So to hopefully put this train back on the rails... RIM really needs to push their new OS out and hope they can follow up with QNX pretty damn fast. Or make OS7 have something that will keep people with BB and draw people in. What they have planned with BBM seems pretty cool and everything else that has leaked is also pretty cool. But hopefully, for their sake, they come out with something else Apple will want to steal and try and make as good as RIM can.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by eKafara; 06-06-11 at 10:10 PM.
    06-06-11 08:49 PM
    so are we talking profiles? display pictures? status messages? ping? bbm style contact lists? or just d and r receipts?
    06-06-11 09:56 PM
    not a good idea. if bbm moves to android, im moving away from bb
    ITs tricky because if Apple or Android comes out with a BBM competing product, would you go to to Apple or Android??

Either way, people will move away from Blackberry. In the end, no strong reasons to stay with Blackberry; and with or without BBM on other devices, people will still get Apple or Android.

It seems that the only way for Blackberry to win is to come out with a cooler hardware and better apps for Blackberry.

- Charles
    JFTeran likes this.
    06-06-11 10:49 PM
    I strongly believe that BBM needs to go cross platform or RIM needs to do something. And I don't think it has to be all that drastic, but without action I do think Apple's marketing alone could kill BBM.
    06-06-11 11:04 PM
    I strongly believe that BBM needs to go cross platform or RIM needs to do something. And I don't think it has to be all that drastic, but without action I do think Apple's marketing alone could kill BBM.
    RIM's best days are behind them.
    06-06-11 11:19 PM
    iOS 5 works with specialized hardware accessories. The LED flash and custom vibration settings let you see and feel when someone’s calling..

from apple website

looks like next iphone will have notification light as well..
    06-06-11 11:44 PM
    The led flash is where I get confused. Does the iPhone 4 have an led to flash? Or will it flash the screen? I figure the new phone, when it's released will have an led notification for sure. Guess it doesn't matter.... I will buy the new phone either way, when it's released.
    06-06-11 11:56 PM
    So reading initial iOS 5 reviews on the beta, iMessage works with a required AppleID. You can add as many ID's as you want and switch between them so there is a "logging in" aspect to it if you want to call it that. Also, it is built into the Messages app already on iOS so it's going to be interesting how things are organized between SMS and "AppleID messages".
    06-07-11 12:17 AM
    I believe that RIM should respond with their own version of facetime.
    06-07-11 12:22 AM
    I believe that RIM should respond with their own version of facetime.
    Good idea! RIM can do this in two more years when they release a device with a front facing camera.
    06-07-11 12:28 AM
    Every time I switch phones, I always end up back on my blackberry for four reasons:

- Physical keyboard
    - Profiles
    - Notification LED
    - Stellar battery life

I don't understand what's so great about BBM (haven't used it) but these things always keep me coming back. Also, I just feel faster using my bold. And trust me, I've tried them all. I can't stand the slow pace of innovation, but they do these few things so right that I can't get away.
    06-07-11 12:29 AM
    Every time I switch phones, I always end up back on my blackberry for four reasons:

- Physical keyboard
    - Profiles
    - Notification LED
    - Stellar battery life

I don't understand what's so great about BBM (haven't used it) but these things always keep me coming back. Also, I just feel faster using my bold. And trust me, I've tried them all. I can't stand the slow pace of innovation, but they do these few things so right that I can't get away.
    Next time you switch back to Blackberry make sure you also come back to the year 2011 since you're basically taking a step backwards.

BTW love that tiny low resolution display!
    06-07-11 12:31 AM
    Next time you switch back to Blackberry make sure you also come back to the year 2011 since you're basically taking a step backwards.

BTW love that tiny low resolution display!
    I literally have an atrix 4g on my desk, and no matter what app I try, I can't get profiles anywhere near what my bold offers. And I'm sorry for offending you with my opinion
    ibigberries and JFTeran like this.
    06-07-11 12:35 AM
    Good idea! RIM can do this in two more years when they release a device with a front facing camera.
    judging by your replies to posters in this thread, i feel as if this commercial was targeted towards you.

Conan Video - Apple Introduces Latest Hit: The "iDea" 04/20/11 - TeamCoco.com
    Last edited by ibigberries; 06-07-11 at 01:00 AM.
    06-07-11 12:56 AM
    Pretty much. Now, wait for the flood of iPhone users that now say "OMG iMessage is so cool, it's BBM for iOS" when previously, it was like "BBM is so useless, why not just text or e-mail". This is a perfect example of how sad extreme Apple fans are, if Apple doesn't do it, it's not worth it but as soon as they come out with it, it's the best thing.

But at the same time, it's not surprising. Apple should've had something like this a long time ago. Something like iChat for the Mac (thought when Apple did come out with a messaging app, it would've been called iChat). This pretty much changes the smartphone game for RIM.
    Yiiheaah, same happens with blackberry fanboys trash talking about android apps and how they didn't need them, but now, they jump in joy knowing the playbook will run them. You can see that behavior everywhere, extremists will be on every side, the typical closed minded i dont want it but when its here give it to me because i like it.

Same for the bold, "the processor right now its fine, we dont need that power, the phone does what i want", bold 9900 gets announced, with a 1.2ghz, gpu and all the "iToys" and "iSparkles", and forum floods with threads with people asking where it is.
    Last edited by gbsn; 06-07-11 at 01:08 AM.
    The Gift and thecoach1999 like this.
    06-07-11 01:06 AM

- Physical keyboard
    - Profiles
    - Notification LED
    - Stellar battery life

BBM allows you to talk to anybody in your BBM contact anywhere in the world without long distance charges.

When my friend was in Paris I could BBM her directly and there was no international text message costs involved.

When I was in Hawaii my friends from Canada and US could BBM me without anybody incurring roaming or long distance charges.

Once you start using BBM you'll understand why it's great.
    06-07-11 01:11 AM
    iMessages may be the greatest feature to arrive to the iOS platform since Copy/Paste, however its objective is to reduce platform churn over attracting new users to the platform.
    iOS marketshare is still growing. In the US, it's growing despite being only one two carriers (with one coming late in the cycle) and Android/BB being on literally every large and small (even pre-paid) carrier. That doesn't even count PMP and Tablet devices, where Android and RIM are factorably weaker than Apple.

This will do nothing but attract new customers. Apple isn't experiencing any churn on any measurable level if the marketshare numbers are to be believed (which only includes the iPhone on Verizon and AT&T here, not the iPad and iTouch).
    06-07-11 05:09 AM
    I wonder how are they gonna make it work without a NOC, if you send a message and the other person has the phone off what happens to your message?

06-07-11 05:37 AM
    iOS 5 works with specialized hardware accessories. The LED flash and custom vibration settings let you see and feel when someone�s calling..

from apple website

looks like next iphone will have notification light as well..
    I've just seen that on the apple website too. Its a wrap!

LED flash alerts and BBM....that was ALL that I missed about my previous BlackBerrys...now my iPhone will have these capabilities...there is nothing really for me to complain about.

I don't know how Apple will top all this with the iPhone 5, usually they hold out on features for adding on future hardware...so all this iOS 5 goodiness is really surprising.

In all honesty, i'm not even that excited about iMessage, I'm more pumped up for the other features noted in iOS5!
    06-07-11 05:42 AM
    If you want a BB get a BB and use BBM.
    If you want an Iphone get an iphone and use imessage.

No company is going out of business over a single messaging app.
    It's all about being cool and happening. You achieve that, you'll lead the market. Untill the next best thing passes by.
    fnguyen and JFTeran like this.
    06-07-11 05:55 AM
    I wonder how are they gonna make it work without a NOC, if you send a message and the other person has the phone off what happens to your message?

They just built a huge *** data center in Raleigh for the iCloud. Since all the iDevices will talk to it...
    06-07-11 06:17 AM
    oh really? well, if the cops pull us over and take our phones, they get all the iphone data and none of my pearl's.

any questions? other than whether i have enough to post bail for the iphone guy?

lulz

of course this only helps if they dont beat the password out me, but hey.
    Lolwut? And what data are the cops going to be looking for? Your contact list so they can start spamming your contacts? Maybe they're going to steal any credit card info you have so they can do some online shopping..lol..give me a break.

Oh wait..your a drug dealer and don't want your messages incriminating you read? Ahh..I see now. If your in the drug business and all's you can afford is a Pearl you might want to find a new line of work mmmkay?
    06-07-11 08:27 AM
    Lolwut? And what data are the cops going to be looking for? Your contact list so they can start spamming your contacts? Maybe they're going to steal any credit card info you have so they can do some online shopping..lol..give me a break.

Oh wait..your a drug dealer and don't want your messages incriminating you read? Ahh..I see now. If your in the drug business and all's you can afford is a Pearl you might want to find a new line of work mmmkay?
    Let him be, he really thinks blackberry are that "secure". They are secure wirelessly. But once a real reverse engineer investigator gets its hands on it, its done, you can extract anything. In fact, it doesn't even take a reverse engineer, a "computer guy" can do that.

When cops pull you over, and have suspicion that the person was talking and driving, they can easily verify it using the cell tower, not the phone, if thats what the whole "cop pull us over" was about.
    06-07-11 08:37 AM

Hmmm, how about your location for the last year? Did you miss the news a few weeks ago? A whole forensic industry evolved around the hidden file within the iphone.
    06-07-11 08:39 AM
    Let him be, he really thinks blackberry are that "secure". They are secure wirelessly. But once a real reverse engineer investigator gets its hands on it, its done, you can extract anything. In fact, it doesn't even take a reverse engineer, a "computer guy" can do that.

When cops pull you over, and have suspicion that the person was talking and driving, they can easily verify it using the cell tower, not the phone, if thats what the whole "cop pull us over" was about.
    Cops or anybody can do nothing with a password locked blackberry as a complete wipe and rewrite is performed if you enter the password wrong a few times.

06-07-11 08:43 AM
262 ... 34567 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD