Works with an email address too. All you have to do is ask them.

Seriously though how many contacts do you have a PIN for but not a phone number? Not including people you met anonymously on a swapping site

Sent from my iPhone4s using Tapatalk
    Quite a few, since I and many others have multiple sim cards for various countries. I have 5. CZ, USA, Germany, Austria and Slovakia.
    My BBM stays the same always, always allowing my friends/family/colleagues instant access, no matter what number i am using.
    01-06-12 12:33 AM
    iMessage is for people who have 50 sms icluted in their plan, and who use sms between iUsers mostly free of charge over wifi (whitch is almost anywhere now) with the new pay as you go data options. And i think that it will hurt rim.
    01-06-12 12:40 AM
    Yes. I do wish BBM didn't require DM too. IMessage is just easier. Hopefully RIM will work on creating and enhancing it's ecosystem so that it's not such a hassle.

I'd like to see BBM cross platform too.
    thats never going to happen because BBM runs through rim data towers , encryption you could say , for anything , and because of it , when i go on a business trip i can use it to freely on any site anywhere in the world . a convenience that isn't share on a local level but an international level . bbm is international and can not be monitor by countries that restrict access to the information that we are freely allowed to access . then again , smartphones are very much different in the infrastructures that create them . blackberry has their own priorities and will not let a single business that is under them fall under unwarranted eyes . whereas iphones and androids and whatsoever providers runs through their data towers watchfully and monitored . something not very keen at corporate level

by the way , lazy is what i see for someone that complains anytime something happens to their pc , they're way too lazy to see what is the problem or research it , thats why wiki , or google was invented . to learn , to make things easier , not for people to get lazy . if you complain about one thing , just leave it and let it run its natural course , not like anything or any one is stopping you from using a "outdated" software which happens to make multitasking and everything in my life seem like it takes only seconds .
    Last edited by suot.doi; 01-06-12 at 12:57 AM.
    01-06-12 12:52 AM
    iMessage is for people who have 50 sms icluted in their plan, and who use sms between iUsers mostly free of charge over wifi (whitch is almost anywhere now) with the new pay as you go data options. And i think that it will hurt rim.
    i doubt rims going to hurt really , its just americans , because of "their god given rightousness" to say whatever they do , the whole of the world must be wrong . i'm going to bluntly say it here , american is iphone nation , the rest of europe and asia well - they are blackberry , compare that on an international level how many people populate a country ..
    01-06-12 01:00 AM
    I can honestly say that I didn't like nor did I use BBM. My husband, mom and sister as well as about 10 friends all had BBs and I can count on one hand how many times I used it. We all sent texts instead with the exception of my mother. I didn't like it when my mother would harass me because I didn't immediately respond because "she knew I read it". I also don't think it's particularly smart to put your pin on Facebook or in the pin sharing threads here. It's asking for trouble. I am a heavy user of SMS as I loathe talking on the phone (working in a call centre for 10 years does that to you) but I have never understood the cult like following BBM has, even when I loved my BB.

Truth be told I couldn't care less about iMessage either. If it was all text messaging I'd be fine.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk
    01-06-12 01:00 AM
    i doubt rims going to hurt really , its just americans , because of "their god given rightousness" to say whatever they do , the whole of the world must be wrong . i'm going to bluntly say it here , american is iphone nation , the rest of europe and asia well - they are blackberry , compare that on an international level how many people populate a country ..
    You do realize that Apple sells more iPhones outside of the US than inside, right? And Apple's sell-through outside the US for the current quarter is expected to be quite a bit more than RIM's sell through outside the US. And that's not even including iPod Touch or iPad.

The whole "Apple is only popular in the US" meme is falling apart pretty quickly.
    01-06-12 01:18 AM
    Why debating about if iMessage or BBM is better? BBM is BB-exclusive, iMessage is iPhone-exclusive...does it make you feel better to bash the other platform??

Aside from that, I think nowadays most people use Whatsapp anyway to communicate with friends on different platforms...exclusive-only messengers are so limiting, although I like using BBM with friends who have a BB (but only 3 people)
    01-06-12 02:36 AM
    I still think of it as a messaging service and a social network. I like the idea of private pins and all the options I have within BBM.
    The next version of BBM can just copy iMessage. Just embed some BlackBerry specific data into the SMS stream. Then depending on the users' respective security settings either prompt the users or auto authorize cross BBM comms. Done.

I'd be surprised if this is not already in BB 10.
    01-06-12 02:41 AM
    I thought you had to use your Apple I D email address.
    No you can assign whatever email you want to that you have in addition to your apple id
    01-06-12 03:10 AM
    No you can assign whatever email you want to that you have in addition to your apple id
    So you do have to use your Apple I D but you can add others too, how is that a no to my question, lol?
    01-06-12 03:23 AM
    Although I understand the desire to p*ss all over iPhonists and Apple lovers, especially due to some of the blatant misinformation projected by iFans, at some point one group has to grow up and say: "yeah, it's got it's problems, ours does too sometimes. Next"

Just my opinion though.

Si.
    JBenn911 likes this.
    01-06-12 04:41 AM
    Learn to use your BBM, it has its own backup OTA and local for a few years now.
    If you've used this then you know it rarely works to transfer your BBM contacts. I've had 3 BlackBerry devices and two replacement devices. That's quite a few PINS and the BBM transfers worked once.
    xandermac likes this.
    01-06-12 05:11 AM
    If you've used this then you know it rarely works to transfer your BBM contacts. I've had 3 BlackBerry devices and two replacement devices. That's quite a few PINS and the BBM transfers worked once.
    Works without fail every single time for me, one important thing is though to restore emails first before you attempt to restore BBM, if you don't then the whole process will be messed up. This applies to other services too, Protect, Podcasts, BB News etc.

Restoring emails first is a must.
    01-06-12 05:17 AM
    Worked a handful of times for me in countless device switches. Everything else, Email, Contact/Calendar sync, AppWorld etc. switches easily but the BBM email restore is hit or miss, mainly miss. FYI, I always transfer mt email 1st and let contact/cal activation complete before trying BBM restore.

Works without fail every single time for me, one important thing is though to restore emails first before you attempt to restore BBM, if you don't then the whole process will be messed up. This applies to other services too, Protect, Podcasts, BB News etc.

Restoring emails first is a must.
    01-06-12 06:42 AM
    So you do have to use your Apple I D but you can add others too, how is that a no to my question, lol?
    My sons iPod uses only his email address, not my apple ID
    01-06-12 07:21 AM
    Worked a handful of times for me in countless device switches. Everything else, Email, Contact/Calendar sync, AppWorld etc. switches easily but the BBM email restore is hit or miss, mainly miss. FYI, I always transfer mt email 1st and let contact/cal activation complete before trying BBM restore.
    When's the last time you tried it? I did it 6-7 times while messing about with different leaks on my 9900 and never failed.
    01-06-12 07:24 AM
    BBM restore never works for me. I've always had to send new request to people. I get text messages all the time from people with their new pin numbers because they got a new phone.
    01-06-12 07:49 AM
    My sons iPod uses only his email address, not my apple ID
    Same with my mom's iPhone. She never set up an Apple ID. She's probably never heard that term. She uses iMessage.

I guess too, it would just be easier for me to have an iPhone because my entire family has them. Most friends do as well.
    pri79269 likes this.
    01-06-12 08:02 AM
    The Imessage so-called seamless recognition of contacts on who has Imessage or not, is infact = Whatsapp seamless recognition of your contacts on who has Whatsapp or not. The advantage Whatsapp has over Imessage though is you can block a contact if they plss you off (They see you online but cant send you messages).

For the record - I think BB should include the Whatsapp block function with the added function of "block future invitations from contact" (already exist on BB's) just incase you wanted to get rid of them totally. The Pin, for me.. is just as easy as asking for a phone number so nothing long there. When i switch phones once i sign with my BBID all BBM contacts and groups are restored automatically. No need to re-invite anyone.

Another very similar app we have on BB that works like Imessage is CrunchSMS which is also on Iphone and Android devices. It sends normal texts but also if your number is registered with Textfreek (a CrunchSMS service) you can SMS other Textfreek users for free and it uses data not the Carrier. It also scans your contacts to see if any of your friends are Textfreek registered so you can message them.. other wise it will only allow normal text. Sounds a bit like Imessage right? Funny enough it even has the exact bubble format as Iphone and sends emoji's compatible with Iphone and not on most others (BB inclusive). If only CrunchSMS had marketed the Textfreek thing better and emphasized free messaging they could have done really well like whatsapp. Problem is they marketed it as just a text app. For all you know they could be the original idea/inspiration behind the Imessage idea.

All I'm saying is the way Imessage works a lot of Iphone die hard's won't accept that these things have been in place for ages... on Blackberry. It's nothing new.. ya'll just need to look around you.

Now all that mumbo jumbo about needing to register either the number or email or apple ID.. or messages sent to two or more devices bcos they all use same Apple ID (Wifey can't be seeing my messages yo).. or when u switch phones you have to go on some site and de-register your tel# or email etc.. or not sure if message delivered, read, mistakenly send an international text and whatnot.. It's all just long to me.

Keep the debate going tho.. enjoying the clash of opinions. I'm learning..
    Last edited by BlackB_G; 01-06-12 at 09:01 AM.
    01-06-12 08:49 AM
    FYI, in iMessage mode you are not restricted to 160 characters as you are for SMS.
    01-06-12 09:35 AM
    I agree with the above poster, I always prefer a cross platform messaging app anyway. I use Live Profile for almost all my contacts now.
    01-06-12 09:49 AM
    The Imessage so-called seamless recognition of contacts on who has Imessage or not, is infact = Whatsapp seamless recognition of your contacts on who has Whatsapp or not. The advantage Whatsapp has over Imessage though is you can block a contact if they plss you off (They see you online but cant send you messages).

For the record - I think BB should include the Whatsapp block function with the added function of "block future invitations from contact" (already exist on BB's) just incase you wanted to get rid of them totally. The Pin, for me.. is just as easy as asking for a phone number so nothing long there. When i switch phones once i sign with my BBID all BBM contacts and groups are restored automatically. No need to re-invite anyone.

Another very similar app we have on BB that works like Imessage is CrunchSMS which is also on Iphone and Android devices. It sends normal texts but also if your number is registered with Textfreek (a CrunchSMS service) you can SMS other Textfreek users for free and it uses data not the Carrier. It also scans your contacts to see if any of your friends are Textfreek registered so you can message them.. other wise it will only allow normal text. Sounds a bit like Imessage right? Funny enough it even has the exact bubble format as Iphone and sends emoji's compatible with Iphone and not on most others (BB inclusive). If only CrunchSMS had marketed the Textfreek thing better and emphasized free messaging they could have done really well like whatsapp. Problem is they marketed it as just a text app. For all you know they could be the original idea/inspiration behind the Imessage idea.

All I'm saying is the way Imessage works a lot of Iphone die hard's won't accept that these things have been in place for ages... on Blackberry. It's nothing new.. ya'll just need to look around you.

Now all that mumbo jumbo about needing to register either the number or email or apple ID.. or messages sent to two or more devices bcos they all use same Apple ID (Wifey can't be seeing my messages yo).. or when u switch phones you have to go on some site and de-register your tel# or email etc.. or not sure if message delivered, read, mistakenly send an international text and whatnot.. It's all just long to me.

I don't think anyone disputes that it's been in place for ages. At this point nothing is really ever original. As much as I love Apps, I don't want to have to ask my iPhone friends to download the particular app that I use so they can send me message with read receipt, block etc. If they have an iOS device then it just works. No conversation or special request required. I'm "looking around me" and I think it's fabulous that both platforms have a system that works for them. I could really careless if the chicken or the egg came first.
    01-06-12 10:09 AM
    I don't believe anyone ever disputed that other "so-called" messaging systems existed. I personally have whatsapp and KIK on my iPhone. The problem is very few people i know use them or have even heard of them.

Also, I believe that blocking a contact in iMessage is the same procedure you would use to block an SMS contact, it has to be done through the carrier.

01-06-12 11:22 AM
    FYI, in iMessage mode you are not restricted to 160 characters as you are for SMS.
    Yes, and pictures send much faster. I can send 5-8 pictures on iMessage in the amount of time it usually takes one using MMS.
    01-06-12 11:24 AM
    I don't believe anyone ever disputed that other "so-called" messaging systems existed. I personally have whatsapp and KIK on my iPhone. The problem is very few people i know use them or have even heard of them.

Also, I believe that blocking a contact in iMessage is the same procedure you would use to block an SMS contact, it has to be done through the carrier.

Not on a blackberry, it has a built in firewall where you can block them.
    01-06-12 11:25 AM
238 ... 34567 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD