It isn't far fetched to believe that if the iPhone was never created, the world of smartphones we know to this day would be the Motorola Q and Samsung Blackjack.

The Blackberry Storm would have never existed, neither would have Android and the entire army of touchscreen phones out there.
    You're blaming Apple for that?

Sorry... couldn't resist...

The way Apple incorporates ideas (original and borrowed) under one umbrella is innovative in and of itself.

I don't think iOS5 is going to be enough to get me to switch, but I think the features revealed are fantastic.
    06-10-11 10:56 AM
    You're blaming Apple for that?

Sorry... couldn't resist...

The way Apple incorporates ideas (original and borrowed) under one umbrella is innovative in and of itself.

I don't think iOS5 is going to be enough to get me to switch, but I think the features revealed are fantastic.
    That is true. Just putting certain services out there and how everything works together is innovative. Not necessarily created the technology but innovation also includes how to use existing processes and technology in a new way.
    06-10-11 11:24 AM
    naw, apple is, genius
    not into their proprietary software, but thats what jailbreaking s good for.
    06-10-11 06:51 PM
    I don't care who uses what. I don't hate Apple, I don't hate any brand, really. I do think its comical that Androids dominance has completely forced Apples hand and pushed back their yearly upgrade so they can put out a phone that is competitive with the Androids. Its too late. I'm fairly certain the iphone will be on all the carriers in the US by the end of the year, but it wont matter. Its not going to catch Android. Who cares, though? It doesn't have to catch Android to be good. Again, I do find it terribly comical that Apple, once so dismissive of Android when the G1 dropped is now scrambling, and hemming and hawing while trying to figure out how to stop the steamroller coming right at them.
    06-11-11 02:26 AM
    I don't care who uses what. I don't hate Apple, I don't hate any brand, really. I do think its comical that Androids dominance has completely forced Apples hand and pushed back their yearly upgrade so they can put out a phone that is competitive with the Androids. Its too late. I'm fairly certain the iphone will be on all the carriers in the US by the end of the year, but it wont matter. Its not going to catch Android. Who cares, though? It doesn't have to catch Android to be good. Again, I do find it terribly comical that Apple, once so dismissive of Android when the G1 dropped is now scrambling, and hemming and hawing while trying to figure out how to stop the steamroller coming right at them.
    What exactly are you talking about? We all know Android has the most marketshare but no one is making more money than Apple. Cheap Android devices that are easy to sell to consumers are what's driving their share. Not the higher end devices that eat the sales of each other. I highly doubt Apple is the one scrambling for anything. Once they release an iPhone on all carrier then check the market share. And Apple was not dismissive of Android. I think you're confusing it with RIM's dismissal of iPhone. Whether you believe it or not, Android is still trying to catch up with iOS is terms of stability, ease of use and developer support. Take it from someone who owns both.... everything Google is beta for a very long time and then it finally gets good. You can ask 10 general consumers that no nothing about tech but have an Android phone (based off a store associate's recommendation) "what platform is your phone running"..... more than half wouldn't even know. All they know is they have an HTC phone. Android has little brand recognition. People aren't buying Android because they know what it is. They are buying it because they can get them cheap, they are everything and they listen to store associates.
    06-11-11 09:16 AM
    Yeah, the Android marketshare is helped by 75 million variants from low to high end. It's no different than RIM saying the Curve was the top selling smartphone - easy to say when there are 7 versions of it on every carrier from regional to international.

Apple's numbers are impressive because for you guys, it's only been on one carrier until quite recently (it's been open in Canada for longer) and there are not many variants.
    06-11-11 12:56 PM
    Apple's numbers are impressive because for you guys, it's only been on one carrier until quite recently (it's been open in Canada for longer) and there are not many variants.
    What? It's been worldwide for years.
    06-13-11 01:29 PM
    Then he copied it from Android. I don't care at all who copies who, but what I can't stand is how every dedicated Apple sheep will say Apple is so innovative for all of these things, ignoring that pretty much all of it is already on other platforms. I just see this blind loyalty with Apple users I don't see on other platforms. So many people will just buy it because it's Apple and have no idea what other devices are out there.
    to be fair, when i posted in the android forums asking an opinion about apple vs. android, i got ALL the android love i could take..and more.

Android (and RIM) have taken things from apple too. iPhone was one of the first full touch screen phones on the market when the 2G came out. So...yeah. everyone "copies" off of each other. I don't consider it copying. It's just improving upon what's already been put out there. Sometimes it's an improvement and sometimes it's not. Personally, I wasn't impressed with Android and it's lack of ability to handle memory well. I feel iPhone does it better. So i'll stick with iPhone.
    06-13-11 02:16 PM
    The Android operating system does intrigue me...in about 2 years. Needs time for refinement, similar to iOS and even the BBOS in its younger days.

That being said, ain't competition grand? How can you complain about three companies, all great at what they do, with innovation of their own and imitation of the good things from others? I say its a win-win for me as a consumer, and I've long passed the days of validation from others in my choices, so to each his own.
    06-13-11 03:56 PM
    What? It's been worldwide for years.
    Not what I was talking about. When I said "for you guys" I mean t Americans. RIM sell their phones on all carriers in the US and Canada, while until last year (in Canada) and this year (in the States) iPhone was locked to Rogers and AT&T, respectively. You could buy an unlocked model from Apple themselves or privately, but let's face it, most didn't.

It's easier for RIM to sell 30 million BBs on Bell, Rogers, Telus, Virgin, Wind, Koodo, Fido, AT&T, Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile, US Cellular etc than it is for Apple to sell 30 million iPhones on AT&T and Rogers only. And until very recently, that's exactly what the situation was. As far as variants - it's easy for RIM to sell more Curve (as an example) when you have the 8300, 8310, 8320, 8330, the 8500 series was available at the same time, and then it's on more than 12 carriers in the US and Canada. Compare that to Apple having the iPhone 3G, 3Gs (using that time period with the curve) only on AT&T and Rogers, and the variants were white, black, 8 Gb and 16 Gb. Of course RIM is going to sell more - they saturated the market.

That's what I was talking about.

Same thing with Android - with them available on all those carriers, and those carriers having multiple Android handsets from multiple manufacturers like HTC, Samsung, Sony and LG, it's easier for them to saturate the market compared to Apple.

Although, Apple has done pretty well for itself heh.
    Last edited by reeneebob; 06-13-11 at 05:13 PM.
    06-13-11 05:04 PM
    Just to get this thread back on track a bit, my OP was not so much about the fact that the iOS notification bar seems ripped right out of Android OS, but more about the fact that Apple took this route.

Yes companies taking ideas from competitors and implementing them into their OS is great for consumers. Someone that loves the iPhone but also likes how Android handles notifications is now a winner. iPhone with Android style notifications. But I'm more intrigued by why Apple would do this.

Apple is notorious for aggressively defending its ideas and products from patent infringement etc. Every few months on engadget.com there is an article about who Apple decided to sue.

So seeing as, at least to my eyes, iOS notifications are so similar (if not a direct copy of Android's system) why would a company like Apple take this route? Aren't they opening themselves up to finger pointing from others saying now Apple is the one doing the copying?
    Last edited by Mr. Marco; 06-13-11 at 11:22 PM.
    06-13-11 11:20 PM
    I believe that if Apple (or any tech company) could get away with creating a device in the shape of the Eiffel Tower, they would, especially if it created more sales.

It's all a game. See how far you can go before getting sued for patent infringement. On the other side, see how many frivolous claims you can file to slow down and/or fluster a competitor.

It's the cost of doing business.

I selfishly want every tech company to get ideas from everywhere.
    06-13-11 11:48 PM
    Just to get this thread back on track a bit, my OP was not so much about the fact that the iOS notification bar seems ripped right out of Android OS, but more about the fact that Apple took this route.

Yes companies taking ideas from competitors and implementing them into their OS is great for consumers. Someone that loves the iPhone but also likes how Android handles notifications is now a winner. iPhone with Android style notifications. But I'm more intrigued by why Apple would do this.

Apple is notorious for aggressively defending its ideas and products from patent infringement etc. Every few months on engadget.com there is an article about who Apple decided to sue.

So seeing as, at least to my eyes, iOS notifications are so similar (if not a direct copy of Android's system) why would a company like Apple take this route? Aren't they opening themselves up to finger pointing from others saying now Apple is the one doing the copying?
    Guess what I found this morning in the news? lol

Apple and Nokia patent dispute ends with license agreement, Apple payments -- Engadget
    06-14-11 10:16 AM
    Well well well it's all finally settled, and Apple stock still went up to boot. Not to shabby....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    06-15-11 06:20 PM
39 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD