right front pocket of my jeans.
    07-28-08 01:12 AM
    You pretty much have your decision made if you are not willing to drop Bell for Rogers. Hopefully the rumors are true and there will be GSM on the CDMA carriers so they can rock the iPhone as well.

If you are willing to switch, then you would have to see what you want the phone for. You stated phone and text message. A lot on these forums will say Curve/Pearl, but for me its the iPhone. I am faster than any device for that matter in typing. If you are going to use the speaker (in an area that isn't quiet) a lot, then Pearl is starting to look a little better. If you like using Bluetooths or the awesome headsets that come with the phone, the iPhone is solid in that area.
    07-28-08 07:10 AM
    what keyboard would be better? the SureType or Touch Screen?
    SureType. I type super fast.
    07-28-08 09:25 AM
    get the pearl in the long run it makes you the winner!
    07-28-08 09:45 AM
    just played with my brother inlaws iphone it's havey and when i tried to text i had to tap the screen a few times just to get a letter to come up. compared to my pearl 8130 i would stick to my BB it fits me more and it can do just about anything an iphone can do.
    07-28-08 09:50 AM
    I'd opt for the curve. Full qwerty keyboard. Plus easy battery pull and replace. BB messenger is a great way to chat with othe BB friends. Easy to change micro SD card.

Good luck on your choice.
    =8?)

07-28-08 10:07 AM
    Blackberry Pearl vs Apple iPhone

Apple vs Bannana

Two different beasts lol

Both have keyboards that take time to learn-

Blackberry Pearl has a small screen- but smaller form factor

Apple iPhone has a larger screen- but of course is larger than the Pearl

16gb of internal memory vs Using Micro SD cards

Kick @$$ media player vs. Having to download a better one

3g vs Edge

Safari vs RIM Standard Browser

Blackberry Pearl has push e-mail, Apple iPhone has no push unless you purchase ME

Blackberry's have better phone quality

iPhones are more user friendly

iPhones update easier

The list goes on and on...

But honestly-

They're two different animals- you can't compare the two!

07-28-08 11:48 AM
    Blackberry Pearl vs Apple iPhone

Apple vs Bannana

Two different beasts lol

Both have keyboards that take time to learn-

Blackberry Pearl has a small screen- but smaller form factor

Apple iPhone has a larger screen- but of course is larger than the Pearl

16gb of internal memory vs Using Micro SD cards

Kick @$$ media player vs. Having to download a better one

3g vs Edge

Safari vs RIM Standard Browser

Blackberry Pearl has push e-mail, Apple iPhone has no push unless you purchase ME or have Yahoo! mail

Blackberry's have better phone quality

iPhones are more user friendly

iPhones update easier

The list goes on and on...

But honestly-

They're two different animals- you can't compare the two!

07-28-08 11:39 PM
    get the pearl in the long run it makes you the winner!
    I'm glad you explained the reasons why he wouldn't be a loser in the long run. Also this means picking the iPhone would make him a winner in the 'short run' ????
    07-28-08 11:40 PM
    If you're just going to text and use the phone get the pearl. The iphone is(will be) alomst a minilaptop especially in the months to come. But sure-type keyboard vs. vitrual keyboard, I would say it's about the same.

07-29-08 09:06 AM
    Hello all.. New to the forum... I had an old 7 series blackberry and I loved it.... I just recently purchased the iPhone 3g 8GB model, after seeing this post I had to reply...
    Now some might be shocked but Im debating on returning the iPhone and getting a Blackberry pearl or a VU... I really like the features of the pearl but they are not on the 3g network and does not have wiFi built in.
    The iPhone is a great phone and the interface is awesome.. it is on the big side and Im a bit nervous about breaking it...
    Since ATT does not offer the insurance plan for the iphone its like walking on egg shells with the phone... But they do offer the insurance plan on the Blackberry Pearl....
    Since owning the phone for a couple of weeks Ive only used it for Messaging and Calling.... Websurfing is cool but when Im at home or work Id rather use my Laptop or Desktop... Beats looking at pages on a 3.5" screen.
    So, whats the point in paying for a service / phone when the novelty wears off in a few months.
    30 bucks a month = 360.00 a year x2 = 720.00 for what? I dont see the Return on Investment....
    Let me know what you guys think.. Should I return it? Or keep it?
    07-29-08 09:26 AM
    Get the iPhone, you'll get the most for your money, if you have to pay the 199 or 299 price. If you have to pay 399 or 499, then get the Pearl.
    07-29-08 11:42 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD