Keyboard is an important factor for me as well but if I have no contacts in BBM, I don't think a keyboard is going to keep me from moving an iPhone, it's not that important.
    I have a couple of BBM contacts and would have many more iMessaging contacts. I am reluctantly considering giving up the keyboard.
    06-07-11 03:31 PM
    See this is how Apple takes something existent and makes it better... from BGR:

iMessage. While I haven’t spent much time in it, I have talked with a few friends, and it’s pretty ingenious how Apple just extended their SMS / MMS app into a full-fledged messaging service. When you start a new message and type in your buddy’s contact information, Apple will quickly check if they’re on iOS 5 and automatically switch from green (SMS) to blue (iMessage), and you’re off and running. Once you talk to someone on iMessage, future conversations started will show a blue chat icon next to their name as they will be iMessages — brilliant.

Of course we know much of BGR is Apple biased (or so people like to believe) but that doesn't change the fact that the way Apple has implemented iMessage is way better than having a separate app. Everything all in 1 message center. That was always one of my gripes with any IM client is that you have to open different apps to talk to different contacts if they weren't all using the same one. With this, you can chat with all your buddies that don't have an iOS device via SMS and those that do without leaving the app. And you know why this is better? Because the device will automatically find you iMessage buddies and you don't have to ask people for their PIN or screen name. It lessens the hassle and people will use it easily. Again, Apple took something and made it better and easier.
    06-07-11 03:42 PM
    truth is both BBM and iMessage will have problems moving forward. Communication technologies only work when both sender and receiver have compatible equipment.

Postal mail only works if both people have a mailbox.
    Telephones only worked in the past when both people had a telephone and phone line.
    Fax machines only worked in the past when both people had a fax machine.
    SMS only worked when both people had a cell phone.
    BBM only works if the other person has a BlackBerry.
    iMessage only works if the other person has an iDevice.

People are going to say well there is always yahoo message or gtalk or insert your favourite 3rd party cross platform messaging clone. the trick is fragmentation.

If i pick a random person and want to message them, the highest probability of success is still sms

my bet is on facebook because they have critical mass and I am watching what they are doing with their Beluga acquisition.
    06-07-11 03:43 PM
    See this is how Apple takes something existent and makes it better... from BGR:

iMessage. While I haven�t spent much time in it, I have talked with a few friends, and it�s pretty ingenious how Apple just extended their SMS / MMS app into a full-fledged messaging service. When you start a new message and type in your buddy�s contact information, Apple will quickly check if they�re on iOS 5 and automatically switch from green (SMS) to blue (iMessage), and you�re off and running. Once you talk to someone on iMessage, future conversations started will show a blue chat icon next to their name as they will be iMessages � brilliant.

Of course we know much of BGR is Apple biased (or so people like to believe) but that doesn't change the fact that the way Apple has implemented iMessage is way better than having a separate app. Everything all in 1 message center. That was always one of my gripes with any IM client is that you have to open different apps to talk to different contacts if they weren't all using the same one. With this, you can chat with all your buddies that don't have an iOS device via SMS and those that do without leaving the app. And you know why this is better? Because the device will automatically find you iMessage buddies and you don't have to ask people for their PIN or screen name. It lessens the hassle and people will use it easily. Again, Apple took something and made it better and easier.
    Yeah, I wish BBM would do that too but just to correct you on one thing, you can send and receive sms within the BBM app.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    scorpiodsu likes this.
    06-07-11 03:46 PM
    Yeah, I wish BBM would do that too but just to correct you on one thing, you can send and receive sms within the BBM app.

Yes you're right. I know on blackberry you can do everything in messages as well. Sorry for not pointing that out. The key difference though, is that even though all your messages can be in one box, it's still different apps. So you still have to do stuff in each app separately depending on what you're doing. But I do agree for the most part. But the most interesting part here is that the device will be able to automatically recognize contacts who are on iOS devices rather than having to find them. That's important when it comes to adaptation.
    Last edited by scorpiodsu; 06-07-11 at 03:58 PM.
    06-07-11 03:52 PM
    truth is both BBM and iMessage will have problems moving forward. Communication technologies only work when both sender and receiver have compatible equipment.

Postal mail only works if both people have a mailbox.
    Telephones only worked in the past when both people had a telephone and phone line.
    Fax machines only worked in the past when both people had a fax machine.
    SMS only worked when both people had a cell phone.
    BBM only works if the other person has a BlackBerry.
    iMessage only works if the other person has an iDevice.

People are going to say well there is always yahoo message or gtalk or insert your favourite 3rd party cross platform messaging clone. the trick is fragmentation.

If i pick a random person and want to message them, the highest probability of success is still sms

my bet is on facebook because they have critical mass and I am watching what they are doing with their Beluga acquisition.
    I agree. I'm definitely not a fan of single-platform messaging clients. But this is going to be key because Apple's is across all iOS devices and will automatically notify you of your existing contacts who are using iOS. So there's little to work in using the platform. But I do agree with you, at the end of the day, I don't care about it because I'm always changing platforms. But this, like BBM is a selling point for a platform that also intends to give users another reason to not leave the platform. Think about this, if most of the people you talk to are on iOS devices, all your music and media is bought and used through iTunes, you love the app store and all your information is synced in the "cloud" for free..... what really is your incentive to leave? It's pretty hard when you're that deep in an ecosystem. That's Apple and any other company.
    06-07-11 03:56 PM
    Yes you're right. I know on blackberry you can do everything in messages as well. Sorry for not pointing that out. But the most interesting part here is that the device will be able to automatically recognize contacts who are on iOS devices rather than having to find them. That's important when it comes to adaptation.
    Yes and no. Google did something like that recently, where it was Gchat or something with the gmail features where everyone you emailed or messaged one time, all instantly had your information. Maybe it was the Google Buzz case?

It needs to give you an option, instead of automatically syncing everyone with this iMessaging thing if they don't want problems.
    06-07-11 03:57 PM
    It needs to give you an option, instead of automatically syncing everyone with this iMessaging thing if they don't want problems.
    From some of the other reviews I read, it does give you the option. It basically just lets you know when your typing the contact name if they are on an iOS device and can use iMessage. Apparently from there you can have either SMS or iMessage chat. At least from what I've read. Also this is just the first developer seed so I'm sure there will be many more improvements and things tweaks by the fall.
    06-07-11 04:05 PM
    I'll be moving away from RIM to the iPhone/iPad. My bold and PB are just getting blown away by Apples products. The upcoming Bold 9900 is nothing new or exciting to me. The death of RIM...
    06-07-11 04:15 PM
    Yes you're right. I know on blackberry you can do everything in messages as well. Sorry for not pointing that out. The key difference though, is that even though all your messages can be in one box, it's still different apps. So you still have to do stuff in each app separately depending on what you're doing. But I do agree for the most part. But the most interesting part here is that the device will be able to automatically recognize contacts who are on iOS devices rather than having to find them. That's important when it comes to adaptation.
    No, not messages, you can ad texting contacts to BBM directly, they will show as a contact in BBM and when they send you a sms it will sound like the bbm not sms and it will show as a new conversation in BBM.

06-07-11 04:21 PM
    No, not messages, you can ad texting contacts to BBM directly, they will show as a contact in BBM and when they send you a sms it will sound like the bbm not sms and it will show as a new conversation in BBM.

Yes this works if the person is already added as a BBM contact. This is different in that you don't have to add anyone, the app will let you know. I'm not speaking from the point of view that you already have BBM contacts set up. Talking straight out the box, no PINs, no nothing. If you haven't added them and sought out pin numbers and given yours out, you can't do anything. With this from Apple, there's no need for that. So of course as it stands now, if you have everything set up, some functionality is existent. But it took time to get that together. With this, straight out the box you can find all iOS contacts.
    Last edited by scorpiodsu; 06-07-11 at 04:32 PM.
    06-07-11 04:30 PM
    Yes this works if the person is already added as a BBM contact. This is different in that you don't have to add anyone, the app will let you know.
    Not anymore, you can add any sms contact within BBM. I don't know when this has changed exactly but it has been possible for a while.

06-07-11 04:33 PM
    Here's the setting.
    06-07-11 04:45 PM
    Not anymore, you can add any sms contact within BBM. I don't know when this has changed exactly but it has been possible for a while.

Ok I gotcha. But if this offers this option to everyone in your contact list then that means it doesn't know who in your contact list actually has a blackberry. Correct? Because if you can invite someone to chat via BBM and they not have a blackberry then I don't see the point. That appears to be an invitation to chat BBM rather than actually chatting BBM.Like right now, I can invite all my contacts to chat LiveProfile doesn't mean they have an account. And like I said I'm not a fan of single platform clients but no client is integrated like this into a platform that makes it easy to talk to those on the same platform.

Edit: Looked around and found some more info. So what it does is create an environment in BBM to chat with both SMS and BBM clients. But again this is not recognize who is already a BBM contact. That is what I am pointing out. Not just the fact you can chat in one box but the fact you don't have to invite or add users. It does it for you. But that is good a person can do that in BBM. But that assumes that person uses BBM and actually will do this for their contacts.

Add non-BlackBerry contacts to BBM | BBGeeks
    Last edited by scorpiodsu; 06-07-11 at 04:57 PM.
    06-07-11 04:50 PM
    Ok I gotcha. But if this offers this option to everyone in your contact list then that means it doesn't know who in your contact list actually has a blackberry. Correct? Because if you can invite someone to chat via BBM and they not have a blackberry then I don't see the point. That appears to be an invitation to chat BBM rather than actually chatting BBM.Like right now, I can invite all my contacts to chat LiveProfile doesn't mean they have an account. And like I said I'm not a fan of single platform clients but no client is integrated like this into a platform that makes it easy to talk to those on the same platform.
    Yeah, that's the part I wish bbm had.

06-07-11 04:54 PM
    Im already selling my torch. Bye Bye RIM

im gonna miss some contacts, but the udates to this phone are just pathetic. No new features added in more than a year. I got bored with it
    06-07-11 04:58 PM
    Yeah, that's the part I wish bbm had.

Well let's all hope that this new iOS nudges RIM in the right direction to add more feature to their best products and features they haven't had before. All for the benefit of us.... the consumer.
    06-07-11 05:04 PM
    Well let's all hope that this new iOS nudges RIM in the right direction to add more feature to their best products and features they haven't had before. All for the benefit of us.... the consumer.
    good luck with that--RIM doesn't even have an answer for the proliferation of 4G phones...
    06-07-11 05:10 PM
    I'm not sure what you mean by doing stuff in each app separately.

All my messages come into a single message box although I can choose to look at different email addresses if I want.

My texts and BBMs also come into that single message box. If I choose to respond to a BBM once I open the message it automatically shoots me into BBM app. I write my note hit send and then I'm back in my message box again. Same with texts etc.

But somebody pointed out that with BBs have push technology and the message is instantly delivered which is still an advantage.

I wonder with the new iMessages what happens if somebody message somebody who only has the iPod and the receipient isn't anywhere near a wi-fi to pick up the message? How is delivery managed?

What if I want to iMessage my friend in Paris and I'm in Canada will there be long distance charges associated to this?

I know with BBMs there isn't long distance. And if I get a local carrier sim card with Data any one of my BBM contacts in the world can BBM me without anybody incurring any long distance and/or roaming charges.
    06-07-11 05:23 PM

I used to do this, but it's super glitchy and sometimes the messages get lost. Also they show up twice even though you don't want them to show up twice, just once in the bbm app.
    06-07-11 05:40 PM
    good luck with that--RIM doesn't even have an answer for the proliferation of 4G phones...
    4G is not even a question RIM should be spending time on, large scale adoption is atleast 12-18 months out (I don't mean just USA)

RIM DOES need to answer how it expects to compete with iMessage and LiveProfile and those competative apps to their crown Jewel,

I unfortunately think RIM is prepping to ruin BBM, with BBID, but that is an entirely different thread.

Is RIM able to make it easier for Blackberry users to know their contacts are blackberry users and add them to BBM?

What features will they bring to BBM without losing what bbm is?

06-07-11 05:43 PM
    I'm not sure what you mean by doing stuff in each app separately.

I wonder with the new iMessages what happens if somebody message somebody who only has the iPod and the receipient isn't anywhere near a wi-fi to pick up the message? How is delivery managed?
    It'll be the same as in BBM, it won't go through until the recipient is logged in. Apple has built a HUGE control centre that will, if I'm not mistaken, be use for iMessage and their other cloud services. This is their version of RIM's huge NOC.

What if I want to iMessage my friend in Paris and I'm in Canada will there be long distance charges associated to this?
    Probably not. Remember, iMessage is a feature that uses data so I don't see how and why any additional charges would be incurred.

I know with BBMs there isn't long distance. And if I get a local carrier sim card with Data any one of my BBM contacts in the world can BBM me without anybody incurring any long distance and/or roaming charges.
    Depending on which side to look at, that could be good or bad. With iMessage, all you need is wifi and you're set. With a BlackBerry, you could do the same but would have to provision your BlackBerry to the local carrier network.
    Snick Snack likes this.
    06-07-11 06:15 PM
    4G is not even a question RIM should be spending time on, large scale adoption is atleast 12-18 months out (I don't mean just USA)

RIM DOES need to answer how it expects to compete with iMessage and LiveProfile and those competative apps to their crown Jewel,

I unfortunately think RIM is prepping to ruin BBM, with BBID, but that is an entirely different thread.

Is RIM able to make it easier for Blackberry users to know their contacts are blackberry users and add them to BBM?

What features will they bring to BBM without losing what bbm is?

I can't agree with your comments re 4G. RIM is getting their clock cleaned by the avalanche of Androids--both 3 and 4G. Nearly every DAY, Verizon is turning on 4g coverage in some city in the US. It is the wave of the IMMEDIATE future. Who in a city or suburbs that has/is getting 4G soon would buy an obsolete 3G phone at this point? either the clueless or the very well-heeled (let's skip the gadget ***** for now) , as the well-heeled simply buy another phone whenever they wish, rather than wait 2 years.
    06-07-11 06:16 PM
    I can't agree with your comments re 4G. RIM is getting their clock cleaned by the avalanche of Androids--both 3 and 4G. Nearly every DAY, Verizon is turning on 4g coverage in some city in the US. It is the wave of the IMMEDIATE future. Who in a city or suburbs that has/is getting 4G soon would buy an obsolete 3G phone at this point? either the clueless or the very well-heeled (let's skip the gadget ***** for now) , as the well-heeled simply buy another phone whenever they wish, rather than wait 2 years.
    I wasn't aware Verizon was a global company.

And I do not for a second thing it is the 4G element of the Android phones that is making them sell like they are, it very much is the all touch screen, or the horizontal slider form factors which RIM does not offer in any compelling shape or form on Verizon.

consumers proved when 3G was launched that the quantity of G's wasn't all that mattered as the Curve was not compatible with 3G yet sold very very well
    06-07-11 06:43 PM
    But somebody pointed out that with BBs have push technology and the message is instantly delivered which is still an advantage.

iMessage will work the same way as BBM in that it will be sync'd to iCloud. Beside if there is no one there it will still receive the message. The iPad and iPhone still receive emails when unattended so I don't see how iMessage will be any different. The difference will be that if you have a WiFi only signal it will still work, unlike BBM.

What this means is that if you want to iMessage your friend in Paris and you are on holidays in another country you won't have to pay data roaming charges on your iPhone as you can get your emails and iMessages over free WiFi.
    06-07-11 08:08 PM
262 ... 56789 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD