Exclusive: The future of the iPad 2, iPhone 5, and Apple TV, and why Apple is shifting its mobile line to Qualcomm chipsets -- Engadget

I hope this ends up being true. I'm crossing my fingers that Verizon will have the iPhone 5 the same time AT&T does this summer.

I'm going to hold off purchasing the VZW iPhone 4.
    01-14-11 11:32 PM
    Yeah, and make note that not even Apple is producing for the LTE/ 4G network yet. Gee, maybe they don't want the backlash of making something only a few folks can use yet, either.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-14-11 11:50 PM
    I'm not familiar with the Qualcomm chipsets or how it's better than the current used in iphones and ipads. Anyone with more info regarding the tech-hocus pocus on this topic?
    01-15-11 12:31 AM
    I'm not familiar with the Qualcomm chipsets or how it's better than the current used in iphones and ipads. Anyone with more info regarding the tech-hocus pocus on this topic?
    I'm not sure about any hocus pocus, but if what the article says is true, Apple will only produce one version of the iPhone going forward. There won't be a GSM and CDMA version. One piece of hardware that can run on all the networks.

This is good because hopefully Apple will release a new iPhone every year for both AT&T and Verizon at the same time. Would be a simple matter of carrier choice. Now everyone knows that Apple pretty much wears the pants in the relationship when it comes to their devices. The carriers basically cater to Steve Jobs only for the satisfaction of being able to sell the device through their service. So we should all hope Mr. Jobs doesn't care for any grace period where lets say AT&T gets the iPhone 5 for sale for a certain amount of time before Verizon does. Apple usually likes to wow and make their customers and fans happy, so come this summer I'm hoping to see Steve Jobs unveil the iPhone 5, go silent for a second, and then announce it will be available on AT&T and Verizon on the very same day, loud round of applause and cheers from the crowd.

What would the big deal be anyways? It's one piece of hardware, so if you decide to purchase it at an Apple store all you have to do is tell them what carrier to activate it on. No need to wait for different variants of the device to work on one carrier versus another. This is a theory at this point but I don't see it not working out this way. AT&T gets the iPhone every July, no if's and's or but's. So if iPhone 5 with a chipset that does double duty as CDMA and GSM isn't ready for release, that means it's not going to be ready for AT&T. If it's ready for AT&T, no reason why it can't work on Verizon at the same time. Catch my drift?

Only thing is what's going to happen to all the people locked into new contracts come February because they had to grab an iPhone 4? Will Apple and Verizon run an early upgrade program after only 6 months? Or will it be a case of, "you wanted it now, you gotta wait"? Unless of course you have the money to burn, it obviously won't matter what contract you're locked into at the time lol.
    Last edited by Mr. Marco; 01-15-11 at 01:33 AM.
    01-15-11 01:21 AM
    Apple is switching to Qualcomm for chips.
    Qualcomm currently makes “world chips” in Blackberry world phones that support CDMA and GSM. They is no technical reason why Apple cannot make a sinngle phone for all carriers.

CDMA phone would be locked to carrier by ESN. GSM locked by software.
    Same thing RIM does.
    01-15-11 09:20 PM
    ahem, cough, couch bs!!! Since you believe what is written above, I have some swamp land in Florida that you can buy!!!

I have exclusive proof the Qualcomm chip won't be in the Iphone 5. I can't revel my sources, but it is true.

Be good and believe in the information I provide because it is the truth!
    01-16-11 07:50 AM
    ahem, cough, couch bs!!! Since you believe what is written above, I have some swamp land in Florida that you can buy!!!

I have exclusive proof the Qualcomm chip won't be in the Iphone 5. I can't revel my sources, but it is true.

Be good and believe in the information I provide because it is the truth!

LMAO wow.....
    01-16-11 07:58 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD