Its an interesting product. The price is competative.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-31-10 09:30 PM
    I think it'll do good not only is it good looking but it has everything the iphone has morw with the book store

Soo eveeyone familiar with the iphone will feel right at home with the ipad. Plus unlike the kindle it can listen to music and surf the web plus play games which is always good.

I think it'll be a success in its first year atleast like every apple product

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-31-10 11:34 PM
    I don't really like it, but i'm sure it will sell like hot cakes due to the fact that some people will have a good use to it+apple fan boys will practically buy anything that Apple makes.

Personally, i don't see a point in me having once since I do have an iphone and it's really all i need. If i wanted to get a tablet pc in the future, i'd still probably take the HP Slate or any other OSX/Windows/Linux running tablet pc over an iphone like os like the iPad.

The non multitasking and no flash support really kills it for me and from reading all these stuff about Steve Jobs hating Flash, i'd highly doubt any apple products will get flash support any time soon. I want a tablet pc that acts like a computer, not a giant version of the iphone. If i am forking over 500+ for a tablet pc, i want it to do everything a regular computer does.
    Last edited by Zh3nger; 01-31-10 at 11:47 PM.
    01-31-10 11:45 PM
    Right, I guess I didn't mention it but, yes I think we will get multi-tasking when os 4.0 is released in a few months. As for flash I agree with you 100%, HTML5 is the future and is far better then flash. I am a web dev student and I can't stand flash, most of my friends in the industry hate it as well and would not want it on a mobile device.
    To tangent off that for a second too, did anyone notice no push notifications were ever shown on the iPad?

Like I said I have a feeling 3.2 is only a temporary OS to start shipping with until they announce 4.0 for the iPhone and iPad. Theres NO WAY the only thing theyre going to change for the 2010-2011 line is the weekly calendar view, popup menus, and the photo gallery, and tack in ibooks. I just dont buy that as the only OS changes from 3.x. Apple KNOWS with Android and Web Os they cant stand still with their OS like that.

It just makes zero sense 3.2 is the final OS for the new iphone and ipad. There has to be a 4.0 with some new stuff that they are just holding back until the iphone launch in June to not give it away running on the ipad.
    Last edited by stuaw11; 02-01-10 at 12:19 PM.
    02-01-10 12:16 PM
    I stand by my comments earlier and most of the people here who say the want one have a specific idea of what they want to use it for: watching movies in bed, reading books, gaming, specific tasks that mainly go for the bigger screen. Because what this thing is is an iTouch with......<drumroll> a BIGGER SCREEN. And a couple hundred bucks added to the price. That's really what the iPhone was when it came out: a smartphone with a bigger screen. Nice work if you can get it, and Apple will indeed get it. More power to them. I'll be checking out the new Lenovo laptop/tablet combo. That seems like the hi-tech gizmo of the year.
    Last edited by thebignewt; 02-01-10 at 03:30 PM.
    02-01-10 03:28 PM
    Yes, you can buy one for $250.00, but I was stating that even the best, high dollar Kindle for $10.00 less than the base iPad still doesn't touch the iPad. You can also go to Walmart and buy the latest paperback for about $6.00, read it by lamplight and back it up on your bookshelf - you could even pass it on to a friend or sale it in a garage sale - no batteries required at all. But, you still have a Kindle. If I thought like you, why have a Kindle when a paperback will work just fine?
    No, I already told you that the Kindle is $250, which makes is half the price of an iPad. There's no reason to spend $490 for a Kindle because they cost $250. It's a small screen black and white book reader/downloader. You don't need "3G". a 600 page book downloads in seconds. My wife uses hers a lot (she's got a big book habit) and in less than a year I bet she's saved over $200 on the content, based on what she used to pay at Costco or wherever and Amazon prices. Also, there's a reason the Kindle is the size it is. The screen's not real big, and the device has a lot of plastic around the view area, but I bet women are big users and it's gotta fit into most handbags. And battery life is important, you don't want to haul a charger around for a 3-4 day trip. It's easy to turn off the radio and it lasts a really long time between charges (over a week). That's my take on the Kindle and how it will be affected by the iPad (not much, different markets and pricepoints entirely).
    Last edited by thebignewt; 02-01-10 at 04:30 PM.
    02-01-10 04:28 PM
    You're kidding, right? Yes, there is a BASE Kindle for $250.00. However, the BEST Kindle (see link below) is $489.00. And the BEST Kindle still doesn't touch the BASE iPad. Geez.
    02-01-10 04:56 PM
    02-01-10 04:57 PM
    You're kidding, right? Yes, there is a BASE Kindle for $250.00. However, the BEST Kindle (see link below) is $489.00. And the BEST Kindle still doesn't touch the BASE iPad. Geez.
    Dude, you don't get it. The "base" Kindle is as good the the one for $489. It just has a little bit bigger screen, which if you're reading text doestn't mean jack. It's a bookreader get it? It downloads books in 30 seconds and you just read them in black and white (the expensive one does not have color) and go page to page. Not really high tech. So it's $250 for what it is, not $489. I'm sure they'd take your money but only the stupid people pay that. So quit trying to compare it to the iPad. And you don't even know how much they'll charge for a book. I checked out the Barnes and Noble "Nook" the other day. Same package, same price. But their new books cost up to $15, compared to $10 for the Kindle. And their biggest font is not very big either. See what Apple charges for their new books on the iPad before you compare books. The price is not similar between the 2.
    Last edited by thebignewt; 02-01-10 at 10:11 PM.
    02-01-10 10:08 PM
    And the iPad does a TON more and a TOTALLY different class of product, so whats your point?

If someone was comparing the 2 gadgets, 8/9 times out of 10 theyd choose the iPad which does the same features plus a TON more, color screen, apps, more memory, itunes, games, Safari, email, etc.

And the $259 Kindle ISNT the same as the near $500 one.

-Its a 6" screen, TOTALLY different product to make a comparison with a 9.7" color screen. Little different? 3.7 inches is "little?" In that case then the iphone screen is only a "LITTLE" (less than the difference youre trying to pass off actually) smaller than the 6 inch Kindle

-Its HALF the storage memory.

-Its TOTALLY different dimension and weight device

Not even a close comparison. It might suit YOUR needs but its an apples to oranges comparison between the 2 and with the iPad. Its like comparing an old black and white Sharp Organizer that can do about 5 things to a current gen smartphone like a Nexus One.

Price point also means very little here when youre comparing to quality of what youre getting in the product. Youre paying more for the iPad and GETTING a lot more too. If cheaper was always better then there would be no market for luxury items like Mercedes, BMW, Audi, etc. everyone would just own a $15,000 base model Honda.

I also guess you havent learned that from the millions of iphones that sold out in days a $600+ only 2 years ago. If price mattered all that much the iphone, at a higher contract price than most current smartphones, wouldnt be outselling them by 10 times or more over.

I think youre the one who doesnt quite get it.
    Last edited by stuaw11; 02-01-10 at 11:29 PM.
    02-01-10 11:03 PM
    My point probably got lost in the shuffle, sorry if it did. It was raised because somebody tried to compare a $500 Kindle with a $500 iPad saying why would you consider the former when the latter does so much more, just get the cheapo iPad and go nuts. My point is that if you want to just read books and some news you spend $250 on the basic Kindle. It's excellent, stores 1500 books, downloads them in seconds and they're priced right. The $500 Kindle is mainly to handle PDF documents and charts and textbooks using b&w pix. Yeah it'll store 3500 books but hey, who really cares? So to buy the expensive one to read Gone With the Wind is like getting an iPhone to just do text messages. It's overkill. And a $500 iPad with 16gb of memory isn't going to store very much media and will only connect to WiFi. The good one is $830, and $15/month and that's what it's going to take to get the most out of the iPad, not $500. In short I was taking issue with the person who was trying to justify the iPad compared to a simple book reader like the Kindle. It's apples and oranges both it use and in price.
    02-02-10 10:47 AM
    02-02-10 06:23 PM
    My point probably got lost in the shuffle, sorry if it did. It was raised because somebody tried to compare a $500 Kindle with a $500 iPad saying why would you consider the former when the latter does so much more, just get the cheapo iPad and go nuts. My point is that if you want to just read books and some news you spend $250 on the basic Kindle. It's excellent, stores 1500 books, downloads them in seconds and they're priced right. The $500 Kindle is mainly to handle PDF documents and charts and textbooks using b&w pix. Yeah it'll store 3500 books but hey, who really cares? So to buy the expensive one to read Gone With the Wind is like getting an iPhone to just do text messages. It's overkill. And a $500 iPad with 16gb of memory isn't going to store very much media and will only connect to WiFi. The good one is $830, and $15/month and that's what it's going to take to get the most out of the iPad, not $500. In short I was taking issue with the person who was trying to justify the iPad compared to a simple book reader like the Kindle. It's apples and oranges both it use and in price.
    And again I bring the car analogy. In your opinion then everyone should drive a base model $15,000 Honda subcompact because in the end its 4 wheels that gets you from point a to B.

Thats not reality, the luxury car market is a HUGE market- Mercedes, Audi, BMW, Lexus, etc. They still get you from point A to B just the same as the $15,000 Honda in the end. But you dont get the luxury and quality of the pricier vehicle-just the 2L 150hp engine, cheap cloth seats, and a basic AM/FM+CD Player vs. V8/V10, leather heated/cooled seats, touchscreen nav/radio, etc. Same with the iPad you lose the luxury- the color almost 10" screen, apps, itunes, email, iWork, safari, etc etc. The ipad is MUCH more then a Kindle e-reader.

When there is a luxury product, there will be consumer demand for one. You may think the 6" B&W is good enough, but thats your preference, not what EVERYONE wants. Just like people will spend $20,000-100,000 extra for a car, theyll spend the $200 extra for the iPad. But its still not an even comparison between the two Kindles because theyre COMPLETELY different devices, you kind of have to compare the $459 one to the iPad to even be close to fair on size, weight, memory, screen size, etc.
    Last edited by stuaw11; 02-02-10 at 10:18 PM.
    02-02-10 10:10 PM
    and on and on and.........
    02-02-10 10:50 PM
    Yeah, I know about luxury and devices and overkill trust me. My wife just got a Moto Droid and hasn't used the browser 5 times in a month, only the Wikipedia. She only txts and some email and calls. No music, video, YouTube, multiple homescreens. She'd have loved an iPhone if it were Verizon. Uses the camera. But she loves the touchscreen thing and the look. I've downloaded her a few apps but they see almost no use (weather mainly). I get it. (She has a Kindle too, she wears that thing out and did not want the big one--it's too big). I'm done with this thread.
    Last edited by thebignewt; 02-03-10 at 11:11 AM.
    02-03-10 11:08 AM
    I'll be checking out the new Lenovo laptop/tablet combo. That seems like the hi-tech gizmo of the year.
    I saw that at CES, if I were going to get a windows base netbook that is one that I would have to check out. As it is I am not going to get any third device for at least a year as I want to see what comes out in the next little while.
    02-03-10 10:47 PM
    Waiting on hands on experience before I buy.
    02-06-10 11:03 AM
117 ... 345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD