06-10-11 01:31 AM
262 12345 ...
tools
    On one hand I agree, on the other hand, they are not so slow if you look at the number of devices they release. Perhaps they should focus on less devices.

As for Nokia, that is sad for them they were extremely popular here but that was the time when you barely had an agenda in a phone. I really hope Rim comes with a smart plan to bounce back.
    It's less of releasing hardware, more on their software strategy. Any one can release hardware but not everyone can have the software and that's RIM problem for years now. RIM makes nice looking and solid hardware it's their OS that has put them to where they're at today. All RIM can do now is hope that they hit a home run with QNX when they release it because that's the only thing left that can really save them.
    06-06-11 02:26 PM
    if the next iphone has a physical keyboard, im jumping lol
    I was just thimking the same thing
    mirren and ibigberries like this.
    06-06-11 02:30 PM
    It's less of releasing hardware, more on their software strategy. Any one can release hardware but not everyone can have the software and that's RIM problem for years now. RIM makes nice looking and solid hardware it's their OS that has put them to where they're at today. All RIM can do now is hope that they hit a home run with QNX when they release it because that's the only thing left that can really save them.
    That is the story of iphone 1 poor hardware but smooth os.
    One could also point out that RIM has been extremely durable since os 4.7 up to upcoming os 7 but as you say, they need to hit high and strong with qnx. From my playbook experience, if they build up sufficient knowledge to bring the needed update, they will. From there, I am hoping that Tat will bring more of their weight into qnx 2.
    06-06-11 02:38 PM
    AutoPilot2020
    CrackBerry Abuser
    Device Model: BlackBerry PlayBook 32gb

everything that they have announced already exists.
    Examples:
    notifications-every platform has this, its fairly basic
    iMessage-total rip off of BBM
    iCloud-not that big of a deal (dropbox)
    iTunes Cloud- 7 Digital
    Newsstand- meh go online for them
    Twitter integration- i don't use twitter
    OMGOMGOMG TABBED BROWSING- fairly common
    Reminders- its called a good calendar
    OTA updates- many devices already have this

basically iOS5 is just a catch up for Apple, but hey! its revolutionary!

oh and like anastasiophan said, apple's stock dropped over 1.5%
    quoted from AutoPilot2020
    06-06-11 03:05 PM
    Can iMessage usurp BBM as the "it" messenger? Possibly but i think much of the usage will come from devices that are not iPhones, but iPods and iPads.

In reality there is no reason to even touch iMessage or BBM with a little nifty thing called text messaging.

iMessage = BBM = f*cking useless to everyone else not using an iPhone or BB (and there seems to be a **** of a lot more).

iMessage will be as useless as Facetime and iChat. Im calling it right here
    06-06-11 03:06 PM
    That s why I can t stand em
    06-06-11 03:06 PM
    AutoPilot2020
    CrackBerry Abuser
    Device Model: BlackBerry PlayBook 32gb

everything that they have announced already exists.
    Examples:
    notifications-every platform has this, its fairly basic
    iMessage-total rip off of BBM
    iCloud-not that big of a deal (dropbox)
    iTunes Cloud- 7 Digital
    Newsstand- meh go online for them
    Twitter integration- i don't use twitter
    OMGOMGOMG TABBED BROWSING- fairly common
    Reminders- its called a good calendar
    OTA updates- many devices already have this

basically iOS5 is just a catch up for Apple, but hey! its revolutionary!

oh and like anastasiophan said, apple's stock dropped over 1.5%
    quoted from AutoPilot2020
    Point us to a time when Apple stock hasn't dropped after WWDC.

In addition, the entire market dropped over 1%.
    06-06-11 03:12 PM
    Point us to a time when Apple stock hasn't dropped after WWDC.

In addition, the entire market dropped over 1%.
    Apple stock always drops after every major show. Investors/Analysts have the most absurd expectations of what they think Apple will make.
    06-06-11 03:16 PM
    imessage is a duplication of ecosystems that already exist like gtalk, which are cross platform.

It's not the deathblow that people are swearing up and down it is, it's essentially a perk for IOS users that want to replicate the BBM experience but don't want to use the 3rd party solutions (for which there are many...).

It's a much, much more niche group than everybody in the press (and commenters) is making it out to be...
    fnguyen likes this.
    06-06-11 03:17 PM
    Can iMessage usurp BBM as the "it" messenger? Possibly but i think much of the usage will come from devices that are not iPhones, but iPods and iPads.

In reality there is no reason to even touch iMessage or BBM with a little nifty thing called text messaging.

iMessage = BBM = f*cking useless to everyone else not using an iPhone or BB (and there seems to be a **** of a lot more).

I use FaceTime on a daily basis to chat with my girlfriend who has an iphone. Also, I use the Skype app to talk to my Dad and Uncle.
    06-06-11 03:19 PM

It's not going to be a huge app where you'll see it making headlines. It's going to be huge because of what it's going to do to the other players in the smartphone space. People who are already using iPhones will use it and for those who want BBM but need the App Store, will finally switch. Sure you can get other multi-platform IM's and I'm sure others will still use them but it won't get the OS integration that native apps have or will get which made BBM so popular to us BlackBerry users. You're downplaying what iMessage can do outside of it's intended use.
    06-06-11 03:20 PM
    For domestic use maybe, but for international use text messaging sucks a$$. Expensive and unreliable. BBM is great for people in different countries to stay in touch and each is only paying for their own data usage, not paying to both send and receive each message. I get billed $0.20 just to receive a txt message from overseas and same to send, don't even want to know what MMS costs (even though I send all the pics I want with BBM), and it might not get received for days. My wife now is able to communicate with a lot of friends in South Africa because everyone there is getting Blackberry's and it isn't costing me any extra. I was having conversations with my boss and a vendor who are both in Asia at the moment and getting pictures from them this morning, no extra costs.
    AbuYazeedUK and ritesh like this.
    06-06-11 03:20 PM
    ^^ Again, any generic data based messaging service will do the same though. That's a data based messaging vs text messaging issue, which imessenger doesn't bring anything new to the table in that regard.
    06-06-11 03:22 PM
    So glad I ditched my Storm2 for an iPhone 4. Apple haven't disappointed me yet... Since purchasing last September I still feel like I'm on the winning team.

iMessage and iOS 5 is the sweetener.
    06-06-11 03:24 PM
    all this negativity, lack of execution and with the announcement of ios 5 (especiall imessage), i am now jumping ship.

I would advise all stockholders to seriously reconsider RIM's future. I know I have.
    06-06-11 03:24 PM
    And in the meantime, on the front page of crackberry, a poll: Do you like ebooks or paper? I have a feeling RIM has been doing the same thing in their corporate offices: asking pointless questions while their competitors are thinking strategy and eating their market share.
    06-06-11 03:25 PM
    So glad I ditched my Storm2 for an iPhone 4. Apple haven't disappointed me yet... Since purchasing last September I still feel like I'm on the winning team.

iMessage and iOS 5 is the sweetener.
    Gotta love people that think of technology purchases as a "team" based sport....
    The Gift likes this.
    06-06-11 03:25 PM
    ^^ Again, any generic data based messaging service will do the same though. That's a data based messaging vs text messaging issue, which imessenger doesn't bring anything new to the table in that regard.
    Yes but my BBM messages are encrypted from device to BIS or BES to device. Not sure about iMessage... Google talk is not from what I can find. This is important to me, especially when I travel to China or other places where the local governments are a little too nosy.
    06-06-11 03:29 PM
    And in the meantime, on the front page of crackberry, a poll: Do you like ebooks or paper? I have a feeling RIM has been doing the same thing in their corporate offices: asking pointless questions while their competitors are thinking strategy and eating their market share.
    I was thinking the exact same thing...but I am certain they are preparing a good post on this one. Dont rush your answers, think them
    06-06-11 03:30 PM
    Your standard user doing international chat will not care about message encryption, nor will most consumers.. If they did we would not be using so much gmail in the first place...
    06-06-11 03:30 PM
    Yes but my BBM messages are encrypted from device to BIS or BES to device. Not sure about iMessage... Google talk is not from what I can find. This is important to me, especially when I travel to China or other places where the local governments are a little too nosy.
    imessage in encrypted
    06-06-11 03:33 PM
    imessage is a duplication of ecosystems that already exist like gtalk, which are cross platform.

It's not the deathblow that people are swearing up and down it is, it's essentially a perk for IOS users that want to replicate the BBM experience but don't want to use the 3rd party solutions (for which there are many...).

It's a much, much more niche group than everybody in the press (and commenters) is making it out to be...
    I would agree with this assessment. There have always been alternatives to BBM, and IMHO better alternatives. Google Talk has always had all the same features (sans Read notifications) even within the last year including push instead of polling, unfortunately their mobile apps for gTalk suck rocks so there's a bit of a reliance on 3rd party instant messengers like Trillian etc to fill the void. Perhaps iMessenger will give Google a kick in the right direction and they'll throw some resources at improving their app. Many other messaging services suit the bill too. But that's predominately at the consumer level.

The real advantage of BBM was its use on BES networks for business/corporate correspondence where messaging needs to be monitored and restricted. And is the only place I found the Read notification useful (I deplore that feature at the consumer level). So far I haven't read squat about iMessenger except what has been posted in this thread, so I am left wondering if iMessenger will can be policied to closed networks.
    06-06-11 03:34 PM
    Google Talk does have encryption/security measures, their mobile app just bites big time and doesn't utilize most of what Google Talk has to offer. Android users have been clamoring for improvements to the gTalk app for quite some time. Maybe this recent announcement will encourage them to throw some resources at it.
    06-06-11 03:37 PM
    Your standard user doing international chat will not care about message encryption, nor will most consumers.. If they did we would not be using so much gmail in the first place...
    I guess this very much depends on your country, in places like northern africa, people are actually concerned with message encryption.
    06-06-11 03:37 PM
    pretty much agree that this is NOT a good thing for RIM. apple just put the last nail in the coffin...
    06-06-11 03:38 PM
262 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD