It may be just me but I can't see Apple selling too many of the $829 models with 3G. Aside from the cheap data pricing, you can either just buy an iphone and then get the 499 dollar model Ipad, or you can literally spend only 170 dollars more and get a macbook that has 250 GB of hard drive space with a real keyboard, not to mention all the other things it can do! I think the real selling point for this product is simply the larger screen and e-book functionality, and I have a feeling that not too many people will want to pay the premium apple wants for the bookstore and the larger screen when they can just buy an iphone or ipod touch. Needless to say, I think Apple really missed up on the flash drive space for the device.
    01-27-10 10:42 PM
    Idk where youre getting your numbers from but the cheapest macbook is $1000. The cheapest iPad is 1/2 the price and the fully loaded 64gb is still almost $200 cheaper. The Ipad also has 3 hrs more battery life, 1/3 the weight and 1/2 the thickness- different type of device.

The macbook doesnt have 3G connectivity, and sure you can get a data card, but pay 2 times the data cost per month instead of $30. Do the math over a 2 year period- thats $2440 to own the macbook with 3G, and only $1549 for the iPad with 3G. Big difference. Plus the iPad data plan is prepay so theres no contract so you can add or remove data when you dont need it further reducing that price if you dont need it every month for 24 months.

The iPad is supposed to be more of a tablet/convergence device between the iphone and macbook, not a full computer.

Also a full cost unsubsidized 32gb iphone goes for near $700 from Apple. How is $829 for the 1ghz processor, 10 inch screen, and 64gb not a good price? Im sure theyll sell quite a few of these between the 6 size and connectivity options. You say this now but no one thought millions would wait in line for the iphone 2G and pay $600 with no carrier subsidy and they still sold millions of them.
    Last edited by stuaw11; 01-27-10 at 11:10 PM.
    01-27-10 11:01 PM
    Idk where youre getting your numbers from but the cheapest macbook is $1000. The cheapest iPad is 1/2 the price and the fully loaded 64gb is still almost $200 cheaper. The Ipad also has 3 hrs more battery life, 1/3 the weight and 1/2 the thickness- different type of device.

The macbook doesnt have 3G connectivity, and sure you can get a data card, but pay 2 times the data cost per month instead of $30. Do the math over a 2 year period- thats $2440 to own the macbook with 3G, and only $1549 for the iPad with 3G. Big difference. Plus the iPad data plan is prepay so theres no contract so you can add or remove data when you dont need it further reducing that price if you dont need it every month for 24 months.

The iPad is supposed to be more of a tablet/convergence device between the iphone and macbook, not a full computer.

Also a full cost unsubsidized 32gb iphone goes for near $700 from Apple. How is $829 for the 1ghz processor, 10 inch screen, and 64gb not a good price? Im sure theyll sell quite a few of these between the 6 size and connectivity options. You say this now but no one thought millions would wait in line for the iphone 2G and pay $600 with no carrier subsidy and they still sold millions of them.
    Very good points that you made in this post. I agree that the iPad is a great device and an even better value when you consider the specs on it. I am still going to wait for V2 of the iPad before I get one. That is what I have done with all of my apple products.
    01-27-10 11:25 PM
    Actually, I was waiting for something "new". Not an "upgrade" from the same concept of iPhone or iPod touch. However, the iPad is still a good device (but not for me - already own a macbook pro and ipod touch)
    01-27-10 11:59 PM
    Not getting this Apple toy BUT, at least it is good to see Apple trying to be revolutionary and innovative. More than we can say for RIM right now, right?
    What is revolutionary about this at all? Tablet computers have been out for a long time. I am sick of seeing apple release a product and act like they invented it. Ex multitouch.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-28-10 02:12 AM
    Is anyone actually going to get this? They are calling it the ipad? Whats the upgrade going to be? itampon? Come on...
    01-28-10 02:26 AM
    I think the iPad could satisfy my want for an iPhone, seeing how I like having a Blackberry. I was also in the market for a netbook for some light web browsing around my house, so this could make sense for me. Just wish there was a 8gb version that would be $399
    01-28-10 05:02 AM
    *if* the battery life were really 10 hours of use and it had flash, I would have bought this. I tried the iPhone and found it wasn't for me, but I would have bought this to put in my bag along with my trusty 9700. No flash is the dealbreaker for me.
    The choice of name is very unfortunate.
    01-28-10 06:25 AM
    *if* the battery life were really 10 hours of use and it had flash, I would have bought this. I tried the iPhone and found it wasn't for me, but I would have bought this to put in my bag along with my trusty 9700. No flash is the dealbreaker for me.
    The choice of name is very unfortunate.
    Flash would have been HUGE!
    01-28-10 08:52 AM
    I know. If it would have had Flash I think it would have been more enthusiastically received, at least for the folks here. We'll see what the general public says.
    I would have loved it. I love my iPod and I think the combination of my iPod, by 9700 and the tablet (can't bring myself to say the name) would have been ideal.
    Sadly, there is always something missing in everything, isn't there?

***edit - oh, I also would have wanted a very good case. That much glass inside my bag would have made me a tad nervous.
    Last edited by Qbnkelt; 01-28-10 at 09:22 AM.
    01-28-10 09:19 AM
    We also have to keep in mind that one of Apple's strength is development and just like the first gen iphone, this ipad will be developed even further. Perhaps the second gen will have what most people are saying it lacks just when the 3g iphone came it out.
    01-28-10 09:45 AM
    No flash and no multitask? That means this device is already outdated and it hasn't even been released yet. I think it's obvious who this is targeted for: people who want a very simple to use new gizmo that does a few things like movies and books and browsing your Facebook and is supported by a huge ad campaign. The techies will not go there.
    01-28-10 10:06 AM
    I would have loved having an even tinier device/laptop/tablet that could fit in my purse, that only weighed a pound. That would have caused me to out my notebook away. I don't think anyone thought that this would replace a laptop. As noted, it's meant to bridge the gap between the phone and a laptop, not to replace the laptop.
    I hope next year it will have Flash. If so, I see myself getting it. It would be fun, entertaining. What it's meant to be.
    methinks.
    01-28-10 10:17 AM
    I personally don't think it's worth it and you should just get a Touch, however Apple are making new things all the time so you can't complain.
    01-28-10 10:31 AM
    NO MULTITASKING ON A TABLET!?!?!?!

How is the iPad better than a netbook? The processor and graphical power are all well and good but how the **** is this useful if you can only perform one task at a time? That's not very mobile friendly.

I was looking at this device to help make me an Apple convert, but with a lack of multitasking AGAIN, I'm only left disappointed!
    01-28-10 10:58 AM
    I tend to agree with you. It's just that the display on the iPhone was so gorgeous that I would have given up multitasking, really, to have something with the gorgeous display of the iPhone and increased portability.
    Yes, I'm disappointed. The lack of Flash is what became the deal breaker for me.
    01-28-10 11:05 AM
    Am I the only one who thinks that Apple saw what the eReaders are doing to the market, went back to an old idea (the iPad was supposedly on the back burner for a while in the past few years), revamped it up a little and brought it to market to make money not with the device but with sales of books and media for it? I mean, seriously, I was really hoping the iPad would run full OSX and that would have been AWESOME, but the way it is now... it's just a large iPod Touch with 3G capabilities (if you want that ability). I dunno, seems a bit of a "bunt" rather then a "home run" from Apple this time around.

But hey, at least it looks like OS4 will bring about wallpapers for the iPhone, lol. It the majority of those features (picture control, etc.) is available to the iPod Touche and iPhone with an OS upgrade, I don't think a lot of people will see the iPad as nothing more then... just having a bigger screen.

BTW, I kinda chuckled a bit when you see the interface drag a little with clicks/double-clicks to bring up window options, etc. (Watch the Engadget video to see this.) I hope the software is still being tweeked to get rid of that or I'm going to start seeing Apple in the same light as RIM. lol
    the iPad is running iPhone OS 3.2 (according toe engadget)

This is definitely a bunt by Apple. It was a seriously wrong statement by Steve that the iPad is better than a netbook when it is missing 2 key components that netbooks currently do. Multitask and run Flash.

But your idea about making money off content does make a LOT of sense
    01-28-10 11:12 AM
    I could see getting one when one of our two laptops kicks the bucket. The only real heavy duty computing action we use one of the laptops for is Quicken once a month. Aside from that, we write an occasional paper/spreadsheet/presentation, send email, Facebook, and surf the web. So taken in that context, a 3G enabled iPad would work out pretty good for my wife and I. But as always, your mileage may vary.
    01-28-10 12:25 PM
    Looks like it could be useful for those who want to access the internet but not wanting a laptop.

And that's about it...
    01-28-10 02:20 PM
    ...or geeks like me who would like a new toy with a certain amount of functionality....
    01-28-10 02:32 PM
    I just think Apple is trying to read a new market besides those that want a laptop or iPhone. Regardless of what we have everyone doesn't have 1 or both. I think this is meant to be like a e-reader that just does so much more. So I don't look at it like an overzised iPod touch or whatever. I just consider it an e-reader that has features of the iPod which makes it a superior e-reader. I was in Barnes and Nobles today and I saw the e-reader they were advertising for 399.00. Now if I was in the market for this type of product I would be looking at the iPad because it has tons more features.

IMO they are just targeting a different audience. Of course they want everyone to buy their products but I don't think every product a company makes has to appeal to those that use other, similar products made by them. They want those that are into e-books. Because a person would use this and say "wow an iPhone must be really nice then" or "I want to try a macbook because of this". How many of us actually had a touch before an iPhone and because the touch was so good it made us go get an iPhone. Could have the same effect here. We will see.
    01-28-10 02:42 PM
    Well there is that...

I must admit I will be going to an Apple store to have a play with it...
    01-28-10 02:45 PM
    People keep saying this will replace textbooks and such, but text books for universities cost about $100 a piece and but at least I can reseall in again since I don't need to keep them forever. So how will this work? I will be able to resell my used electronic textbook to another student?
    01-28-10 03:49 PM
    I've got a Kindle and played with the Barnes and Noble "Nook". They're both $250 btw. They are black and white, no backlight units with excellent battery life and only 1.2 GB of memory. They come with a radio that downloads the books and newspapers and mags (no pix, just text). Kindle uses Sprint and you pay nothing. The screen is way smaller on the Kindle. They are just for reading text and turning pages. So the MaxiPad is a whole different deal than those, way more money and I bet the content costs more too. Battery will be less. Way more features too. But if you want books to read don't get one of those.
    01-28-10 05:19 PM

All of these would be valid points if and ONLY IF one thing was to have happened with the MaxiPad (I love this btw, lol)... if it was to have run OSX. Running the iPhone OS severely limits the abilities of the device. Bad move on Apples part I say.

Imagine how awesome it would have been with OSX on it. It would have been MUCH better then any other tablet out there, but no... right now it's basically just like all the others. (The others run Android and Apple's runs the iPhone OS... big woop!)
    01-28-10 05:51 PM
117 12345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD