ok so i just got rid of my blackberry unlocked bold and sold it to a guy who has t-mobile. He traded me for an apple iphone 3G with software 3.1.2 on it. The phone is unlocked and was working when we met, I put in my sim card and now it is saying invalid sim card, (please insert a valid sim card with no PIN lock on it to activate your phone though itines). My sim card is good, I even went to att and got another one and still doesnt work. I'm literally new to the iphone so I need some help!!!. Thanks

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-16-09 08:16 AM
    Im no iPhone expert but this is where I would start:

1) Try as it stated and hook up iPhone to iTunes on your PC. If you dont have it, download it via apple.com

2) Call Att and if they cant help you, have them connect you to Apple support

3) If there is a Apple store in your area, log on to Apple.com and make a appt with the genius bar.

Maybe there will be some iphone experts that will come and give some better advice but at least start with that
    10-16-09 11:31 AM
    Im no iPhone expert but this is where I would start:

1) Try as it stated and hook up iPhone to iTunes on your PC. If you dont have it, download it via apple.com

2) Call Att and if they cant help you, have them connect you to Apple support

3) If there is a Apple store in your area, log on to Apple.com and make a appt with the genius bar.

First of all thank you for replying...(seems there is nobody here anymore lol). I did try hooking it up to my pc and itunes says that it cannot activate due to it not being a invalid sim card. I already got a new one and still having the same issue? is it because it was jailbreaked to work on t-mobile. It does have 3.1.2 software on it.

Maybe there will be some iphone experts that will come and give some better advice but at least start with that

10-16-09 12:39 PM
    Did you ask your carrier to activate your data plan for the iPhone? If you go to your carrier's store, I'm sure they can activate the SIM for you.
    10-17-09 10:26 AM
    Did you ask your carrier to activate your data plan for the iPhone? If you go to your carrier's store, I'm sure they can activate the SIM for you.
    Yes I did get the data plan for the iphone. My sim was already activated, just took it out of a blackberry and put it in the iphone. I have tried a restore using itunes, and always seem to get error 1604. Now my phone is not only unusable, its stuck in DFU mode. So i need help!!

P.S. I have the latest version of itunes, and have downloaded the att release 3.1.2. but still same thing with errors.

10-17-09 11:43 AM
    Yes I did get the data plan for the iphone. My sim was already activated, just took it out of a blackberry and put it in the iphone. I have tried a restore using itunes, and always seem to get error 1604. Now my phone is not only unusable, its stuck in DFU mode. So i need help!!

P.S. I have the latest version of itunes, and have downloaded the att release 3.1.2. but still same thing with errors.

I'm no expert in iPhones, as I just got one myself about 3 weeks ago, so I can't help much. Why don't you go onto theiphoneblog.com, and ask in their Help forum. Maybe someone there can help you, as it is a more active iPhone forum.
    10-17-09 01:35 PM
    blackberry sim and iphone sim are different.
    10-17-09 06:36 PM
    no offense but i dissagree. I got a new sim card and still didnt work. No difference in a bb aim or an iphone sim.

10-17-09 07:24 PM
    blackberry sim and iphone sim are different.
    the sims are the same , in regards to that error it sounds like when yall met the iphone was on a differnt OS , and then he updated the iphone which relocked the phone . do u have an icon call cydia ?
    10-17-09 07:28 PM
    the only icon i notice is a little white lock at the top. Otherwise its got the scroll for emergency calls. And the message insert a valid sim with no pin lock. In the background it has the usb and itunes icons. I think all of this is normal but the lock icon. How do i get rid of that and activate it

10-17-09 08:11 PM
    yea physically the same but the coding is different
    10-18-09 06:21 AM
    yea physically the same but the coding is different
    well i went to att and they even tried a dummy sim along with my wifes lg sim and still the same thing.

10-18-09 08:14 AM
    well i went to att and they even tried a dummy sim along with my wifes lg sim and still the same thing.

Did you try bringing it to an Apple store to see if they could help?
    10-18-09 08:27 AM
    Did you try bringing it to an Apple store to see if they could help?
    Well i actually live in springfield, missouri but am at an apple iphone store right now. I drove all the way to leawood Kansas so hopefully they can help me or even replace the current phone that i have.

10-18-09 01:18 PM
    Well i actually live in springfield, missouri but am at an apple iphone store right now. I drove all the way to leawood Kansas so hopefully they can help me or even replace the current phone that i have.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.
    10-18-09 01:59 PM
    ok so i just got rid of my blackberry unlocked bold and sold it to a guy who has t-mobile. He traded me for an apple iphone 3G with software 3.1.2 on it. The phone is unlocked and was working when we met, I put in my sim card and now it is saying invalid sim card, (please insert a valid sim card with no PIN lock on it to activate your phone though itines). My sim card is good, I even went to att and got another one and still doesnt work. I'm literally new to the iphone so I need some help!!!. Thanks

the problem is with the iphones baseband firmware. there is NO unlock right now for an iphone that is on 3.1.2. in order to unlock, you have to jailbreak. now your phone may be jailbroken, but its not unlocked. if you go into an apple store, they are going to see that its jailbroken, and tell you there is nothing you can do. the developers of the "jailbreak" software warned people not to upgrade to 3.1.2 if they wanted to be able to use different sims in their iphones. i'm not sure there is much you can do at this point. if you have a mac, i think pwnage allows you to create a custom ipsw, but i'm not for sure.

just in case you didnt know already, but jailbreaking allows the iphone to run software different from just what apple wants you to run off the app store. unlocking a phone allows you to use a different sim than att if you live in the us. which you do. i'm guessing like i said earlier, that this is your problem.
    10-18-09 02:13 PM
    On the iPhone

if you look down near the center of the page, you'll see the warning about the unlock.
    10-18-09 02:16 PM
    Good luck, and let us know how it goes.
    Well I first wanna say thanks to those who all helped me and wanted to let everyone know that it was in fact the sim reader. I ended up getting a free replacement 3g so it was worth the six hour drive lol. so far I love it just wAnting to know which fir
    ware gives the best battery life and all. Btw I
    on 3.1

10-18-09 08:52 PM
    Well I first wanna say thanks to those who all helped me and wanted to let everyone know that it was in fact the sim reader. I ended up getting a free replacement 3g so it was worth the six hour drive lol. so far I love it just wAnting to know which fir
    on 3.1

Glad they took care of you. Download 3.1.2 from iTunes if you're not gonna jailbreak it. It's the latest and greatest.
    10-18-09 10:38 PM
    Glad they took care of you. Download 3.1.2 from iTunes if you're not gonna jailbreak it. It's the latest and greatest.
    What is jailbreaking??? what are its advantages...disadvantages???

10-19-09 10:16 AM
    What is jailbreaking??? what are its advantages...disadvantages???

Read about it here:
    http://forum.theiphoneblog.com/iphon...-3-9-09-a.html
    10-19-09 01:40 PM
    on 3.1

Glad to hear Apple took care of you. They have excellent customer service. Gllad your up and running
    10-19-09 01:48 PM
    on 3.1

wait, you bought an unlocked iphone, which had to be jailbroken, if it was being used on tmobile intially. went to an apple store and got a replacement? WOW!!!!!!!!! that is crazy! good job. i still think that maybe the jailbreak had something to do with it, but hey, you gots a new one so thats all that matters.
    10-19-09 03:28 PM
    wait, you bought an unlocked iphone, which had to be jailbroken, if it was being used on tmobile intially. went to an apple store and got a replacement? WOW!!!!!!!!! that is crazy! good job. i still think that maybe the jailbreak had something to do with it, but hey, you gots a new one so thats all that matters.
    well i thought it was the jailbreaking thing too, but it wouldn't read any sim card, not even another iphones card let along an att dummy sim card. But they tested it at the apple store in kansas and said that it was the sim reader.

10-20-09 06:56 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD