06-09-10 05:29 PM
    I am the last to defend Apple and their products but you did read this in the article right?

The slip up appears to be AT&T's fault at the moment, and it will complicate the company's already fraught relationship with Apple.
    06-09-10 05:39 PM
    This is Apple's issue. It's their device. They are allowing this information to be insecure on their device. To put this on AT&T solely is moronic. This information should be encrypted on the device itself. Regardless my point is valid..you don't see this stuff on RIM's devices.

The market has been asking for something like to happen for a long time by not taking privacy and security seriously.
    06-09-10 05:51 PM
    Yes, we know, RIM is perfect.
    06-09-10 05:56 PM
    RIM is a Golden God.
    06-09-10 06:24 PM
    This is Apple's issue. It's their device. They are allowing this information to be insecure on their device. To put this on AT&T solely is moronic. This information should be encrypted on the device itself. Regardless my point is valid..you don't see this stuff on RIM's devices.

The market has been asking for something like to happen for a long time by not taking privacy and security seriously.
    boy your reaching to try and point that finger at apple. We get it, you have a hard on for rim. The information wasn't stolen from ipads themselves, the information was taken from att servers. If your blaming apple for forcing customers to provide an email address to activate their device then thats one thing but saying to encrypt information when it wasn't the device that was infiltrated is as you say "moronic".
    06-09-10 07:36 PM
    boy your reaching to try and point that finger at apple. We get it, you have a hard on for rim. The information wasn't stolen from ipads themselves, the information was taken from att servers. If your blaming apple for forcing customers to provide an email address to activate their device then thats one thing but saying to encrypt information when it wasn't the device that was infiltrated is as you say "moronic".
    Of course, Apple is the easy target of RIM hardons without bothering to learn facts

Point the finger solely at ATT. But lets not forget, at least it was only 100k and they didnt sell your data off, cough, wasnt that VZW? Cough.

And lets not forget the Sprint fiasco where you could get all a user's data by knowing their # and popping it into the upgrade checker.

Real easy to point the finger as the smallest loss of private data by a carrier in comparison.

And your personal data (age, address, etc) are never TRULY safe ever really. For $50 or less you can use one of those services that do reverse # searches.
    Last edited by stuaw11; 06-09-10 at 08:05 PM.
    06-09-10 07:56 PM
    Of course, Apple is the easy target of RIM hardons without bothering to learn facts

Point the finger solely at ATT. But lets not forget, at least it was only 100k and they didnt sell your data off, cough, wasnt that VZW? Cough.

And lets not forget the Sprint fiasco where you could get all a user's data by knowing their # and popping it into the upgrade checker.

Real easy to point the finger as the smallest loss of private data by a carrier in comparison.

And your personal data (age, address, etc) are never TRULY safe ever really. For $50 or less you can use one of those services that do reverse # searches.
    LOL. I wonder how rolltide will come back against that. Only it is VZW and has nothing to do with RIM.
    06-09-10 08:07 PM
    LOL. I wonder how rolltide will come back against that. Only it is VZW and has nothing to do with RIM.
    Neither does this, it was ATT's servers they got into, not the devices themselves. Same difference basically- the carrier was the vulnerability.
    06-09-10 08:22 PM
    Yea but Apple authorizes that data to pass those servers. In one way apple should take some responsibility for this. They could very well demand stronger security from there only network in the US.

Neither does this, it was ATT's servers they got into, not the devices themselves. Same difference basically- the carrier was the vulnerability.
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-09-10 08:32 PM
    Definitely appears to be mostly an AT&T issue, but Apple shares some responsibility, even if just through association.

The thing that surprises me the most is the fact that military and govt officuals would use the iPad to begin with. If you're in those kinds of positions you should be well aware of security weaknesses of the iPhone/iPad platform and AT&T. This isn't exactly a surprise...

06-09-10 09:23 PM
    Um...they notified AT&T of the breach. AT&T closed the breach. Other than the fact that it was an Apple iPad sim card ID, THIS IS AN AT&T breach.

It could happen to anyone who is running a sim card. It was the email information ASSOCIATED TO THE SIM CARD.

Even RIM.

But keep reaching.

Oh, and Apple wants out of the exclusivity agreements, and this is one more argument they can now use.
    06-09-10 09:28 PM
    Apple talks like they want to get out of the agreeme ts, but they extended it! AT&T must be paying them a LOT if Apple is as unhappy as they indicate, but they didn't let it expire.

06-09-10 09:35 PM
    Hey, I came here to read about Rims and Apples so stop with the hardons already!!!!!
    LOL

06-09-10 09:35 PM
    RIM has an iPad to compare to, where where..
    06-09-10 10:02 PM
    RIM has an iPad to compare to, where where..
    I was thinking the same thing. You just know that RIM will throw some parts in the blender, make it a little bigger and call it the Blackberry 10000. LOL It will be some kind of tablet thing that will be ugly and use a stupid track pad instead of a touch screen. You know since no one really wants a touch screen phone.
    06-09-10 10:23 PM
    Personally you could talk all you want about RIM's tablet (1000) LOL. But the bottom line is that this never happened to RIM. And considering the years they been and around and the clients they serve I'm sure it's been attempted. I don't even know why this turned into a Hardon and RIM competition ???
    Is apple the only one to blame in this NO.... It's mostly AT&T's fault. But fact is that apple did give exclusive rights to a company that can't secure there clients info. So in that part yes Apple is to blame.
    Now about that BB tablet Hahahahaha I think Vegas was right on lol.... Did you see the prototype or something LOL

06-09-10 10:32 PM
    Half the time the last 6 months the servers have been in an outage, so NO ONE was getting their email. LOL

Seriously, I think 4chan targetted the iPad crowd, but the fact remains they could have done the same damn thing to any of the phones on the AT&T network. They wanted to show that GSM is open to security breaches, and they did exactly what they set out to do.

You could do it to BB but let's face it, no one CARES. Target iPad, the biggest thing in tech right now (well until they announced iPhone 4) and you are gonna get press. Lots of it. And if it's one thing 4chan loves it's press and attention.

I still think laying any of this on Apple is reaching. If it hadn't been the 3G iPads targetted and they broke into the WiFi models, then maybe. All this is was an attack on AT&T's SIM cards, and they broke it wide open. It was a perfect storm of people so excited to have one they put pictures on Flickr that showed their options and settings and they didn't blur out pertinent information, and 4chan managed to guess a block of SIM ID's from those pictures by testing numbers close to the ones pictured.

If anyone else is to blame it's the dumbasses who didn't photoshop out their information.
    Last edited by reeneebob; 06-10-10 at 11:48 AM.
    06-10-10 01:46 AM
    Personally you could talk all you want about RIM's tablet (1000) LOL. But the bottom line is that this never happened to RIM. And considering the years they been and around and the clients they serve I'm sure it's been attempted. I don't even know why this turned into a Hardon and RIM competition ???
    Is apple the only one to blame in this NO.... It's mostly AT&T's fault. But fact is that apple did give exclusive rights to a company that can't secure there clients info. So in that part yes Apple is to blame.
    Now about that BB tablet Hahahahaha I think Vegas was right on lol.... Did you see the prototype or something LOL

I mean I guess Apple shares some of the blame, but this could have happened to RIM the exact same way. And as for the RIM Tablet, I think I saw a pic or render on here once.
    06-10-10 01:53 AM
    Nowadays, the thing I always keep firmly in my mind is: trust no one and protect yourself by your conciousness firstly. I never put any "real" personal info into my blackberry, latop or personal device. Someone can steal your equiment and the info on it as well. Or get hacked!!!

This story is just another warning signal to keep myself awake from the modern trend: depend too much on high tech devices.

Just my 2cents

06-10-10 02:03 AM
    People are lazy consumerists who take technology for granted, and refuse to understand how it works.

Apple is about as far from open source as you can get. Forget putting any personal data on a black box device from a company known for security leaks, warranty denials, and siccing the law on everyone who points out their failures. Remember the Macbook thermal paste fiasco?

Fiasco being the perfect word, since the things were catching on fire because Apple's own technical manual directed the glopping of thermal paste onto the processors like so much cake frosting.
    06-10-10 02:11 AM

No it hasnt happened to RIM but getting SIM info off ATT's servers is NOT device independant. They probably went, as far as we know, only after the ipad data because when users activate an ipad they have to enter personal info to pay for the data plan and re-up every month. So yes, it wouldnt happen to a BB, nor iphone, nor Android, nor WebOS device because there's no personal data associated with the SIM to steal!

Thus there is a lot more personal data tied to the SIM of an ipad, but dont think for a minute getting the ICC IDS isnt possible for any other device; its just basically useless and the ipad devices had the email address attached to it for the "pre-pay data" function.

And in the end REALLY what did these hackers get? ATT stated: "AT&T was informed by a business customer on Monday of the potential exposure of their iPad ICC IDS. The only information that can be derived from the ICC IDS is the e-mail address attached to that device."

OK, so your email address? At best you might get some Spam and can block those email addresses (filter). Its not as major as the media blows it up to be. No one got your Name, address, CC info, etc. Let's keep this in perspective here.

And yes ATT is to blame, but people are quick to forget the VZW and Sprint fiascoes of the past 5-8 years or so with WAY more sensitive customer data. VZW was selling off all of your TRUE personal data to I believe marketing firms, etc and on Sprint you could get all a user's TRUE personal data (full name, address, and other vital info) by knowing their cell # and popping it into the upgrade eligibility checker.

Here at best they may have gotten your email address, and only for a small percentage of customers unlike the other carrier exploits above which were for any customer they had.
    Last edited by stuaw11; 06-10-10 at 02:49 AM.
    06-10-10 02:39 AM
    I think this was a ploy to get away from at& t they needed a reason
    06-10-10 06:12 AM
    I think it's really Apple's ploy to offer an inferior product, using AT&T as a scapegoat, because no other carrier wants to be burdened with their problematic offerings.

I mean, considering what Apple already blames on AT&T (poor battery life, battery explosion, constant dropped calls where no other 3G phones have issues, software failures, security holes in applications that Apple signed), how can this be far from the truth?
    06-10-10 01:40 PM
    I think it's really Apple's ploy to offer an inferior product, using AT&T as a scapegoat, because no other carrier wants to be burdened with their problematic offerings.

I mean, considering what Apple already blames on AT&T (poor battery life, battery explosion, constant dropped calls where no other 3G phones have issues, software failures, security holes in applications that Apple signed), how can this be far from the truth?
    The hate is strong with this one.
    06-10-10 03:05 PM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD