Is this by any chance on a CDMA blackberry? I don't see how this would happen on a GSM device as everything is connected to the sim card.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Happened to me with AT&T and VZW. Not CDMA specific. The PIN has to unregistered from the previous user. And that simply means them just deleting their emails from the BIS. In a lot of cases they don't do that and just wipe the phone. That doesn't remove the email accounts from being associated with that BIS account. Emails are not connected to the SIM. It's connected to the BIS account via the PIN. Service books are also connected via the PIN and BIS account. It's not SIM specific.
    06-08-11 02:10 PM
    Have to disagree with you;

1) iPhone email is just as good if not better than blackberry. You have full html, Have access to all your account folders for any account and no email truncation.

2) Are you defending blackberry or Android? You can't use use blackberry email as being better then say Android web browsing. So VS blackebrry, iPhone web browsing is 10 times better. And you've probably never even used an Android but flash has very poor performance on most devices making it unusable. If flash was a big of a deal as you want to make it to be then Apple wouldn't be selling devices like they are.

3) What? iPhone cameras are better than Blackberry. No question.

4) I don't think the iPhone has better battery life than the average blackberry but for a device that does everything is does, it has very good life, especially the iPhone 4. On a blackberry you're not doing half the stuff that people are doing on an iPhone so you're not using battery life and combine that with compressed data and a tiny screen of course battery life is better overall. But I can get a weeks out of an old flip phone doesn't mean I want to use it.

Lastly, I agree RIM isn't dead but you need to reevaluate iOS because many of your statements appear to be off of what you heard and not what you've used. Just my thoughts.
    Thanks for saving me time typing out a reasonable response.

Its true however, Slash82 seems to be spouting out myths and hear-say instead of facts and experience.

I'm someone who has actually OWNED several Blackberrys, and FWIW my partner uses an HTC Desire.

I don't mind people having an argument to things I say, in fact I love it, but i'd rather people were honest and truthfull, you'd gain my respect more...but I understand this is the internet...anything goes.
    06-08-11 02:56 PM
    Happened to me with AT&T and VZW. Not CDMA specific. The PIN has to unregistered from the previous user. And that simply means them just deleting their emails from the BIS. In a lot of cases they don't do that and just wipe the phone. That doesn't remove the email accounts from being associated with that BIS account. Emails are not connected to the SIM. It's connected to the BIS account via the PIN. Service books are also connected via the PIN and BIS account. It's not SIM specific.
    I don't know how you guys do it but I take the sim out of the old phone and put it in the new one, as soon as it turns on it registers with the network. I then go to email set up or the bis website where I log in and it tells me a new device has been detected and asks me if I want to transfer the email account to it. I then validate the email accounts and I'm done.

You don't deactivate your old blackberry, it gets done automatically when you activate the new one as only one pin can be asociated with it.

06-08-11 03:47 PM
    LOL compared to iOS users sure, but I would hardly describe the total amount of subscribers to BIS/BES as "few"...
    I didn't write "few". I wrote "too few" as in "RIM's market share is eroding".
    06-08-11 03:48 PM
    I didn't write "few". I wrote "too few" as in "RIM's market share is eroding".
    Marketshare yes but subscriber base is going up, over 50 millions active users last time I heard.

06-08-11 03:51 PM
    Marketshare yes but subscriber base is going up, over 50 millions active users last time I heard.

tell you what, if that floats your boat, go ahead and invest heavily in RIM. Today.
    06-08-11 03:56 PM
    tell you what, if that floats your boat, go ahead and invest heavily in RIM. Today.
    Well, you sound like you're not gonna see the reality. Keep looking at it in marketshare. I have no desire to see RIM dominate the market, i want to use their products and the service they provide.

06-08-11 04:00 PM
    I don't know how you guys do it but I take the sim out of the old phone and put it in the new one, as soon as it turns on it registers with the network. I then go to email set up or the bis website where I log in and it tells me a new device has been detected and asks me if I want to transfer the email account to it. I then validate the email accounts and I'm done.

You don't deactivate your old blackberry, it gets done automatically when you activate the new one as only one pin can be asociated with it.

Yes in many cases BIS may recognize that a new PIN is associated with your SIM, but that's not always the case. But this is driven by the BIS account/PIN. The PIN on the BIS account is changed when you set up the new device. This happens with you log in and transfer the email account to the new device. So yes you are correct, once you set your emails up on the new BIS account it automatically unlinks them from the old one, thus not having an issue.

The issue is when a person never sets up another blackberry linking their email accounts to the new device. Everyone that gets rid of a blackberry doesn't get a new one. So if they haven't done this, in many cases their emails goes to that device because it's still linked. So they never unlink it which means the person who now has the blackberry cannot add their accounts because the BIS/PIN on that device is associated with someone else. A SIM doesn't transfer PIN to another owner because then anyone can steal a blackberry put their SIM in it and then use it. SIM just registers the device to the network but the emails are changed by the method you stated above. Everyone does not do that though, hence the issue. It is fixed by either having the original owner manually delete the PIN from their BIS or calling the carrier and having them reset the PIN so it's not attached to anyone's BIS anymore. This is not just something a few people have experienced. It's been something specific blackberry for a long time.

Not sure how many links I have to post for you (including from this site) to see that it's been something well known for a long time.

Email account problem

So at the end of the day, if the previous owner does not remove the blackberry from their BIS or does not change devices, this is a recurring problem. Of course it's just a phone call to fix, but it is an issue. Again, it's not a big deal if people know what they are doing but everyone doesn't. I remember buying a 8310, 8330, 9000 and 9700 from people and for all of them I had to call AT&T and Verizon to have the PIN cleared from the previous owners BIS because I couldn't set up my email and I was getting all of their email.
    Last edited by scorpiodsu; 06-08-11 at 04:35 PM.
    06-08-11 04:25 PM
    Yes in many cases BIS may recognize that a new PIN is associated with your SIM, but that's not always the case. But this is driven by the BIS account/PIN. The PIN on the BIS account is changed when you set up the new device. This happens with you log in and transfer the email account to the new device. So yes you are correct, once you set your emails up on the new BIS account it automatically unlinks them from the old one, thus not having an issue.

The issue is when a person never sets up another blackberry linking their email accounts to the new device. Everyone that gets rid of a blackberry doesn't get a new one. So if they haven't done this, in many cases their emails goes to that device because it's still linked. So they never unlink it which means the person who now has the blackberry cannot add their accounts because the BIS/PIN on that device is associated with someone else. A SIM doesn't transfer PIN to another owner because then anyone can steal a blackberry put their SIM in it and then use it. SIM just registers the device to the network but the emails are changed by the method you stated above. Everyone does not do that though, hence the issue. It is fixed by either having the original owner manually delete the PIN from their BIS or calling the carrier and having them reset the PIN so it's not attached to anyone's BIS anymore. This is not just something a few people have experienced. It's been something specific blackberry for a long time.

Not sure how many links I have to post for you (including from this site) to see that it's been something well known for a long time.

Email account problem

So at the end of the day, if the previous owner does not remove the blackberry from their BIS or does not change devices, this is a recurring problem. Of course it's just a phone call to fix, but it is an issue. Again, it's not a big deal if people know what they are doing but everyone doesn't. I remember buying a 8310, 8330, 9000 and 9700 from people and for all of them I had to call AT&T and Verizon to have the PIN cleared from the previous owners BIS because I couldn't set up my email and I was getting all of their email.
    Seriously dude, one link you posted is from 2007, the other 2009 and the 2010 one was a device on bes from a person within the same company. BIS has been update many times and im sure this doesn't happen anymore.
    06-08-11 04:45 PM
    Seriously dude, one link you posted is from 2007, the other 2009 and the 2010 one was a device on bes from a person within the same company. BIS has been update many times and im sure this doesn't happen anymore.
    Wow, you are ragging on someone who posted a link that is not current. Dude, you have done this in Android threads as well. Annoying right?
    06-08-11 04:51 PM
    Ok. Like I said, I've personally experience this myself and I'm pretty sure many others have. The thing is many don't know because either 1) The original owner has successfully unlinked the PIN from their BIS or 2) The buyer is oblivious so they just call the carrier and they fix it. Everyone doesn't post online when they have issues. But being around here a long time, I've seen it recurring many times. But I've received many emails in the past because of this. So it's definitely a privacy risk. But again, nothing serious is the original owner knows what they are doing when they are getting rid of a blackberry.

And here's some more for you. I don't care how old it is but apparently because you've never experienced it, it's never happened.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f52/sti...ckberry-85628/
    Last edited by scorpiodsu; 06-08-11 at 05:01 PM.
    06-08-11 04:51 PM
    Wow, you are ragging on someone who posted a link that is not current. Dude, you have done this in Android threads as well. Annoying right?
    Raging? This is a civilized conversation.
    06-08-11 05:00 PM
    Well, you sound like you're not gonna see the reality. Keep looking at it in marketshare. I have no desire to see RIM dominate the market, i want to use their products and the service they provide.

and I no longer want to use their products, but I'm stuck in a holding pattern waiting for a 4G Android that I am willing to spend the next two years with. Don't like the screens on the three 4G phones Verizon has so far.
    06-08-11 05:00 PM
    Not raging, ragging.

All I am saying is you just called him out for using links that are not current, and you have done this yourself.
    06-08-11 05:04 PM
    LOL. We're cool man. I don't take these forums as serious and get emotionally invested like many others.
    06-08-11 05:05 PM
    and I no longer want to use their products, but I'm stuck in a holding pattern waiting for a 4G Android that I am willing to spend the next two years with. Don't like the screens on the three 4G phones Verizon has so far.
    Fair enough, on the other hand we're not getting 4G for quite a few years so that's not a priority.
    The new OS7 blackberrys will be hspa+ capable which is technically 4G now though. Unless you're talkink LTE 4G, then again, not even that is real 4G.

06-08-11 05:07 PM
    Rumors have the Samsung Galaxy S2 coming to Verizon in July. It looks like it's going to be a beast.

Samsung Galaxy S2 for Verizon Confirmed for July Release

This might be the device just for you.
    06-08-11 05:16 PM
    Thanks for saving me time typing out a reasonable response.

Its true however, Slash82 seems to be spouting out myths and hear-say instead of facts and experience.

I'm someone who has actually OWNED several Blackberrys, and FWIW my partner uses an HTC Desire.

I don't mind people having an argument to things I say, in fact I love it, but i'd rather people were honest and truthfull, you'd gain my respect more...but I understand this is the internet...anything goes.
    THE GIFT no one wants to fight your thoughts or so...
    But as you said, it�s the Internet not everyone has to agree with you.

You are right, that I never had an Iphone.
    But besides my Blackberry I also have a HTC Desire Z both run on the same internet pack - each 1GB per month, after that they slow me down to GPRS-speed.

With the HTC it�s no problem for me the get my 1GB done within 2weeks of heavy use.
    But I NEVER reached that with my BB - so thats a fact and a experience!

If you are happy with a other brand nice for you thats your thing and I'm glad to hear.
    But please be so polite and don't say things like, that I don�t know what I'm talking about.

I also respect your thought, even I don�t agree with you in all points - I have no doubt that you know what you are talking about...
    06-08-11 05:31 PM
    Rumors have the Samsung Galaxy S2 coming to Verizon in July. It looks like it's going to be a beast.

Those rumors are wrong.

Verizon: report of Galaxy S II going on sale next month isn’t correct | This is my next...
    06-08-11 05:32 PM

Possibly. My concern is there is no definitive knowledge regarding 4G on that phone (unless you have found something that I've missed).

If it has the same gorgeous screen similar to the Fascinate, 4G, decent sound quality, sign me up! Same goes for the Bionic.
    06-08-11 05:49 PM
    Question, how do you add people on iMessage? Is it similar to BlackBerry where each device has its own PIN? Or how does it work?

Thanks
    06-08-11 06:05 PM
    Yeah I just read that too. Too bad though.
    06-08-11 06:21 PM
    Question, how do you add people on iMessage? Is it similar to BlackBerry where each device has its own PIN? Or how does it work?

Thanks
    iMessage and SMS use the same app. The app auto-detects if the person that you're trying to communicate with is also using iOS 5. If this is the case, it will default to iMessage (blue themed). If that person is on a non-iOS 5 device, it will use SMS (green themed).

For phones, there are no PINS or usernames. For iPads and iPod Touches, it uses the name of your iTunes account. You can also do this with iPhone if you don't want to give out your number, I believe.

Also, iPhones can be configured to ONLY use iMessage or ONLY use SMS. Nice for international travel, I'm sure.
    06-08-11 06:21 PM
    Possibly. My concern is there is no definitive knowledge regarding 4G on that phone (unless you have found something that I've missed).

If it has the same gorgeous screen similar to the Fascinate, 4G, decent sound quality, sign me up! Same goes for the Bionic.
    Yeah I would hope it does have 4G for whatever carrier it releases on. If not, that would probably be disappointing. I would think it will with having to compete with the EVO 3D, Sensation, and probably Bionic for supremacy. Let alone the Charge and any other 4G Android. Here's hoping to 4G.
    06-08-11 06:23 PM
    THE GIFT no one wants to fight your thoughts or so...
    But as you said, it�s the Internet not everyone has to agree with you.

You are right, that I never had an Iphone.
    But besides my Blackberry I also have a HTC Desire Z both run on the same internet pack - each 1GB per month, after that they slow me down to GPRS-speed.

With the HTC it�s no problem for me the get my 1GB done within 2weeks of heavy use.
    But I NEVER reached that with my BB - so thats a fact and a experience!

If you are happy with a other brand nice for you thats your thing and I'm glad to hear.
    But please be so polite and don't say things like, that I don�t know what I'm talking about.

I also respect your thought, even I don�t agree with you in all points - I have no doubt that you know what you are talking about...
    Mate, I'm not asking you or anyone for that matter to agree with me, just be truthful to yourself.

As you said, you've never used an iPhone before however you were making misleading statements as if you did. So in theory your iPhone argument holds no weight. Since that's what we're discussing and NOT Android.

..and your point about data is not universal, as every country and provider offer different plans. I pay �20 per month for 1GB, bargain! if you ask me.

But like someone already mentioned, on a blackberry you're not doing half the media stuff an iPhone is capable of, therefore of course with its compressed data it would not exceed limits if used in a normal fashion.
    06-08-11 06:47 PM
262 ... 891011
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD