Sorry if this has allready been addressed, but does anyone know if iMessage has a character limit?
    06-11-11 05:57 PM
    Something tells me it's like text messaging. No limit...

Sorry if this has allready been addressed, but does anyone know if iMessage has a character limit?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    06-11-11 07:31 PM
    i want to say a few things. i have a bb and a iphone. ive had a bb for about 4 years now and i got my first iphone in february 2010.

1. its about time they finally have their own bb type app. i actually sent jobs a long email about this (not that he read it).

2. i dislike the integration with the messaging app. how will statuses work? display pics? i wish they were separate. What if I WANT to text someone, i will probably have to go to contacts and send them a text from there due to the fact they might be travelling and texting is cheaper than data. I dont know, this whole thing doesnt look good to me just yet. But im happy anyway. im sure a jailbreak developer will be able to fix some if not all my concerns anyway.

3. someone asked if the id will be tied to the phone. no it wont, its tied to your itunes email account as far as I understand this. But that could change between now and the fall.

4. getting rid of liveprofile and android is not really smart (but to each their own). imessage is iphones, ipads and ipods only. U still need a liveprofile or a whatsapp if u want something for bb or androids to iphone.

i wouldnt be surprised if someone cracks the imessage app and u are able to get it from cydia or somewhere soon.

i wouldnt do it cuz u lose your jailbreak. big deal breaker for me
    i removed your link:

• please do not promote this as this is illegal to do unless you're a developer or you're added to a developer's account.
    • some are reporting not being able to activate the carrier (no phone calls)
    06-12-11 01:27 AM
    i removed your link:

• please do not promote this as this is illegal to do unless you're a developer or you're added to a developer's account.
    • some are reporting not being able to activate the carrier (no phone calls)

while the link being removed doesnt bother me. i must say u cant say thats anymore illegal than all the unauthorized blackberry o.s. leaks that get posted and blogged here.

the same leaks rim has had the file hosting companies delete only to be re-posted. this is just a bug in the software that lets u open it.

now saying that a disclaimer should be added for bugs is one thing. but saying it is illegal is a blatant exaggeration and a little hypocritical with all the software leaks CB posts.
    06-12-11 01:55 AM
    while the link being removed doesnt bother me. i must say u cant say thats anymore illegal than all the unauthorized blackberry o.s. leaks that get posted and blogged here.

the same leaks rim has had the file hosting companies delete only to be re-posted. this is just a bug in the software that lets u open it.

now saying that a disclaimer should be added for bugs is one thing. but saying it is illegal is a blatant exaggeration and a little hypocritical with all the software leaks CB posts.
    I'm not going to compare the two, nor is this up for debate. The link being downloaded and installed can lead to a unbrickable phone that won't be serviced by Apple. Simple.

Someone used your link and now has a paperweight because reverting is not working.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    06-12-11 02:26 AM
    i want to say a few things. i have a bb and a iphone. ive had a bb for about 4 years now and i got my first iphone in february 2010.

1. its about time they finally have their own bb type app. i actually sent jobs a long email about this (not that he read it).

2. i dislike the integration with the messaging app. how will statuses work? display pics? i wish they were separate. What if I WANT to text someone, i will probably have to go to contacts and send them a text from there due to the fact they might be travelling and texting is cheaper than data. I dont know, this whole thing doesnt look good to me just yet. But im happy anyway. im sure a jailbreak developer will be able to fix some if not all my concerns anyway.

3. someone asked if the id will be tied to the phone. no it wont, its tied to your itunes email account as far as I understand this. But that could change between now and the fall.

4. getting rid of liveprofile and android is not really smart (but to each their own). imessage is iphones, ipads and ipods only. U still need a liveprofile or a whatsapp if u want something for bb or androids to iphone.

i wouldnt be surprised if someone cracks the imessage app and u are able to get it from cydia or somewhere soon.

i wouldnt do it cuz u lose your jailbreak. big deal breaker for me
    You can turn iMessage off if they're away.

06-12-11 02:33 AM
    I'm not going to compare the two, nor is this up for debate. The link being downloaded and installed can lead to a unbrickable phone that won't be serviced by Apple. Simple.

Someone used your link and now has a paperweight because reverting is not working.

u can remove this link after but pass along this link to them. he had issues also

How to Downgrade iOS 5 Back to iOS 4.3.3 Tutorial [Video] | Jailbreak Movies
    06-12-11 12:34 PM
    A question for those using iMessage:

With my BB, if I send a BBM (or a text message for that matter) when I have no cell reception, my BB queues it up and then sends it as soon as I have coverage.

I know from my iP4 SMS app that it just fails to send and I have to manually go back in when I have coverage, check if it was sent or not and then, if not, re-send. This is a bit of a pain and clearly not as handy as BB, particularly given I use the metro a good deal where there is no reception.

Does iMessage queue up messages and then send them once you have coverage again? or does it mimic the SMS app behaviour and simply fail?

Many thanks,
    07-06-11 06:19 AM
    If iMessage fails to send for any reason you will be asked to resend as a SMS. This is what I have noticed so far.
    07-06-11 11:12 AM
    If iMessage fails to send for any reason you will be asked to resend as a SMS. This is what I have noticed so far.
    Thanks - does it do that even if you have no immediate cell reception?

What I mean is that, if I send a BBM and I am on the metro or somewhere similar where I don't have cell reception, the BB queues up the message and just sends it as soon as I have coverage. Same for SMS.

On an iPhone, using the SMS app or a 3rd party message app like Whatsapp, the sending just fails altogether. You have to go back into the app when you have coverage again, and then re-send.

I was hoping that iMessage would mimic the BB in this respect - ie if it has no coverage, it waits till it has some form of coverage and then sends as iMessage or SMS.
    07-07-11 11:21 AM
    If you have no reception it will fail with an exclamation point meaning you have to resend
    07-07-11 12:02 PM
    If you have no reception it will fail with an exclamation point meaning you have to resend
    Damn. That's what I was afraid of. One definite downside as compared with BBM. Shame but thanks for checking.
    07-07-11 12:15 PM
    No prob but don't make that a deciding factor.....
    07-07-11 12:18 PM
    No prob but don't make that a deciding factor.....
    it won't be! I have both iP4 and BB - just trying to weigh up overall pros and cons....
    07-07-11 12:20 PM
    Good explanation of iMessage: Thanks to macrumors

What does it do?
    It's built into your iOS's Messaging app (the same one you already send Texts in). When you go to text someone, iOS 5 will automatically detect if that person is using an iOS 5 device & send it as an iMessage. If they aren't using iOS 5, it just sends it as a Text automatically. The End-user does NOTHING different that what you do today.

What are the benefits of iMessage versus just Texting?
    -iMessages don't count against texting plans
    -iMessages will tell you if your message is delivered (and Read, which is optional)
    -There is no character limit, unlike the 160 characters in SMS
    -iMessages use data (ex. 1KB), so you iMessage people internationally cheaper than SMS
    -iMessage works on iPod touch, iPad
    -Group Messaging
    -iMessage works on Edge & 3G & Wifi (Good for us AT&T users with no reception )

What's the difference between iMessage & WhatsApp or Kik?
    -To use WhatsApp or Kik, the other user has to have the those Apps. iMessage is built in.
    -You use one app for SMS/iMessage, versus using WhatsApp and SMS/iMessage
    -It's free (unlike WhatsApp)
    -WhatsApp & Kik work on Android/iOS/Other platforms, iMessage is only for iOS 5 Devices
    -With WhatsApp, you'll have messages scattered across WhatsApp and between your default Messages app.
    -iMessages works on iPod touch/iPads. WhatsApp does not work on iPod touches/Wifi iPads

The Key here is: you do NOTHING different than you're currently doing to send an iMessage/Text; iOS picks the best option (iMessage being the best since all the benefits I listed above).

Why wouldn't you use iMessage?
    -The only reason I can think of is this, you're traveling internationally & data is more expensive than international texting.

It makes no sense not to use iMessage. You can still use WhatsApp or Kik for Android/WP7 users but it makes no sense not to take advantage of iMessage too.

In summary: Apple automatically sends your texts are iMessages when possible (which is good since it's cheaper & has a lot of benefits.) People will be sending iMessages & not even know it (people who are oblivious that is).
    07-07-11 12:21 PM
    I have ios 5 and must say that from a former blackberry fanatic, it really is awesome.

Bbm is sill better as it has great groups and status updates. But at least now iMessage (and all the oter great iphone stuff) is enough to make me not miss blackberry at all.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-08-11 01:17 AM
    I gave my bb to my son who uses it as a toy.
    Accidental Post likes this.
    07-11-11 03:02 AM
    ok updated. now i can't change my wallpaper or update my apps. anyone else having this?
    07-12-11 05:42 PM
    Nope. Reboot your phone.
    07-13-11 10:05 AM
    ugh i even posted in wrong thread. >< and yeah i had to a couple times and it finally worked.
    07-13-11 10:35 AM
    I love that you can turn read receipt off in iMessage! Hated feeling like I couldn't open my BBM without starting a timer for some impatient people!
    10-13-11 10:10 AM
    I love that you can turn read receipt off in iMessage! Hated feeling like I couldn't open my BBM without starting a timer for some impatient people!
    You can... Settings->Messages-> Send Read Receipts then click "Off". You can even turn iMessage off if you want to.
    10-13-11 10:23 AM
    You can... Settings->Messages-> Send Read Receipts then click "Off". You can even turn iMessage off if you want to.
    I think that's the point pri79269 is making.
    pri79269 likes this.
    10-13-11 10:43 AM
    I think that's the point pri79269 is making.
    Yes, I know. I was just posting how to do it for those interested.
    10-13-11 10:46 AM
    I personally think that iMessage as it is is amazingly stupid. I don't get the point.
    10-13-11 11:36 AM
110 ... 2345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD