Blackberry success is not entirely relying on BBM, plus bbm integration is deep into bb os and probably not developed in ios.

I am not a smartphone expert but I see a lot of other featured to bb devices, the keyboard being one, the playbook, the data usage, the notifications, the diversity of devices and form factor, the open mind community, the android emulation on qnx devices, the battery life and so on

I used my first bb for two years before i discovered bbm
    True. But we're talking about the consumer market. The enterprise market is still RIM's for the time being but BBM was RIM's one marketing strategy to sway consumers in getting a BlackBerry. Now that Apple has introduced iMessage, why would any consumer want to get a BlackBerry when iOS now does the same thing? Sure BBM is more complete in terms of integration but Apple will soon fix that too. Right now, people want that IM app and Apple gave it to them. I can see an iMessage commercial in the VERY near future.
    06-06-11 01:55 PM
    Oh, and the sad part is how many of these things RIM has done for a while now, if not years.

1. Contacts, email-setup, calendars, etc. synced across devices.
    2. Third-party integration into OS services
    3. Wi-fi music/media sync
    4. Centralized notification bar and service into which all apps can plug into
    5. BBM

[shakes head] RIM is going to go down as a business-school case as to how not to run your company. Establish a dominant position in the marketplace, rest on your laurels while competitors eat your market share from out under you, and then don't respond fast enough.
    Smh. Rim is like the nerd that tries to cover the paper when you cheat on a test! Getting bullied around and can't do a d** thing about it cause they're phones aren't innovative. Rim cant get ANY of my business! Had me paying 90 bucks for a non existing data package. Over charged me for a 9650.. that couldn't hold a candle and come close to my 9700! Watch how they charge 200+ for that 3g bold that's coming out. Last years specs.. for this years money. A data experience from 10 years ago for this years money! Bad business! !!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Well I was gonna buy the 9900 but looks like there really is no reason to stay with BB now. Close but no cigar RIM...see ya. I'm sure lots of others BB users are gonna switch over now. Pretty much all my friends have iPhones and I know for a fact that the few that are still with BB will be switching over to iPhone now to keep in touch with everyone else.

imessage really is the killing blow to RIM.
    06-06-11 01:57 PM
    Hey Kevin, where are you? Looking forward to hear from you on this one.

Would be great to have bbm and imessage talk to each other.

Hearing all of you saying that RIM is dead etc...I seriously doubt that they did not see one coming, and I am sure they are prepared.
    06-06-11 01:57 PM
    [shakes head] RIM is going to go down as a business-school case as to how not to run your company. Establish a dominant position in the marketplace, rest on your laurels while competitors eat your market share from out under you, and then don't respond fast enough.
    They already are in a few of my business courses.
    06-06-11 01:58 PM
    I just saw the WWDC demo of iMessage and I must say I'm impressed and yes messages are encrypted plus you have delivery and read receipts ect...
    06-06-11 01:58 PM
    Well I was gonna buy the 9900 but looks like there really is no reason to stay with BB now. Close but no cigar RIM...see ya. I'm sure lots of others BB users are gonna switch over now. Pretty much all my friends have iPhones and I know for a fact that the few that are still with BB will be switching over to iPhone now to keep in touch with everyone else.

imessage really is the killing blow to RIM.
    06-06-11 01:59 PM
    Have to say I'm Sooo excited about this. I'm a BBM addict! I use it on my work phone, but only for work. I miss having something like that on my personal phone since it's an iPhone 4. This is great news.
    I still think RIM wins hands down when it comes to notification though. Thats still a reason for me to keep my work phone as a bb since I need to know I have an email as soon as I get it. Not whenever I think to open my mail app and refresh. Although I think I read that Apple made some changes in that department as well.
    I think these guys might sue them first:

iMessage - Instant Mobile Messaging

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    They already are in a few of my business courses.
    Which courses, and in what context?
    06-06-11 02:01 PM
    Hey Kevin, where are you? Looking forward to hear from you on this one.

Would be great to have bbm and imessage talk to each other.

Hearing all of you saying that RIM is dead etc...I seriously doubt that they did not see one coming, and I am sure they are prepared.
    I like how optimistic you are, and I love my BlackBerry, but it's really hard to pull for RIM. You said they're prepared for this and they saw this coming. I'm sure they saw all the competition in the smartphone space years ago and yet many are still waiting for a REAL competitor to what's out there right now. Just add this to a list of things RIM needs to worry about now.
    06-06-11 02:02 PM
    Which courses, and in what context?
    Nothing too big as RIM is still "alive" but few of my Finance courses specifically relating to their stock performance. You start talking about why they're in this position and one thing leads to another and eventually all leads back to Apple. I can't wait until courses go all out on RIM as a case study.
    06-06-11 02:05 PM
    I bet anything the next iPhone will have a indicator light for notifications similiar to BB. If the next iPhone has an external notification I'm the first to jump off the RIM ship. That's all I need....an external notification and imessage.

I was really pulling for RIM but they just seem to dissapoint with outdated hardware time after time.

Can't seem to get they're software right
    06-06-11 02:05 PM
    if the next iphone has a physical keyboard, im jumping lol
    06-06-11 02:07 PM
    True. But we're talking about the consumer market. The enterprise market is still RIM's for the time being but BBM was RIM's one marketing strategy to sway consumers in getting a BlackBerry. Now that Apple has introduced iMessage, why would any consumer want to get a BlackBerry when iOS now does the same thing? Sure BBM is more complete in terms of integration but Apple will soon fix that too. Right now, people want that IM app and Apple gave it to them. I can see an iMessage commercial in the VERY near future.
    That is true, and RIM has been extremely successful in other part of the world such as indonesia where bbm is huge from what I read. Iphones are till and will stay super expensive phones, and fragile whereas you can get a decent bb for less than a third of an iphone, with longer battery life and more durable. BB has a sustainable strategy, apple has a consumer strategy and a narrow view towards the future.

Look at the playbook, the os is great, fancy and has everthing a consumer want except for apps because it can provide the same services through the web.

I am not trying to defend RIM at all cost, I truly believe that they are developping a smarter strategy. It is just not as fancy or bragging as apple. I dont ******* care if there is an app for that, there always has been the web for that.
    ritesh likes this.
    06-06-11 02:07 PM
    lol...gg RIM, gg.

That's all I'll say.
    06-06-11 02:08 PM
    That is true, and RIM has been extremely successful in other part of the world such as indonesia where bbm is huge from what I read. Iphones are till and will stay super expensive phones, and fragile whereas you can get a decent bb for less than a third of an iphone, with longer battery life and more durable. BB has a sustainable strategy, apple has a consumer strategy and a narrow view towards the future.

Look at the playbook, the os is great, fancy and has everthing a consumer want except for apps because it can provide the same services through the web.

I am not trying to defend RIM at all cost, I truly believe that they are developping a smarter strategy. It is just not as fancy or bragging as apple. I dont ******* care if there is an app for that, there always has been the web for that.
    Hey, I think we all hope or think that RIM has somewhat of a strategy but it's their execution. They're too slow to react to the market which is why they're so behind today. Right now, all they have is the international market because of the low-cost phones that Android and iOS don't have *yet* but I'm sure those will come soon. Remember, everyone thought Nokia would be OK because they are worldwide and provide phones to both the high-end cost and low-end cost in those specific markets but look at them today. RIM is in a very similar situation.
    06-06-11 02:16 PM
    How can people adore a company that produce a fourth gen device that has no alarm clock when turned off, that bugs when daylight saving occurs and that cant handle new years properly?

My hope for RIM is that iphones will soon be infected by tons of viruses (which shows that I am a bit worried).
    06-06-11 02:16 PM
    after having 7 BB's, im gone. iphone 5 for me. BBm was only thing keeping me on BB, and now that a clone is on iOS, i have no legimate reason NOT to switch...that and my boat has a iphone/ipod jack.
    06-06-11 02:18 PM
    Explain the "security" aspect to the majority of iOS device owners and they will either not care of haven't a clue what you're talking about. I'm sure Apple has thier bases covered making this a non issue.
    Yes but all of the t CIO's and IT groups that require certain certs do care and this will keep devices without those certs out of those networks! I know that iOS users don't care about it, at least until their IT guy says no you can't let that iDevice get your corporate/government e-mail.
    06-06-11 02:18 PM
    iphone 5 for me.
    No iPhone 5 announced today. May have something in September though if they plan to release it then.
    06-06-11 02:20 PM
    To be honest... iMessage is even better than BBM because you can use any iDevice you own and pick up a conversation where you left it (messages stored on server being synced)

Holy cow... I was waiting for it, as a matter of fact, now RIM is in deep troubles.
    06-06-11 02:22 PM
    Hey, I think we all hope or think that RIM has somewhat of a strategy but it's their execution. They're too slow to react to the market which is why they're so behind today. Right now, all they have is the international market because of the low-cost phones that Android and iOS don't have *yet* but I'm sure those will come soon. Remember, everyone thought Nokia would be OK because they are worldwide and provide phones to both the high-end cost and low-end cost in those specific markets but look at them today. RIM is in a very similar situation.
    On one hand I agree, on the other hand, they are not so slow if you look at the number of devices they release. Perhaps they should focus on less devices.

As for Nokia, that is sad for them they were extremely popular here but that was the time when you barely had an agenda in a phone. I really hope Rim comes with a smart plan to bounce back.
    06-06-11 02:22 PM
    To be honest... iMessage is even better than BBM because you can use any iDevice you own and pick up a conversation where you left it (messages stored on server being synced)

Holy cow... I was waiting for it, as a matter of fact, now RIM is in deep troubles.
    that doesn t sound really secure though (not that i care that much)
    06-06-11 02:24 PM
262 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD