iMessage: iPhone 5 release date attracts BlackBerry users as RIM folds : Beatweek Magazine

BlackBerry users who didn�t already get the message that their platform is crumbling even as Apple looks to woo them with the forthcoming launch of the iPhone 5 now have additional evidence which should serve to drive the iMessage home. RIM, the company which makes BlackBerry, just laid off more than ten percent of its workforce even at a time when the overall smartphone market is booming. That�s a sign that RIM, which is a comparatively tiny company in comparison to smartphone competitors like Apple, Google, and Microsoft, is in a uniquely self-created mess. It�s also a sign that the BlackBerry line of phones, which an increasing number of longtime users have begun to decry as being outdated once they get a look at the iPhone 4 their friends are using, is no longer a safe bet for users when it comes to investing in another BlackBerry phone along with BlackBerry-specific apps which they won�t be able to take with them if and when the RIM ship sinks.

But Apple isn�t banking on BlackBerry refugees choosing the iPhone 5 over other options like the Android or Windows Phone 7 by default. Multiple steps are being taken by the iPhone maker in order to court BlackBerry users. The most blatant of which is the launch of an iOS 5 feature called iMessenger, a service which is meant to be a replacement for the �BlackBerry Messenger� service which RIM offers to its users. While very few non-BlackBerry users have any knowledge of this service or have even so much as heard of it, some BlackBerry users have cited it as their primary remaining reason for sticking with RIM. By launching iMessenger even as most outside the RIM world are merely shrugging at it, Apple is making a clear play for getting BlackBerry users to switch to the iPhone 5 with this feature.

There are other moves involved as well. While current BlackBerry users are spread out among all four major U.S. carriers, the iPhone was long tied strictly to AT&T. This prevented most outbound BlackBerry users from moving to the iPhone without changing carriers, and many of them ended up on Android as a result while others opted to remain with BlackBerry until the iPhone finally finds its way to their carrier. Apple has solved more than half that problem by setting up Verizon to have the iPhone 5 from day one after having soft-launched the iPhone 4 on Verizon a few months ago. And while Sprint and T-Mobile are small enough that they don�t have as many customers as Verizon combined, Apple may still need to expand the iPhone 5 to both of them in order to ensure that BlackBerry users who are ready to divorce RIM end up with an iPhone 5 instead of an Android, which is already available in various variants on all four carriers.

As to the final piece of the BlackBerry puzzle, the one in which users swear they�ll never be able to leave their physical thumb-board keyboard behind, Apple has an iMessage of a different kind: get over it. Former BlackBerry users who�ve found their way to the iPhone have generally concluded that the iPhone�s virtual keyboard is more sophisticated and modern tool than the tiny physical keys embedded into the BlackBerry, and after a brief period of adjustment, have been just fine in time. In other words, those looking for Apple to add a physical keyboard to the iPhone 5 are as outdated in their thinking as RIM is in its products. Here�s more on the iPhone 5.
    07-26-11 01:04 PM
    All I can say is it is lightning fast. No more pins needed it automatically know if the other user has iOS5.
    07-26-11 03:22 PM
    Watch your back, RIM... what's the over/under on when Apple sues for exclusive use of the word "Messenger" in the very near future?
    07-26-11 03:44 PM
    It sealed the deal for me.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-27-11 11:52 AM
    Didn't for me.
    07-27-11 11:54 AM
    The only thing I hate is that it's not integrated into an app where you have a friends
    list with avatars and status messages.
    07-27-11 01:52 PM
    iMessage: iPhone 5 release date attracts BlackBerry users as RIM folds : Beatweek Magazine

BlackBerry users who ...Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah..That�s a sign that RIM, which is a comparatively Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah.. iMessenger, a service which is meant to be a replacement for the �BlackBerry Messenger�Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah..

As to the final piece of the BlackBerry puzzle, Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah.. Here�s more on the iPhone 5. Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah..
    I edited your post for content.
    07-27-11 10:10 PM
    Lol who says bb users don't have a sense of humor?
    07-27-11 10:34 PM
    I edited your post for content.
    And your editing was right on point as that is what the CO-CEO's of RIM hear.....while their company goes into the crapper.
    Last edited by Accidental Post; 07-28-11 at 07:36 AM.
    jclif likes this.
    07-28-11 06:28 AM
    Get over it?? No! Oh whoopie imessage is all I needed to switch........NO!
    07-28-11 06:52 AM
    And your editing was right on point as that is what the CO-CEO's of RIM hear.....while their company goes into the crapper.
    Right they must have caught it from apple.
    07-28-11 08:34 AM
    Your "number of post" to "like" ratio isn't looking so good.
    Maybe I should edit your content.
    Last edited by RetroAndreas; 07-28-11 at 08:46 AM.
    07-28-11 08:40 AM
    I don't gauge my life on how many likes or thanks I get based on my post count. And maybe you should just go away...TROLL
    FigureThisOut and jclif like this.
    07-28-11 09:19 AM
    Right they must have caught it from apple.
    That's funny considering Apple has more money in the bank than this friggin'country..........
    Apple, iPhone and iPad Forums at ModMyi - Apple Has More Cash Reserves Than The US Government Does Operating Expenses
    07-29-11 01:07 PM
    That's funny considering Apple has more money in the bank than this friggin'country..........
    Apple, iPhone and iPad Forums at ModMyi - Apple Has More Cash Reserves Than The US Government Does Operating Expenses
    Forget apple, Bill Gates, Warren Buffet, etc. has more money than the country.
    07-29-11 01:41 PM
    At least do your homework:

2 Bill Gates $56.0 billion
    3 Warren Buffett $50.0 billion

US govt: $73.768 Billion
    Apple:$75.876 Billion
    voyager01 and jclif like this.
    07-29-11 02:56 PM
    That's what I said Bill + Warren more than fed.
    07-29-11 03:30 PM
    soooooooo we have to add two people together to beat apple? get real TROLL.
    07-29-11 03:52 PM
    Don't mind i7guy he does this all the time.

Btw i7 do you want to add your etc..... Worth too. At least of your gonna try to change what you said edit your post.

Last edited by Accidental Post; 07-29-11 at 04:32 PM.
    07-29-11 04:29 PM
    No you didn't. The way you typed it you said that Gates and Buffet both have more money than the government. You didn't say combined.

Forget apple, Bill Gates, Warren Buffet, etc. has more money than the country.

I knew what you meant though so I'm just playing around.
    07-29-11 05:41 PM
    soooooooo we have to add two people together to beat apple? get real TROLL.
    Sez the guy with 27 posts.
    07-30-11 03:08 PM
    Sez the guy with 27 posts.
    Yes, we all know post count dictates your status on CB.

The top poster on CB right now joined in June 2011 and it is about to be August and he has over 1000 posts. What do you call him?
    07-30-11 03:12 PM
    Don't mind i7guy he does this all the time.

Btw i7 do you want to add your etc..... Worth too. At least of your gonna try to change what you said edit your post.

After my property taxes and college there isn't much left.
    07-30-11 03:26 PM
    Yes, we all know post count dictates your status on CB.

The top poster on CB right now joined in June 2011 and it is about to be August and he has over 1000 posts. What do you call him?
    Verbose, lol.
    07-30-11 03:27 PM
    Verbose, lol.
    lol. I can agree to that.
    07-30-11 03:29 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD