So much for that..

There's an untethered iOS 7 jailbreak available, but you may want to hold off | MobileSyrup.com

BlackBerry Z30 | 10.2.1.1055 | BBM Channel C0006E212
    12-22-13 11:22 AM
    erm, shouldn't this be in... iMore?
    12-22-13 11:28 AM
    Will be but there are always people saying how there was no jailbreak and it's as secure as BlackBerry 10. So there's that out the window..

12-22-13 11:38 AM
    Will be but there are always people saying how there was no jailbreak and it's as secure as BlackBerry 10. So there's that out the window..

If people would care about blackberry they would crack it too.
    RJ_Motivation and senel like this.
    12-22-13 01:34 PM

A Jailbreak has to be initiated by the user. it's a deliberate act. Why is this seen as a black mark for security?
    12-22-13 01:35 PM
    If people would care about blackberry they would crack it too.
    Nonsense

Posted via CB10
    RJ_Motivation likes this.
    12-22-13 01:36 PM
    A Jailbreak has to be initiated by the user. it's a deliberate act. Why is this seen as a black mark for security?
    Probably because the phone can be hacked/jailbroken.

But, you may not see that with iColoured glasses on.

Have you rooted or hacked a BB lately?
    R Field and bennelong like this.
    12-22-13 01:38 PM
    The fact it can be done regardless of it being deliberate or not does speak towards security

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy likes this.
    12-22-13 01:39 PM
    Mostly because of the way Apple reacts to it (i.e By "patching the exploit" that allows for it), thus implying that it's an unforseen vulnerability.

Plus many virus on PC are initiated by unknowing or just plain dumb users... and those are very much considered security weaknesses.

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy likes this.
    12-22-13 01:40 PM

'iColoured glasses'?

That's a new low, even for you
    12-22-13 01:40 PM
    'iColoured glasses'?

That's a new low, even for you
    And you're the expert at "low" I am guessing?
    12-22-13 01:42 PM

I guess that's the response to Google Glass?

bungaboy, eldricho and TgeekB like this.
    12-22-13 01:44 PM
    It all means nothing and will have no affect on the market.
    93Aero likes this.
    12-22-13 01:49 PM
    Nonsense

Posted via CB10
    Really ? Because I sure as hell remembering jailbreaking my old blackberry.

Additionally BB10 devices are already flawed in the sense that they bolster being secure devices whilst requiring users to install leaks to download apps.
    12-22-13 01:50 PM
    And you're the expert at "low" I am guessing?
    Nah. I leave that dubious honor to you

Now, I thought the talk about security was more from preventing external intrusion. I'm genuinely curious how a user initiated weakening of security is a black mark against the OS. Hence my earlier comments.
    I would like an intellectual response to this assumption, so you need not trouble yourself replying.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk
    mikeo007, TgeekB and EddieAIG like this.
    12-22-13 02:01 PM
    The fact it can be done regardless of it being deliberate or not does speak towards security

Posted via CB10
    Exploits commonly involve an escalation of privilege.
    Jailbreaking or rooting makes this possible.

CB10 on Z10
    bungaboy likes this.
    12-22-13 02:02 PM

Additionally BB10 devices are already flawed in the sense that they bolster being secure devices whilst requiring users to install leaks to download apps.
    U jailbroke a blackberry? Huh?
    Did I miss this? Which blackberry was able to jailbreak?

CLICK HERE To Join My Music & Poetry Channel. Please&Thanks.
    eldricho likes this.
    12-22-13 02:12 PM

By "jailbreaking my old BlackBerry" do you mean installing another carrier's or unbranded OS on it? Or maybe stripping out some unused core functions? Neither equals JB'ing. If you've truly cracked the BBOS, you might earn as much by selling your secret to BBRY themselves than to the underworld.

To your second point, leaks aren't a jailbreak, they're an unreleased OS from the manufacturer. No less "secure" than the carrier released versions. I apologise for my use of the word secure there, I'm not trying to big up BB10.

I'm far from a hacker, and I don't even qualify as a script kiddie. I don't want to start trying to duel of sizes or I'd lose ;-). Let's be sensible though, the legacy BBOS hasn't been hacked in the public sense (NSA aside haha).

Posted via CB10
    Nah. I leave that dubious honor to you

Now, I thought the talk about security was more from preventing external intrusion. I'm genuinely curious how a user initiated weakening of security is a black mark against the OS. Hence my earlier comments.
    I would like an intellectual response to this assumption, so you need not trouble yourself replying.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk
    The issue is not what the user getting or hoping to get by performing the jailbreak action. The problem is whatever else could be done through the weakness necessary to perform the jailbreak? As long as everyone plays nice there is no problem, but what if someone did want to use the exploit to do something dubious without the user knowing? If they openly allowed for this type of manipulation then it would not be seen as a security issue, but the fact that it has to be done through unforseen exploits, which they then rush to fix, should make it very clear that it is perceived by Apple as a security problem.

Posted via CB10

Errrrrrr! I go to BlackBerry World for my apps?.....what on earth are you talking about......

Posted via CB10
    oaknut john likes this.
    12-22-13 02:20 PM
    The issue is not what the user getting or hoping to get by performing the jailbreak action. The problem is whatever else could be done through the weakness necessary to perform the jailbreak? As long as everyone plays nice there is no problem, but what if someone did want to use the exploit to do something dubious without the user knowing? If they openly allowed for this type of manipulation then it would not be seen as a security issue, but the fact that it has to be done through unforseen exploits, which they then rush to fix, should make it very clear that it is perceived by Apple as a security problem.

Posted via CB10
    Good response.
    However, these aren't the days of 'jailbreakme.com' where all a user has to do is visit a website with the exploit. This particular jailbreak (as has been the case with the past few generations of jailbreaks) can only be carried out by running a specific program on the desktop and following a particular sequence on the iOS device.

As far as I can tell, the only way this can be initiated remotely is if your desktop is already compromised...and at this point, anyone can copy your BlackBerry backups and extract the info within anyway.

Or am I missing anything here?
    12-22-13 02:20 PM
    I was under the impression that BB10 backups are encrypted. Therefore leaving that data secure on your computer (without the key).

CB10 on Z10
    12-22-13 02:34 PM

Lol

12-22-13 03:45 PM
    I think folks would be smart to stay far away from this for now. Way too much controversy, and jailbreaking has become increasingly less useful for the masses anyway.
    12-22-13 03:55 PM
    I think folks would be smart to stay far away from this for now. Way too much controversy, and jailbreaking has become increasingly less useful for the masses anyway.
    Everybody wants to prove a thing,

but a jailbreak is essentially an exploit, and most of the time the intention of a jailbreak is to have elevation of control access, which means a breach was done via an exploit, thus... security breach.

Except for the PlayBook which was rooted before, I don't exactly remember a BlackBerry legacy device that was rooted / jailbroken.

Was there any for BB10 devices?

And the second problem here is that, people from both camps are making claims. But I find the people who are defending the iOS jailbreak camp making some outright ridiculous claims, such like "back in the day i always jailbreak blackberry devices".

People are invested, so...
    12-22-13 06:35 PM
28 12