iOS 7 Today! {CHAT THREAD} - Mobile Phones - Digital Spy Forums

I feel their pain.

Let's be fair, we've all been there, but as sample quotes..

First you attempt to download it:

'just added a comment to my last post from a user, 90 hrs download jesus thats bad'

'Not sure how you are all managing to download it, i was at 75% there after an hour downloading and it just stops. Im giving up now and leaving it till tommorow, cant be bothered constantly having to restart this download.'

Then you have to activate it(?):

'i have the software installed but i cannot get the iPhone activated because their server could not be reached, are Apple morons or what, they knew these issues would arise.'

'How did you get it activated been trying for over a half hour, Apple need to get this activation lark sorted NOW'

'Anyone else been trying for over an hour to activate it?'

And then when they get it, it doesn't seem like everyone is a fan:

'I don't like it at all. It's too bright, and I don't mean the brightness!! It's the colours. I feel as if I'm using a phone made for a 5 year old. It all looks very simple simon. The only thing I do like is the new camera. Apart from that I think it's all awful.'

'How do you close the background apps down in iOS 7? can't get it to work after pressing the home button.'

'My God, what an awful 'upgrade'. I can hardly read the font - it's way to thin and tiny. I have an iPhone 5 and want to downgrade. I just can't see stuff. The browser back and forward 'buttons' are so faint that they're barely visible. The Fisher Price colours draw your eye away from what you really need to look at, and the icons' corners are too wide.

'What an absolute mess. I'm going to get me an Android or something I can actually use without having to squint. I don't think my eyes can take the garishness of the whole system.'

'It took 3 hours for mine to download, not worth it, hate the update, some feature I like, just the app icons and everything'

I post this just to put into perspective some of our complaints which seem trivial by comparison!
    09-18-13 05:26 PM
    Might be scary how many people try to download bbm this weekend. servers could also crash... btw have been trying to get ios7 on my ipad today with similar strange problems...
    09-18-13 05:28 PM
    Well in my class there were about 8 people who started the update at exactly 1 PM (the time when it dropped here), so with everyone updating at the same time it's no wonder it's going so slow

Posted via CB10
    09-18-13 05:33 PM
    Can't for the life of me understand why people rush to download a bloody OS update. Isn't it logical that there might be problems with reaching the site? Wouldn't it be wiser just to wait - maybe just a few days - to see if this update is really recommendable? Just to make sure it isn't flawed.
    Come on people, r u serious?

No sympathy at all. Sry.
    09-18-13 05:35 PM
    Can't for the life of me understand why people rush to download a bloody OS update. Isn't it logical that there might be problems with reaching the site? Wouldn't it be wiser just to wait - maybe just a few days - to see if this update is really recommendable? Just to make sure it isn't flawed.

No sympathy at all. Sry.
    nah, i just right in, everytiime a bb10 leaks hits crackberry im downloading it.
    BravoZuluDelta likes this.
    09-18-13 05:37 PM
    The activations are on the carriers. They're just not prepared to handle so many millions of activations so quickly.

But the downloads are totally on Apple. I can't believe they still haven't figured out how to do this right. They go through this every year when they get crushed by everyone downloading the updates at once.
    09-18-13 05:39 PM
    Servers overloaded and not liking the color palette make our problems seem trivial? Have you looked in the Z forums? "Phone is bricked!" "can't restore my backup" "lost all my contacts", etc, etc etc.

I still have no idea why anyone is making comparisons to problems on other platforms. I don't own any apple products, so I don't care if someone can't download ios7.
    09-18-13 05:42 PM
    The activations are on the carriers. They're just not prepared to handle so many millions of activations so quickly.

But the downloads are totally on Apple. I can't believe they still haven't figured out how to do this right. They go through this every year when they get crushed by everyone downloading the updates at once.
    Exactly. I didn't put this up as 'bash Apple', they're supposed to be the be all and end all so what did they expect?

Feel it, Swipe it, Love it. BlackBerry Z10...
    09-18-13 05:43 PM
    Had some glitches but it was quicker for me to put iOS 7on my kids iPhone 5 than to put a 166 MB 10.1 MR update on a Z10 this morning.

Posted via CB10
    09-18-13 05:45 PM
    Had some glitches but it was quicker for me to put iOS 7on my kids iPhone 5 than to put a 166 MB 10.1 MR update on a Z10 this morning.

Posted via CB10
    Lucky you, that doesn't seem to be the general experience....

09-18-13 05:53 PM
    I post this just to put into perspective some of our complaints which seem trivial by comparison!
    Perhaps, though I think BBRY would gladly accept the problems created by so many users downloading an update at once if it meant a user base comparable to what Apple currently has.
    h20work, richardat and kevinnugent like this.
    09-18-13 05:56 PM

Posted via CB10
    you got the 10.1 MR, where are you from? Still can't get it here in Ecuador, my phone is factory unlocked.
    09-18-13 06:03 PM

No sympathy at all. Sry.
    Nope, if the OS10.2 update was available at exactly 1pm on a certain day, I would be sure to update at that time. I can't wait for the new features!!

This is why BlackBerry is usually smart to not give a time line for when updates are released to prevent overload. Except this week for BBM, but that's because the downloading is from the Google Play store or from the Apple App Store anyway. As for registration on BBM servers, that is probably less taxing than trying to download a full fledged OS or app anyways.

Posted via CB10
    09-18-13 06:07 PM
    My wife is downloading it now and it says 17 min. It varies. You generally don't hear from the people for whom it is working.

But there are a significant number of people who are having trouble. I have no idea what percentage they represent versus those who are getting in just fine, like my wife.
    09-18-13 06:07 PM

My gf's 10yr old daughter managed to install it on her iPhone 5 and ipad. She's not very tech savy, good thing she doesn't need to use link
    kevinnugent likes this.
    09-18-13 06:08 PM
    iOS 7 Today! {CHAT THREAD} - Mobile Phones - Digital Spy Forums

I feel their pain.

Let's be fair, we've all been there, but as sample quotes..

First you attempt to download it:

'just added a comment to my last post from a user, 90 hrs download jesus thats bad'

'Not sure how you are all managing to download it, i was at 75% there after an hour downloading and it just stops. Im giving up now and leaving it till tommorow, cant be bothered constantly having to restart this download.'

Then you have to activate it(?):

'i have the software installed but i cannot get the iPhone activated because their server could not be reached, are Apple morons or what, they knew these issues would arise.'

'How did you get it activated been trying for over a half hour, Apple need to get this activation lark sorted NOW'

'Anyone else been trying for over an hour to activate it?'

And then when they get it, it doesn't seem like everyone is a fan:

'I don't like it at all. It's too bright, and I don't mean the brightness!! It's the colours. I feel as if I'm using a phone made for a 5 year old. It all looks very simple simon. The only thing I do like is the new camera. Apart from that I think it's all awful.'

'How do you close the background apps down in iOS 7? can't get it to work after pressing the home button.'

'My God, what an awful 'upgrade'. I can hardly read the font - it's way to thin and tiny. I have an iPhone 5 and want to downgrade. I just can't see stuff. The browser back and forward 'buttons' are so faint that they're barely visible. The Fisher Price colours draw your eye away from what you really need to look at, and the icons' corners are too wide.

'What an absolute mess. I'm going to get me an Android or something I can actually use without having to squint. I don't think my eyes can take the garishness of the whole system.'

'It took 3 hours for mine to download, not worth it, hate the update, some feature I like, just the app icons and everything'

Be patient, it will be worth it in the kong run. I have been running IOS 7 beta since it came out and I liking it.

It's not perfect, but there is enough improvements to satisfy most of the loyal IOS users. Once BBM for IOS is released, I Will be all set.

Sent using the CB app from my iPhone 5
    09-18-13 06:24 PM
    Might be scary how many people try to download bbm this weekend. servers could also crash... btw have been trying to get ios7 on my ipad today with similar strange problems...
    don't be in too much of a hurry, I regret getting it on my iPhone 4s

Posted via CB10
    09-18-13 06:34 PM
    My wife is downloading it now and it says 17 min. It varies. You generally don't hear from the people for whom it is working.

But there are a significant number of people who are having trouble. I have no idea what percentage they represent versus those who are getting in just fine, like my wife.
    post again when she's done....took me several tries....some almost complete, then restarted

Posted via CB10
    09-18-13 06:41 PM
    If everyone thought like you then no one would download. It's a good thing we have such brave soul's.

Sent from my HTC One running PlayBook 3.0
    09-18-13 06:46 PM
    post again when she's done....took me several tries....some almost complete, then restarted
    it's restoring her backup now. The OS install went fine.

I've seen the restart, though, last year with iOS6. I know what you're talking about.
    09-18-13 06:48 PM
    So when is 10.2 being released globally again?

We sure get alot of threads about apple lately. Wonder how many they get about us?
    09-18-13 06:50 PM
    None

Posted via CB10
    09-18-13 06:59 PM
    Updated within twenty minutes just now. Not sure what the fuss is

Posted via CB10
    09-18-13 07:17 PM
    fair is fair... no going back to a previous os sucks...
    09-18-13 07:26 PM
    it's restoring her backup now. The OS install went fine.

I've seen the restart, though, last year with iOS6. I know what you're talking about.
    That's cool. Mine took a while, which made the disapointment even geater when it was finally done
    09-18-13 07:48 PM
70 123