Oh. Original. A request to move onto another forum. Don't see that here often. You should be flattered that I still care. Don't let the advertisers hear you shooing people away though.

Happy for you although you seem very active here still, how come? Since your eyes are opened and you have moved on to the competition?
    01-05-12 03:04 PM
    Oh. Original. A request to move onto another forum. Don't see that here often. You should be flattered that I still care. Don't let the advertisers hear you shooing people away though.
    Maybe you should learn to take the hints
    01-05-12 03:06 PM
    Maybe you should learn to take the hints
    And let crackberry end up as a boring place where people aimlessly agree with the company line? What's the fun in that for anyone? I like it here and I like the debates. You don't have to join threads if you don't like opinion. I could be just as juvenile and point out this is a thread about iMessage which you neither use nor understand, and therefore shouldn't be involved with but I won't do that for obvious reasons.

Sent from my iPhone4s using Tapatalk
    Last edited by xandermac; 01-05-12 at 03:12 PM.
    Rickroller likes this.
    01-05-12 03:09 PM
    If a mediocre product like Imessage which in all truth, is simply MMS for Apple devices works for you that's fine. I'm just saying for me, based on the numerous threads i've seen online.. it's a nightmare to get working in the first place.. then it's a nightmare cos you're never sure your messages are sent, delivered or read etc..

SMS and MMS have been around a million years so if they couldn't get that right.. it just straight up sucks. Text on BB and all other phones im sure show the sent and delivered status. MMS on BB show's sent, delivered and you can also get a read receipt. You just have to enable Allow delivery/sent and Request delivery/sent in the SMS/MMS options.

Anyway's.. the bottom line is it's mediocre right now and ya'll are just gonna have to accept the truth... cos the truth sets you free.

#Imjustsaying
    Woah what? There's no way that you have ever used iMessage.

There is no "getting working" it just works automatically when you send a message to another iOS5 device and there's "Delivered" and "Read" notifications right below the message. If the message is in a blue bubble it's an iMessage and if it's in a green bubble it's a text message. This is as opposed to on a BlackBerry where you have to exchange PINs, add them to your contact list and then use a separate application to do the same thing.

Feel free to post your opinions. But I mean seriously, it's completely obvious that you've never once used it.
    Chrisy and Chapdaddy like this.
    01-05-12 03:24 PM
    Woah what? There's no way that you have ever used iMessage.

There is no "getting working" it just works automatically when you send a message to another iOS5 device and there's "Delivered" and "Read" notifications right below the message. If the message is in a blue bubble it's an iMessage and if it's in a green bubble it's a text message. This is as opposed to on a BlackBerry where you have to exchange PINs, add them to your contact list and then use a separate application to do the same thing.

Feel free to post your opinions. But I mean seriously, it's completely obvious that you've never once used it.
    Assuming you have their phone number, what if you don't?
    01-05-12 03:28 PM
    Then you ask them for it...?

Sorry, I don't quite get your question. Exchanging phone numbers is no different than exchanging BBM PINs.
    01-05-12 03:36 PM
    Works with an email address too. All you have to do is ask them.

Seriously though how many contacts do you have a PIN for but not a phone number? Not including people you met anonymously on a swapping site

Last edited by xandermac; 01-05-12 at 03:44 PM.
    01-05-12 03:40 PM
    Then you ask them for it...?

Sorry, I don't quite get your question. Exchanging phone numbers is no different than exchanging BBM PINs.
    Ipods, ipads don't have phone numbers
    01-05-12 03:42 PM
    Works with an email address too. All you have to do is ask them.

Seriously though how many contacts do you have a PIN for but not a phone number?

About 30 actually. But my point was that imessage still needs to be set up in certain cases, it's only seamless if you have the phone number, and ipod touches and ipads don't have phone numbers.
    01-05-12 03:45 PM
    Ipods, ipads don't have phone numbers
    Email addresses work as well. You can have multiple addresses linked to your iMessage account. So, other iPhones don't have to use your number, they can use your email just like the rest of the iOS devices would.
    moiselles likes this.
    01-05-12 03:53 PM
    About 30 actually. But my point was that imessage still needs to be set up in certain cases, it's only seamless if you have the phone number, and ipod touches and ipads don't have phone numbers.
    I would think many people have emails linked to their contacts. It really isn't complicated. All the iOS user needs to do is add their email to their account. It's easy. It would be like asking someone their name to play a game, or their IM name.
    01-05-12 03:56 PM
    If a mediocre product like Imessage which in all truth, is simply MMS for Apple devices works for you that's fine. I'm just saying for me, based on the numerous threads i've seen online.. it's a nightmare to get working in the first place.. then it's a nightmare cos you're never sure your messages are sent, delivered or read etc..

SMS and MMS have been around a million years so if they couldn't get that right.. it just straight up sucks. Text on BB and all other phones im sure show the sent and delivered status. MMS on BB show's sent, delivered and you can also get a read receipt. You just have to enable Allow delivery/sent and Request delivery/sent in the SMS/MMS options.

Anyway's.. the bottom line is it's mediocre right now and ya'll are just gonna have to accept the truth... cos the truth sets you free.

#Imjustsaying

Bahanananahahahahaah !!!! That there is some funny stuff !!
    01-05-12 04:00 PM
    Email addresses work as well. You can have multiple addresses linked to your iMessage account. So, other iPhones don't have to use your number, they can use your email just like the rest of the iOS devices would.
    I already know that, I was responding to this:

"There is no "getting working" it just works automatically when you send a message to another iOS5 device and there's "Delivered" and "Read" notifications right below the message. If the message is in a blue bubble it's an iMessage and if it's in a green bubble it's a text message. This is as opposed to on a BlackBerry where you have to exchange PINs, add them to your contact list and then use a separate application to do the same thing."

Which is obviously not exactly true.
    01-05-12 04:02 PM
    I have no desire to bash anyone's choice, but I am unclear about the iMessage.

If I had an iPhone set up here in Canada with iMessage, and my buddy in Denmark has an iPhone but not iMessage - if I send them something via iMessage, it would _automatically_ send it as a text message (edit to add: if I have their mobile number in my contacts)?

Do not like this. I do not want the expense of the ghost of Saint Jobs deciding for me that I will incur international text fees, let alone international MMS fees should it be a photo.

And if I have to manually turn off and on the "Send as Text Message" option before iMessaging any of my (many) international online friends, family and contacts, I don't see the "ease" nor "seamlessness" as easily.

Am I understanding that right?

Not saying BBM is better or worse, I have many ways I keep in touch. I am simply asking a question cos I'm a cheap SOB, and I like making my own decisions when I can and know how to!
    01-05-12 04:09 PM
    This thread is so full of baseless opinion presented as fact for the sake of arguing that it's pointless.

You provide an answer and the person who demanded the answer in the first place ignores it and continues to argue. Nice. What's the point of asking for information when all you do is ignore it?

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk
    01-05-12 04:16 PM
    I already know that, I was responding to this:

"There is no "getting working" it just works automatically when you send a message to another iOS5 device and there's "Delivered" and "Read" notifications right below the message. If the message is in a blue bubble it's an iMessage and if it's in a green bubble it's a text message. This is as opposed to on a BlackBerry where you have to exchange PINs, add them to your contact list and then use a separate application to do the same thing."

Which is obviously not exactly true.
    It is one step a user has to do (add the email address), which is done within a few seconds (depending on how fast you can type).

Pretty damn simple.
    01-05-12 04:20 PM
    If I had an iPhone set up here in Canada with iMessage, and my buddy in Denmark has an iPhone but not iMessage - if I send them something via iMessage, it would _automatically_ send it as a text message (edit to add: if I have their mobile number in my contacts)?

Do not like this.
    In that case, the send button would be green, and the text entry field would not say iMessage in it, so you would know before you send it. The interface is different enough that you definitely notice it.

There's really nothing else the app can do. If your friend doesn't have iMessage, then SMS is the only option the app has at that point.
    01-05-12 04:22 PM
    I love iMessage and it's effortless for me. I also love BBM but I didn't know about it until I'd had the berry for well over a year.

Lastly, I personally don't need another place to update my status, or change profile pics, especially since my bb is suppose to be the grown up device. I don't interact with random people so if I can't give you my phone number then we either don't need to chat or you can look me up on twitter. Pretty simple.
    01-05-12 04:26 PM
    I love the uproar on this thread. iMessage is good, BBM is good, NEITHER IS PERFECT. Neither can talk to each other, so I still don't see how either is better than email or texting overall.
    JBenn911 likes this.
    01-05-12 04:32 PM
    This thread is so full of baseless opinion presented as fact for the sake of arguing that it's pointless.

You provide an answer and the person who demanded the answer in the first place ignores it and continues to argue. Nice. What's the point of asking for information when all you do is ignore it?

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk
    It was a rhetorical question, I already knew the answer and I was just making a point, probably too subtle for some people lol.
    01-05-12 04:47 PM
    Any exclusive messenger is a fail to me. BBM or iMessenger. I don't care what friends and family use and a messenger that only works on 1 phone or OS is limiting. I do not use bbm because it excludes friends and family and no way I'm buying a phone for a messenger or trying to talk people into getting a phone because of 1 feature that is a messenger.
    I use BBM for any contact that has a Blackberry. Text or Facebook message to anyone that doesn't have one.

James
    01-05-12 05:05 PM
    I use BBM for any contact that has a Blackberry. Text or Facebook message to anyone that doesn't have one.

James
    To me BBM is the same as Facebook.
    01-05-12 05:10 PM
    I love the uproar on this thread. iMessage is good, BBM is good, NEITHER IS PERFECT. Neither can talk to each other, so I still don't see how either is better than email or texting overall.
    BBM is much better then text and email. Text was pretty good with my Palm Treo but sucked on my Blackberry early on till they updated it.

One reason I like BBM is the location feature. Its a beautiful feature.

Also the flags are nice anda pain at the same time. I had a friend send a message which i read just before driving off in my car. It wasn't that important so i decided to reply when i got where i was going. She sent another message saying I know you got the message so answer me. LOL. But it is nice to know someone got the message if it is important.

Some people don't know how to set up a phone to receive emails, are too lazy or just don't want to.

So BBM is my first choice, then text or Facebook and then email. Its nice to have options.

James
    01-05-12 05:17 PM
    Apple ID, email, phone number....works fine...I talk several times a day to my daughter in Europe on her 4s and iPod touch(wifi)...was a piece of cake
    01-05-12 05:32 PM
    In a way it is a failure. Remember the "It just works." ads? Thats what a lot of people think when they think Apple. They did it to themself. Yes all products and software have some sort of problem, big or small. Nothing is perfect but you have to remember that Apple likes to point out outher companies flaws. They almost act as they are perfect. When you do that you can't really have issues.

James
    01-05-12 05:57 PM
238 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD