Translated from french

Google Translate
    02-14-12 12:41 PM
    Age 50+ people shouldn't be the ones making any decisions about technology

From abolishing existing copyright and fair use, to buying the latest Tamagotchi they heard about
    02-14-12 12:48 PM
    There are already a couple of colleges in the US with that sort of program...

Normally most of the "give kids a laptop" schemes are pretty stupid IMHO, since it rarely adds anything of real value to the learning, and is bound to be obsolete fairly soon...

In case of the iPad however, that might be a different case. The new iBooks app that Apple has launched might give an opportunity to finally save some money. Not just for schoolbooks but also for the public health system. Seriously! Bad habits and heavy school books actually lead to back problems for many teenagers.

And before this turns into a "RRAAAGGGGEEE!!! Why not a Playbook?!!" thread, there are some good reasons. 7 inches is really too small for a schoolbook replacement, and apple launched the new iBooks app, which is pretty unique in terms of opportunities for virtual textbooks.
    02-14-12 12:52 PM
    I really don't know why apple products are in schools unless they figure they will be dominate in the business world soon. Give the kids something they will be using in most jobs which would be a windows computer.
    02-14-12 01:05 PM
    That's why Quebec as the highest dropout rate for High schools in Canada.lol

Quebec
    Last edited by balding1; 02-14-12 at 01:19 PM.
    02-14-12 01:11 PM
    Does that include your brand-new CEO, who was born in 1957?
    He's not my CEO, I've only bought one Blackberry and it's a Playbook. I'm on an iPhone, and since I never got hooked into BBM I could never stand BB's restarts and technically usable browser.

Of course I would argue that a tech-CEO who came up through the ranks would have pretty good knowledge, and be pretty open to listening to even smarter people at hand. The key is that his decision making would come from the people who really do know.

At other institutions, especially like school boards, where is the decision coming from? That's my point. There's no well written plan for these devices. Like fancy computer labs splurged on a decade ago without any supporting curriculum to use them with. Flashy spending is easier than doing some real work.

The truth is the space is a greenfield, fast developing but a greenfield nonetheless. So not only are the uses for the device in flux, a lot of people don't know what they want them for (in marketing research there are a lot of people who use tablets, iPad very much included, once a week or less)

I know of a hospital that splurged leftover budget money on iPads so they didn't lose it. The only purpose for them are to act as a powerpoint viewer... and they didn't buy the necessary Apple-VGA/DVI connector to use it with a projector. The reasoning was... "well there's a lot of buzz and it's the future right?", for better or for worse it was an uninformed stab in the dark
    02-14-12 01:28 PM
    Age 50+ people shouldn't be the ones making any decisions about technology
    I'll try to be civil because I'll probably be banned or warned if I say what I truly think about this comment. But there are people here and around the web who seem to be well below the age of 50 and make such absurd comments it baffles the mind. For something so ageist to not even be flagged is beyond my comprehension.

How about this: Indians should not be making any decisions about technology.

Or maybe: Bisexuals should not be making any decisions about technology

There are titans of the industry that are beyond 50, and have a vision that far exceeds younger minds.
    02-14-12 01:37 PM
    I'll try to be civil because I'll probably be banned or warned if I say what I truly think about this comment. But there are people here and around the web who seem to be well below the age of 50 and make such absurd comments it baffles the mind. For something so ageist to not even be flagged is beyond my comprehension.

How about this: Indians should not be making any decisions about technology.

Or maybe: Bisexuals should not be making any decisions about technology

There are titans of the industry that are beyond 50, and have a vision that far exceeds younger minds.
    No tech CEO would be making decisions...

Then again...
    02-14-12 02:07 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD