I don't have a problem with spam SMS because iMessage has allowed me to disable/block SMS entirely and save $240 per year. That many people i know use iMessage! Google voice handles the 1 or 2 sms that I do get and those are easily blocked using GV.

Sent from my iPhone4s using Tapatalk
    I wonder if Google Voice will ever make it outside North America
    01-06-12 11:57 AM
    One of those i hate the most are those club guestlist for going into clubs. Once the club promoter has your details they send you a text or BBM or email every weekend. I always just add them to the blocked/blacklist and it's straight blocking!
    I just answer and very abruptly tell them I'm not interested lol, but with sms they ask you to reply "STOP" which only makes them send you more lol. Block is better.
    Yea I barely ever get those messages. Maybe once every 5 months. I just type STOP and end it right there lol.
    Imessage on Iphone is obviously a failure. I remember when ifanboys called it the BBM killer hahahaha. lol

http://forums.tipb.com/ios-5-forum/2...-imessage.html
    That would be funny if they had an outage.
    01-06-12 05:57 PM
    I have had my cell number for 12 years. I don't give it out to people who may be stalkers. Lol. I would hope you're more careful than to do that too. I guess that comes with age, not randomingly posting your number or giving it out at a bar.

Bar codes, facebook? No. I don't need social networking with my friends and family. I call them, email them personally, text or gasp...even visit them In real life. Remember real life? As opposed to virtual.

I don't know anyone in my contacts that has changed number in the past 10 years.
    I spent most of Christmas with my family so yes i do know what resl life is.

You don't need social with friends or family? Thats what Facebook is for. You can email and text family and friends but using BBM and facebook is wrong? Whats the difference?

James
    01-06-12 07:01 PM
    Facebook is impersonal. It's a wall. I didn't say BBM wasn't a good app. I said I wish it didn't use PINs. Would be nice to be able to use my phone number and not a PIN. Would be nice if it automatically recognized other BlackBerry users too.

That's what I said. Again.

Facebook is the laziest way to pretend to keep in touch, in my opinion. But that doesn't matter.

I hope BBM drops the PIN and implements something more iMessage like.
    01-06-12 07:23 PM
    I think the reason why iMessage should NOT be compared with BBM is because BBM for starters is a lot more "secure". By secure I mean someone needs to have your specific PIN to add you to their list whereas in iMessage they could simply have your phone number. Another reason is that BBM has more features such as groups etc. Id agree with Bla1ze when he said that its more of an SMS replacement rather than a service, also slightly off topic but lets say RIM opened up BBM to other platforms and charged a fee of like 4.99 per month or something of the likes, do you guys think that people would use the service?
    01-06-12 07:46 PM
    Us BBM without having to purchase a blackberry? Of course people would use it. It's one of the main reasons some people I know are sticking with BB. I guess that could also be a reason for RIM not to go cross platform.
    01-06-12 08:10 PM

Lol and I hope Iphone picks up the PIN and implements something like BBM and it drops its full retail price,so that they could consider considerable sales in the Asian countries which are price sensitive.

Generically speaking.....
    At the full retail price of USD 600 for an Iphone 4, one can buy 3 and a half 8520 blackberries or 1 BB, 1 PB and 2 Akash tabs.

Forget the masses, even the classes own Blackberries in India and many other Asian countries.

After 11 pages, I can infer that Iphones rule in N.A and RIM rules in the RoW.
    01-07-12 01:18 AM
    Facebook is impersonal. It's a wall. I didn't say BBM wasn't a good app. I said I wish it didn't use PINs. Would be nice to be able to use my phone number and not a PIN. Would be nice if it automatically recognized other BlackBerry users too.

That's what I said. Again.

Facebook is the laziest way to pretend to keep in touch, in my opinion. But that doesn't matter.

Not gonna happen, you can't give up security for convenience.

I wish people would leave Blackberry be what it is and not wish it to be something else. There's a reason a lot of people still choose BB over other platforms, BB the way it is now.

Facebook might be impersonal but when you have old friends spread all over the world, all in different time zones, it becomes a godsend.

Don't judge everything with a closed mind from your perspective only.
    01-07-12 02:11 AM
    I can judge how I'd like. That's why I included, in my opinion. It's based on my experience. It's also a way to filter who I choose to associate with. I don't like smokers ot Facebook users in general. Lol.

It seems like some people want BlackBerry to remain exactly the same and not change or improve. That's not going to happen. BB10 is going to be a big change.

If RIM keeps doing what they have been, then they won't make it in NA. Yes, maybe in India and Indonesia they will sell well for a while. But that won't last.

I just want to see some innovation with RIM. There's a reason why iPhones are taking over.

The PIN system doesn't work well. I'm not the only one who posted that BBM restore just doesn't work. It would be easier to just use a phone number.
    Last edited by chrisy520; 01-07-12 at 06:20 AM.
    01-07-12 06:18 AM
    I can judge how I'd like. That's why I included, in my opinion. It's based on my experience. It's also a way to filter who I choose to associate with. I don't like smokers ot Facebook users in general. Lol.

It seems like some people want BlackBerry to remain exactly the same and not change or improve. That's not going to happen. BB10 is going to be a big change.

If RIM keeps doing what they have been, then they won't make it in NA. Yes, maybe in India and Indonesia they will sell well for a while. But that won't last.

I just want to see some innovation with RIM. There's a reason why iPhones are taking over.

The PIN system doesn't work well. I'm not the only one who posted that BBM restore just doesn't work. It would be easier to just use a phone number.
    Why don't you just buy the phone that suits your needs now instead of wishing and waiting on Rim to change? If Rim will change the way you want it they would loose me as a customer(and many others probably) while they're gaining you. But right now you're asking Rim to give up on its strongest feature, security.

Edit BB10 is not replacing BBOS, not for a few years anyway so us the old fashion BB fans don't have to make that choice yet just because BB10 is coming out.
    Last edited by belfastdispatcher; 01-07-12 at 07:19 AM.
    01-07-12 07:16 AM
    Because I like BlackBerry. Just because I'd like to see a few changes doesn't mean I don't. Why can't I hope for some new features? I like BlackBerry OS, features, size, LED.

Security I don't mind. I don't think using a phone number instead of PIN would compromise that.

All I said was I didn't like the use of PINs and like how iMessage handles it. Why is that causing drama with you?
    01-07-12 07:21 AM
    As for BB10, I think a lot of old school BlackBerry users won't like it. I may not like it. I guess in some ways it's good a BB10 device insnt coming out til 2013.
    01-07-12 07:22 AM
    Because I like BlackBerry. Just because I'd like to see a few changes doesn't mean I don't. Why can't I hope for some new features? I like BlackBerry OS, features, size, LED.

Security I don't mind. I don't think using a phone number instead of PIN would compromise that.

All I said was I didn't like the use of PINs and like how iMessage handles it. Why is that causing drama with you?
    Lol, no drama, but you don't understand that you can't have what you want without compromising the security and anonymity of BBM. Sure it will be easier, I get that but BBM is based too much on security to risk that, take PINs away and people will move on to something else.

Bottom line, Rim would be trading the bird in their hand for the two in the bush lol
    01-07-12 07:34 AM
    As for BB10, I think a lot of old school BlackBerry users won't like it. I may not like it. I guess in some ways it's good a BB10 device insnt coming out til 2013.
    Yep, I agree with this, Rim is well and trully stuck in between old and future customers, can't please both with one device/OS
    01-07-12 07:36 AM
    I would trade whatever security a PIN offers to be able to use my cell numbe. But that's just me.
    01-07-12 07:50 AM
    I would trade whatever security a PIN offers to be able to use my cell numbe. But that's just me.
    That isn't needed. Itis very easy to text someone with using their phone number. If you both have Blackberry phones you could switch to that very easy. One person can text mypin and their pin will pop up. Its that easy. I don't see a reason to change.

James
    01-07-12 08:33 AM
    also slightly off topic but lets say RIM opened up BBM to other platforms and charged a fee of like 4.99 per month or something of the likes, do you guys think that people would use the service?
    No. There are too many free alternatives. People already pay $20 per month for SMS, a very small fraction will pay extra to use BBM especially with its outage history. If it was free that would be a different story but I'd avoid it as long as it used a pin system.

01-08-12 06:16 PM
    No. There are too many free alternatives. People already pay $20 per month for SMS, a very small fraction will pay extra to use BBM especially with its outage history. If it was free that would be a different story but I'd avoid it as long as it used a pin system.

Agreed. No way I am going to pay for a service I barely ever used when I owned a BB.
    01-08-12 06:27 PM
    Agreed. No way I am going to pay for a service I barely ever used when I owned a BB.
    Exactly. I had at most 5 BBM contacts at any given time. For the last 2 years it was down to 1. I have more KIK contacts.

01-08-12 06:36 PM
    Exactly. I had at most 5 BBM contacts at any given time. For the last 2 years it was down to 1. I have more KIK contacts.

I had about 10 IRL contacts on there, and 15 CB contacts. I only messaged about 5 total people on that list daily. The people I know IRL have all moved on from BB to Android or iOS.
    01-08-12 06:40 PM
    I had about 10 IRL contacts on there, and 15 CB contacts. I only messaged about 5 total people on that list daily. The people I know IRL have all moved on from BB to Android or iOS.
    Same. BBM means nothing to me since everyone I know who used to use a BlackBerry has already made the switch.
    01-10-12 07:56 AM
    It's the integration that makes iMessage a success on the iPhone. Apple didn't make it a separate app, it's a feature within the Messages app. It makes perfect sense to integrate directly within the stream of SMS and MMS messages you get. This way you don't have to remember who is on what, the phone just switches to iMessage if you have it enabled and it can.
    jebulls likes this.
    01-10-12 12:41 PM
    It's the integration that makes iMessage a success on the iPhone. Apple didn't make it a separate app, it's a feature within the Messages app. It makes perfect sense to integrate directly within the stream of SMS and MMS messages you get. This way you don't have to remember who is on what, the phone just switches to iMessage if you have it enabled and it can.
    Yes. This is excatly why I love iMessage!
    jebulls likes this.
    01-10-12 03:17 PM
238 ... 56789 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD