So I am thinking of replacing my HTC HD2 with an iPhone 4. I currently live in Europe (Cyprus).

I have a friend who will be travelling at the end of the month to the US and Canada, and can purchase an iPhone 4 for me. Thus, I have the following questions:

1) Is it possible to purchase an UNLOCKED iPhone 4 from the US? I believe they are all locked to AT&T, even the ones at full price without a contract.

If I bought one of these phones without contract, can I easily obtain an unlock code from AT&T? Or do I have to wait for a jailbreak?

2) Are the iPhone 4's from North America compatible with the European 3G frequencies? In Cyprus we use GSM 900/1800.

I believe in older phones, there was a difference in the frequency used for 3G and thus 3G would not be fully functional in Europe.

Thanks in advance for your responses.
    07-14-10 01:05 AM
    All are locked on AT&T. There is an unlock
    that is coming to the iPhone 4, but I think
    it is too much of a hassle to remember to
    not upgrade or upgrade a special way to
    avoid re-locking the device. It's better to
    purchase factory unlocked ones or wait
    for it to reach your area. AT&T nor Apple
    provide unlock codes as it isn't like BB as
    unlock codes do not exist on iPhone
    devices.

Is that the frequency you use for 3G or
    EDGE? It is Quadband for both EDGE
    and 3G. For 3G, the frequencies are
    850, 900, 1900 and 2100. For EDGE, it is
    850, 900, 1800, 1900.
    07-14-10 01:15 AM
    Duvi, the GSM network here is 900/1800 from what I was told. Don't know what the HSDPA network frequencies are, I assume they are the same as the rest of Europe. I use CYTA as my provider.

Too bad for the AT&T not providing an unlock. Canada seems like they will have unlocked iPhone 4's for sale, although the due date is not set yet. Hopefully by the end of the month.

Thanks for your response.
    07-14-10 01:53 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD