Your standard user doing international chat will not care about message encryption, nor will most consumers.. If they did we would not be using so much gmail in the first place...
    Your standard user would rather just use the integrated app then download a third party google talk app too. Plus with both iMessage and BBM you know the message was delivered and read. Don't think it supports sending pics either.
    06-06-11 03:40 PM
    Don't forget BBM is not staying still, with the 9900 it's moving into agumented reality and gaming.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-06-11 03:41 PM
    pretty much agree that this is NOT a good thing for RIM. apple just put the last nail in the coffin...
    Really?......oh no!.......WTH.............
    06-06-11 03:45 PM
    I guess this very much depends on your country, in places like northern africa, people are actually concerned with message encryption.
    I'm devastated that iMessages might not gain the favor of Northern Africa. Shocking.
    vrs626 likes this.
    06-06-11 03:59 PM
    I'm devastated that iMessages might not gain the favor of Northern Africa. Shocking.
    Do me a favor, leave those blinkers on.
    06-06-11 04:08 PM
    So it's been described as working over 3G and WIFI, what about GPRS and EDGE? If it needs eG it means it will be very data intensive, possibly needing a constant connection.
    06-06-11 04:09 PM
    Do me a favor, leave those blinkers on.
    I think you meant "blinders," and I gladly will. On today of all days, I think you need all the favors you can get.
    06-06-11 04:14 PM
    Yes but my BBM messages are encrypted from device to BIS or BES to device. Not sure about iMessage... Google talk is not from what I can find. This is important to me, especially when I travel to China or other places where the local governments are a little too nosy.
    iMessages will also be encrypted.
    06-06-11 04:26 PM
    I think you meant "blinders," and I gladly will. On today of all days, I think you need all the favors you can get.
    blinkers will do, enjoy the thread.
    06-06-11 04:34 PM
    HAHA... jesus christ. RIM needs to push forward today. not tomorrow, not in a month, not next year.
    They needed to push forward yesterday

06-06-11 04:54 PM
    Gotta love people that think of technology purchases as a "team" based sport....
    They think of themselves as a whole different class in society, or that's how I gather from the Apple users around me. Well most of them, not all. It's sad they think a device makes you better then other people.

06-06-11 05:05 PM
    has anybody seen the big gaping hole in the iMessages strategy?

everybody seems to rush to check feature parity with BBM...without thinking the product through. BBM is a social network, one with tens of millions of users who chat with each other. They all use BBM on their BlackBerry smartphones to talk to other's with BlackBerry smartphones.

iMessages will have to achieve the same adoption across the iOS platform to create its own network of users. If this is successful (and Apple has made a strong effort) it will be a driver to reduce churn and keep iOS users on the platform.

If your circle of friends uses BBM and BlackBerry devices and you get an iOS device, you cannot use iMessages to chat with your friends unless they too have iOS devices.

iMessages is not really competition for BBM, it is more of a compelling feature for social circles who use iOS
    06-06-11 05:32 PM

everybody seems to rush to check feature parity with BBM...without thinking the product through. BBM is a social network, one with tens of millions of users who chat with each other. They all use BBM on their BlackBerry smartphones to talk to other's with BlackBerry smartphones.

iMessages will have to achieve the same adoption across the iOS platform to create its own network of users. If this is successful (and Apple has made a strong effort) it will be a driver to reduce churn and keep iOS users on the platform.

If your circle of friends uses BBM and BlackBerry devices and you get an iOS device, you cannot use iMessages to chat with your friends unless they too have iOS devices.

iMessages is not really competition for BBM, it is more of a compelling feature for social circles who use iOS

LOL really??? I guess you are refusing to BELIEVE RIM is losing its marketshare FAST!!!!! iMessage will catch FIRE the moment it is released..even RIM knows that
    06-06-11 05:54 PM

I think you missed everyone's point.

A lot of the BB users i know already want iPhones, but are bbm addicts like me :-). Most of the ones I've spoken to today are jumping ship with the announcement of iMessage. Once that happens, everyones bbm social network starts to slowly become smaller. If you don't have the same fun large group to chat with, then you dont really have a reason to stick around either. Developing a network of iOS users to chat with isn't an issue either when you consider iPad, iPhone, AND iTouch users.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    06-06-11 05:57 PM
    I think you missed everyone's point.

A lot of the BB users i know already want iPhones, but are bbm addicts like me :-). Most of the ones I've spoken to today are jumping ship with the announcement of iMessage. Once that happens, everyones bbm social network starts to slowly become smaller. If you don't have the same fun large group to chat with, then you dont really have a reason to stick around either. Developing a network of iOS users to chat with isn't an issue either when you consider iPad, iPhone, AND iTouch users.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    you have a fair point when it comes to entire social circles, however moving 40-50 of your friends/relatives over to a new platform is a fair bit of a challenge.
    06-06-11 06:09 PM
    LOL really??? I guess you are refusing to BELIEVE RIM is losing its marketshare FAST!!!!! iMessage will catch FIRE the moment it is released..even RIM knows that
    iMessages may be the greatest feature to arrive to the iOS platform since Copy/Paste, however its objective is to reduce platform churn over attracting new users to the platform.
    06-06-11 06:13 PM
    Everyone relax. RIM has until September to release their updates to BBM. I'm sure they are working on something good for us. Will they take a hit? Probably but I don't it will be massive one. Remember this will only be for iOS users. Apple is making the same mistake by limited it to their service only. I doubt a messenger will draw many BB users as they prefer a physical keyboard for extending typing, business use, and email. I have an iPod touch for my music and that's about all I use it for since I use my BB for everything else.

Again...this will mainly be for iOS users and unless Apple releases it to work on other platforms they will end of in the same spot that RIM hit and most likely wait to see what new stuff RIM adds so they can go and steal it.
    06-06-11 06:23 PM
    Hey Kevin, where are you? Looking forward to hear from you on this one.

Would be great to have bbm and imessage talk to each other.

Hearing all of you saying that RIM is dead etc...I seriously doubt that they did not see one coming, and I am sure they are prepared.
    of course they are, they have "liquid graphics"...
    06-06-11 06:41 PM
    of course they are, they have "liquid graphics"...
    How about agumented reality in BBM and gaming coming to OS7?
    06-06-11 07:02 PM
    How about agumented reality in BBM and gaming coming to OS7?
    oh yeah that too...and NFC etc, after using a physical keyboard i don't know if i can get used to the touchscreen typing
    06-06-11 07:28 PM
    I'm happy that IOS 5 fixes most of the annoyances I had. Now that it has a "true" notification system, I'm happy to leave Blackberry. I've come back too many times for too many unfullfiled promises.

Bye RIM. Go die now. Lol jk

06-06-11 07:50 PM
    iOS 5 also has LED notification for missed calls and alerts. This was not mentioned at WWDC, but it is one of the new features of iOS 5. Obviously it will only be on those phones and devices with LED flash.
    06-06-11 07:58 PM
    iOS 5 also has LED notification for missed calls and alerts. This was not mentioned at WWDC, but it is one of the new features of iOS 5. Obviously it will only be on those phones and devices with LED flash.
    Where did you find this?? That would be awesome! FINALLY!
    06-06-11 08:27 PM
    Explain the "security" aspect to the majority of iOS device owners and they will either not care of haven't a clue what you're talking about. I'm sure Apple has thier bases covered making this a non issue.
    oh really? well, if the cops pull us over and take our phones, they get all the iphone data and none of my pearl's.

any questions? other than whether i have enough to post bail for the iphone guy?

lulz

of course this only helps if they dont beat the password out me, but hey.
    06-06-11 08:34 PM
    Everybody hates anything better than what they have.

Also funny, I was reading an article where security experts claim iOS to be the most secure mobile OS available... don't expect any viruses on iOS anytime soon.
    Funny. I heard it can be hacked in under 30 seconds. Ill have to look for proof for you first though.

Edit:
    Well it took me about as long to find the article as the guys who hacked the iphone. 20 seconds

http://m.zdnet.com/blog/security/pwn2own-2010-iphone-hacked-sms-database-hijacked/5836
    Last edited by eKafara; 06-06-11 at 11:27 PM.
    06-06-11 08:40 PM
262 ... 23456 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD