10-12-10 09:19 PM
29 12
tools
    Geohot is back. All iOS 4.1 devices can be jailbroken for life. Great news

Limera1n iOS 4.1 Jailbreak is REAL [Confirmed] | Redmond Pie
    10-09-10 08:34 AM
    GeoHot has released his jailbreak already.

http://www.tipb.com/2010/10/09/updat...s0n-jailbreak/
    10-09-10 06:18 PM
    Yeah, that guy cracks me up. According to his CS teachers (my son goes to same high school he used to attend) they never saw him as being such a capable software guy. Obviously he's unbelievably talented.
    10-09-10 06:40 PM
    Limera1n doesnt work for the iPhone 3G
    10-09-10 07:24 PM
    Yeah, that guy cracks me up. According to his CS teachers (my son goes to same high school he used to attend) they never saw him as being such a capable software guy. Obviously he's unbelievably talented.
    So he's not 16 years old like I thought he was? lol

He's pretty touchy. He said he was done and I thought it was kind of funny
    that he undercut the dev team like this. But as long as it works and people
    are happy with their jailbreak.
    10-09-10 07:34 PM
    I thought my buddy on 4.1 was gonna have a heart attack; texted me-guess what, guess what??!!!! They just released the JB, and I got it!!! He had it literally minutes after.
    10-09-10 07:59 PM
    The best feature of Limera1n:

"zero pictures of my face" - Geohot
    10-10-10 12:26 AM
    Did the jailbreak. Went fine with limera1n. Already changed my theme. Gonna lookup good apps to put on through Cydia.
    10-10-10 12:33 AM
    I want to upgrade my I4 to 4.1 and do the new jailbreak, but I'm not sure my SHSH files are saved. When I go to my Cydia home screen, at the very top it says "SHSH: iOS 4.0.1, 4.0.2". Does this mean that they are already saved or is there something else that I have to do?
    10-10-10 10:51 AM
    theyre saved then
    10-10-10 12:32 PM
    theyre saved then
    Thank a lot. Now I can upgrade to 4.1 and do the new JB.
    10-10-10 12:45 PM
    I wouldnt say go run and upgrade to 4.1 personally. 4.2 is supposed to be out next month with wireless music/video and printing. 4.1 really offers a few bug fixes, HDR photos, and Gamecenter- nothing worth resetting up your phone for IMO.

Personally Im waiting for 4.2 before upgrading since its should be released within a few weeks here and the JB now should still work in theory.
    10-10-10 01:41 PM
    I wouldnt say go run and upgrade to 4.1 personally. 4.2 is supposed to be out next month with wireless music/video and printing. 4.1 really offers a few bug fixes, HDR photos, and Gamecenter- nothing worth resetting up your phone for IMO.

Personally Im waiting for 4.2 before upgrading since its should be released within a few weeks here and the JB now should still work in theory.
    Are you saying that if I upgrade to 4.1 and do the new JB now, that when 4.2 comes out I can't just upgrade and retain the JB? Or would I have to reinstall the new JB again?
    10-10-10 01:54 PM
    no one knows how the JB will work with 4.2 yet, at least who's talking. From what I understand its a permanent JB now moving ahead in OSs.

I was more saying wait for 4.2 to update your OS, but thats youre decision. I jsut dont think 4.1 is all that different to have to reinstall everything on the phone over again right now (better to do it once than twice in 5-6 weeks).
    10-10-10 01:59 PM
    no one knows how the JB will work with 4.2 yet, at least who's talking. From what I understand its a permanent JB now moving ahead in OSs.

I was more saying wait for 4.2 to update your OS, but thats youre decision. I jsut dont think 4.1 is all that different to have to reinstall everything on the phone over again right now (better to do it once than twice in 5-6 weeks).
    I see your point. My phone is running just fine now, so I think I'll take your advice.

Thanks for your help.
    10-10-10 02:05 PM
    Yeh 4.1 offers very few upgrades vs the time it takes to get your phone back how you want it. Some people have reported battery drain issues with 4.1 too.

Im personally waiting for 4.2 to upgrade since itll be 4.1 features plus all the new 4.2 features (airplay, printing, etc).
    10-10-10 02:09 PM
    DX9: You might want to change the OP.
    ATM, Limera1n is a buggy Beta.
    Only working on the iP4.

GeoHotz rushed it out, and it needs to be tweaked.

I've been reading through a very long thread about it MMi.
    There are members there that seem to be close to the dev teams.
    10-10-10 03:49 PM
    To be fair Im sure an all device untethered JB isnt something easy to do. I give props to Geohot for coming back to help people, considering he doesnt make a penny off doing this. He's said before he merely just like beating Apple, and I think thats a good motive to do this stuff.

I think the jailbreak drama between the groups is quite hilarious really. I dont see why people are so mad Geohot released his first, they had how long to release theirs?

All it was was more well just wait no ETA blah blah blah talk talk talk. Like I said Im sure this stuff isnt easy to do, but Geohot acted and now theyre mad about it? Considering its tools to help people and free of charge I dont see the big deal, other than theyre pissed they dont get their notoriety, which is sad if its about egos rather than the work.
    10-10-10 04:45 PM
    Well, the tweaking is progressing.

I copied and pasted the changelog from Limera1n.com:

changelog
    BETA1 - first release
    BETA2 - fixed kernel patching magic, rerun BETA2+ over BETA1
    BETA3 - fixed new bootrom 3GS
    BETA4 - uninstall fixed, respring fixedish
    10-11-10 12:08 AM
    For better or for worse, Hotz did the right thing and he worked his @$$ off to do it. It's not easy doing all that in like 2 days.

Here's why he did the right thing. He's had the exploit for 6 months. Apple is probably already aware of it and probably ready to patch it. There's no reason to let it go to waste. The newer SHAtter explot is only good for A4 devices, which would leave 3gs's and 3rd gen iPTs out. Also, this early in the game with A4, it might be wise to sit on it until there is a decent number of devices out in the wild. Remember, iPT 4th gen and ATV 2nd gen have only been out a month. The current exploit in limera1n will cover up to 4.2, Apple won't have enough time to fix the bootrom exploit to ship devices with an update in them until late Nov. at the earliest, after the promised release of 4.2. If additional updates beyond 4.2 are relatively minor, then the current jailbreak could be good until the spring. That's important. That's when iPad 2 will be announced and shipped. That's the time to use the newer exploit.

Edit: @comex, the guy who did the previous jailbreak on 4.0.1, begrudgingly gave his approval and even his help to get Hotz's jailbreak out. Hotz needed his userland exploit to make the jailbreak untethered.
    Last edited by Roo Zilla; 10-11-10 at 02:20 PM.
    10-11-10 12:55 AM
    Roo, after reading through hundreds of posts on the subject, that interpretation of events made the most sense to me as well.

What geohotz did may have angered many people, but ultimately it was the best move.
    10-11-10 09:35 AM
    I Jailbroke and my i4 is running great. I even tried a restore and it went smooth. Then Jailbroke again. A few apps aren't working properly yet like backgrounder and remove background but should be fixed soon. Dtunes also not working. Having fun though with the jailbreak.
    10-11-10 02:15 PM
    The kid works fast (as previously noted by Dev Team). It's now in RC1 and out of Beta.
    10-11-10 03:39 PM
    I just tried to JB my ip4 and its not working, i tried again and again and still no cydia or limera1n icons! anybody have any help to offer??
    10-12-10 05:37 PM
    I just tried to JB my ip4 and its not working, i tried again and again and still no cydia or limera1n icons! anybody have any help to offer??
    Try Greenpois0n.

greenpois0n - Mmmm...pois0n
    10-12-10 05:39 PM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD