Interesting to see the hoo ha this side of the pond regarding the "new and improved" Apple maps in iOS6. The reaction is unpopular to say the least.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-19659736

I think this shows folk do genuinely care abouts what comes preloaded on their device (i.e. this isn't all about Ecosystems and Appworlds) and I sincerely hope that this and the other chinks of light show that a well executed BB10 could seriously gain traction.
    Last edited by ed_209; 09-20-12 at 11:02 AM. Reason: Screwed up article link...
    09-20-12 11:01 AM
    Fail. Lmao!!! :d
    Last edited by Thachoc1; 09-20-12 at 11:14 AM.
    09-20-12 11:12 AM
    Its a bit of a disaster, however, it won't help RIM in the least.
    09-20-12 11:13 AM
    Being spot on will though.
    pantlesspenguin and Cesare21 like this.
    09-20-12 11:14 AM
    This is one scenario where partnering with Google is the best possible option. They have the best collection of mapping data currently available, hands down.

Apple maps is a disgrace right now, but like xandermac said, it won't help RIM (unless they get it right)
    09-20-12 11:18 AM
    Aren't RIM licensing the same map data?

edit: http://crackberry.com/rim-partners-t...ta-and-mapping

I'm fairly sure this is who Apple partnered with.

Sent from my iPhone4s using Tapatalk
    Last edited by xandermac; 09-20-12 at 11:21 AM.
    09-20-12 11:19 AM

Could be...doesn't bode well for them if they are...
    09-20-12 11:21 AM
    BB Traffic is completely different than a usual mapping app. RIM plans to focus on that aspect of TomTom. I will say, I almost never use BB Maps, but BB Traffic which ties into BB Maps has been precisely accurate for me. I just wish BB Traffic told me on which side of the road my destination is.
    Last edited by Thachoc1; 09-20-12 at 11:29 AM.
    m23haz and bigbmc26 like this.
    09-20-12 11:26 AM
    BB Traffic is completely different than a usual mapping app. RIM plans to focus on that aspect of TomTom. I will say, I almost never use BB Maps, but BB Traffic which ties into BB Maps has been precisely accurate for me.
    Apple Maps has been accurate for me so far, however, if Apple and RIM license the same data wouldn't it follow that they'll share the same errors?

Yes, BB Traffic is "different" to put it lightly.
    09-20-12 11:29 AM
    I have a Tom Tom gps sitting in my glove box. It doesn't get used at all. So it doesn't surprise me the experience on the iPhone leaves much to be desired. The one in the playbook isn't so hot either. I don't use it. If both are Tom Tom based....hmmm.

I prefer my Garmin anytime I need a gps. Or use Google maps on my berry.
    09-20-12 11:30 AM

edit: RIM partners with TomTom for real-time traffic data and mapping | CrackBerry.com

I'm fairly sure this is who Apple partnered with.

Thought that was for BB Traffic, and that TomTom was already providing data for BB users.
    09-20-12 11:31 AM
    Apple Maps has been accurate for me so far, however, if Apple and RIM license the same data wouldn't it follow that they'll share the same errors?

I really think it has more to do with the implementation method.
    09-20-12 11:33 AM
    Thought that was for BB Traffic, and that TomTom was already providing data for BB users.
    So you mean that BB10 Maps and Navigation will still be separate apps and use separate data?

edit: It would appear they'll use the same data whether separate apps or not.

NEW ORLEANS--(BUSINESS WIRE)--TomTom today announced that Research In Motion (RIM) is using TomTom's award winning real-time traffic services for BlackBerry� applications. BlackBerry� Traffic is now powered by TomTom HD Traffic, giving customers access to the most accurate, comprehensive and up-to-date traffic information on the market. Additionally, TomTom maps and location content is used in BlackBerry� Maps, and for BlackBerry� Locate Services, which gives 3rd party software developers access to the mapping and traffic information for their own apps.
    Last edited by xandermac; 09-20-12 at 11:36 AM.
    09-20-12 11:34 AM
    RIM and Apple are both using the same map data. How it is implemented would be different though
    09-20-12 11:36 AM
    So you mean that BB10 Maps and Navigation will still be separate apps and use separate data?

NEW ORLEANS--(BUSINESS WIRE)--TomTom today announced that Research In Motion (RIM) is using TomTom's award winning real-time traffic services for BlackBerry� applications. BlackBerry� Traffic is now powered by TomTom HD Traffic, giving customers access to the most accurate, comprehensive and up-to-date traffic information on the market. Additionally, TomTom maps and location content is used in BlackBerry� Maps, and for BlackBerry� Locate Services, which gives 3rd party software developers access to the mapping and traffic information for their own apps.
    I'm hoping BB Traffic and BB Maps get merged in BB10...
    09-20-12 11:36 AM
    RIM and Apple are both using the same map data. How it is implemented would be different though
    Let's hope RIM implement it better then.
    09-20-12 11:38 AM
    Tom Tom has stated in their defense that they only sold apple their map data. The problem in in the software apple built around that data.
    09-20-12 11:45 AM
    Maps all have mistakes. Nothing new. This is what I see right now on my iPhone. The Apple Map is off by about 100 feet, the Google Map is off by at least 2000 feet. I tried centering my location on the Google map a half dozen times and I get the exact same result every time.
    09-20-12 11:46 AM

From the OP's article:

TomTom said it provided only data and was not responsible for how it worked.

A spokesman told the BBC that its maps provided only a "foundation" to the service.

"The user experience is determined by adding additional features to the map application such as visual imagery," a spokesman said.

"User experience fully depends on the choices these manufacturers make.

"We are confident about our map quality, as selling 65 million portable navigation devices across the world and more than 1.4m TomTom apps for iPhone in the past two years reaffirms this quality."

Prior to the release of iOS6, several developers had expressed concerns over the capability of the mapping app, in particular its ability to find businesses via search.
    Twitter provides the data but that doesn't mean all Twitter apps are the same.
    Last edited by TheScionicMan; 09-20-12 at 11:53 AM.
    09-20-12 11:49 AM

No, I said that they were slated to provide information for BB Traffic. Which they have been doing(My point being that if TT's info was glitchy or something, then iOS would not be the only users to have issues) Haven't heard any issues on Traffic since the switch. So it may not be the data but the way the data is collected and used. It appears TT is also supplying map information to BB as well (From the info you posted from the Business wire). Again, I haven't heard any issues with wrong information being pushed to anyone devices. I mean above the usual 'This thing told me to drive into a lake' or something If the issues were on TT's end, would it make sense that only iOS would be experiencing any errors or issues? I think everyone who would have been using TT information would have been impacted.
    Last edited by Oniberry; 09-20-12 at 11:54 AM. Reason: I forgot a word - 'been'
    09-20-12 11:52 AM
    Yikes.

And I hadn't thought of the lack of Google Streetview. Of course that would be missing from Tomtom's data.

Crap. One more feature that would have helped to round out the BB10 experience.

I don't know why RIM decided to go with Tomtom.
    09-20-12 11:58 AM
    No, I said that they were slated to provide information for BB Traffic. Which they have been doing(My point being that if TT's info was glitchy or something, then iOS would not be the only users to have issues) Haven't heard any issues on Traffic since the switch. So it may not be the data but the way the data is collected and used. It appears TT is also supplying map information to BB as well (From the info you posted from the Business wire). Again, I haven't heard any issues with wrong information being pushed to anyone devices. I mean above the usual 'This thing told me to drive into a lake' or something If the issues were on TT's end, would it make sense that only iOS would be experiencing any errors or issues? I think everyone who would have been using TT information would have been impacted.
    Ahh, Gotcha.

TBH, Maps is the least of my problems with iOS 6, notifications that won't dismiss themselves after being dealt with are a bigger pain in my arse at the moment.
    09-20-12 12:01 PM
    notifications that won't dismiss themselves after being dealt with are a bigger pain in my arse at the moment.
    Apple is just trying to give their users the RIM experience
    09-20-12 12:06 PM
    Apple is just trying to give their users the RIM experience
    Apparently its a known iOS 6 bug with exchange accounts (so Gmail as exchange also) that was in the Beta's that Apple failed to fix. Wankers.

Sorry to get off topic.
    09-20-12 12:12 PM
    Maps all have mistakes. Nothing new. This is what I see right now on my iPhone. The Apple Map is off by about 100 feet, the Google Map is off by at least 2000 feet. I tried centering my location on the Google map a half dozen times and I get the exact same result every time.
    They're not talking about your location on the map.

They're talking about whole towns missing or a whole country (Scotland) being covered with clouds along with landmarks missing/mislocated. And things of that sort.
    09-20-12 12:45 PM
76 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD