I love the fact that you get a unique PIN kinda like a separate number.
    out of 25 BBM contacts only 16 have my personal number.
    That's a huge plus.
    Yes BBM is often Imitated never duplicated
    01-05-12 06:12 PM
    Imessage on Iphone is obviously a failure. I remember when ifanboys called it the BBM killer hahahaha. lol

http://forums.tipb.com/ios-5-forum/2...-imessage.html
    This thread of yours seems a desperate attempt for some attention.
    01-05-12 06:26 PM
    I wish BBM didn't require a PIN. I like how iMessage just uses your phone number or email address. It's a pain asking for and giving out a PIN.

Also, I like that iMessage defaults to text if iMessage isn't available. Automatically. It's a feature you can turn off but it is handy.

Lastly, iMessage automatically recognizes other iMessage users. Not more asking, "do you have a BlackBerry?"

I also like that iMessage isn't a separate app. I'd like to have all my instant messing in one SMS like app.
    If you meet someone new or someone you know changes their number you have to ask for it. You don't have it. Just like asking for a phone number you can ask for a pin. Or.if you right there with them you scan a bar code and its done. People comment on how easy it is with the scan feature. Also people have put their bar code on facebook and their friends could scan it from home if they wanted to add them.

James
    01-05-12 06:36 PM
    I wish BBM didn't require a PIN. I like how iMessage just uses your phone number or email address. It's a pain asking for and giving out a PIN.

Also, I like that iMessage defaults to text if iMessage isn't available. Automatically. It's a feature you can turn off but it is handy.

Lastly, iMessage automatically recognizes other iMessage users. Not more asking, "do you have a BlackBerry?"

I also like that iMessage isn't a separate app. I'd like to have all my instant messing in one SMS like app.
    i like the fact that if my number "accidentally" was w someone else , that person would have me on imessage and i doubt you can block them . fail !
    01-05-12 06:48 PM
    Well, having just switched from a blackberry after years of use & now seeing what the competition offers I'm going to say that I understand, or that my eyes have opened.

Sent from my iPhone4s using Tapatalk
    simple question for the one w/ eyes opened , how many bbm contacts did you have ? and i bet the reason for the ifad switch is your friends split on berry / android / iphone - am i right ?
    01-05-12 06:58 PM
    Then you ask them for it...?

Sorry, I don't quite get your question. Exchanging phone numbers is no different than exchanging BBM PINs.
    PINs are privacy , someone cant take your PIN , but they can take your number , either a friend of a friends or a co worker or someone on the street you could or may meet , once a person has your number , you can't block them unless you pay to have them blocked , bbm , you can simply just delete them - beta or no - its still flawed in design - its great as an itool :P but poor design
    Last edited by suot.doi; 01-05-12 at 07:04 PM.
    01-05-12 07:01 PM
    i like the fact that if my number "accidentally" was w someone else , that person would have me on imessage and i doubt you can block them . fail !
    Strong argument that.
    01-05-12 07:03 PM
    LoL iMessage a failure. Awe man these threads are just terrible.

?
    01-05-12 07:04 PM
    simple question for the one w/ eyes opened , how many bbm contacts did you have ? and i bet the reason for the ifad switch is your friends split on berry / android / iphone - am i right ?
    I said earlier in this thread that the majority of the people I knew that used the blackberry dumped it.
    01-05-12 07:05 PM
    both have good and bad , i just rather be exclusive and not random on imessage apps . can't stand having to msg bakk or just knowing that person has my imessage and they know i read and know i'm ignoring , i rather just block them haha - or delete - either way i don't have to have such a guilty conscience
    01-05-12 07:06 PM
    I said earlier in this thread that the majority of the people I knew that used the blackberry dumped it.
    sorrie la - well - if i didn't have a berry , i know for sure i'm downgrading bakk to no more data .. there goes my 10GB .. ohh well
    01-05-12 07:08 PM
    If you meet someone new or someone you know changes their number you have to ask for it. You don't have it. Just like asking for a phone number you can ask for a pin. Or.if you right there with them you scan a bar code and its done. People comment on how easy it is with the scan feature. Also people have put their bar code on facebook and their friends could scan it from home if they wanted to add them.

James
    I have had my cell number for 12 years. I don't give it out to people who may be stalkers. Lol. I would hope you're more careful than to do that too. I guess that comes with age, not randomingly posting your number or giving it out at a bar.

Bar codes, facebook? No. I don't need social networking with my friends and family. I call them, email them personally, text or gasp...even visit them In real life. Remember real life? As opposed to virtual.

I don't know anyone in my contacts that has changed number in the past 10 years.
    01-05-12 07:36 PM
    PINs are privacy , someone cant take your PIN , but they can take your number , either a friend of a friends or a co worker or someone on the street you could or may meet , once a person has your number , you can't block them unless you pay to have them blocked , bbm , you can simply just delete them - beta or no - its still flawed in design - its great as an itool :P but poor design
    You really have issues with your number getting out to...who...stalkers? Criminals? Teenages making prank calls?

I don't get it. You might want to choose more trustworthy folk to give your number to!
    Last edited by chrisy520; 01-05-12 at 07:42 PM.
    01-05-12 07:37 PM
    You really have issues with your number getting out to...who...stalkers? Criminals? Teenages making prank calls?

I don't get it. You might want to choose more trustworthy folk to give your number to!
    i'm not as free spirited as you and don't have as much time as you to make friends w people , i don't have as much time to talk to family , i either bbm or text them . or meet up w/ them . time is money , i have a saying , everyday you are not making money , you are losing money .
    01-05-12 07:44 PM
    i'm not as free spirited as you and don't have as much time as you to make friends w people , i don't have as much time to talk to family , i either bbm or text them . or meet up w/ them . time is money , i have a saying , everyday you are not making money , you are losing money .
    Where did I say I have tons of people in my contacts? I said I don't add random people to my BBM or any other messaging service I have.

Therefor I don't worry about people I know having my number. They'll all close friends or family.

I just said I wish BBM didn't use a PIN but my phone number like iMessage. It's a pain to have a new PIN every year or two as opposed to the same contact info for 1e+ years.

IMessage is better in that way. It uses your, and others, existing numbers and automatically recognizes other iMessage users. I wish BBM did that.
    01-05-12 07:50 PM
    Where did I say I have tons of people in my contacts? I said I don't add random people to my BBM or any other messaging service I have.

Therefor I don't worry about people I know having my number. They'll all close friends or family.

I just said I wish BBM didn't use a PIN but my phone number like iMessage. It's a pain to have a new PIN every year or two as opposed to the same contact info for 1e+ years.

IMessage is better in that way. It uses your, and others, existing numbers and automatically recognizes other iMessage users. I wish BBM did that.
    even if you had a new pin , it transfers over when you remember to save your data via desktop manager and your bbm list backed up , you dont' have to keep readd everyone , trust me , i went from berry to berry because i'm addicted to having the latest os .. anyways , if you knew about backing up - you wouldnt' tell me about this problem . sorrie about your berry berry big fustration though
    Last edited by suot.doi; 01-05-12 at 08:20 PM.
    01-05-12 08:00 PM
    Yes. I do wish BBM didn't require DM too. IMessage is just easier. Hopefully RIM will work on creating and enhancing it's ecosystem so that it's not such a hassle.

I'd like to see BBM cross platform too.
    01-05-12 08:46 PM
    I've seen a lot of posters complain about "blatantly false generalizations" when such inflammatory thread titles are used for the Playbook. I wonder where all these posters with the strong sense of fairness are now.
    reeneebob likes this.
    01-05-12 09:24 PM
    even if you had a new pin , it transfers over when you remember to save your data via desktop manager and your bbm list backed up , you dont' have to keep readd everyone , trust me , i went from berry to berry because i'm addicted to having the latest os .. anyways , if you knew about backing up - you wouldnt' tell me about this problem . sorrie about your berry berry big fustration though
    I used 5 or 6 different blackberries at different times. I would swap them out as the mood struck me. There is no need to use DM to switch devices, everything is on the phone to perform the switch. Email setup handles the email, appworld activates your apps and BBM email recovery is supposed to handle BBM. Problem is, everything works ok except BBM switch. I was constantly having to reinvite contacts because the device switch didn't work. I also refuse to use DM just to switch devices. It's pathetic that it is even a recommended option in this day and age. Tether to a PC to change the phone you use!!! If BBM used an email or BBID instead of a PIN it would be as seamless a switch as email or appworld. Unfortunately it doesn't work that way in the real world. Granted I probably wasn't your typical BB user, most would stick to one device rather than 3 different ones in a week but that's what I do and the system should be smart enough to keep up. iMessage email activation works perfectly on all 3 of my iDevices.

I'm thinking that RIM are realizing the the PIN system isn't great when a user has more than 1 device, I think the release of the Playbook showed them that the system is failing and that the BBID system is the future. Then BBM will be seamless when switching devices. Contacts will just need your BBiD rather than a PIN.
    Last edited by xandermac; 01-05-12 at 09:38 PM.
    zzzdamian likes this.
    01-05-12 09:34 PM
    I think it would serve the same purpose like all other communications methods. But their positioning is very different, any Blackberry user would know BBM, however iMessage on the other hand, it's been place like an auto-integrated thing, many people don't realize it. I have friends who uses iPhone don't even know what iMessage is, till explained to them and they are by no means non-tech people.
    app_Developer likes this.
    01-05-12 10:05 PM
    I've seen a lot of posters complain about "blatantly false generalizations" when such inflammatory thread titles are used for the Playbook. I wonder where all these posters with the strong sense of fairness are now.
    If they replaced "iMessage" with "PlayBook" in the title of this thread it would have been closed and deleted after 5 minutes.
    pantlesspenguin and moiselles like this.
    01-05-12 10:30 PM
    Slick double edged sword, anybody that has your phone number can imessage you and you can't stop it. Pins are there for a reason.

Anyway, BBM is no longer a messaging service, it's a social network, I look at it as an exclusive private club
    ...and it's getting more and more exclusive every day.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk
    01-05-12 10:39 PM
    Slick double edged sword, anybody that has your phone number can imessage you and you can't stop it. Pins are there for a reason.

Anyway, BBM is no longer a messaging service, it's a social network, I look at it as an exclusive private club
    That's why you can designate an email address for iMessage and make it the caller ID for iMessage ... Wanna stop it delete the email
    01-05-12 11:52 PM
    Yes. I do wish BBM didn't require DM too. IMessage is just easier. Hopefully RIM will work on creating and enhancing it's ecosystem so that it's not such a hassle.

I'd like to see BBM cross platform too.
    Learn to use your BBM, it has its own backup OTA and local for a few years now.
    01-06-12 12:18 AM
    That's why you can designate an email address for iMessage and make it the caller ID for iMessage ... Wanna stop it delete the email
    I thought you had to use your Apple I D email address.
    01-06-12 12:25 AM
238 ... 23456 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD