Imessage on Iphone is obviously a failure. I remember when ifanboys called it the BBM killer hahahaha. lol

http://forums.tipb.com/ios-5-forum/2...-imessage.html
    Last edited by BlackB_G; 01-05-12 at 10:27 AM.
    acwyau likes this.
    01-05-12 04:22 AM
    Yes, one thread on TiPb makes it an obvious failure.

Not sure why people haven't realized yet, all services have issues.. that doesn't make something a failure.

BBM *fails* all the time, so does Text messaging, so does iMessage etc..etc..etc.
    01-05-12 04:38 AM
    Yes, one thread on TiPb makes it an obvious failure.

Not sure why people haven't realized yet, all services have issues.. that doesn't make something a failure.

BBM *fails* all the time, so does Text messaging, so does iMessage etc..etc..etc.
    Hey Bla1ze, where's the BBM vs imessage speed test promised a while ago after the first one when it was in beta?
    01-05-12 04:58 AM
    Hey Bla1ze, where's the BBM vs imessage speed test promised a while ago after the first one when it was in beta?

I'll do one tomorrow.. (later today?) .. not that it'll make much difference, in beta - out of beta.. same results. Which is why it was never posted to begin with, there was no difference in the results.

01-05-12 05:06 AM
    Well I'm sure the number of users has increased by now so it will be a fair test. Would be interesting the speed comparison and the speed a photo is being sent too.
    01-05-12 05:15 AM
    Well I'm sure the number of users has increased by now so it will be a fair test. Would be interesting the speed comparison and the speed a photo is being sent too.
    I use both daily, like I said -- no difference but whatever.. I'll do it up for ya.

iMessage is sometimes faster, sometimes BBM is faster.. but comparatively, if all network variables are removed and the devices are ran off of WiFi both are pretty much on par with each other, milliseconds apart on either side for any given test. Pretty lackluster.

Networks are the fail points, not the services themselves really.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    01-05-12 05:26 AM
    I use both daily, like I said -- no difference but whatever.. I'll do it up for ya.

iMessage is sometimes faster, sometimes BBM is faster.. but comparatively, if all network variables are removed and the devices are ran off of WiFi both are pretty much on par with each other, milliseconds apart on either side for any given test. Pretty lackluster.

Networks are the fail points, not the services themselves really.
    In your opinion, does it have the same following as bbm or is it just used as sms replacement?

I find myself more active on bbm these days then on facebook or twitter(status updates, profile pic updates etc)
    01-05-12 05:35 AM
    In your opinion, does it have the same following as bbm or is it just used as sms replacement?

I find myself more active on bbm these days then on facebook or twitter(status updates, profile pic updates etc)
    Nah, I doubt most people even realize they are using it if / when they do. Just an SMS replacement.

People know when they use BBM, you specifically seek out that BBM icon and of course, ask people their PIN.

With iMessage, it's just kinda... There. It's deep integration may be its greatest issue with getting recognition for the service existing if that makes any sense.
    01-05-12 06:05 AM
    Nah, I doubt most people even realize they are using it if / when they do. Just an SMS replacement.

People know when they use BBM, you specifically seek out that BBM icon and of course, ask people their PIN.

With iMessage, it's just kinda... There. It's deep integration may be its greatest issue with getting recognition for the service existing if that makes any sense.
    Yeah, that's what I thought, I have no real experience with it but I did have a call from my niece asking me how to find imessage after she upgraded her 3gs to ios5 lol, took some explaining and then she tells me none of her friends have iphones lol
    01-05-12 06:26 AM
    iMessage isnt a fail at all. Actually i was afraid to switch to iPhone coz of BBM, but now i am not. It beatifully integrates into messaging and when available switchs to iMessage instead of text message. Use it on my iPod and iPad, love it!
    01-05-12 07:57 AM
    And like blackberry never has outages? Like the one lasted for 5 days!
    01-05-12 07:59 AM
    Imessage on Iphone is obviously an failure. I remember when ifanboys called it the BBM killer hahahaha. lol

http://forums.tipb.com/ios-5-forum/2...-imessage.html
    Obviously

In my opinion the only thing wrong with iMessage is the inability to resize a photo before you send it. Full resolution photos take forever to send.
    01-05-12 08:32 AM
    Any exclusive messenger is a fail to me. BBM or iMessenger. I don't care what friends and family use and a messenger that only works on 1 phone or OS is limiting. I do not use bbm because it excludes friends and family and no way I'm buying a phone for a messenger or trying to talk people into getting a phone because of 1 feature that is a messenger.
    01-05-12 08:40 AM
    A good test would be doing both in an EDGE coverage area. I bet BBM is much more efficient as the thread listed by the OP has someone stating that working in EDGE is awful, and I've never had issue with BBM in EDGE area. I've used BBM in many places around the world and it has been very reliable. Only times it hasn't worked is during the BIS outages, or if the other person needs to reboot the phone.
    01-05-12 08:43 AM
    And like blackberry never has outages? Like the one lasted for 5 days!
    3 days actually but the point is it was iphone folks laughing at Rim at the time telling us this would never happen to Apple. A taste of their own medicine perhaps. I don't see the tech media jumping all over it like they do on Rim.
    01-05-12 09:07 AM
    3 days actually but the point is it was iphone folks laughing at Rim at the time telling us this would never happen to Apple. A taste of their own medicine perhaps. I don't see the tech media jumping all over it like they do on Rim.
    Probably because it's one instance on a forum rather than a worldwide outage.

All I know is this. In just over a month I now have far more people in my iMessage list than I ever had BBM contacts in years of using a blackberry and I didn't have to do a thing, it was all automatic. No asking for PINs, no separate message application, it's all handled for the user. Now that's pretty slick.

Sent from my iPhone4s using Tapatalk
    01-05-12 09:16 AM
    Any exclusive messenger is a fail to me. BBM or iMessenger. I don't care what friends and family use and a messenger that only works on 1 phone or OS is limiting. I do not use bbm because it excludes friends and family and no way I'm buying a phone for a messenger or trying to talk people into getting a phone because of 1 feature that is a messenger.
    That's the unique part of iMessage.. (on an iphone), if the person you are texting to, isnt an iOS 5.xx user, it sends it as a normal text.. one app handles the messaging and seamlessly switches from imessage to sms.. You dont need to have all your friends on the platform, but those that are, can bypass the worry about sms usage, just like BBM
    01-05-12 09:29 AM
    That's the unique part of iMessage.. (on an iphone), if the person you are texting to, isnt an iOS 5.xx user, it sends it as a normal text.. one app handles the messaging and seamlessly switches from imessage to sms.. You dont need to have all your friends on the platform, but those that are, can bypass the worry about sms usage, just like BBM
    Just don't try to switch phones.

http://m.techcrunch.com/2012/01/05/i...8TechCrunch%29

01-05-12 09:31 AM
    First of all, when iMessage fails or goes offline, you still have text messaging. Just like you do when BBM doesn't work.

My sister's husband didn't even know what it was and he's been using iPhones since the first one came out. He just noticed his texts were blue one day rather than green.

A good test would be doing both in an EDGE coverage area. I bet BBM is much more efficient as the thread listed by the OP has someone stating that working in EDGE is awful, and I've never had issue with BBM in EDGE area. I've used BBM in many places around the world and it has been very reliable. Only times it hasn't worked is during the BIS outages, or if the other person needs to reboot the phone.
    I never could get BBM to work unless I was on full 3G signal. If I was on 1X, it never would send and I couldn't get it to receive either. Guess you got lucky.
    01-05-12 09:33 AM
    Probably because it's one instance on a forum rather than a worldwide outage.

All I know is this. In just over a month I now have far more people in my iMessage list than I ever had BBM contacts in years of using a blackberry and I didn't have to do a thing, it was all automatic. No asking for PINs, no separate message application, it's all handled for the user. Now that's pretty slick.

Slick double edged sword, anybody that has your phone number can imessage you and you can't stop it. Pins are there for a reason.

Anyway, BBM is no longer a messaging service, it's a social network, I look at it as an exclusive private club
    sir.dangerfield, tack and ritesh like this.
    01-05-12 09:36 AM
    I wish BBM didn't require a PIN. I like how iMessage just uses your phone number or email address. It's a pain asking for and giving out a PIN.

Also, I like that iMessage defaults to text if iMessage isn't available. Automatically. It's a feature you can turn off but it is handy.

Lastly, iMessage automatically recognizes other iMessage users. Not more asking, "do you have a BlackBerry?"

I also like that iMessage isn't a separate app. I'd like to have all my instant messing in one SMS like app.
    01-05-12 09:37 AM
    Slick double edged sword, anybody that has your phone number can imessage you and you can't stop it. Pins are there for a reason.

Anyway, BBM is no longer a messaging service, it's a social network, I look at it as an exclusive private club
    I don't want to social network or add randoms to my BBM or iMessage. I'm never worried about who I give my info to because they're family or close friends only.

I hate when people ask for my PIN. To me, it's not like I want a chat room because I have a PIN.
    01-05-12 09:38 AM
    I don't want to social network or add randoms to my BBM or iMessage. I'm never worried about who I give my info to because they're family or close friends only.

I hate when people ask for my PIN. To me, it's not like I want a chat room because I have a PIN.
    Yeah but you're a minority, that's not how most of us use BBM. It's not for everybody obviously.
    ritesh likes this.
    01-05-12 09:46 AM
    Yeah but you're a minority, that's not how most of us use BBM. It's not for everybody obviously.
    I wouldn't say that she's the minority, unless you have stats to back up the claim. I was just like her when I had a blackberry. I couldn't be bothered to add people to BBM because of the hoops, not to mention people I know just don't use the berry anymore.

01-05-12 09:48 AM
    I think anyone 17 and over is over adding random people and using their phones as a nightclub hangout. I think I'm the majority. We're mostly adults here.
    kevinnugent likes this.
    01-05-12 09:51 AM
238 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD