06-04-12 06:44 AM
86 123 ...
tools
    I've seen numerous people posting in various threads about IOS getting to be an old operating system (not in a good way).

What exactly is meant by this?
    05-19-12 08:51 AM
    It's certain people getting bored with it. It's not boring if you jailbreak it. I myself am not tired of iOS
    05-19-12 08:55 AM
    The look of the stock UI hasn't changed since 2007. I CANNOT imagine looking at the same thing day in, day out for five years. BB has themes that change the look. Android allows users to change damn near EVERYTHING.
    I cannot last over a week using my iPhone 4S without being bored out of my mind.
    Apple should allow for themes on stock devices.
    Chrisy, mud314 and GingerSnapsBack like this.
    05-19-12 02:02 PM
    I like my Apple stuff but my vote says-- Yes... It's definitely getting old. They often add or improve existing stuff but I really wish the whole look would get some kind of refresh. It's so stale.
    hlay and GeneralTech like this.
    05-19-12 02:34 PM
    I think Apple knows this too. I am guessing the new iOS will change things up a bit and also remain simple for everyone to use and figure out so that long time iOS users are still pleased
    Chrisy likes this.
    05-19-12 02:39 PM
    I've seen numerous people posting in various threads about IOS getting to be an old operating system (not in a good way).

What exactly is meant by this?
    UI is a subjective thing, and to be honest a lot of iPhone users just got their handsets in the past year or so.

Even so, yes, I'd guess some would be ready for something fresh and new. The other thing to consider is that BB10 will be fresher from a technical standpoint as well, whereas both iOS and Android need to maintain some degree of backward compatibility.

Icing on the cake? The Playbook already demonstrates a better gesture-based operating system than iOS, and there's some suggestion that BB10 is going to extend that with actual handset gestures like wrist-flicks and the like.

If it looks good, and works as advertised (Siri has let down many users, for instance, taking a little "shine" off Apple), RIM might have a shot at a hit.
    Yoox_II and BB10FTW like this.
    05-19-12 03:36 PM
    The main thing Apples's OS has going for it is many user's do not care so much how it does it ..... it is more how easy it to use.... PB to me is as simple as it gets.... Apple however is no slouch either.... I may like PB better.... but when I first bought my Ipad I had no issue finding my way around... which is more than I can say for Android....

I find many of my Apple friends are more experience oriented as opposed to teh oriented... If the vast majority are into the experience... Apple needs to make sure that if they change their OS.... the do not be radiacal about it..... This is the downside of backward compatability..... if you do too much innovation you run the hazzard of alianating....
    05-19-12 03:54 PM
    I see iPhone users both at my school and some friends who are looking to change away from iPhone. Mostly they are looking at Android but hopefully once bb10 drops they will consider that.
    mud314 likes this.
    05-19-12 04:29 PM
    I see iPhone users both at my school and some friends who are looking to change away from iPhone. Mostly they are looking at Android but hopefully once bb10 drops they will consider that.
    Sorry to ask this but when is bb10 actually going to launch? It has been talked about since before bb5.

Sent from my jailbroken iPhone 4 5.1.1 using Tapatalk
    GingerSnapsBack and pri79269 like this.
    05-19-12 06:54 PM
    The look of the stock UI hasn't changed since 2007. I CANNOT imagine looking at the same thing day in, day out for five years. BB has themes that change the look. Android allows users to change damn near EVERYTHING.
    I cannot last over a week using my iPhone 4S without being bored out of my mind.
    Riiiiight... after you add a custom rom to it....
    05-19-12 07:36 PM
    I find this funny, any negative thread about iOS devices and the haters come out of the wood work... wow
    05-19-12 07:46 PM
    I don't see any evidence that people are getting bored with iOS. I guess I just need to wake up.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9790 using Tapatalk
    05-19-12 08:19 PM
    Sorry to ask this but when is bb10 actually going to launch? It has been talked about since before bb5.

Sent from my jailbroken iPhone 4 5.1.1 using Tapatalk
    Really? Since before OS5 there has been talk about bb10 ONX OS based? I didn't know RIM had it planed before they even acquired QNX.
    05-19-12 08:23 PM
    I find this funny, any negative thread about iOS devices and the haters come out of the wood work... wow
    While it might end up being negative, I was more curious as to people's meaning and if they could expand on the belief that IOS is getting to be old. The main dislike appears to be with the user interface.

It's been around now for 5 years, of which it was noted that a substantial portion of the users purchased the 4/4S/or ipad as a first device, which have only been on the market since summer, 2010 (less then 2 years).

Aged then would probably have more to do with the UI not supporting something desirable found in other devices. Personally, i'd probably say the only additional thing i'd like to see in IOS is android style widgets.
    05-19-12 09:56 PM
    ^ this. For a company that prided itself a few years ago as an innovator on the mobile market, it's a pretty sad state of affairs. And it's not just folks around here commenting on it. They better up the ante this year, people were mildly annoyed at getting a "4S" rather than a "5" last year. Smartphone 'giants' tend to walk around on pretty fragile stilts the last half a dozen years, and investors and consumers are quite a fickle lot. That's why I've never bought an iPhone. They released a big product and then decided to give it the absolute minimal they possibly could ever since.

I really don't get you iPhone loyalists, honestly I don't. Well, I kinda do. What people fail to understand is that Apple doesn't succeed as a smartphone. They succeed as a fashion accessory. iPhones are basically designer handbags. They haven't really done anything innovative with them since 2007 but people eat them up. Why? They're fashion accessories. Yes, a couple of you will inevitably chime in to reply that it sells because it's a good product. Horse turds. It sells because it's a fashionable product of average quality, that also happens to be one of the easiest platforms to use for people who really aren't ready for a smartphone anyway. Pun intended.
    Last edited by omniusovermind; 05-19-12 at 10:29 PM.
    morganplus8 and Deu2e like this.
    05-19-12 10:20 PM
    yeah, its really getting tired....

I mean, look at all the vacant apple stores, the tanking APPL stock, the lack of sales, etc etc...(can Apple buy every share of RIM 30X over in cash today?) iTunes store itself will sustain Apple for a long long time.

bucking the trends isn't as trendy as it used to be folks. Make all the excuses you want....at the end of the day if something works, it sells.

I carry a Blackberry and love it, as all I want to do is text and talk. Its unbeatable for that. I'm the minority and so are most people here.
    Last edited by G550Pilot; 05-19-12 at 10:40 PM.
    kevinnugent and brucep1 like this.
    05-19-12 10:30 PM
    Riiiiight... after you add a custom rom to it....
    Nope. My Atrix and my Skyrocket are stock. Through the use of launchers, live wallpapers, and widgets I can completely overhaul the look of my device WITHOUT custom ROMs.

Ever used an Android device? I used to be misinformed too, said horrible things about it, then learned that I was completely misinformed. I've eaten several slices of humble pie after learning about Android.

I don't see how pointing out the FACT that the UI is five years old is being a hater . It is a comment on a fact. If I had said Apple is lame running a UI that was new when Bush was president with no chance to customise without a jailbreak i would be a hater, with a trolling type of comment. However true it might be.
    Last edited by Qbnkelt; 05-20-12 at 08:06 AM.
    DanielFariasV and GeneralTech like this.
    05-20-12 06:22 AM
    I think if you use any platform for an extended period of time, it can get stale. Most of the folks who frequent forums such as this are tech junkies, and as such we seek the next and best tech advancements. I like iOS because it's the smoothest OS I've found to date.
    05-20-12 07:28 AM
    Ios is getting old IMO. If you look long term, Apple has to do something to their mobile os if they want to stay relevant. If they don't, I predict they will go south in a couple of years. To be honest, iphones don't even have nfc yet. They are lacking software and hardware wise. But, they look really nice and are easy to use, somewhat fragile too. Kind of like an accessory. But a lot of people like it, no doubt with the multitude of apps available to them, but that will change within the next year or two. Another platform already has almost the same multitude of apps (android), and with the industry moving the way it is, apps are bound to be across many multiple platforms in the coming years. So IMO, if apple doesn't change their business model to suit the long term, they will find it hard to stay relevant. It may be "too little too late". Gosh how I've heard enough if that.

Also, backwards compatibility. They are screwed in this sense unless they find a way to get around it. If they stay backwards compatible after a major update, its still old Ios. If they go really different and aren't backwards compatible, their whole app store is non-existent. People will be MAD. I'm glad RIM chose qnx. Believe it or not, your os will have to change every couple years to keep up with tech. Look at the pc world. Windows and Mac have a multitude of Operating systems that kept up with technology. Windows 95 is no where close to xp. RIM may have a long term os on their hands and that's a good thing.
    morganplus8 likes this.
    05-20-12 09:40 AM
    Interestingly enough, Apple is more about backward compatibility in iOS than in OS X.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express
    05-20-12 10:30 AM
    Ios is getting old IMO. If you look long term, Apple has to do something to their mobile os if they want to stay relevant. If they don't, I predict they will go south in a couple of years. To be honest, iphones don't even have nfc yet. They are lacking software and hardware wise. But, they look really nice and are easy to use, somewhat fragile too. Kind of like an accessory. But a lot of people like it, no doubt with the multitude of apps available to them, but that will change within the next year or two. Another platform already has almost the same multitude of apps (android), and with the industry moving the way it is, apps are bound to be across many multiple platforms in the coming years. So IMO, if apple doesn't change their business model to suit the long term, they will find it hard to stay relevant. It may be "too little too late". Gosh how I've heard enough if that.

Also, backwards compatibility. They are screwed in this sense unless they find a way to get around it. If they stay backwards compatible after a major update, its still old Ios. If they go really different and aren't backwards compatible, their whole app store is non-existent. People will be MAD. I'm glad RIM chose qnx. Believe it or not, your os will have to change every couple years to keep up with tech. Look at the pc world. Windows and Mac have a multitude of Operating systems that kept up with technology. Windows 95 is no where close to xp. RIM may have a long term os on their hands and that's a good thing.
    NFC.

That's basically how Apple makes its money by reducing costs. They didn't put the hardware in the phone last year, and at the time very few stores were setup to allow for it's use. That saves them from the hardware cost of including it while there wasn't a big demand for it, and if they wait to include the hardware until it's usable in stores, it also gives people another reason to upgrade. Is it going to show up in the 2012 iphone? I expect so.

When it comes to backwards compatibility, a big part of that is by controlling the hardware. The displays are at pre-defined resolutions, and if there is a size change it's by an even multiple. It makes it incredibly easy for the developer in that if it works on one device, it works on any hardware released subsequently without requiring action on the developers part. Breaking that would be pretty much the biggest mistake they could possibly make.
    05-20-12 11:09 AM
    When was the 4s released? What about everyone that cries foul with things like nfc that aren't used a lot yet but it will be during your contract time? So buying a 4s you won't have these things over your contract period. Yep only matters around here if it's RIM.

Just an example.
    05-20-12 11:17 AM
    When was the 4s released? What about everyone that cries foul with things like nfc that aren't used a lot yet but it will be during your contract time? So buying a 4s you won't have these things over your contract period. Yep only matters around here if it's RIM.

Just an example.
    That's not really a great argument. You feel that hardware when purchase should support anything you might be doing during the contract period?

How many android users are able to (officially/ not custom warranty-voiding rom) install the current version of android on their device while still under contract?

If you were to purchase a new top of the line Black Berry today, you're going to be under contract awhile. Will you be able to install BB10 on it when/if it's released before the end of this year?
    05-20-12 11:49 AM
    That's not really a great argument. You feel that hardware when purchase should support anything you might be doing during the contract period?

How many android users are able to (officially/ not custom warranty-voiding rom) install the current version of android on their device while still under contract?

If you were to purchase a new top of the line Black Berry today, you're going to be under contract awhile. Will you be able to install BB10 on it when/if it's released before the end of this year?
    True and I don't but I read it all the time on here and usually from other fans.
    05-20-12 11:52 AM
    The UI is boring....
    05-20-12 11:53 AM
86 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD