01-28-10 06:18 PM
    iKarumba.
    This thing is just filled with fail.
    No Adobe flash, multi-tasking, built-in camera, GPS and nothing beyond 64 Gb Maximum for storage? WHAT? I can't even expand the memory if I want to? No Optical drive, SD slot OR even USB ports?

Huge-arse bezel, forget proper movie playback because it doesn't have a 16:9 ratio that most of today's multi-media devices have.
    And What is the DEAL with Apple and sealing their Goddamnn Batteries? F**K. F********K that's annoying.
    Forget HDMI - that's not there either.
    Apple "A4"? what-the-He!!-is-this? No proper OS X? we've waited 9 years for this thing, and it doesn't even have OS X in it? Hahahaha.

Why would I BUY this piece of Shait?!
    It's NOT "innovative" - or "Magical"... it's not an iMac lite - it's not even capable of competing with real tablet PC's which have been out for years...
    what it is, is a bigger, clumsier iPod touch hobbled by Apple's DRM schemes and probably won't extend much further than AppleTV did, once the lemming fanboys have bought them.

The humor is that Steve and Co. will adamantly defend the existence and lust-worthyness of the device, despite all of its failings - how "everyone should experience an iPad to truly understand the beauty of the product" or some such babble...
    There is no creativity here - you still need an iPhone to talk about what you're playing on your iPad... you can't take a picture or video to show off to your friends - because of the different screen resolution, many of the games in the Apps store will have to be ported-over to be playable on the iPad -
    If you're carrying a MacBook for school or business, why would you want an iPad to lug around with you as well?

No no no - this thing was designed to play controlled content for the less computer-literate masses out there. Think your Mom or Dad who were looking at a Kindle, or some tween with well heeled parents.

It's a product designed to milk every last dollar out of Joe Consumer.
    Want a physical keyboard? That'll cost ya. Adjustable stand? Pay up. Want an Adapter to have two INDUSTRY STANDARDS available to you for USB and SD cards? Cha-Ching!
    Seriously? Are you F**King SERIOUS?! Not to mention the built-in artificial lifespan. "Gee we're sorry - but your internally sealed battery has gone Ka-Poof after a year and a half... would you like us to send this out for a week and bill you $200 for a battery replacement - OR - maybe you're interested in this New iPad with an 80 Gb HD and six more extra model-unique peripherials you can buy separately, starting at just $310 dollars".
    Facepalm.

People who were looking for a serious revolution from Apple, keep moving.
    I think my next computer is going to be a Hackintosh.
    I'm So not Kidding.
    01-28-10 07:44 PM
    Then move on and dont buy it instead of a 1/2 page whine-fest
    01-28-10 07:52 PM
    Flash and multitasking would have been nice but I don't think that their omission is hurting ipod touch/iphone sales. Wait till they reduce the price $100 for the holidays and everyone and their mother will want one.
    01-28-10 07:59 PM
    Then move on and dont buy it instead of a 1/2 page whine-fest
    *Whine* Oh, sorry - opinions not allowed in the forums anymore? So I have a lot to say when I say it. I'd also like to hear your opinion on the subject - or from someone else. Maybe a person / lemming who IS going to buy this horrible horrible horrible device.
    Whoops - getting opinionated again, too many words? Maybe I should shut my pie-hole now. Whoah!! I can't - it's my frakking fingers doing the talking!!!
    OMG - get me a hammer or large butchers knife... I have to STOP THIS MADNESS!!! Can't....Restrain...Myself..... From.... TYPING..... !!

Also: the iPad is piece of junk, I poops on it.
    Pleasant day.
    01-28-10 08:13 PM
    No but your little narrative is long, drawn out and BORING. no one cares about your little rant nor will it prevent people from buying it who want it.

So get over it and move on with your life if you dont like it or want to buy it instead of acting like a 15 year old highschool girl. Its not the end of the world because people like it to waste time in your day writing novels on it.
    01-28-10 08:26 PM
    Some people just don't get it (and/or have a clue). Apple didn't say it was for the world nor were they aiming for that. If it's not going to fit in to your lifestyle, don't like the network, don't like the features missing (although aside from physical features, I don't understand how anyone can think it's finished), hate the size or whatever the reason is... IT"S NOT FOR YOU. Simple.

I'm the guy who likes tech, so whoever said "tech" people won't get it, you're already wrong.

Apple is making money and their getting bigger and have record gains in profit for a reason. They got this. If you're not with their plan, others will be. I don't even understand how people can already call it crap without using it or the device being released. For all anyone knows, Apple can have multitasking and flash coming with 4.0, but being that they didn't want people to know it's coming to the iPhone, they didn't announce/release that yet because if it's gonna be on the iPad (multitasking & flash), it'll definitely be on the iPhone.

It's a product designed to milk every last dollar out of Joe Consumer.
    Isn't that the goal of most successful companies

Ask RIM why they had to have a Tour 2 to add wifi.

No flash and no multitask? That means this device is already outdated and it hasn't even been released yet.
    How does that make sense?

no longer in use or fashionable; out-of-date; outmoded; antiquated
    The iPhone is the best selling smartphone, sold 3.1 million (JUST IN THE U.S.) and is still being used today, so even if it's a bigger iPhone/iPod (without voice/sms/mms), if it was released yesterday, it still could not be "outdated".

so by your logic, nobody needs a tv larger then a 13" because a 55" or less is the same thing, just larger. people just love to hate.
    That is one of the smartest statements I've read here.

I'm not a fanboy of Apple, nor any company, but damnnnn, Apple has some fans on the low, because I'm not sure why so many people that "do not like it and will not be getting it" is giving so much time and effort in discussing that it's a fail or will suck or that Apple made a mistake. When y'all own a company like Apple, making more money than Apple, then tell them how to run their company and make products.... until then -- PEACE OUT!
    01-28-10 09:17 PM
    No but your little narrative is long, drawn out and BORING. no one cares about your little rant nor will it prevent people from buying it who want it.

So get over it and move on with your life if you dont like it or want to buy it instead of acting like a 15 year old highschool girl. Its not the end of the world because people like it to waste time in your day writing novels on it.
    Interesting. Your response still seems to center more on ME than the subject at hand - still no thoughts on the iPad, or Coherent rebuttals without mentioning my gender, age or level of education? Pity.
    That is ok though - I had few more thoughts on Apple's newest device, I'll offer them up for the community at large to judge. Boring or not.
    Here's a comic you can read while I continue with the vernacular. Sorry lots of words in one area frighten you.

SO, I'm still relatively unimpressed with the iPad -
    Major concerns for me still center on this being some sort of "middle ground" answer for a question that was never asked... like the Segway was a middle ground device between walking and driving.

It leaves me confuzzled. It's bigger than an iPhone - but has no phone or VOIP. It's certainly no MacBook wrapped up in a tablet. Point of fact, it seems severely restricted in what you would imagine a tablet computer could do...
    which is what *most* of the hype surrounding this project prior to its showcase seemed focused on - how Apple was going to succeed, and make everyone want a tablet computer, even though almost every consumer demographic in the PC arena has near universally rejected the tablet form factor.

But no worries. Because see, it's not really a computer - it's a content serving machine. Well, content as Apple dictates you can access.
    And that's my problem with it.

From the looks of the presentation, it appears as if it'll have the same "tethered-to-one-computer" philosophy as the iPod/iTouch has... if you have media and files across multiple computers, on on multiple devices (such as flash drives), you'll have to jump through hoops just to get them on the thing. Mmm. Yeah, that's really... convenient.

Sorry. I may be a Mac user - but this device in my opinion, isn't really breaking any new ground or giving people anything in the way of creative, open computing on a full OS X platform. But again- it's not supposed to - which is a huge letdown for those of us expecting a MacBook tablet... it's a bigger iTouch. After hearing Apple talk about their working on producing a game-changing gee-wiz tablet computer, to be shown this? Bah.

I've already previously listed what I think is missing/wrong with this iPad - as far as what I'd expect a full fledged computer to do.
    Judging it just as a bigger iTouch - I still am not quite sure about it.
    Yes, I'd gather that reading eBooks on it would be "better" on the larger screen (though ePaper would offer less eye strain and improved battery life) and improved graphics for games, web surfing, and apps... sure.

But If I was going to lug around a device with a 10 inch screen on top of my iPhone, it would be nice if it wasn't just a bigger version OF my iPhone, except without the phone part. Maybe if I could do some actual computing on it... like an iBook that had a lot of the extras such as a full OS X at its disposal - an optical drive, USB ports, iSight camera, expandable memory, etc... I think then, we'd be talking more about what people were kind of expecting.

I don't see a lot of the tech blogs and news sites glowing about this newest addition to the Apple lineup - and for good reason.
    It's a bigger iTouch. Now with optional monthly data subscription services.
    Everything else about it is pretty much the same, including the DRM restrictions and stranglehold control on what you can put on it and how.

No thanks. Pass. Oh, and DUVI - I'll agree that most successful companies would LIKE to rip every last dollar out of the consumers wallet - but there's this whole "ethical" thing that sort of comes into play I'd like to believe. Like not having the mechanic charge you an extra $1200 for unneeded services when you drop off your car for an oil change, or having a washing machine purposely engineered to break every 50th wash cycle. Yanno - little things like that.
    Apple charging people for adapters for industry standard physical data ports and the like, kind of makes me grrr.

But again - only an opinion. I'd like to hear from others if you're thinking of buying one - and why.
    Last edited by Digital_Cataclysm; 01-28-10 at 09:48 PM.
    01-28-10 09:40 PM
    I am an Apple fan.. but I just can't see the point of the iPad where a regular MacBook would do. Maybe a fashion statement? Idk..
    01-28-10 10:09 PM

I'm the guy who likes tech, so whoever said "tech" people won't get it, you're already wrong.
    I'm a tech person and "I won't get it".... so whoever said that was also right.

No OSeX and I won't be flicking that screen.
    01-28-10 10:23 PM
    I'm a tech person and "I won't get it".... so whoever said that was also right.

No OSeX and I won't be flicking that screen.
    what would have made him/her/them right would have been "some techies will not get the device" as the statement included all
    01-29-10 03:16 PM
    Flash would have been HUGE!
    Yes! And multitasking!!

If they add multitasking in a future update and flash capability I will definitely get one. My MacBook is perfect but I would have loved this for when I travel so I dont have to carry the MacBook. I just dont know how they could leave flash out. So many sites still utilize flash. Also multitasking is huge so I can run the mail app, safari, calendar, etc at once and be able to switch around with ease.
    01-29-10 09:02 PM
    Okay so yes I am a machead, and yes I think that the iPad is a stupid name and yes it should have flash and yes it should mutitask. But it doesn't as of yet and I am not surprised one bit, you see this is just like apple, they decide that the product is cool and that we should have it and then they build it. Once they see the the product is a hit they do V2 V3 and so on and so forth. I mean does anyone really think this will be the only version of the iPad apple puts out? I would be willing to bet large sums of money on apple releasing another version of it before this year is even over. I know that I am going to wait to get one for a while but only because I know there will be a V2 and that it will have "something" that is better then the one that is one the market. As for all the apple haters that are posting on this I only have this to say. Neither apple or I care about your complaints. Apple has thrived doing things this way for a very long time and they are not about to change now.
    01-29-10 11:32 PM
    Okay so yes I am a machead, and yes I think that the iPad is a stupid name and yes it should have flash and yes it should mutitask. But it doesn't as of yet and I am not surprised one bit, you see this is just like apple, they decide that the product is cool and that we should have it and then they build it. Once they see the the product is a hit they do V2 V3 and so on and so forth. I mean does anyone really think this will be the only version of the iPad apple puts out? I would be willing to bet large sums of money on apple releasing another version of it before this year is even over. I know that I am going to wait to get one for a while but only because I know there will be a V2 and that it will have "something" that is better then the one that is one the market.
    But you realize that the things you mention like multitasking and flash are merely software/OS updates right? The hardware is more then capable on the thing.

I have a feeling the OS on it right now isnt what itll be by the end of the summer. It doesnt make sense that a new iphone (and the iPad) would only get a .1 update to OS 3.2.

Historically each milestone of device has gotten a 1.x update, meaning 4.0 on a 4G phone. There were already rumors that Apple was going to do multitasking in the OS natively, perhaps its just not finished yet so the OS is how it is for the time being?

I dont think we'll ever see flash on either anytime soon though. apple is very anti-flash and backs HTML 5 open standard. Its honestly not as big of a deal as it sounds, many of the huge video content providers are going HTML 5, even youtube recently started their beta, so it wont be an issue in the next few years. Flash is a resource hog anyways, CPU, RAM, and battery. I dont know if you saw the old engadget video I think it was a Hero with a beta of flash and it crashed the browser so many times it was unusable. Just because Adobe will release 10 for mobile doesnt mean itll run well.

I dont see the big loss, the iphone nor the iPad are built or marketed to replace a PC. Who wants flash ads/popups/junk on an iphone sucking the RAM slowing it down? Sure you lose some video content, but like I said a lot of the big content providers are switching to HTML 5 anyways since the iphone, Android, Pre, etc using webkit can access HTML 5 without resource hog flash. That amount of marketshare alone is enough to push site owners to get on the HTML 5 board. If Flash doesnt perform well youll see these platforms pushing HTML 5 much harder this later year, and I have a feeling it wont run well from what Ive seen out there.

As for all the apple haters that are posting on this I only have this to say. Neither apple or I care about your complaints. Apple has thrived doing things this way for a very long time and they are not about to change now.
    10000000% agree!
    Last edited by stuaw11; 01-30-10 at 12:12 AM.
    01-29-10 11:54 PM
    Historically each milestone of device has gotten a 1.x update, meaning 4.0 on a 4G phone. There were already rumors that Apple was going to do multitasking in the OS natively, perhaps its just not finished yet so the OS is how it is for the time being?
    you know I'm glad you said this because I was just about to. With 4.0 pretty much a guarantee and the ipad running off of the iphone os, I'm going to go out on the limb and say multitasking will be available to a degree. For starters, apps that use alot of resources will probably close any open apps to insure great performance. One of the main reasons apple said they didn't include mt was because of battery but with a month standby and 10hr up time i'm sure they will let the cat out of the bag with new estimates based on heavy usage. It's still two months away from even launching and people are already predicting it's life long features.
    01-30-10 06:11 AM
    Let's pretend for just a minute that this is simply an ereader designed by Apple. Amazon's best Kindle is 4GB (3.3 usable for downloading) with auto rotate and a 3G wireless connection for downloading books, magazines and newspapers - all for $489.00. For $10.00 more you can get the base iPad - which is 16GB and has Wi-Fi and also happens to surf the web via Safari, play music and movies, store photos - not to mention all of the apps that will be available. To get the 16GB 3G/Wi-Fi version, it will cost you $629.00. Who WOULDN'T pay an extra $160.00 for an ereader with quadruple the storage and all the extra featurers over Amazon's best Kindle??? Steve Jobs has stated that ebook prices will be the same as Amazon, so that's not an issue. The Kindle doesn't multitask or have flash either - but they've still sold millions of them.

However, I see much more for the iPad - basically, lead, follow or get out of the way. Apple is leading in innovation and "working outside the box". There are high schools and colleges that have integrated iPhones into the learning environment. What IF the iPad is the device that will change the way schools implement learning? Can you imagine your child having to carry one 10" device containing all of their textbooks and homework - maybe with an app for their classroom that has lessons, help and notes home right on it - instead of a backpack (clear of course) loaded down with textbooks, notebooks (the paper kind) and the like?

When I think of my dad who is 66 years old and has seen the world go from baling hay with a team of horses (yes, he was raised in the rural sticks) to something like the iPad, I think the future has endless possibilities and I'm sure there were plenty of nay sayers for microwave ovens, automatic transmissions, VCRs, satellite televisions, etc., so on and so forth.

Remember all those Star Trek episodes where they needed a schematic of the engineering systems of the latest Enterprise? Remarkably, they always held something very similar to an iPad. Hmmm....and still people say there is no use for a device like the iPad???

Apparently, I see a great use for this device and will be getting one!
    01-30-10 11:24 AM
    I will be buying one also. I have a kindle reader and an itouch, but i really like the idea of the ipad. It will have it uses.
    01-30-10 11:42 AM
    The Kindle is $250. OK maybe you CAN pay $489 for one, but trust me you can get one with a fast connection (I don't care if it's 3G-I can dl a book in about 10 seconds and a newspaper in 10 seconds too on "2g" Sprint) and enough memory for 1500 books (1.2 Gb is plenty) for $250. Amazon backs up all your books for free in case your thing breaks, and lets you dl to several devices too. That's all you need. You pay nothing for the Sprint connectivity to Amazon bookstore (why would you pay to spend your money?). So comparing the iPad to a bookreader like that is goofy, and the battery will not last as long either. You try keeping it lit for 10 straight hours reading and tell me if it works lol.
    01-30-10 11:50 AM
    The Kindle is $250. OK maybe you CAN pay $489 for one, but trust me you can get one with a fast connection (I don't care if it's 3G-I can dl a book in about 10 seconds and a newspaper in 10 seconds too on "2g" Sprint) and enough memory for 1500 books (1.2 Gb is plenty) for $250. Amazon backs up all your books for free in case your thing breaks, and lets you dl to several devices too. That's all you need. You pay nothing for the Sprint connectivity to Amazon bookstore (why would you pay to spend your money?). So comparing the iPad to a bookreader like that is goofy, and the battery will not last as long either. You try keeping it lit for 10 straight hours reading and tell me if it works lol.
    Yes, you can buy one for $250.00, but I was stating that even the best, high dollar Kindle for $10.00 less than the base iPad still doesn't touch the iPad. You can also go to Walmart and buy the latest paperback for about $6.00, read it by lamplight and back it up on your bookshelf - you could even pass it on to a friend or sale it in a garage sale - no batteries required at all. But, you still have a Kindle. If I thought like you, why have a Kindle when a paperback will work just fine?

I don't care if you buy one or not. Keep your Kindle, your Droid and your Verizon network if you want. I'll be on an iPad.
    01-30-10 12:00 PM
    But you realize that the things you mention like multitasking and flash are merely software/OS updates right? The hardware is more then capable on the thing.

I have a feeling the OS on it right now isnt what itll be by the end of the summer. It doesnt make sense that a new iphone (and the iPad) would only get a .1 update to OS 3.2.

I dont think we'll ever see flash on either anytime soon though. apple is very anti-flash and backs HTML 5 open standard. Its honestly not as big of a deal as it sounds, many of the huge video content providers are going HTML 5, even youtube recently started their beta, so it wont be an issue in the next few years. Flash is a resource hog anyways, CPU, RAM, and battery. I dont know if you saw the old engadget video I think it was a Hero with a beta of flash and it crashed the browser so many times it was unusable. Just because Adobe will release 10 for mobile doesnt mean itll run well.

I dont see the big loss, the iphone nor the iPad are built or marketed to replace a PC. Who wants flash ads/popups/junk on an iphone sucking the RAM slowing it down? Sure you lose some video content, but like I said a lot of the big content providers are switching to HTML 5 anyways since the iphone, Android, Pre, etc using webkit can access HTML 5 without resource hog flash. That amount of marketshare alone is enough to push site owners to get on the HTML 5 board. If Flash doesnt perform well youll see these platforms pushing HTML 5 much harder this later year, and I have a feeling it wont run well from what Ive seen out there.

10000000% agree!
    Right, I guess I didn't mention it but, yes I think we will get multi-tasking when os 4.0 is released in a few months. As for flash I agree with you 100%, HTML5 is the future and is far better then flash. I am a web dev student and I can't stand flash, most of my friends in the industry hate it as well and would not want it on a mobile device.
    01-30-10 02:02 PM
    I will be buying one also. I have a kindle reader and an itouch, but i really like the idea of the ipad. It will have it uses.
    You make a great point, and furthermore if the iPad had come out before the Kindle, the Kindle would have been in for a really tough road. People keep talking about the battery life, but really who reads for 10hrs in anyplace that would not have access to a power source.
    01-30-10 02:08 PM
    As stated earlier; I own a kindle, few laptops, itouch and a net book, and I fully intend to purchase one of these. The price is amazing and it will serve its purpose for me. I rent a lot of movied from itunes and watch in bed. This should allow me to watch my movies, browse the internet and allow me a bigger screen to do it with. The price will make this a solid seller for apple.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-30-10 08:46 PM
    I have a 32 gb touch that is a few years old and I am definitely going to get an ipad. It will be great for traveling and I will be able to leave my 15 inch heavy toshiba at home. The only other item that looked interesting to me is the new Lenova tablet/laptop that is coming out soon.
    01-31-10 08:16 AM
    If the ipad would have before the kindle; I would have the ipad and no kindle. Battery life doesn't concern me. I won't sit anywhere for 10 hours staright. Seriously! This will be a good seller for apple.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-31-10 08:14 PM
    Not to mention the gaming ability. A Kindle and a DS all rolled into one that also surfs the web, checks emails, plays music....you get the picture.
    01-31-10 08:52 PM
117 ... 2345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD