And now, Apple is doing the same thing. I think the outcome may be a bit different though. Apple is very good at making that keep folks dialed into the ecosystem.
    I think a big difference is that since users won't have to invest time in finding BB contacts people won't care about their iMessage contact shrinking because at the end of the day those users were already existing contacts that you were already talking to via text. So you don't have to change applications to still talk to them. I think that's a huge difference. So whether they keep their device or not, you are still chatting with them within the same application.

Another thing is that this would probably be used more widespread since it is across all iOS devices. So as more people buy iPads and iPods and new iPhones and then the iPhone finally get's released on all carriers, the amount of users will be tremendous.

Even if I changed to iOS, I doubt that I'd use the proprietary system. I am a big proponent of cross-platform operability.
    Agreed. Not a fan myself. Too many people changing platforms too often and devices to keep up with current information. Right now, facebook chat is easier than all of them LOL. People that have other clients like AIM, YIM etc.... sign in when they feel like it but are always on facebook. One way Apple would destroy RIM is to integrate facebook into the platform like twitter and then facebook chat. That would be ridiculous.
    06-08-11 01:39 PM
    so i don't really use ichat, so what is the appeal of this? it's like BBM for iphone right? so only iphone/ipod users can access it?
    06-08-11 01:59 PM
    I think a big difference is that since users won't have to invest time in finding BB contacts people won't care about their iMessage contact shrinking because at the end of the day those users were already existing contacts that you were already talking to via text. So you don't have to change applications to still talk to them. I think that's a huge difference. So whether they keep their device or not, you are still chatting with them within the same application.

Another thing is that this would probably be used more widespread since it is across all iOS devices. So as more people buy iPads and iPods and new iPhones and then the iPhone finally get's released on all carriers, the amount of users will be tremendous.

Agreed. Not a fan myself. Too many people changing platforms too often and devices to keep up with current information. Right now, facebook chat is easier than all of them LOL. People that have other clients like AIM, YIM etc.... sign in when they feel like it but are always on facebook. One way Apple would destroy RIM is to integrate facebook into the platform like twitter and then facebook chat. That would be ridiculous.
    Good points.
    06-08-11 02:28 PM
    I don't think you're understanding it correctly. It's not stealing music for 25 bucks. It allows the user to match their music that they haven't bought via iTunes (like ripping CDs or whatever) to also be able to be used in the cloud so they don't have to purchase their music again and have it all it sync. Apple already has the deal in place with the music companies to allow this so there should be no legal issues whatsoever. Don't over think it.
    I don't understand it. I think you are missing what im saying. They will scan your library and give u a licensed copy of any son you have that u did not previously buy through them for only 25 bucks.

What if you have 30 000 songs? What music companies are insane enough to let you do this? Apple is doing this for free.

Come on. Doesn't this sound a lil crazy to anyone else out there ?

Interesting you don't like the integration. I see your point when international travel is involved but I would think for a majority of users the default to iMessage over SMS would be a money saver.

I wish my Blackberry would default my contacts to using BBM when possible. Most people are so ingrained to SMS and I think many find it a hassle to switch between two messaging applications.
    I hate texting on my blackberry. I Love texting on my iPhone. It's kind of weird since one has a keyboard and the other doesn't. My iPhone is jailbroken and I use bitesms. I couldn't ever imagine using the default texting app on the iPhone.
    There's the rub... one reason I found it hard to leave BlackBerry was BBM. The thing was that eventually, my BBM contact pool kept on getting smaller and smaller. I believe the closed nature of BBM sometimes hurts it.

And now, Apple is doing the same thing. I think the outcome may be a bit different though. Apple is very good at making that keep folks dialed into the ecosystem.

Even if I changed to iOS, I doubt that I'd use the proprietary system. I am a big proponent of cross-platform operability.

Again, if it is confirmed that iTunes is NOT required for daily operation (and I could keep my current plan on Sprint), I'd consider it.
    U don't necessarily require iTunes for day to day stuff. It's more to backup and add new songs. Props to iOS 4, there was other software to add music which I used. But when iOS 4 came out, none of them worked. So I used iTunes and got used to it. Those apps have all been update by now I would assume.
    06-08-11 04:06 PM
    so i don't really use ichat, so what is the appeal of this? it's like BBM for iphone right? so only iphone/ipod users can access it?
    Any device running iOS5 will have it.
    06-08-11 04:27 PM
    I forgot it said 15 000 song limit
    06-08-11 04:31 PM
    Here's a picture of how it works when you first try to text someone.

http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/06/imess.jpg
    skynny70 likes this.
    06-09-11 01:24 AM
    Roo Zilla, thanks for sharing the detailed screen shot! Brilliant info...
    06-09-11 08:06 AM
    I have ios5 beta on my iPhone. And I have to say. I LOVE imessage. Works awesome.

Finally something to fill the void of bbm.

It does allow you to turn it on an off. Which is fine. But it also allowed to I turn off read receipt which I don't like. I think if you wanna use imessage and see other people read receipts, you gotta show yours!!! Lol

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-09-11 10:57 AM
    I don't understand it. I think you are missing what im saying. They will scan your library and give u a licensed copy of any son you have that u did not previously buy through them for only 25 bucks.

What if you have 30 000 songs? What music companies are insane enough to let you do this? Apple is doing this for free.

Come on. Doesn't this sound a lil crazy to anyone else out there ?
    See this is where you may want to do some research. Apple has reached deal with the record companies for their iCloud services. I'm pretty sure they told them what iCloud is and what it will do which is probably why there's a small fee for music mot purchased through iTunes. So I'm pretty sure there's no legal ramifications. Apple would not have announced anything like that or even do it if the record companies did not want them to. Especially given that record companies make millions of dollars with their relationship with Apple because of iTunes. Unlike Google who pissed off all the record companies by launching Google music without letting anyone know.

Apple's Jobs to Unveil iCloud Service - WSJ.com

Apple signs deal with final major record company for iCloud - New Media - New Media | siliconrepublic.com - Ireland's Technology News Service

So again, you're making statements without seeing what has already been done for Apple to offer this service.
    06-09-11 11:58 AM
    Can someone please confirm:

1. How many email addresses can you 'register' for\with iMessage?
    2. And I take it you register one phone number, too, right?

Thanks in advance.

Ivan
    06-09-11 12:08 PM
    06-09-11 12:10 PM
    Can someone please confirm:

1. How many email addresses can you 'register' for\with iMessage?
    2. And I take it you register one phone number, too, right?

Thanks in advance.

Ivan
    I would think you can only do 1 account at a time. And when you switch it will them working accordingly to that ID. Don't think a phone number will matter since it works across all iOS devices including those without phone numbers.
    06-09-11 12:16 PM
    I saw this image (attached), and it shows the phone number, thus my question...

I would think you can only do 1 account at a time. And when you switch it will them working accordingly to that ID. Don't think a phone number will matter since it works across all iOS devices including those without phone numbers.
    06-09-11 12:29 PM
    This, is interesting..
    06-09-11 12:37 PM
    I saw this image (attached), and it shows the phone number, thus my question...
    Ok I got you. That will be interesting to see. I'd be interested in seeing how a phone number plays a part in checking given that we'd all be able to use it on iPods and iPads. From that image, the only thing I can think about is that the device is checking to see if the corresponding phone number is using a iOS and not necessarily mean we have to register the number. I mean once we activate the iPhone (I'm assuming this would be done again after the OS update) Apple already knows if a phone number belongs to one of their devices. So it seems this would just be checking the information they already know. So I would think that if a person had different iPhones with different numbers, it won't matter because it's just checking the number you are sending to. Just my thoughts. We will see.
    06-09-11 01:42 PM
    I think people are forgetting this works by contact. When u type the phone it locates the contact. It's like when u type in google search and it does auto fill.

That's at least my understanding
    06-09-11 03:12 PM
    I think people are forgetting this works by contact. When u type the phone it locates the contact. It's like when u type in google search and it does auto fill.

That's at least my understanding
    I agree but I think when you are using an entry or contact that has a phone number it has to check by their number if they are on an iPhone. For instance, if I just typed my wife's name, how else would the phone know she has an iphone? I mean if I don't have her iTunes ID in my address book, I would have to think it needs to use the number. And if my wife's name if different in my phone than her iTunes ID, how would it recognize her and an iOS user? I would guess by her number. I'm pretty sure we won't have many iTunes IDs of our contacts so it seems it would need to use the number for iPhone contacts in many cases.
    06-09-11 03:50 PM
    Wouldn't there be some integration of tying the phone number to the serial number of the device?
    06-09-11 05:21 PM
    Wouldn't there be some integration of tying the phone number to the serial number of the device?
    It appears not. It will tie to either your phone number or your Apple ID. The UDID thing is a nightmare anyway. Imagine trying to copy that from all your contacts.
    06-09-11 05:34 PM
    You don't have to do anything. It knows the other person is on iOS5 and then adds an icon next to their name so you know. No emails need to be sent, no confirming or inviting anyone.
    06-09-11 08:45 PM
    I'm not certain if this has been covered yet. But if someone has an ipod, iphone and ipad and they get sent a message will it go to all 3 devices and then it will use triple the data? If so that would suck.

06-09-11 08:53 PM
    I'm not certain if this has been covered yet. But if someone has an ipod, iphone and ipad and they get sent a message will it go to all 3 devices and then it will use triple the data? If so that would suck.

That's a good question. I would think it goes to each device since you can pick the convo up on another device. Think of it like email.... if you have your email set up on your iPhone, ipad and ipod, you would get the email on all 3. Just my thoughts.
    06-09-11 09:39 PM

If all three devices are on and logged in, that's the way it should work. It shouldn't be that big a deal though, it's not like text messages use much data. Even if each one took up 1KB, you would have to send 10,000 to use 10MB.
    06-09-11 10:09 PM
    It could end using a lot. Say even half of the devices Apple has out there are logged in(do you have to log in or is it always on like bbm?) It would be 100 million x 1kb a message and if you those people were having a conversation with someone which ends up being a whole lot of messages it will add up fast. That would be a(very) rare occurance though. I'm sure they thought this all out though.

06-09-11 10:18 PM
110 12345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD