I've tried 3 different apps to play .avi files on my ipad. (vlc streamer, cinexplayer, and air video)

none of these worked. VLC won't send the email i need to register my computer, cinexplayer only plays every 5th video or so, and air video just never was able to start up.

is there another, better option? i don't mind paying for apps that work, so if it costs a bit that's ok.

thanks!
    06-07-11 07:10 PM
    It sounds like you're trying to stream video, not store them on the iPad. You can try Zumocast. Stuff like Zumocast requires the proper codecs to be already installed. An avi video can be encoded in a variety of codecs like Xvid or even H.264. Avi is just a container, you need the player to be compatible with both the container and the codec the video is encoded in.
    06-07-11 08:25 PM
    yeah i understand that. and i'd rather store them on my ipad so if i go on a plane or something, i don't need to be near my laptop or have internet access.

VLC used to have this fantastic app that i have on my iphone that stores .avi and plays them, but i guess apple got mad and took it off the market so it's not available anymore.

and i understand about the codecs, but the cinexplayer picks and chooses which vids it's going to play, while they all work on my computer. i wouldn't think that each individual video is encoded differently.
    06-07-11 10:05 PM
    You could try GoodPlayer. If you have the VLC app on the iPhone, and you use the same account for your iPad, VLC Media Player should be stored locally on iTunes, in which case, you should be able to load the app to your iPad from iTunes.
    06-08-11 01:21 AM
    yeah i thought about that too. i'll see if it works. and thanks for the tip.
    06-08-11 11:25 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD