I just want to say, in anticipation of iOS 5, and iMessage, I've already deleted all those stupid IM apps that are inconsistent (BeeJive, LiveProfile, Ping!, WhatsApp, etc.)

Just saying...
    lol good idea!
    06-07-11 10:27 AM
    Does iMessage have unlimited characters like BBM. People keep calling it an SMS/MMS service which I thought were code for text messages.

Either way this is exciting news.
    06-07-11 01:19 PM
    Just found out that with iMessage instead of using 2 different apps like BBM and Texting iOS5 just detects if the person you are texting has a iDevice and changed it right in the Text Message app. Pretty cool.
    06-07-11 01:33 PM
    Does iMessage have unlimited characters like BBM. People keep calling it an SMS/MMS service which I thought were code for text messages.

Either way this is exciting news.
    It works with data so there will not be any character limit.
    06-07-11 01:46 PM
    I just want to say, in anticipation of iOS 5, and iMessage, I've already deleted all those stupid IM apps that are inconsistent (BeeJive, LiveProfile, Ping!, WhatsApp, etc.)

Just saying...
    Same here I just use regular SMS or Google voice with my Android buddies. I'm really looking forward to iOS 5 and the next iPhone release. I'm available for an upgrade and it's going to be so hard to wait till fall when they are both released.
    06-07-11 01:48 PM
    I also came over from a BB Bold 9650 and don't regret it. The iPhone is just easy to use. I don't think that there is ANYTHING I miss about the BB at this point.
    The overwhelming majority of us feel the same way. Blackberry has absolutely no redeeming qualities at this point in time.
    06-07-11 01:51 PM
    It works with data so there will not be any character limit.
    I figured but you know .... journalists...
    06-07-11 02:14 PM
    Just read over at BGR how iMessage is going to work. Bascially, it's integrated into the messaging app and when you start typing your contact's name it will determine on it's own if the person is using an iOS device and make it an iMessage convo vs SMS. So basically you can chat with all your buddies in one app and not switch and you don't have to go through the hassle of adding screen names and PINs and then confirming it. Much easier and will be adopted quickly because of this. Many people stay away from BBM because they don't want to go through the whole thing of exchanging PINs. Then you go through all that and find out only 4 of your friends really take BBM seriously and the rest you still chat SMS. Not everything is in one place. It's already better than BBM.
    voyager01 and rollingrock1988 like this.
    06-07-11 03:48 PM
    I haven't read this entire thread so someone may have already commented on this but he best part of iMessage to me is how Apple integrated it into the OS. If I have been reading correctly iOS5 automatically detects if you are communicating with another iOS5 user and defaults you to using iMessage instead of SMS. Genius!

Too bad RIM never did anything like this with BBM. I know so many people who had or have Blackberry's but never use/used BBM. RIM has not done a very good job marketing BBM to say the least.
    06-07-11 04:26 PM
    RIM doesn't think like apple but I'm pretty sure they'll pay attention now. 120 million devices stealing BBMs thunder.

I haven't this entire thread so someone may have already commented on this. The best part of iMessage to me is how Apple integrated it into the OS. If I have been reading correctly the iOS5 automatically detects if you are communicating with another iOS5 user and defaults you to using iMessage instead of SMS. Genius! Too bad RIM never did anything like this with BBM. I know so many people who had or have Blackberry's but never use/used BBM. RIM has not done a very good job marketing BBM.
    06-07-11 04:29 PM
    Who wants to take bets that BBM will be able to automatically detect and add people in some time in the near(er) future?
    06-07-11 04:37 PM
    I haven't read this entire thread so someone may have already commented on this but he best part of iMessage to me is how Apple integrated it into the OS. If I have been reading correctly iOS5 automatically detects if you are communicating with another iOS5 user and defaults you to using iMessage instead of SMS. Genius!

Too bad RIM never did anything like this with BBM. I know so many people who had or have Blackberry's but never use/used BBM. RIM has not done a very good job marketing BBM to say the least.
    I think they'll started working on it ASAP. My first BB was, I think the first, bold and I never touched bbm. Had no clue what it even was the entire time I owned the phone. It wasn't until my next bold a few years and an iPhone later that my sons baseball team mom wanted to add all the parents with BB into a bbm group. I was hooked after that. No thanks to RIm though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    06-07-11 05:21 PM
    i want to say a few things. i have a bb and a iphone. ive had a bb for about 4 years now and i got my first iphone in february 2010.

1. its about time they finally have their own bb type app. i actually sent jobs a long email about this (not that he read it).

2. i dislike the integration with the messaging app. how will statuses work? display pics? i wish they were separate. What if I WANT to text someone, i will probably have to go to contacts and send them a text from there due to the fact they might be travelling and texting is cheaper than data. I dont know, this whole thing doesnt look good to me just yet. But im happy anyway. im sure a jailbreak developer will be able to fix some if not all my concerns anyway.

3. someone asked if the id will be tied to the phone. no it wont, its tied to your itunes email account as far as I understand this. But that could change between now and the fall.

4. getting rid of liveprofile and android is not really smart (but to each their own). imessage is iphones, ipads and ipods only. U still need a liveprofile or a whatsapp if u want something for bb or androids to iphone.

i wouldnt be surprised if someone cracks the imessage app and u are able to get it from cydia or somewhere soon.

i wouldnt do it cuz u lose your jailbreak. big deal breaker for me
    Roo Zilla likes this.
    06-07-11 05:36 PM
    Interesting... iOS is becoming more intriguing to me.

Couple of questions:

Does iCloud work with only music for now? I read somewhere that it may affect Dropbox.

Also, is there any talk of reducing the role of iTunes? Can't find anything on that, but I can hope...
    06-07-11 11:57 PM
    iOS 5 and all of its new features is the reason i will be ditching my blackberry in the fall (after being a loyal user and defender!). i really cannot wait for this and the new iphone to roll out. imessage is genius!
    06-08-11 12:07 AM
    Interesting... iOS is becoming more intriguing to me.

Couple of questions:

Does iCloud work with only music for now? I read somewhere that it may affect Dropbox.

Also, is there any talk of reducing the role of iTunes? Can't find anything on that, but I can hope...
    iCloud is mostly for syncing data, stuff like contacts, calendars, settings, app data, etc., etc., all done wirelessly. No need for a computer. iTunes Match is the music service. Basically, it reads the database of your local music collection. It then matches tags to see if it's in the iTunes catalog. If it's already there, there's no need to upload it. If it's not, it will upload to their servers. Once that's done, you can download, or push (depending on settings), any of your music onto any of your iDevices.

As for iTunes, it seems likely that internet enabled iDevices will no longer need iTunes, or even a computer for that matter, if you choose to use iCloud.
    06-08-11 01:13 AM
    iCloud is mostly for syncing data, stuff like contacts, calendars, settings, app data, etc., etc., all done wirelessly. No need for a computer. iTunes Match is the music service. Basically, it reads the database of your local music collection. It then matches tags to see if it's in the iTunes catalog. If it's already there, there's no need to upload it. If it's not, it will upload to their servers. Once that's done, you can download, or push (depending on settings), any of your music onto any of your iDevices.

As for iTunes, it seems likely that internet enabled iDevices will no longer need iTunes, or even a computer for that matter, if you choose to use iCloud.
    Thank you...

So if I want to use iOS in a cloud fashion (no itunes, background sync) I'd have to pay right?
    06-08-11 06:13 AM
    Thank you...

So if I want to use iOS in a cloud fashion (no itunes, background sync) I'd have to pay right?
    No. You only pay if you use the iTunes Match service, which allows you to scan and match music in your iTunes library to it's counterpart in the iTunes music store (at, for most, a higher bitrate).
    06-08-11 06:22 AM
    I can't see myself using iTunes match services. Not without a lawyer looking over their terms and agreement. How are they randomly going to allow everyone to back up their music collection which would basically include stolen music for only 25 bucks. Doesn't sound a tad bit insane?

And I'm not a fan of this aac version of the music. If it was mp3 I would be interested but not some format that basically only works with apple products
    06-08-11 08:18 AM

3. someone asked if the id will be tied to the phone. no it wont, its tied to your itunes email account as far as I understand this. But that could change between now and the fall.

The way I understand it, iMessage will work the same way FaceTime works on an iPod Touch. Each device will be able to register iMessage with a native email on the device so multiple Apple products will be able to iMessage each other while only using one iTunes account.
    06-08-11 08:49 AM
    I can't see myself using iTunes match services. Not without a lawyer looking over their terms and agreement. How are they randomly going to allow everyone to back up their music collection which would basically include stolen music for only 25 bucks. Doesn't sound a tad bit insane?
    I don't think you're understanding it correctly. It's not stealing music for 25 bucks. It allows the user to match their music that they haven't bought via iTunes (like ripping CDs or whatever) to also be able to be used in the cloud so they don't have to purchase their music again and have it all it sync. Apple already has the deal in place with the music companies to allow this so there should be no legal issues whatsoever. Don't over think it.
    06-08-11 10:38 AM
    The way I understand it, iMessage will work the same way FaceTime works on an iPod Touch. Each device will be able to register iMessage with a native email on the device so multiple Apple products will be able to iMessage each other while only using one iTunes account.
    That's exactly correct
    06-08-11 11:45 AM
    i want to say a few things. i have a bb and a iphone. ive had a bb for about 4 years now and i got my first iphone in february 2010.

1. its about time they finally have their own bb type app. i actually sent jobs a long email about this (not that he read it).

2. i dislike the integration with the messaging app. how will statuses work? display pics? i wish they were separate. What if I WANT to text someone, i will probably have to go to contacts and send them a text from there due to the fact they might be travelling and texting is cheaper than data. I dont know, this whole thing doesnt look good to me just yet. But im happy anyway. im sure a jailbreak developer will be able to fix some if not all my concerns anyway.

4. getting rid of liveprofile and android is not really smart (but to each their own). imessage is iphones, ipads and ipods only. U still need a liveprofile or a whatsapp if u want something for bb or androids to iphone.

i wouldnt be surprised if someone cracks the imessage app and u are able to get it from cydia or somewhere soon.

i wouldnt do it cuz u lose your jailbreak. big deal breaker for me
    Interesting you don't like the integration. I see your point when international travel is involved but I would think for a majority of users the default to iMessage over SMS would be a money saver.

I wish my Blackberry would default my contacts to using BBM when possible. Most people are so ingrained to SMS and I think many find it a hassle to switch between two messaging applications.
    06-08-11 12:38 PM

Most likely, you will be able to shut it off if you want.
    06-08-11 12:51 PM
    Interesting you don't like the integration. I see your point when international travel is involved but I would think for a majority of users the default to iMessage over SMS would be a money saver.

I wish my Blackberry would default my contacts to using BBM when possible. Most people are so ingrained to SMS and I think many find it a hassle to switch between two messaging applications.
    There's the rub... one reason I found it hard to leave BlackBerry was BBM. The thing was that eventually, my BBM contact pool kept on getting smaller and smaller. I believe the closed nature of BBM sometimes hurts it.

And now, Apple is doing the same thing. I think the outcome may be a bit different though. Apple is very good at making that keep folks dialed into the ecosystem.

Even if I changed to iOS, I doubt that I'd use the proprietary system. I am a big proponent of cross-platform operability.

Again, if it is confirmed that iTunes is NOT required for daily operation (and I could keep my current plan on Sprint), I'd consider it.
    06-08-11 01:06 PM
110 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD