True and I don't but I read it all the time on here and usually from other fans.
    RIM's completive edge was BBM. Apple's? The multitude of apps available under IOS. My opinion would be that the market decided apps were worth more then BBM, and purchased the iphone.

There's all sorts of other things hardware can do, and NFC is kind of the same as camera lenses. The camera on the iphone was garbage up until the iphone 4. It had one that had a minimal cost, worked (poorly), with the difference in costs going to the bottom line. The market responded by purchasing the iphone anyways, because it decided the apps were more valuable then a good camera.

NFC... People would likely still purchase the iphone regardless even if the next version doesn't include NFC, but i'd guess Apple decided there's enough places that accept it now it's worth adding and eating the cost as another thing to help convince people to upgrade.

Assume adding the chip costs $1/unit. If they can sell 50 million units to people who don't overly care if the chip is present or not, that's a $50m profit by not including it.

I'd expect they go through that with every piece of hardware. How much will it cost to include, will it increase sales, and if we don't include it, what are the odds that a competitors who does include it will see there sales increase?
    05-20-12 01:53 PM
    There are also ones who say they won't buy a bb because no LTE yet iphone with no LTE still sells like hotcakes yet many androids have all the apps and LTE.
    05-20-12 01:56 PM
    people were mildly annoyed at getting a "4S" rather than a "5" last year.

I would say 39 million sales last quarter don't back this assumption.

Sure, the OS is old but it hasn't had an effect just yet. Keep hoping tho.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    kevinnugent likes this.
    05-20-12 02:25 PM
    There are also ones who say they won't buy a bb because no LTE yet iphone with no LTE still sells like hotcakes yet many androids have all the apps and LTE.
    Sure, there's going to be some people who the most important thing when purchasing a phone is going to be LTE support, and they won't purchase anything that doesn't have it. How large of a market is that though? It's going to be a growing market, sure, but it's still not that large of a market. The majority of the market though is going to be "LTE? That's nice. What is it?" LTE support is expensive, let alone power consumption.

It's the same thing (as camera lenses/NFC/and likely other features). Do you put the money into R&D and the additional variable cost on manufacturing to get the small fraction of potential customers wanting that, or wait a year until more people are interested/ and manufacturing costs decrease? Keep in mind though you can only get away with that type of action with acceptable sales of a product as is.
    05-20-12 02:27 PM
    I really don't get you iPhone loyalists, honestly I don't. Well, I kinda do. What people fail to understand is that Apple doesn't succeed as a smartphone. They succeed as a fashion accessory. iPhones are basically designer handbags. They haven't really done anything innovative with them since 2007 but people eat them up. Why? They're fashion accessories. Yes, a couple of you will inevitably chime in to reply that it sells because it's a good product. Horse turds. It sells because it's a fashionable product of average quality, that also happens to be one of the easiest platforms to use for people who really aren't ready for a smartphone anyway. Pun intended.
    Thanks for coming and passing along your knowledge.

I don't understand the arguments some users on here have.

We need tools not toys. iOS is boring cause it's doesn't have a theme builder. Ok.......
    05-20-12 02:28 PM
    To some people the stability to seamlessly integrate all their Apple products trumps everything else. To others the ability to change the device is critical. My Skyrocket runs every bit as smoothly as my i4S. The battery sucks but I can change it myself without having to go to Apple or void the warranty by opening the device myself. Or I can get an extended battery. It simply gives me more choices. Ditto for BB. So today I went to At&t and swapped out my 4S for my Skyrocket. Let's see what the next iOS brings. My 4S is in its box.
    Last edited by Qbnkelt; 05-20-12 at 09:04 PM.
    05-20-12 04:21 PM
    When was the 4s released? What about everyone that cries foul with things like nfc that aren't used a lot yet but it will be during your contract time? So buying a 4s you won't have these things over your contract period. Yep only matters around here if it's RIM.

Just an example.
    It could be worse...you could be stuck with a BB OS7 device that will be obsolete by Q4 2012

At least with the iPhone 4S you're sure of updates to the latest versions of iOS for the next 2-3 years.

Why are people in glass houses throwing stones??
    05-20-12 04:46 PM
    iPhones are basically designer handbags. They haven't really done anything innovative with them since 2007 but people eat them up. Why? They're fashion accessories. Yes, a couple of you will inevitably chime in to reply that it sells because it's a good product. Horse turds. It sells because it's a fashionable product of average quality, that also happens to be one of the easiest platforms to use for people who really aren't ready for a smartphone anyway. Pun intended.
    'average quality'?
    In looks and build quality the iPhone 4S ranks high up there with the best. And hardware wise, the 4S is more powerful than any OS7 BB phone on sale right now...
    05-20-12 04:53 PM
    It could be worse...you could be stuck with a BB OS7 device that will be obsolete by Q4 2012

At least with the iPhone 4S you're sure of updates to the latest versions of iOS for the next 2-3 years.

Why are people in glass houses throwing stones??
    I'm not stuck with anything. I choose to get one despite knowing what is coming. It will work just as well then as it does now. I'm not worried about the OS being updated beyond bug fixes. What will iOS offer the older devices that will work well on them? What new features or enhancements?

Not throwing any stones just stating my observations on what is good for the goose but not the gander.
    05-20-12 04:54 PM
    I'm not stuck with anything. I choose to get one despite knowing what is coming. It will work just as well then as it does now. I'm not worried about the OS being updated beyond bug fixes. What will iOS offer the older devices that will work well on them? What new features or enhancements?

Not throwing any stones just stating my observations on what is good for the goose but not the gander.
    With iOS you know you'll have the latest software and apps on the platform. For example, when I got my iPhone 4 I was on IOS 4 that had a crappy notification system. Now, I have apples latest notification system running on a 2 year old phone perfectly.
    05-20-12 05:01 PM
    With iOS you know you'll have the latest software and apps on the platform. For example, when I got my iPhone 4 I was on IOS 4 that had a crappy notification system. Now, I have apples latest notification system running on a 2 year old phone perfectly.
    Any thing more than that? Does everything in the new version run well?
    05-20-12 05:07 PM
    Well I also got iCloud integration, ability to wirelessly update OS, music, stuff like that. Not really that important to me but a nice touch.

And iOS 5 runs great on my iPhone 4. Don't know why or how, it just works.
    05-20-12 05:15 PM
    Simple answer? Yes. iOS 5.1 runs fluidly on the iPhone 4.
    05-20-12 05:34 PM
    Wish I could say the same about my iPod touch. It's not as snappy or as fluid as it was before the last couple of updates.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9790 using Tapatalk
    05-20-12 06:51 PM
    Well I also got iCloud integration, ability to wirelessly update OS, music, stuff like that. Not really that important to me but a nice touch.

Nice, yes I agree RIM needs to do this also and I think they are with the new OS. I was afraid it would be like running vista on an xp computer
    05-20-12 07:48 PM
    So no one sees the irony of BB fans calling another OS old?
    05-20-12 07:58 PM
    No don't you think most know bbOS is old? iOS however is only a couple years newer if that.
    05-20-12 08:04 PM
    Not adding much here, but I've never liked the look or feel of the ios platform. Ease of use, quality of apps, etc. Yeah those are good, but the "look" has always been lacking, in my opinion. At first I though the playbook was too basic, but the ui update was great and the gestures just make it! I've caught myself swiping on the ipad2 many times haha
    05-20-12 08:19 PM
    Of course BBOS is old, but it gives me the ability to change it up. That was my point.
    iOS looks exactly the same without the option to change it unless you jailbreak, and even then, the changes are just not enough. And THAT is why i just can't last longer than a week on it without being bored to tears.
    05-20-12 09:14 PM

You know what else is a "nice touch"? Being able to dial a phone number from a plain text (no hyperlink even) phone number in a website. Being able to bring up google maps from a plain text address on a website. Being able to share a Web Page with more than just twitter, email, and one other choice (forget which, choices are so lame it doesn't matter at this point).

Your last couple of arguments about IOS recent innovations are rock solid, keep em coming, Greenspan you'll be a world class lawyer in no time.
    05-20-12 09:55 PM
    To the OP, I say that speaking for someone who has had an iPad and kept it about a year and over the past 6 months I have owned an iPhone 4. Yeah, I'm bored with it already, iOS is clean, responsive and I will not say that the equipment is cheap as others have. I think it's of good quality. But your question was about iOS and I have to say even when it's jailbroken, it's still boring.

I hope they change the UI for this coming release, if not there will be a new kid on the block BB10 with some new handsets and as a gadget geek I will afford myself one, if big red carries it.
    morganplus8 likes this.
    05-20-12 10:54 PM
    Of course BBOS is old, but it gives me the ability to change it up. That was my point.
    iOS looks exactly the same without the option to change it unless you jailbreak, and even then, the changes are just not enough. And THAT is why i just can't last longer than a week on it without being bored to tears.
    Totally, utterly wrong. Very many 3rd party jailbreak iOS themes can significantly change the way it looks. iOS themes have gone way past the simple icon replacements that were popular in 2008/2009.

And there's much more complex themes out there that can skin the dialer, music player, calender etc
    05-21-12 01:00 AM
    You know what else is a "nice touch"? Being able to dial a phone number from a plain text (no hyperlink even) phone number in a website. Being able to bring up google maps from a plain text address on a website. Being able to share a Web Page with more than just twitter, email, and one other choice (forget which, choices are so lame it doesn't matter at this point).

Your last couple of arguments about IOS recent innovations are rock solid, keep em coming, Greenspan you'll be a world class lawyer in no time.
    I'd trade every single one of those things you're so proud about with a decent offline GPS app for my Bold 9900 with turn by turn navigation.

When even RIM and Crackberry are subtly hinting that OS7 is dying and obsolete, I find this disdain towards a rival, market leading OS to be extremely hilarious
    05-21-12 01:03 AM
    Totally, utterly wrong. Very many 3rd party jailbreak iOS themes can significantly change the way it looks. iOS themes have gone way past the simple icon replacements that were popular in 2008/2009.

Click to view quoted image

And there's much more complex themes out there that can skin the dialer, music player, calender etc
    Impressive, but how many users actually jailbreak their devices?
    05-21-12 01:32 AM
    Impressive, but how many users actually jailbreak their devices?
    I don't think there's any concrete info (perhaps not more than 10%) but that translates to millions of users. The important thing is that people who really NEED to theme their iOS devices have the jailbreak option to fall back on.
    05-21-12 03:20 AM
86 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD