I currently have a Verizon Wireless Blackberry Tour. My friend has an iPhone 2G from AT&T. He has a SIM card and I noticed my tour has one for verizon as well. We want to trade phones so do we just have to swamp SIM cards, or does he have to unlock either phone, do we have to do anything?? Or can we just switch. I am only wanting to know since we are two different companies..

Thanks,

--Nick
    10-14-10 08:34 PM
    The iPhone won't work on Verizon. If you get the Tour unlocked, it should work on AT&T as long as it has the right frequency bands, but I'm not sure what bands the Tour's GSM chip is compatible with.
    10-14-10 08:46 PM
    The Tour will work on EDGE on AT&T, but needs to be unlocked first. It does not have the proper frequency for 3G on AT&T.

As for why the Tour will work on both networks and the iPhone will not? Well, the Tour is a CDMA world phone, which means it's designed to work on CDMA as it's home network, but also has the GSM radio so it can work on GSM networks when traveling, since GSM is the most common network type in the world. But, it does not have 3G frequencies on GSM for North America. The iPhone is strictly a GSM phone, so it will not work on any CDMA network such as Verizon or Sprint, but if unlocked it will work on other GSM networks.
    10-14-10 09:42 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD